• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slightly Mad: "Wii U is more than capable of providing core Project CARS experience"

oVerde

Banned
Came here hyped for what are Slightly Mad bringing to Gamepad, and found a sad sad thread filled with passive aggressiveness posts and pointless bashing and tropes.

C'mon now, originality with gamepad is what will sell it and competent game studios are up with ideas to bring it on, the post describing how Gamepad could turn into a steering wheel with gas meter and rear mirror was amazing.

Because I really don't see the point of them bringing this to WiiU. It's going to look like a poor cousin to the rest of the systems and I really can't imagine how they will implement a decent driving model using digital triggers.
It's going to be horrible.

Surely you have another system you can buy this game on?

I'm late, but why deny those that want it. I guess devs shouldn't advertise minimum recommended specs for those with lesser hardware. Are they porting up from WiiU to XB0/PS4?

JayFalcon

Banned
In many ways it's weaker than PS3, and its games may never eclipse some of Sony's first-party exclusives on that system.

I own both , the games on Wii U that I own look miles better , and tbh most games looked better on Xbox 360 from the former generation so you would do better to compare with that.

Perhaps, but it's still much closer to PS360 than XBO/PS4 regardless. I'm sure they can get it to work, but it's not going to look much like the next-gen and PC versions at all.

Guess what, its been accepted long time ago. It obviously doesn't matter, to those that anticipate its release.

Raysoul

Dear God, URGH...

I'll get this straight. According to 'Gamer Logic', Bayonetta 2 is 'stealing games' - It should be everywhere else BUT Nintendo consoles (despite Nintendo having expressed a healthy interest in that genre), because of you oh-so deprived high-end PC/prospective X4 console owners, and having a cross-platform game is 'stealing resources' - It's alright and perfectly acceptable for people to want to deprive Nintendo fans of the chance to play a cross-platform game which is possible on the system they own. Because, You Know, Wii U owners should have nothing, EVER... **Sigh and Roll Eyes**. What's most disheartening is that this mentality has a vile and fierce existence on here, and across sections of the gaming community and industry. You still get to play this CROSS-PLATFORM GAME; What does it matter to you where other people play it, and if they choose to play it on the Wii U, who are you to dictate, and HOW does their playing it there take away from YOUR OWN ENJOYMENT? One despairs.

Please know that you do not speak for 99.9% of anybody about anything. Secondly, if you are playing a different version of a non-exclusive, cross-platform game, you are nobody to tell other people which one they should and shouldn't play. For all you know, it could be that person's system of choice.

Still, there's a chance that people will want to play it on there - They can use the GamePad, or, if it's supported, the Wii Steering Wheel. On a social level, they might want to play and share their experiences on Miiverse. When placed on the spot, those are a number of reasons why one MIGHT choose that version over the others - Because some people prefer to think about different ways of playing and enjoying their games, or HOW they play, and don't care for terafapping over teraflops and tech specs.

The real piss-take here, is the stench of insecurity in that asinine post, and if the fact that it's holding its own against the other versions makes anybody enjoy it less, that's rather unfortunate, and I feel deeply sorry for those type of people (Well, I don't... I just think it's sad and extremely pathetic).

Oh, and I'll leave this Sensible Gaming interview with Project Cars here. They are asked about the Wii U version, and it appears to be shaping very well. If members on here haven't read it before, I hope it can give some better insights.

*pats back*

As for me, I'll wait first for the final build before deciding if I would get this on my Wii U. Hopefully it will be very good.

I'm sure we can all reconvene at launch, it'll be another case of "shock, horror PCars bombed on Wii U", it'll be forgotten a week after launch, that's if it even registers on Wii U gamers radar.

Slightly Mad are clearly drinking the Kool-Aid with their "there's an audience waiting to be served" mantra, something they said last August. There's been plenty of evidence since to show it's utter nonsense. Balls to being wise after the event, it's a very poor business decision to put this on Wii U, and we wonder why devs are going to the wall left, right and centre.

Regardless, the WMD investors paid for a Wii U version.

it's going to happen dude.. It's not like it came out of Slightly Mad's pocketbook.

TheD

The Detective
Why? WiiU is more like Xbone than 360 in design. Pretty sure they mentioned the old hd twins could not pull off enough to warrant what they wanted the game to be.

That is not true!
The reasoning for the dropping of the PS3 and 360 versions has nothing to do with their power vs the WiiU.

That is not true!
The reasoning for the dropping of the PS3 and 360 versions has nothing to do with their power vs the WiiU.

No, it is true. They can and do run the D3D11 code path on Wii U, except for a few effects that need platform specific workarounds or will be dropped. They simply can't do that on PS3 or 360. That's important. Latte simply has a way more modern featureset by virtue of being based on a more modern design. They also use deferred rendering, something the Wii U is quite good at compared to previous generation platforms thanks to it's sizable and fast embedded memory pool.

I'm more inclined to believe wsippel...

TheD

The Detective
I'm more inclined to believe wsippel...

To bad!

I in fact have knowledge of why they dropped it and it is not the reason that was stated by some posters!

No, it is true. They can and do run the D3D11 code path on Wii U, except for a few effects that need platform specific workarounds or will be dropped. They simply can't do that on PS3 or 360. That's important. Latte simply has a way more modern featureset by virtue of being based on a more modern design. They also use deferred rendering, something the Wii U is quite good at compared to previous generation platforms thanks to it's sizable and fast embedded memory pool.

The WiiU does NOT support the D3D11 API and thus it clearly can not support the D3D11 code path!
Even if it could somehow run a D3D11 codepath but with a bunch of effects turned off, that is like saying a D3D10 GPU is a D3D11 GPU just because the GPU can run via the D3D11 API with a lower feature level.

To bad!

I in fact have knowledge of why they dropped it and it is not the reason that was stated by some posters!

The WiiU does NOT support the D3D11 API and thus it clearly can not support the D3D11 code path!

How about you tell us what the reason is! And make sure to use exclamation points!

To bad!

Pretty sure people who claim insider knowledge without any source to back that up risk a ban. You better have your shit together if a mod asks for a citation.

While the WiiU doesn't support DirectX 10/11 per se, it supports some graphical features normally associated with those APIs (tesselation, etc. etc.) It is DirextX 10/11 comparable, IIRC.

I am sure people who follow most WiiU threads will no doubt enjoy the irony of me defending the WiiU's graphical featuresets.

To bad!

Wait, the PS4 and Xbox One operate on Windows?

TheD

The Detective
Not without a source you don't.

Well, if you backed the game you would know.
Hint: The reason itself is not a big secret (and is easily guessable), but I am not sure I am allowed to say it outside the WMD forums.

Pretty sure people who claim insider knowledge without any source to back that up risk a ban. You better have your shit together if a mod asks for a citation.

While the WiiU doesn't support DirectX 10/11 per se, it supports some graphical features normally associated with those APIs (tesselation, etc. etc.) It is DirextX 10/11 comparable, IIRC.

I am sure people who follow most WiiU threads will no doubt enjoy the irony of me defending the WiiU's graphical featuresets.

It is not really "insider info", at least nothing special to me (just the game's backers).

You can also not just bundle DX/D3D10 and DX/D3D11 feature levels in like that, the DX/D3D11 feature level is different from the DX/D3D10 feature level and supporting tessellation does not mean you support DX/D3D11 (as shown by the non D3D11 AMD GPUs that support it (and the 360 GPU).

MYE

cool

D3D11 = DirectX11 right?

What aspects of it over 10.1 can be used on Wii U? Also any specific examples?

BTW, wasn't PS360 only capable of DX9 tech?

Any existing games using effects (aside from true Depth of Field which Pikmin 3 uses) that could not be done on PS360? And I guess PC-grade textures as shown in NFS Most Wanted U and FIFA 13.

Raysoul

AFAIK the Ps360 versions are dropped because they just need to focus on either previous or next-gen, which people voted and the winner is PS4/Xbone. Wii U on the other hand, is one of the earlier targeted platform and they didn't consider to drop it. I don't think it has something to do with power of any of the platforms.

TheD

The Detective
AFAIK the Ps360 versions are dropped because they just need to focus on either previous or next-gen, which people voted and the winner is PS4/Xbone. Wii U on the other hand, is one of the earlier targeted platform and they didn't consider to drop it. I don't think it has something to do with power of any of the platforms.

I guess (based off that post) that someone else has leaked it before.

wsippel

Banned
To bad!

Even if it could somehow run a D3D11 codepath but with a bunch of effects turned off, that is like saying a D3D10 GPU is a D3D11 GPU just because the GPU can run via the D3D11 API with a lower feature level.
Dude, read the fucking Project CARS changelog. If you're as knowledgable as you claim, that really shouldn't be too much to ask. No, the GPU isn't D3D11 compliant, because it does not support the full D3D11 featureset. But its featureset still exceeds D3D10. It's somewhere in-between. It does support most relevant D3D11 features - just not all of them, or at least not in a standard compliant way. That's completely normal and applies to pretty much every GPU ever designed.

TheD

The Detective
Dude, read the fucking Project CARS changelog. If you're as knowledgable as you claim, that really shouldn't be too much to ask. No, the GPU isn't D3D11 compliant, because it does not support the full D3D11 featureset. But its featureset still exceeds D3D10. It's somewhere in-between. It does support most relevant D3D11 features - just not all of them, or at least not in a standard compliant way. That's completely normal and applies to pretty much every GPU ever designed.

"Dude", that still does not mean that it supports running the DX/D3D 11 codepath!
For it to run the DX/D3D11 codepath it would need to support the DX/D3D11 API!

And it also does not mean that the PS3 and 360 had been dropped due to them not being powerful enough (and the game still supports a DX/D3D9 codepath on PC, so it is not like they dropped them for not meeting the features the other APIs have).

wsippel

Banned
"Dude", that still does not mean that it supports running the DX/D3D 11 codepath!
For it to run the DX/D3D11 codepath it would need to support the DX/D3D11 API!

And it also does not mean that the PS3 and 360 had been dropped due to them not being powerful enough (and the game still supports a DX/D3D9 codepath on PC, so it is not like they dropped them for not meeting the features the other APIs have).
Of course it doesn't use D3D. Why would it? I obviously meant the abstracted path before the actual render backend. Slightly Mad uses the same terminology. And I never talked about power.

The WiiU version should look pretty nice *IF* that version of the game had enough time and staff placed on it.

Most third party ports have been poor on WiiU so far but I don't think anyone seriously thinks it's because the console is 'weaker' than PS360. It has 4x the RAM, 32MB's of eDRAM and a GPU which supports DX11 effects. The console is also more like Xbone from an architecture stand point than PS360 although it's much closer to PS360 in performance terms.

Indies are going to be very important to Nintendo in the coming years as they miss out on the big name third party titles so I hope this does really well on WiiU.

Um you have not been on many NEOGAF threads regarding Wii U graphics/tech/power have you. There was just someone a couple pages back that stated Wii U weaker than PS3..... there are MANY people that believe that.

They can believe what they want... it doesn't make them right ;).

well the question wasnt if they were right or wrong... you said you didnt believe people actually believed that and they DO... MANY of them. If you have any doubt and NEOGAF isnt enough go to Beyond3d and talk about Wii U being more powerful and see what responses you get. HA!

It maybe is less powerful on paper as the Cell was a beast tbh in computational terms but aren't the WiiU GPU FLOPs measured differently than the PS360, so 176GFLOPs is actually much higher than the 240GFLOP GPU's in PS360. The modern architecture compared to those GPU's from 2005 will help a lot aswell.

If you compare Smash to Playstation All Stars, Kart to the PS3 Karting games and Bayo to Bayo 2 it's pretty obvious WiiU is a step above PS360, not by much but there is still a leap. At this point if they don't admit there is a leap then they never will although some people don't think there is much of a leap between PS3 to PS4 games and that system is 10x as powerful as PS360 so it's just personal opinion at the end of the day :).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Come on now. By that logic Forza and the GT games shouldn't support using a face button to accelerate or brake?.

Any racing game that supports that type of input is simply not a simulator. They are arcade games.

July

Banned
I own both , the games on Wii U that I own look miles better , and tbh most games looked better on Xbox 360 from the former generation so you would do better to compare with that.

What Wii U game looks better than God of War 3? UC3? TLOU?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh, boy.

A D3D11 codepath does not need to use every single feature introduced by that D3D version. Technically, it needs to use just one D3D11 feature, not available in D3D10, and voila - that already makes it a D3D11 codepath.

The_Lump

Banned
Any racing game that supports that type of input is simply not a simulator. They are arcade games.

This makes very little sense (and is also irrelevant)
By this logic GT, Forza, PCars are not racing sims.... but Sega Rally Arcade is a simulator because it has analog pedals, right?

Also Flight Sim X isn't a simulator guys, because you can use digital input for throttle, yolk, pitch, roll etc.

Cuburt

Getting this day one. I've been following their updates enough to see that they are putting effort into the Wii U version, which is more than I can say for many games that get ported to the system.

If they nail the controls, this had potential to be a great game.

Doesn't look better though.

Well, I'd say that's strictly your opinion. On a technical level, wiiu can dispay a wider range of effects, with higher res textures and at a better framerate than the previous gen consoles. This is a fact, wether you look at marios rocksolid 60fps or just at the hardware specs.

Great that they are putting in the effort and are confident about it.

The (relative to PS360) larger memory pools (eDRAM, 1 GB of usable memory) and more modern feature set probably help.

...those threads are always interesting, weather they shed some light on the hardware...
or show how much some people dislike Nintendo...for reasons

Top Bottom