• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Rumor: Nintendo Revealing New Hardware at E3 [Up: MCV + Videogamer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel like a 3DS update would be beneficial, improving the graphics a bit while giving the system backwards compatibility.
The WiiU successor just seems too far away for me.

A 3DS replacement should be coming soon, but I don't think it's "this year" soon. Personally, I don't see much value in announcing it this year, particularly in June, if it isn't going to be available for the holidays. (However, if they do announce and release it this year, it's likely for the best.)

My guess is they'll announce another 3DS product revision of some sort, or possibly some last ditch effort to revive the Wii U. Whatever QOL is, I'm not expecting any specifics this soon.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3ds2

heard it here first, folks.

Definitely expecting handheld, but not by that name.

Way too early for Wii U successor.

3DS is heavily dated already from a graphics and features perspective. Lot of opportunity for more powerful handheld hardware with an improved feature set.

Popnbake

I'd like a WiiU rebrand, different name, same hardware and compatibility, with or without a new cheaper gamepad. The wii brand is long dead and buried, they need to get away from it.

That would be a good way to rekindle interest without having to redo the whole pipeline. But then Iwata is unpredictable. Though I highly doubt they'd announce anything as major as brand new hardware when they wont even do a live stage.

Nintendo introducing a revised Wii U (w/Gamepad) to be sold at a cheaper price than the current Wii U models is something I would like to see as well.

Then again they just recently announced a Mario Kart 8 bundle so I doubt that's going to be their followup plan.

The 3DS is 3 years old, and I don't think it'll last as long as the DS did (~6 years). I don't think we'll get a 4DS announcement this year, but next year. We can already see their high-profile productions ramping down (compare releases of 2013 to 2014 on the 3DS, it's night and day)

AmyS

Quality of Life Platform.

Not the successor to 3DS, nor the home console replacement for Wii U. Would not expect those until 2016.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
qolrodgr.png

Introducing QOL - Full body scanning, full body gaming™. With QOL, games take the Next Leap Forward!

Until now, gamers looking for motion experiences were limited to a rather basic input where their body movements alone stood for all the entertainment. With QOL, these limits are gone. Incorporating a state-of-the-art, high precision body scan and motion sensor as well as a 180° MultiTouch Screen, you are ready to jump into the game to experiences never before seen. The more you interact with QOL, the more it gets to know you and your body and learns what you like. QOL redefines how people interact with their games, their entertainment and one another.

But gaming isn't the only thing QOL excels at. QOL stands for Quality of Life, and that's precisely what this system can help you with. To help check your health, QOL provides a:

High precision by true simultaneity: a comprehensive diagnostic picture in only one scan

Additionally, QOL can help:

Check your blood pressure and blood glucose levels
Check your temperature
Check your fluid levels
Fully analyze your stool samples to provide advice on how to improve your diet

The system also functions as a contraceptive device. Magic Baby Unit, for nursing practice, and Gamer Table (pictured above) are sold separately.

Hardware facts

Launches:Second quarter of 2015 in the United States
Price: $399.99 for Standard Set / $469.99 for Deluxe Set (includes Gamer Table)
Size: Approximately 199 cm high, 199cm deep and 199 cm long. Bore size 60 cm. Minimum room size 33 m².
Appearance: The new console features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any home entertainment setup. The system will be available in colors Star White and Deep Black upon launch.

MultiTouch screen: QOL incorporates a 180° multitouch screen on the upper inside of the bore. The screen features 48-bit deep colors and a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, progressive scanning.

CPU: IBM Power-based octa-core processor.
GPU: AMD FirePro-based GPU.
Memory capacity: 8 GB DDR4
Storage: QOL uses a 256 GB FCoE over 10GbE storage solution
Media: A proprietary, ADA media-based disc jointly developed with Panasonic, holding 400 GB

Video output: MultiTouch screen at 1080p
Audio output: 5.1 High-res audio output

More details will be made available in the coming weeks and months.

Just for fun of course. Nothing serious, though if anyone would do something like this it would probably be Nintendo.

Kyzer

Banned
Nintendo Life

Wii power but with 1080p output, very few games
Schedules your daily tasks and budgets your savings,
Record and keep track of progress, optional game like elements
Wii Fit integrated,

Includes:
Wii Motion Plus with Wii Sports Club
Vitality sensor
Balance pad.

$149

Games will now be a separate focus.

New Era.

Hohohoho.

If Nintendo reveals a successor to the Wii U, they will have essentially fucked over everyone who pitied them enough to buy the Wii U and enjoy the few fun games it's gathered over the past couple of years.

Unless the new hardware is backward compatible. That way at least you can still use the games and controllers.

Nintendo phone with built in vitality sensor, a shit ton of health apps and a wide range of downloadable games that acts as companion apps to the main handheld/console games.

Streetpass enabled as well.

Yeah no.

The example of the Gamecube was brought up with the mini discs. GTA III was ported to the PC using CD-ROM which has a smaller capacity. It didn't matter the storage size or power of the console, Rockstar was publishing the game on PS2 regardless and wasn't for the GameCube at all.
Wanted to point out the above is not a good example, since the PC supports installation. So it means the information could be hugely compressed and even come in multiple CD's that are just required once when installing the game.

So is not really a good paralel to draw.

On topic:
-Seems like a 3DS revision is a sure bet since at this point is almost mandatory.

-An stretch (but with some logic) would be a Gamepad revision, while it is well designed, that bezel is unnecessarily big and could use an stream down just for a boost in aesthetics.

They want to enforce the gamepad, not get rid of it. On the contrary, a touch device in the household will be key to qol and games. They will never get rid of it. ^^ Adding more hardware, especially a balance board wouldn´t make it cheaper though. The NNID will be key to use all your Nintendo devices together. But don´t expect a Wii U without a tablet, a redesign maybe, but for Nintendo, the tablet is key.
When my Wiipad can't be more than four feet from the system without losing connection, I just don't see household stumbling over themselves to grab one. :/

It's possible it has something to do with a patent they filed regarding interchangeable control parts for a handheld. So maybe a 3DS revision of some sort.
Sh!t.

Been proposing that for years now myself, i even sugested that for the Gamepad since it makes sense for such an expensive controller to have interchangeable parts. Imagine having to replace the hole thing just for abusted thumbstick.

Anyways, it could be related to the 3DS development process. There's an Iwata Asks where they show a prototype that had the ability to swap circle pad and dpad when they weren't sure about positioning.

If NIntendo isn't adding a second circle pad for a 3DS revision, the 2nd best thing would be having the ability to swap the circle pad position with the face buttons for games that required camera control, like an FPS.

Anyway, swappable buttons/sticks is a long overdue controller feature.
That would make zero sense. Nintendo is sitting on too much inventory for a revision to be feasible.
It totally makes sense, you might argue it won't happen because of stock realities that's different.

Yet, you don't supply data to back up that anyway. We don't know if Nintendo stopped manufacturing some months ago and could be couting with a big game removing the remaining stock. That's leaving out that the console could remain the same and only the gamepad is been redesigned.

In the end, i said the 3DS redesign is the more plausible so i don't know what are we arguing here.

M3d10n

The 3DS is in dire need for a revision. The specs are so humble they should be able to make a more streamlined version (XL curves on the smaller model) with a longer battery life. They could also bump the RAM on the OS side and offer a better multitasking experience (faster Miiverse, faster eShop that can be used without quitting games, HTML5 video support on the browser/Miiverse, etc).

Koozek

Maybe the new handheld can also be used as a Wii U Gamepad :p That way they could sell a Gamepad-less Wii U for anybody who already has the 4DS.
Didn't Iwata say they wanted the next handheld to be similiar architecture-wise to the Wii U?
Iwata said:

I mean, just think about it for a sec: the Wii U Gamepad costs between 100-200 separately. Why not buy the "4DS" for around the same price range (ideally) if you can stream Wii U games on it. When you already have the "4DS", but no Wii U, you might be tempted to also buy the Wii U if it's 100-150$ without the Gamepad. Though, at that point, why not have the same games work on both platforms. Then you wouldn't need a Wii U, however, and they would only have one stream of revenue.
But, well, I dunno. Does this sound stupid? :D

Boss Mog

If it's true I would love for it to be a new handheld, a powerful single screen one, the revival of the Gameboy brand.

I would also rejoice at a new home console, one that could compete with Sony and MS hardware wise and be backwards compatible with Wii U software. Would be awesome.

Of course none of these things will happen. I think that nintendo will indeed have new hardware at E3 but it will be crappy fitness hardware. Nintendo has been talking about going after the interactive fitness segment.

zychi

Banned
Rösti;110292328 said:
Just for fun of course. Nothing serious, though if anyone would do something like this it would probably be Nintendo.

Fake!

Ninty doesn't know what 1080p is.

/s

Tortimer

The 3DS is 3 years old, and I don't think it'll last as long as the DS did (~6 years). I don't think we'll get a 4DS announcement this year, but next year. We can already see their high-profile productions ramping down (compare releases of 2013 to 2014 on the 3DS, it's night and day)

I just want a 3DS phone running Android please & thanks. I really don't know why that is so hard.

I just want a 3DS phone running Android please & thanks. I really don't know why that is so hard.
Maybe not for the 3DS but for the handheld succesor it might/has to happen.

Going forward Nintendo needs an smartphone ready portable platform on top of the dedicated one. Since Nintendo is not ready to make their own cellphone a partnership with a big manufacturer is the way to go.

Nintendo would handle all aspects of the interface/input method of course.

Riki

Maybe not for the 3DS but for the handheld succesor it might/has to happen.

Going forward Nintendo needs an smartphone ready portable platform on top of the dedicated one. Since Nintendo is not ready to make their own cellphone a partnership with a big manufacturer is the way to go.

Why would Nintendo use Android? What benefit would it afford them?
It wouldn't make development for them any easier and it would allow for far too many security risks. On top of it not being designed specifically for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom