• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya devs reveal sales figures

Dylan

Dunno why anyone ever thought the Ouya was going to work. I can only imagine what sales numbers on software will look like after the "flashy new thing!" effect has gone away 6 months from now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
While the initial numbers stink, you do know that the game will continue to sell yes?
Have you considered the possibility that the 60k + launch are the bulk of Ouya life time sales?

Possibly. They already backed down from free-to-play to free-to-try. I know for shadowgun, which I'd never played on mobile, I got one measly free level before being asked to pay with no indication this wasn't going to be just another generic shooter.

Lots of people have mentioned there is enough free stuff to keep them happy without ever buying. I've only bought 1 game so far. Whether that's because devs are being too generous or because the content isn't compelling enough? It's probably 50-50

Well, I probably would have spent at least a couple of bucks just try out the thing I bought if nothing was free.

McLovin

""We've made about 2,000 sales so far at $15 each," Thorson said. "So sales have been surprisingly high for a new game on a new console. The game has definitely proven itself on Ouya, I think there's enough demand to warrant bringing it to PC.""

Not terrible.
Yeah, but if you keep reading the picture gets really gloomy.

dubq

I'm just glad I got my Kickstarter money back via selling the "console" on eBay. What a pile of garbage that turned out to be... -_-

James Coote

Neo Member
That's dreadful. But the install base is insanely low, don't know what they expected.

I think most OUYA developers expected that and were willing to take a risk that if OUYA sales really take off, it'll have been worth it getting in on the ground floor.

It's always been a chicken and egg thing with OUYA. Need devs and games to sell consoles, need console numbers to attract game devs

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm I wrong for thinking that many of this games would have sold much better on almost any other platforms, including flops like the Vita and Wii U?

Bing Gordon feeling pretty good about that $15 million investment.

Nintendo should buy them.

Have you considered the possibility that the 60k + launch are the bulk of Ouya life time sales?

OUYA, Kickstarter: 58,221 sales

OUYA, USA Retail, Launch Period = 13,000-17,000 sales

Considering the underwhelming retail launch and the tiny userbase, most definitely. I think once OUYA's LTD gets >100,000 units, sales will dramatically taper off and adoption will be very slow (like 4,000 units a month worldwide).

Bing Gordon feeling pretty good about that $15 million investment.

To this day I still can't believe any venture capital firm thought it was a good idea to put THAT much money into such an untested concept.

I would hope so. Thinking you're superior to someone because you've been registered longer? That's a bit sad.

Agreed.

Back on topic, can the Ouya bounce back after the bad initial reviews?

It really seems like the poor launch and terrible controller crushed any hype the platform had going for it...

RMI

Banned
the worst part about ouya was the shitty as fuck controller. what a waste.

oh, you mean "the stradivarius of controllers"?

I can 't believe how much they hyped this piece of crap. I feel sorry for the Devs who wasted their time on the platform.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed.

It really seems like the poor launch and terrible controller crushed any hype the platform had going for it...

The controller isn't that bad (at least the version I got). Sure, it feels rough and the triggers feel very cheap, but I have used worse.

Found some more stats for the game "Retro Racing":

Source: http://www.mrqwak.com/2013/07/retro-racing-ouya-sales-and-stats/

Extrapolating from that chart, you can get Retro Racing's daily OUYA sales performance:

Retro Racing sales on OUYA (since launch)

Wed, 10-July - 28 sales
Thu, 11-July - 14 sales
Fri, 12-July - 25 sales
Sat, 13-July - 37 sales
Sun, 14-July - 30 sales
Mon, 15-July - 18 sales
Tue, 16-July - 34 sales
Wed, 17-July - 19 sales
Thur, 18-July - 28 sales
Fri, 19-July - 18 sales
Sat, 20-July - 23 sales
Sun, 21-July - 41 sales

Total: 315 sales as of July 21st, 2013
13,116 downloads as of July 21st, 2013

liger05

To this day I still can't believe any venture capital firm thought it was a good idea to put THAT much money into such an untested concept.

Read too many smartphone blogs which predict that game consoles will be no more.

James Coote

Neo Member
The controller isn't that bad (at least the version I got). Sure, it feels rough and the triggers feel very cheap, but I have used worse.

Ah, but that's the perception, and it's gonna be hard for OUYA to shake now

To quote one of the devs from the gammasutra article: (source)

The controllers had some serious problems: the thumbstick accuracy issue, and the "buttons getting stuck" problem, were the really heinous ones. But to their credit, they've fixed these issues, and they're replacing controllers for free... and the other controller complaints I've heard are either very subjective "feel" issues, or issues with the Bluetooth signal range.

[snip]

"The Ouya has a crap controller" is the story I keep hearing; but if Ouya would keep proactively replacing old controllers, and getting the word out about doing so, maybe they could still change that story.

Just for a meaningless comparison, here are the numbers for RCR on all platforms.

PSN - 35k units and 600k revenue (Doesn't include PS+ Freebie period)
PC - 40k units and 400k revenue
Xbox live - 15k Units and 200k revenue
Wii Ware - 2k units and 10k revenue

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/where-retro-city-rampage-made-its-money/

Granted, these are LTD numbers as of March 17, 2013 but most of these sales happen in the initial weeks so i think that most of the Ouya sales are pretty terrible.

shandy706

edit: heh

iB1TtlS.png

I agree with him. Should go PC for that good money.

Heheh

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed.

I never expected it to sell much more than their kickstart numbers. But I didnt expect software numbers to be this bad. A no insignificant number of games must be on the single digits. We are talking about not recovering the devkit investment...

Fox Mulder

I'm enjoying my ouya as an emulator and media box, and haven't bought anything yet. It's still better than a roku for me. I suppose I should buy some games, but the install base is still very low anyways.

The store is clunky, some demos of games and free stuff are good enough, and it's hard to figure out how to actually buy some games. The pricing for some games is stupid as well, $15 was seen as high on XBLA for incredible polished games, but I believe Wind Up Knight is $20 on the ouya...wut?

the worst part about ouya was the shitty as fuck controller. what a waste.

I keep hearing this, but it's not the worst controller in the world. My only real gripe is the shitty dpad, but everyone seems to have forgotten how to make those now. It's still awful on the 360, even with their over engineered twisting dpad garbage.

I'm enjoying my ouya as an emulator and media box, and haven't bought anything yet. It's still better than a roku for me. I suppose I should buy some games, but the install base is still very low anyways.

The store is clunky, some demos of games and free stuff are good enough, and it's hard to figure out how to actually buy some games.

I keep hearing this, but don't see it. My only real gripe is the shitty dpad, but everyone seems to have forgotten how to make those now. It's still awful on the 360, even with their over engineered twisting dpad garbage.

3+ Ouya controllers with everyone pressing buttons at once, and you will notice significant input lag.

Is this how we make threads now? Just paste a like, no comment, no quote, nothing? I can read other sites just well, thank you very much
My work computer doesn't allow me to go to gaming sites, Gaf being the exception for some reason, so I'm glad the OP posted the quotes and spared his forced comment just to say something.

Depressing news though for a lot of these indie devs.

Nugg

My work computer doesn't allow me to go to gaming sites, Gaf being the exception for some reason, so I'm glad the OP posted the quotes and spared his forced comment just to say something.

There wasn't any quote when I posted my comment. Just the link. He edited later.

Shay Pierce ported Bennett Foddy's Get on Top, and has sold 520 copies for $2 each on 9,700 downloads. After Ouya took its 30 percent cut, Pierce said the game has earned a grand total of $728.

Ouch.

I mean, I knew the Ouya would flounder somewhat but that's kind of shocking to read.

Top Bottom