• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA trademarks "Helldivers" - one of PS4's first-year exclusives?

Mifune

Mehmber
Last Friday, Sony Computer Entertainment America registered the domain "helldiversgame.com." The Helldiver was a bomber aircraft employed by the US Navy during World War II, so perhaps "Helldivers" or "Hell Divers" could be an air combat game. Or if Sony wants to be incredibly literal, the title could be a reference to diving into the underworld and demon stuff.

http://kotaku.com/the-strange-prey-2-situation-1134835391

Maybe this is Stig's game for Sony Santa Monica? Something related to Uncharted 4? Free-to-play air combat?

I have a feeling it's not an air combat game. Cool title regardless.

Metfanant

my guess...

shooter...slightly into the future...some sort of special ops force...

lock it up!

Edit: of course that could be me looking at this from the ODST "Hell Jumpers" from Halo angle...

Mifune

Mehmber
the name sounds like SSM-ish, if that make any sense

Stig's new game?

That was my first thought. Could be the name of the vehicle-driven sci-fi action-adventure game that project is rumored to be.

If they're registering now, there's a good chance we'll find out what it is next week.

Gun Animal

It would be nice to have a WWII game on the PS4, if only to see that old familiar setting on an 8th gen console. Count me in.

fake edit: also count me in if it's a modern setting, or hell, or anything. I don't even care anymore, you had me at SCEA.

wasnt SSM's new game supposed to have huge mechs? maybe its the name of the mechs or the people piloting it.

Count me in twice if it's mechs. If it's super-mechs instead of real-mechs, count me in three times. I'm way in, is the point.

I so want the name to be literal. A game about mercenaries diving into sinkholes that lead into the gates of hell - kicking ass as they get ever closer to the center of hell - and fighting Satan himself.

Would love a good air combat game, ace combat has left a huge hole unfilled. Unfortunately its more likely to be something else, like what was suggested in the op.

B.O.O.M

Here's my wild guess...a Voltron like game where there are smaller mech bodies but they combine to kick butt of bigger enemies

Alvarez

Banned
In Helldivers, players will ultimately assume the role of the Archangel Michael, who has been tasked with entering Hell and defeating the Fallen Angel, Lucifer. When Michael dives into this fiery underworld's depths, however, he soon learns that not everything is as it seems.

Helldivers explores the life and childhood of an angel named Lucifer, his descent, and the resulting all-encompassing war between Heaven and Hell. Featuring the greatest aerial combat ever seen in a video game, players will manage armies by the thousands while also participating in intense first-person combat--on the ground, in the air, and even under leagues of molten flame.

The armies of Heaven and Hell grow desperate in the face of the single most important battle that will ever be waged...

- Upgrade your wings by ripping them off and replacing them with enchanted obsidian; fly faster, and with a razor's edge. Sacrifice your demon minions' sight to craft scrying orbs that will sneak into enemy territory and give you the advantage.

- Dismantle Earth to reinforce the Heavenly Plateau. Enslave humanity and use them as shields.

- Suck the life out of nearby stars to power Hell's dreadnoughts. Collect the halos of slain angels, melt them down in the fiery pit of Albumen, and craft them into artifacts of terrible power.

- Play alone, with a friend, or with thousands online. Assume the role of Michael, Lucifer, or of 8 other Archangels and Fallen Angels.

Summer 2014. It's gonna be a hot one. Take a dive... into

HELLDIVERS

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword." - Jesus Christ, Matthew 10:34

It would be nice to have a WWII game on the PS4, if only to see that old familiar setting on an 8th gen console. Count me in.

I so want the name to be literal. A game about mercenaries diving into sinkholes that lead into the gates of hell - kicking ass as they get ever closer to the center of hell - and fighting Satan himself.

how about both, a bomber aircraft pilot enter the gate of hell fighting demons and creatures in there. :D

cuilan

Maybe Sony is funding a AAA remake of Raiden Fighters 2.

idK24dB378CJ3.jpg

Day 1

Samyy

In Helldivers, players will ultimately assume the role of the Archangel Michael, who has been tasked with entering Hell and defeating the Fallen Angel, Lucifer. When Michael dives into this fiery underworld's depths, however, he soon learns that not everything is as it seems.

Helldivers explores the life and childhood of an angel named Lucifer, his descent, and the resulting all-encompassing war between Heaven and Hell. Featuring the greatest aerial combat ever seen in a video game, players will manage armies by the thousands while also participating in intense first-person combat--on the ground, in the air, and even under leagues of molten flame.

The armies of Heaven and Hell grow desperate in the face of the single most important battle that will ever be waged...

- Upgrade your wings by ripping them off and replacing them with enchanted obsidian; fly faster, and with a razor's edge. Sacrifice your demon minions' sight to craft scrying orbs that will sneak into enemy territory and give you the advantage.

- Dismantle Earth to reinforce the Heavenly Plateau. Enslave humanity and use them as shields.

- Suck the life out of nearby stars to power Hell's dreadnoughts. Collect the halos of slain angels, melt them down in the fiery pit of Albumen, and craft them into artifacts of terrible power.

- Play alone, with a friend, or with thousands online. Assume the role of Michael, Lucifer, or of 8 other Archangels and Fallen Angels.

HELLDIVERS

"I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword." - Jesus Christ, Matthew 10:34

Boy you thought that one up quick, cool!

Mifune

Mehmber

HELLDIVERS

SOLD.

HELLDIVERS

You. Open a game studio and make that shit STAT. This would be an AMAZING game!

Amauri14

HELLDIVERS

GOTY
∞/10

Aytrial

HELLDIVERS

Yes. Yes!

Now you've gone and ruined whatever this trademark is for. Nothing an live up to this

Squire

Banned

HELLDIVERS

Flawless.

TriGen

Boy you thought that one up quick, cool!

Yeah. The speed and quality of that write-up is amazing.

Anyway, it always seems like we hear about trademarks for Sony games before they're revealed, so hopefully we know what the real Helldivers is this year.

honestly, I'm kinda over with the gritty angels vs demons stuff. especially the name Lucifer and Michael.

I kinda want it to have some heavy metal vibe, SSM are pretty good at that, I kinda feel GoW have some metal influence in their design too, with Ares and Hades

FeiRR

Banned

HELLDIVERS

You, sir, have a talent.

I'd love a game like that. I'm a sucker for "war of hell vs heaven" theme. That's why the first Darksiders delivered as much as the second failed storywise.

A WWII game? I'm ready. Take me back to the Pacific in next gen glory!

Alternatively, this could literally be a game about the life of a diver. Those guys have one hell of a job, you know.

Alvarez

Banned
Yes. Yes!

Now you've gone and ruined whatever this trademark is for. Nothing an live up to this

Maybe the real press release will help bring you down from the hype:

In Helldivers, players assume the role of Greg Anderson, a fearless white male American war veteran thrown into the chaos of World War II.

- Collect guns and bullets to shoot and kill enemies!

- Traverse enemy territory to find enemies so that you can kill them!

- Explosions!

- After completing the four hour campaign, players will be allowed to play Helldivers' online multiplayer mode for only 10 dollars a month!

- Exclusively for the iPhone, but it will be ported to PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC, the Wii, the Wii-U, the Nintendo DS, the Nintendo 3DS, the Nintendo Wii 2, and the PS2 in--yesterday. Yesterday.

- DLC!

Helldivers: DIVE. INTO. HELL.

RELEASE DATE TBA

A Gamestop Exclusive

Pre-order Helldivers at Gamestop to get the ending to the game absolutely free!

"No, I don't want no scrub. A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me." - Thomas Jefferson

Don't forget to LIKE us on Facebook to get 1% more Gamestop credit when you turn in used copies of Xenoblade!

ALWAYS-ON INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED

Skerj

HELLDIVERS

Bought. If only. ..

HELLDIVERS

Holy shit. I would buy this game immediately. Also, as another poster said, it's impressive that you thought about all that very quick.

Gun Animal

how about both, a bomber aircraft pilot enter the gate of hell fighting demons and creatures in there. :D

I could see Grasshopper or Platinum doing something like that, but Sony... I dunno, man. It's unfortunate that whatever the game is, it's not going to be nearly as interesting as the ideas in this thread.

HELLDIVERS

Please somebody. Make this game

Fnord

A minor thing, but the Helldiver was never a US Navy plane. We had Hellcats, but the Brits had Helldivers (a name give to three different planes over a pretty decent stretch of time).

HELLDIVERS

Damn. That sounds amazing. Someone make this game.

Top Bottom