• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods of Egypt (2016) Dir: Alex Proyas - Hollywood tackles Ancient Egyptian mythos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Even in Egypt, a white looking Egyptian would not refer to himself as a white person. Americans need to stop thinking their ideas on race is universally accepted. This not directed at you, just a general observation that also includes those who also want to apply such thinking on ancient civilizations as well. Black, white, the hell does that even mean in a historical context?

While I don't know how important it is in the 21st century, the black/white racial dichotomy was a pretty important part of historical Middle Eastern life. Many medieval Arab scholars trusted paler Europeans, Turks, and Persians than they did Africans, all because of skin color. The Ottoman Empire divided slaves and eunuchs by race, and it's been proposed that the othering of Black people actually came out of the Islamic world.

In the fourteenth century, racism was so alive in the Middle East that Mansa Musa had to quite literally throw gold like breadcrumbs to prove to white people (in this case, non-Africans) that he wasn't just some poor tribesman.

Even today, Black North Africans are discriminated against by light-skinned people. Despite DNA evidence to the controversy, Egyptologist Zahi Hawass insists that every single Egyptian was a white person.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Knew what I was going to get when I read the thread title.

Someone get Tom Hanks on the line for my MLK biopic jesus fuckin christ.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There are egytian people that are white, you guys do know this? I remember an interview with a famous egyptian man that was extremly hot and white looking

anyone know his name? Famous in Egypt apparently

surprised me when I saw him, even tho I had no idea what he was saying

While this is true (one of my friends in high school was two generations removed from Egypt and completely "white"), is it historically true? Do we know what ancient egyptians looked like? Honest question, I'm looking to be educated

justjohn

As has been stated here, Hollywood is a business first. It's not a charity to make non whites feel good. If non whites want to see a movie about ancient Egypt starring non whites then perhaps they should write and finance their own movie about ancient Egypt starring people who actually do look like they were from ancient Egypt. I'm not white and I understand this is mostly about money first and foremost and not a history lesson.

Toa TAK

Banned
While this is true (one of my friends in high school was two generations removed from Egypt and completely "white"), is it historically true? Do we know what ancient egyptians looked like? Honest question, I'm looking to be educated

From what I've learned (and hopefully I'll be corrected if wrong), but they were black, Mediterranean, and something of modern day arabians.

They were a funky mix. It totally shows in their art history as well.
As has been stated here, Hollywood is a business first. It's not a charity to make non whites feel good. If non whites want to see a movie about ancient Egypt starring non whites then perhaps they should write and finance their own movie about ancient Egypt starring people who actually do look like they were from ancient Egypt. I'm not white and I understand this is mostly about money first and foremost and not a history lesson.
lol That's not what this is about.

Valhelm

contribute something

Ancient Egyptians probably looked like modern Egyptians. Some were Black, some where white, a lot were brownish.

The problem is that there are a lot less people of color with the money to finance such a movie, and a lot less people of color to watch the movie. White audiences, by and large, are not interested in a movie about non-white people. Until that changes, Hollywood will stay very white.

I want to be educated as well ;)

As I know there are white/european looking people in Egypt, even tho they are a minority. I guess its from the Alexander the Great/cleopatra era?

justjohn

From what I've learned (and hopefully I'll be corrected if wrong), but they were black, Mediterranean, and something of modern day arabians.

They were a funky mix. It totally shows in their art history as well.

lol That's not what this is about.

What is it about then? Care to explain?
I would love to see a movie about ancient Egypt starring non whites like me, but in am looking at it from a business perspective which is what it all boils to. These people are investing millions of their own money and they want to see a return which means they will go for the safe route

mantidor

While I don't know how important it is in the 21st century, the black/white racial dichotomy was a pretty important part of historical Middle Eastern life. Many medieval Arab scholars trusted paler Europeans, Turks, and Persians than they did Africans, all because of skin color. The Ottoman Empire divided slaves and eunuchs by race, and it's been proposed that the othering of Black people actually came out of the Islamic world.

In the fourteenth century, racism was so alive in the Middle East that Mansa Musa had to quite literally throw gold like breadcrumbs to prove to white people (in this case, non-Africans) that he wasn't just some poor tribesman.

Even today, Black North Africans are discriminated against by light-skinned people. Despite DNA evidence to the controversy, Egyptologist Zahi Hawass insists that every single Egyptian was a white person.

Historical accuracy? in my Hollywood movies? It's either an all black-cast or an all white-cast, any attempt to portray real Egyptians must be met with contempt.

Just look at the picture in the OP.

It's obvious they were racially diverse, their expansion as an empire cover lots of different regions. I don't think is inaccurate to say ancient Egypt was the United States of their time.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

In all fairness, Mansa Musa was basically the realest baller of his time.

justjohn

Ancient Egyptians probably looked like modern Egyptians. Some were Black, some where white, a lot were brownish.

The problem is that there are a lot less people of color with the money to finance such a movie, and a lot less people of color to watch the movie. White audiences, by and large, are not interested in a movie about non-white people. Until that changes, Hollywood will stay very white.
So how is that hollywood's problem?

Even in Egypt, a white looking Egyptian would not refer to himself as a white person. Americans need to stop thinking their ideas on race is universally accepted. This not directed at you, just a general observation that also includes those who also want to apply such thinking on ancient civilizations as well. Black, white, the hell does that even mean in a historical context?

I'm not american

I just said there are people in Egypt that look like white europeans

//from an outsider, from europe

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If half of all Americans can be comfortable with a black president and a black karate kid I'm sure they'll be fine with black actors playing Africans in a movie about African gods.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Arab racism towards Africans is something of a perplexing situation. If you look across the over 200 million people who consider themselves Arabs, you will find a diversity in phenotype expression. Arabs in Yemen look completely different than Arabs in the Levant, who look different than those in North Africa. Hell even with in the same family you can have these same differences expressed.

Yet, a dark skinned person who society considers Arab due to patrilineal Arabic descent, is treated a lot different than an Africa would be treated. North Sudan is a good example of this. On top of that, the racism shown towards non-arabs is further confusing when you take into account Islam' stance on the issue. It's a crazy situation all around.

Toa TAK

Banned
So how is that hollywood's problem?

They'll lose money.

Once our/my/generation behind me realizes this isn't what they want to see, it will change.

What do you think the threads on a LGBT/Colored superheroes are all about? Or the reception of the cast of Ridley Scott's Exodus film?

It may not be now, but as Amurica gets a lot more brown, it's going to change.
If half of all Americans can be comfortable with a black president and a black karate kid I'm sure they'll be fine with black actors playing Africans in a movie about African gods.

This post is funny because it's very, very true.

Valhelm

contribute something
The Table of Nations is a cool work of art, showing a Berber, a Nubian, a Phonecian, and an Egyptian.

220px-Egyptian_races.jpg

The Egyptians seemed to view themselves as a kind of intermediate between dark-skinned SSA people and lighter-skinned groups.

Yet, a dark skinned person who society considers Arab due to patrilineal Arabic descent, is treated a lot different than an Africa would be treated. North Sudan is a good example of this. On top of that, the racism shown towards non-arabs is further confusing when you take into account Islam' stance on the issue. It's a crazy situation all around.

How does religion come into play? I'm not familiar with that.

Toa TAK

Banned
Been dying for an Egyptian myth movie or game but c'mon lol

Anyone know what happened to that will smith movie? Pharaoh I think it was called.
I will not rest until I get my biopic of the Ahkenaten family with an incredibly beautiful actress cast as Nefertiti.

Such an interesting story.

mantidor

I will not rest until I get my biopic of the Ahkenaten family with an incredibly beautiful actress cast as Nefertiti.

Such an interesting story.

Who was the woman in Michael Jackson's video who played Nefertiti? I don't think anyone will be able to top that.

Blader

Just wanted to point out again that Ra, Horus, et al. are not real.

Complaints about Hollywood whitewashing are justified pretty much all of the time, but it's not like there's any historical accuracy to adhere to here.

Kimaka

I saw Nikolaj and burst out laughing. Come on now. They could at least get more brown people but I bet they will all be stuck being extras.

Who was the woman in Michael Jackson's video who played Nefertiti? I don't think anyone will be able to top that.

That was Iman.

Espada

Whoa, I've always been interested in Egyptian mythology (and I wish it got as much attention as Greek mythology does in movies and video games). The casting is standard Hollywood, but I'm hoping this will be good enough to get other people making movies about the Egyptian pantheon.

Fake Edit:
Thoth (Djeheuty)
Is this where Jehuty from ZoE2 gets its name?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It depends entirely on what era one speaks of. The Faiyam farmers (5000-4000 BC), Merimdans (4800-4300) Badarians (4400-4000), Maadi-Buto (4400-3300) and the Naqadans (4000-3000) that predate the dynasties were certainly different in appearance to those living in later Dynastic eras, especially after invasions of the Hyskos to name just one example.

Toa TAK

Banned
Incest and heresy.

Incest is boring and normal, heresy is saying "Fuck that shit, aten is where it's at homies." and then having literally EVERYONE hate you for it. Turning the establishment on it's head while BEING the establishment.
Refereeeeeeence for those who are lurking.

As for the actress I have no clue, but I liked her.
What makes that family interesting to you?

Come on, there's got to be some great human drama right there. Imagine being the numero uno wife of a Pharoah who is business as usual for six years then (probably goes nuts) wipes out the national religion and centers it on one god through himself. Imagine the restlessness among the political theater and the renaming of himself and his children.

Art is changed, worship is changed, and even your capital is changed.

Then after he dies out, his son Tutankhaten=Tutankhamen becomes Pharaoh only for the regent to take over since he's too young. Has a bad "accident" (probably not, but can be changed for DRAMA) and then ends the family line. And he dies after everything has been restored to normalcy, including wiping out his father's name from the histories.

Pretty awesome stuff, and I didn't even touch on the whole "staring into the sun for hours" thing Ahkenaten was up to.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The Table of Nations is a cool work of art, showing a Berber, a Nubian, a Phonecian, and an Egyptian.

220px-Egyptian_races.jpg

The Egyptians seemed to view themselves as a kind of intermediate between dark-skinned SSA people and lighter-skinned groups.

How does religion come into play? I'm not familiar with that.

Islam vehemently opposes discrimination based on skin colour. There's something of a popular saying in Islam where it's says something like, "there is no difference between an Arab and a non-arabs in front of God except in faith." I can't remember if it came from the Qu'ran or was a saying of the Prophet Muhammad, and I'm also paraphrasing it to hell. But essentially, racial discrimination of any kind is against the Islamic faith, and it is something that is pointed out clearly.

Come on, there's got to be some great human drama right there. Imagine being the numero uno wife of a Pharoah who is business as usual for six years then (probably goes nuts) wipes out the national religion and centers it on one god through himself. Imagine the restlessness among the political theater and the renaming of himself and his children.

Art is changed, worship is changed, and even your capital is changed.

Then after he dies out, his son Tutankhaten=Tutankhamen becomes Pharaoh only for the regent to take over since he's too young. Has a bad "accident" (probably not, but can be changed for DRAMA) and then ends the family line. And he dies after everything has been restored to normalcy, including wiping out his father's name from the histories.

Pretty awesome stuff, and I didn't even touch on the whole "staring into the sun for hours" thing Ahkenaten was up to.
Oh I was asking cause I'm not familiar with much of Egyptian history, wasn't really covered that much in school. I'll be reading up on the two now.

justjohn

Islam vehemently opposes discrimination based on skin colour. There's something of a popular saying in Islam where it's says something like, "there is no difference between an Arab and a non-arabs in front of God except in faith." I can't remember if it came from the Qu'ran or was a saying of the Prophet Muhammad, and I'm also paraphrasing it to hell. But essentially, racial discrimination of any kind is against the Islamic faith, and it is something that is pointed out clearly.
Looks like the Muslims/Arabs in the Middle East forgot about this rule. I'm sure Christianity also opposes racial discrimination but we all know how that goes.

J10

Banned

Right. That's what we want. Charity. Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom