• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RemotePlay with PS Vita TV is a lagless, slightly compressed experience - GamesRadar

plainr_

Sony continued to shine a spotlight on PS Vita TV during its Tokyo Game Show keynote, talking up the little device's ability to stream Vita, PS3, and PS4 games. But how they would look, and--more importantly--how they would play, was yet to be known. As soon as the show floor opened we made a beeline to Sony's booth, and after getting hands-on with the hardware we left with mixed opinions.

There's definitely a visual hit when you're using the PS Vita TV to play PS4 games. We played Knack, one of the console's flagship launch titles, and though it looked good, there was definitely something a bit off. In a way, it almost looked like we were watching a YouTube video running at 1080p--it was serviceable, and looked good, but had minor tinges of compression.

That's the (relatively minor) bad news. The good news is that it played flawlessly. During our 10-minute demo we experienced no lag whatsoever. It felt as though we were playing a game running on the hardware, not a game being streamed wirelessly to it. So while you're not getting the full-fledged next-gen experience (especially if you're playing using a PS3 controller, as we were), you're definitely getting an extremely solid experience.

Well, so long as you live in Japan--Sony still hasn't announced plans to release PS Vita TV in the US/UK, despite using almost exclusively Americans in the promotional images and ad campaigns. Hopefully that is alleviated soon, since we're definitely excited for this interesting piece of tech.

http://www.gamesradar.com/playing-ps4-games-ps-vita-tv-lagless-slightly-compressed-experience/

More impressions of Remote Play from Engadget:

Remote Play functionality was similarly impressive. There was zero perceptible lag between PlayStation 4 on-screen action and what we were inputting on the Vita. The same sentiment applies to input directly on the Vita for the PS4 game we were playing: no lag, as if Knack were a game being played locally on the Vita. How this will play out with your own home WiFi is another question altogether, which we'll test more thoroughly when we get PlayStation 4 review units in the coming weeks. As of right now, it more than stands up to NVIDIA's Shield. If anything, it bests the Shield's streaming performance with zero hitches while we played.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/hands-on-playstation-vita-2013/

Seems the acquisition of Gaikai has paid off. Remote Play seems to be equivalent if not better than Nvidia Shield according to Engadget.

Liamario

Banned
Lag or lack thereof is far more important than any slight compression issues. IQ can improve over time and besides I don't think anyone expect a crystal clear image.

DBT85

Much better in a new thread. Ta.

Great to hear no lag on either Vita TV or the Vita itself.

Will be very interesting to see how well that translates when playing a few miles away or further, though of course that is all dependant on your connection.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is sure to make me buy a Vita.

Sony's vision with PS4, Vita and Vita TV is simply remarkable.

Bishop89

as i said in the other thread

as impressive as it is that there is no perceptive lag, im pretty sure they would have played literally less than a metre from the ps4, i'd be worried if there was any lag that close.

Im sure the further you are and what type of connection it is, the lag might be noticeable.
Wont bother me, as I mainly game at home from about 3 metres from my consoles :)

for people planning to play at work or whatever, im sure there MIGHT be lag, of course I have no idea how good remote play is with the ps4.

Also, I dont really care about 'compression' Wont affect the experience :)

Certinty

Great news. I think the biggest fear people had with remote play was lag and thankfully that's cleared up now.

demolitio

Will this work for online games by any chance? Obviously it wouldn't be ideal but it'd be handy at times when I'm down and out for a few weeks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lag or lack thereof is far more important than any slight compression issues. IQ can improve over time and besides I don't think anyone expect a crystal clear image.

Some minor compression when blown up on a big Tv I can live with. Hopefully that is not visible (or at least less visible) on an actual vita.

Demolito - should work with any game - the PS4 is just sending the final image to your vita. i hope they don't restrict this - I'd like to be able to play videos too - assuming PS4 has DLNA because the vita doesn't. So that'd give me plex access on vita

I'm so happy to hear this. I can play something like Knack or Driveclub while I'm watching Netflix on PS3.

Ha, just realised you could use it to watch and play at the same time. I always only thought of the "wife comes into the room and wants to watch TV" scenario.

This will be great for doing low-attention activities like grinding for loot or turn based games while catching up on TV.

VanWinkle

Ha, just realised you could use it to watch and play at the same time. I always only thought of the "wife comes into the room and wants to watch TV" scenario.

This will be great for doing low-attention activities like grinding for loot or turn based games while catching up on TV.

Exactly.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Compression is something i can live with. Lag was something I can't live with. Really excited for this. Great news. I hope they announce the Vita TV for the US soon!

Quasar

I question I have about this is the fact that the VitaTV has ethernet. So I'm wondering if using that would enable less compression.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want remote play on the PS3. I'm likely to keep my Ps3 for a while because of my backlog, but if PS3 could remote play from PS4, I could move my PS3 to the spare room instead of needing a vita TV

DBT85

Will this work for online games by any chance? Obviously it wouldn't be ideal but it'd be handy at times when I'm down and out for a few weeks.

I think the only games they said it won;t work with are ones that NEED the Move or specific functions on the PS Eye.

Every game submitted to SCE has a default button layout applied, unless they provide one themselves, and they have been encouraged to provide one specific to their game.

I want remote play on the PS3. I'm likely to keep my Ps3 for a while because of my backlog, but if PS3 could remote play from PS4, I could move my PS3 to the spare room instead of needing a vita TV

I am wondering about this too. I guess if they are putting Gaikai on it then they'd be able to add PS4 RP.

as i said in the other thread

for people planning to play at work or whatever, im sure there MIGHT be lag, of course I have no idea how good remote play is with the ps4.

Also, I dont really care about 'compression' Wont affect the experience :)
Doesn't matter how far you are from the PS4, matters how far you are from your access point. If you have a well distributed wireless access at home you'll have a lag free experience anywhere.

Also using the Vita TV for remote play seems like a bad choice, you're going to get a 540p stream upscaled to the TV res. I'm sure the loss in quality they're mentioning won't be as noticeable, if at all, on a normal Vita.

DBT85

When playing PS4 games on your Vita, does it go through the internet or just broadcasts like the WiiU gamepad?

You can connect your Vita directly to the PS3/4, or you can connect via the internet.

So both.

Doesn't matter how far you are from the PS4, matters how far you are from your access point. If you have a well distributed wireless access at home you'll have a lag free experience anywhere.

Also using the Vita TV for remote play seems like a bad choice, you're going to get a 540p stream upscaled to the TV res. I'm sure the loss in quality they're mentioning won't be as noticeable, if at all, on a normal Vita.

Why 540p? The Vita TV can output 720p and I've not seen anything to suggest that PS4 RP is limited to native Vita res. PS4 is going to be rendering games at the games native res and downscaling anyway. Maybe it can output different options depending on the RP client. If its Vita then 544, if its VitaTv then 720.

artist

Banned
If anything, it bests the Shield's streaming performance with zero hitches while we played.
v40g6ngq7h.gif

I question I have about this is the fact that the VitaTV has ethernet. So I'm wondering if using that would enable less compression.

the current vita remote play have quality setting you can choose, it can have better quality stream, but require higher bandwidth etc. I expect the same with VitaTV, connecting it through ethernet will just make your connection better so you can affor the high quality setting I assume

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I'm sure YMMV with certain games. Graphic intensive games like Resogun is surely gonna look like a compressed mess during remote play, but that remains to be seen I guess.

Edit: don't know where I got retrogun from. It's late.

I'm sure YMMV with certain games. Graphic intensive games like Retrogun is surely gonna look like a compressed mess during remote play, but that remains to be seen I guess.

resogun is coming natively to Vita I think, although the visual will be different thatn PS4 ver, vita can't handle all that voxels

edit: ignore what I said, resogun is ps4 exclusive I think, don't know where I hear about vita version

senahorse

So can I use ethernet for this instead of wireless? If that doesn't improve the quality I will probably just use HDMI over Ethernet adapters for the other TV's and hope the controller has good range.

iceatcs

When playing PS4 games on your Vita, does it go through the internet or just broadcasts like the WiiU gamepad?
I think it can do both, with or without router. The router/internet will enable the remote play goes outside away from home.

DBT85

resogun is coming natively to Vita I think, although the visual will be different thatn PS4 ver, vita can't handle all that voxels

They've said they aren't thinking about Vita yet.

Inevitability, the question of a possible PlayStation Vita version was brought up, with Housemarque saying, “Not in the current form, too many voxels to handle, that exploding stuff requires a lot of muscles. But who knows.” Probably due to an overwhelming amount of the same question, they then sent out a broad answer that read, “For those asking about ResoGun on Vita: we are focusing on PS4 for the time being, taking advantage of the platform’s muscles :)

$h@d0w

Would it be crazy to expect Wii U quality? That's good enough for me. That is streaming at 720 correct?

It should look slightly better than the Wii U.

PS Vita screen: 960 * 544 at 5" = 221 PPI

Wii U tablet: 854 * 480 at 6.2" = 158 PPI

DBT85

Stupid question, but how does it work the other way by linking it to your PS4?

Your PS4 creates a hotspot you can join. It just does it all automatically.

On the Vita when you open RP it gives you the option of connecting directly or through the WiFi that the Vita is already on.

Darko

ps3 is wireless b/g... i doubt it

No lag is very impressive indeed, but I'm not going to get too excited until there are some non controlled environment impressions out there.

chogidogs

Did they ever release the minimum requirement for this to run properly? I always thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy this since I only get 2mbps on a good day.

DBT85

Did they ever release the minimum requirement for this to run properly? I always thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy this since I only get 2mbps on a good day.

I guess you'd struggle or fail entirely to play it outside of your house. But playing inside your own house will be fine as your download speed is irrelevant.

acm2000

what sort of router hardware were they demoing it on? fairly sure wont be a bog standard, isp provided POS one like most people have

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm not being a cynic here, but I'll believe it when I see it in my own home and not in a controlled environment.

You can connect your Vita directly to the PS3/4, or you can connect via the internet.

So both.

Why 540p? The Vita TV can output 720p and I've not seen anything to suggest that PS4 RP is limited to native Vita res. PS4 is going to be rendering games at the games native res and downscaling anyway. Maybe it can output different options depending on the RP client. If its Vita then 544, if its VitaTv then 720.

The bigger the res the bigger the bitrate. I have my doubts they'll stream higher then the Vita native res.

Wow. I never thought of it like that... Grinding in an RPG won't be anywhere near as much of an issue if I can watch sports on TV whilst doing it etc. Awesome.

Top Bottom