• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gods of Egypt director has meltdown on Facebook, critics are "deranged idiots"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExVicis

Having now seen the movie I can rightfully say the bad reviews are deserved and can more easily disagree with the director. Whitewashing has nothing to do with my opinion, Gods of Egypt was just a bad movie. The effects were...there I guess. the set pieces and costumes were fine, but the writing...was really really bad. Like almost comically so. It felt like the outline of an 8th grade writing assignment in terms of quality. It almost felt like the plot was an excuse for just things to happen.

There was no sense of any of the characters, no real motivations beyond a few things they barely tried to establish at the beginning. Gerard Butler's character is an evil guy who betrays his family for power and revenge but we never get a sense of why. Just that he's upset about...something. We get vague hints of characterization for him but they have nothing substantial so it just ends up falling flat. The protagonists aren't any better. Our human character whose name I didn't know until maybe 30 minutes into the movie had no personality other than he steals things and is in love with a girl. Meanwhile Jamie Lannister or Horus or whatever has pretty much less than that. We get hints that he's supposedly a partying ladies man but you never really get a feel for that except in the beginning. After that he's mostly just an asshole.

The rest of the characters weren't really much better and were just props or tools to have things happen. Characters are introduced literally to be used and killed off in the next scene or to solve a problem maybe 10 minutes later just because. One character who was a prisoner for almost the whole movie up a point uses an item she had the whole time to magically teleport away and help the "heroes". Why didn't she teleport away and help them sooner we never find out. Almost every character was equally this dumb. The only character that was enjoyable at all in the movie was Geoffrey Rush's character, who had the only line in the movie I kind of laughed at.

Basically, the movie felt poorly written and almost all of the characters were forgettable with no redeeming qualities to them being usually bland or just outright an unlikable asshole. More than half of the actions scenes were pointless and served no purpose to the overall story and there was no real sense of direction to the narrative. The entire movie felt like an excuse to make CGI actions scenes and lovely set pieces. The only problem with that is despite whatever they spent to make the special effects, set pieces and costumes, they did so at the cost of good writing which made that all completely hollow.

So I have to agree with he critics, this movie fucking sucks.

Flavius

Oh my god, spoiler tags man!!!

Heh, just kidding...I have no intention of seeing it, but appreciate you taking one for the team to ream it intelligently.

Having now seen the movie I can rightfully say the bad reviews are deserved and can more easily disagree with the director. Whitewashing has nothing to do with anyone's opinion, Gods of Egypt was just a bad movie. The effects were...there I guess. the set pieces and costumes were fine, but the writing...was really really bad. Like almost comically so. It felt like the outline of an 8th grade writing assignment in terms of quality. It almost felt like the plot was an excuse for just things to happen.

There was no sense of any of the characters, no real motivations beyond a few things they barely tried to establish at the beginning. Gerard Butler's character is an evil guy who betrays his family for power and revenge but we never get a sense of why. Just that he's upset about...something. We get vague hints of characterization for him but they have nothing substantial so it just ends up falling flat. The protagonists aren't any better. Our human character whose name I didn't know until maybe 30 minutes into the movie had no personality other than he steals things and is in love with a girl. Meanwhile Jamie Lannister or Horus or whatever has pretty much less than that. We get hints that he's supposedly a partying ladies man but you never really get a feel for that except in the beginning. After that he's mostly just an asshole.

The rest of the characters weren't really much better and were just props or tools to have things happen. Characters are introduced literally to be used and killed off in the next scene or to solve a problem maybe 10 minutes later just because. One character who was a prisoner for almost the whole movie up a point uses an item she had the whole time to magically teleport away and help the "heroes". Why didn't she teleport away and help them sooner we never find out. Almost every character was equally this dumb. The only character that was enjoyable at all in the movie was Geoffrey Rush's character, who had the only line in the movie I kind of laughed at.

Basically, the movie felt poorly written and almost all of the characters were forgettable with no redeeming qualities to them being usually bald or just outright an unlikable asshole. More than half of the actions scenes were pointless and served no purpose to the overall story and there was no real sense of direction to the narrative. The entire movie felt like an excuse to make CGI actions scenes and lovely set pieces. The only problem with that is despite whatever they spent to make the special effects, set pieces and costumes, they did so at the cost of good writing which made that all completely hollow.

So I have to agree with he critics, this movie fucking sucks.
thanks for taking the L so we don't have to.

Nairume

Banned
Gerard Butler fucking sucks though. Someone here pointed out his Rottentomatoes page a while back, it really is an eye-opener.
It's not even just that he sucks that's the worst part, but films with him as the leading role regularly devolve into the worst cases of him playing perfect super warrior-spy-tactician-god kings that are always right and would prosper were it not for the flawed actions of the lesser people around him.

Flavius

If Butler got one decent role, you'd all change your tune so fast and be gushing over him like a bunch of little schoolgirls.

ExVicis

thanks for taking the L so we don't have to.
I watch a lot of bad movies on purpose for entertainment but this movie was just dumb and hollow. It's not worth anyone's time. Maybe watch it for free if it's on something like Netflix if you're still curious, that way when you're tired of the movie you can turn it off instead of sitting through it to get all your money's worth.

Oh my god, spoiler tags man!!!

Aw man I tried to be as spoiler-free as I could (although I think Duckroll gave away more than I did).

I know most people won't give a damn but if someone wants I'll spoiler tag it.

I don't care about any of his movies, including this one. I'm more interested in people who refer to Facebook as "Facebook.com". I think this is the first time I've ever seen anyone refer to it as such, and it looks so strange to me. It'd be like saying 'I was able to find x on Google.com'. Is this something common, or is it as unnatural as it feels to me?
I also feel as if the forces of nature have been disturbed

Well now that I think about it if I got baited into directing the highest profile tax write-off of the decade I may have a FB meltdown too.

Gods of Egypt is what happens when some unscrupulous individual starts mixing Exodus: Gods and Kings with Transformers: Age of Extinction.

I haven't even seen the movie and it looks trash by the trailer.

-looks like all the scenes from the trailer take place on the same open palace looking area/room

-way too many segments where the camera slowly zooms in on someone slowly looking up with a serious face

-way too much obvious cgi to the point that I wonder why they didn't just animate the whole thing

-everyone's white

-feels so completely detached and far away from any sort of actual historical basis that I'd sooner tell someone to study Greek history by playing God of War than watch this to learn about Egypt

Why would I want to go see something like that? If I was forced to, per my job as a film reviewer, you bet your ass I'd be completely blunt.

Whatever you may think about the movie, it looks terrible to me, this is probably true:

"Lock a critic in a room with a movie no one has even seen and they will not know what to make of it. Because contrary to what a critic should probably be they have no personal taste or opinion, because they are basing their views on the status quo. None of them are brave enough to say 'well I like it' if it goes against consensus."

I once saw a critic being interviewed after the premier of a movie that was pretty terrible and he started saying how it wasn't very good and all that. Then the reporter trolled him by telling him that another reviewer that was more respected and worked closely with him had said the movie was amazing (he hadn't). The flips and turns the guy did to say the movie was great were too hilarious.

I'm sure some critics can think for themselves, but there are far too many that can't.

Personally I'm kinda happy the cast is all white. If this movie would have come out exactly the same way but with a proper diverse cast some studio heads would be decrying its failure as a result of it being too ethnically diverse.

I haven't seen this film but my guess is that its failings extend far beyond its poor casting.

edit: Didn't know that people hates Gerard Butler though. He stars in a lot of shit films, but I never put that on him personally. And he was solid in RocknRolla

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Huh? I'm 5 years older than you and " politically correct" was always kind of a joke, denoting that you've gone too far in your efforts to not offend. Like "vertically challenged" for short people, and stuff like that. The "politically" in the phrase is denoting that - otherwise it would just be the "correct" term, which would be polite.

Well I was talking about the frequency in which it's used. You'd have to do something very terrible and over the line before "politically correct" was used.

Now people use it if you are defending a woman in an abuse case.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't see what's wrong with this. While I get the white wash accusations. This movie is not made for educational puoposes nor is it what is asked of Hollywood.
I don't get how the color of the actors skin is erasing all enjoyment one could have for a action/fantasy movie with a Egyptian skin applied to it.

while I think it's good to have the discussion about Hollywoods whitewashing, I don't think it should be leading to dragging down a movie just because of it.

I'm not going to waste my time on this movie, because the trailer made it out to be a shallow action piece, but not because of historical incorrectness.

I'm assuming that picture in your avi is you. So I'll just saying that (with all due respect) maybe you are enjoying a little white privilege if that's how you feel.

It physically makes me feel bad when I have to look at the movie screen and see white people portray non-white characters. I always ask, "why is it so bad just to let other races get some shine on the big screen?"

The internet went nuts when rumor was that Idris Elba could be playing James Bond in the next movie. James Bond is a fictional character and people still went nuts. #oscarssowhite is real and so is the lack of diversity in Hollywood.

If Butler got one decent role, you'd all change your tune so fast and be gushing over him like a bunch of little schoolgirls.
It's certainly possible. Channing Tatum has been brilliant. But that depends on his agent and his choices. So far he hasn't touched any actor heavy projects but just action/romcom vehicles.

Sulik2

As one of the tiny amount of people who saw Gods of Egypt. Its bad and not bad funny most of the time. Just dumb in every way possible.
Butler was the the highligh. Heseemed to get this movie and hammed it up perfectly. He was hilarious.

Went in with the mindset of a stupid action movie that would make no sense, came out and enjoyed it for the stupidity, Pretty sure the director just told them to play Leonidas, Jaime Lannister and Capt. Barbossa and ran with it.

Good to see what a B movie can do with 140 mil budget. Worth a netflix or redbox rental in a few months.

I enjoyed the film for what it was while understanding the backlash; just a crazy over the top film, there was nothing really historical about it let alone Egypt, it's a pure fantasy film and runs with the crazy; I mean the world isn't even round and Ra is in hovering spaceboat keeping a giant monster from consuming the known world/creation at bay; there are some really nice visual designs. If anything it seems using Egypt was pointless.

sarcastor

There should be a combined community thread for gaffers who like Gerard Butler and gaffers who like licking buttholes

Nah, man. He was in Reign of Fire. Reign of Fire.

He was great in Olympus Has Fallen and 300. And terrible in everything else. Especially that horrible movie with Jennifer Aniston which I watched just for the cleavage.

However next week its time for a Gerard Butler marathon. Gods of Egypt + London Has Fallen. In theaters. Who's with me? May God have mercy on our souls.

Flavius

He was great in Olympus Has Fallen and 300. And terrible in everything else. Especially that horrible movie with Jennifer Aniston which I watched just for the cleavage.

However next week its time for a Gerard Butler marathon. Gods of Egypt + London Has Fallen. In theaters. Who's with me? May God have mercy on our souls.

You're a much kinder man than I am. He just comes off as so utterly serviceable to me, I guess, that it's difficult for me to imagine someone not being able to turn him into a star.

Yes, yes, I know...and lookit all who have tried before!

What if Bryan Singer made him Banshee in the next X-flick? He's Scottish, right? Give him a crazy, red, feathered-back hairdo and just have him bitching about the x-kids and drinking all the time. Then the world would be prepping for a proper Butler-ing.

Mmm hmm.

As was Christian Bale, loved that film growing up.

The effects hold up well too even for today's standards.

Yeah I gotta admit, it has its moments.

I just like how committed they are to the lore of "realistic" dragons. Theyve got organic flamethrowers, and reasons why they set everything on fire (they eat ash).

The ooh rah America stuff I could do without. I still remember that skydiving triangulation scene being dumb.

Gods of Egypt feels like the blockbuster equivalent of The Room.

I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with it, I know it's something of a cult classic at this point but just to bring anyone who hasn't seen it up to speed: The Room is a miraculously terrible wreck of a movie but the guy who wrote/directed/starred in it, Tommy Wiseau, really truly believed in his heart that he was making a good movie. He set out to make a very human drama and he put so much effort into it and the result is just so bad, but there's something about it that makes it hugely enjoyable to watch.

Maybe 3/4 of the way into Gods of Egypt I realized that that was exactly what happened with this movie. There is SO MUCH in this movie that isn't even hinted at in the trailers, and as I was watching it and trying to keep track of all the characters and plot lines, I was like "Jesus a lot of effort was put into this pile of shit" and that's when it hit me. I was actually really enjoying myself. Don't get me wrong, the movie is really bad. But there is a level of attention and care here that felt like the guy who made this movie really really thought he was making a fucking awesome summer blockbuster that would kickstart a franchise. Couple that with his reactions to critics and his Facebook rant and I can tell he's very protective of this movie. In his mind, he made this amazing tentpole film that is getting destroyed by critics "simply" because of the race of the cast.

I found myself enjoying it for the same reason I enjoy The Room. It is a wreck. It is an amazing, gigantic, confusing, expensive looking wreck. But something shone through that to me, some kind of genuine honesty, the idea that someone can put so much effort into something and have it be so spectacularly bad, endeared the movie to me just like it did with The Room. And it was such a strong feeling that even before it was over, I had decided that I not only wanted to watch it again, but that I wanted to buy it when it comes out on DVD so I can listen to the commentary track.

Both of my friends hated it, but after I told them my idea one of them was actually like "Wow. That.. actually made me like the movie more now."

The thing is a rollercoaster. I expected Egypt, obviously, from the trailers. I should have expected but for some reason didn't, the Underworld. But then they go into space and I was just like "What the fuck is this movie." and things get so fucking crazy from there, I'm just imagining this guy pitching this movie like "Ok so, Egypt, right? But the Gods live among the mortals. They look like humans but they're about three times as big. And when they fight? They turn into giant robot-looking versions of their animal god counterparts. And so the bad guy, stay with me, the bad guy is going around and he's killing all the other gods and he's taking their powers and using them on himself to build like an Uber God of Egypt. And he's gonna go into space so he can take the magic trident from his father, the sun god, he takes that from him so that this huge billowing cloud of teeth that represents the night, he's gonna set that loose on the world, it's gonna eat the Nile since that's the river of life right? He's gonna eat that and destroy the world so that he can start anew as the supreme ruler of everything. But this other God, his nephew, he got his ass kicked by him earlier right? He was supposed to be king but this first guy, he comes back and kicks his ass and takes his eyes and becomes king instead. Well this thief comes, did I mention the thief? He's the main character, he's like what's that word, he's like the vessel for the audience you know? He's mortal so they can connect with him and he has a love story, he's the human aspect amidst all the intense action. So this thief comes and and pulls the blind god, he's the god of the air so he needs his eyes to be of any use, the thief comes and pulls him out of retirement and they go on this big adventure through Egypt and the Underworld and fucking outer space to try and stop him. And since it's Egypt we're gonna be able to have all these huge fights and set pieces with these giant Egyptian gods and monsters just going to town on each other, it's going to be fucking rad trust me."

I would LOVE to have been able to sit in on the pitch for this movie. This isn't just some generic blockbuster shit like Transformers (which I liked for the spectacle and GCI but let's face it nobody working on those movies gives a fuck about Transformers, or at least it feels that way) there is actual like.. gosh, love? put into this. I'm actually sad that it won't become the franchise that they so obviously wanted it to become (yes the ending does very clearly set up for a sequel) because it would be amazing to see the director's ego inflate even more from the success of such a mess of a movie, I can't even fathom what a sequel would have been like.

Anybody else see it? It's not terrible.
The "whitewash" complaints shouldn't matter because there's nothing historical about this movie. It's pure fantasy with flying gods and weird monsters with an egyptian theme, but it might as well take place on an alien planet.

Man instead of going on a tirade, the director should have probably driven this point home. Also changed the fucking title. Pretty tone deaf of the people in charge of this movie to give it the title it had given the current atmosphere and the cast they had.

duckroll

I would LOVE to have been able to sit in on the pitch for this movie. This isn't just some generic blockbuster shit like Transformers (which I liked for the spectacle and GCI but let's face it nobody working on those movies gives a fuck about Transformers, or at least it feels that way) there is actual like.. gosh, love? put into this. I'm actually sad that it won't become the franchise that they so obviously wanted it to become (yes the ending does very clearly set up for a sequel) because it would be amazing to see the director's ego inflate even more from the success of such a mess of a movie, I can't even fathom what a sequel would have been like.

Well, the same can be said of Jupiter Ascending last year. It was clearly something the Wachowskis were very passionate about and a lot of thought went into the world and details and backstory, but it was still a turd of a movie. While I can certainly enjoy something poorly made if there's a ton of passion in it, I find that I can only do that for new talents because someone less experienced trying to strike out with ambition and missing wildly can be pretty interesting. Here, I know the filmmaker is capable of so much better, just like in Jupiter Ascending! All that leaves is disappointment that they've fallen short of their own abilities.

^^^^^
I love your assessment. It's like some crazy, yet oddly thoughtful mess, fully realized onscreen that I couldn't but help enjoy it.

Exactly!! You know what it is, it's that Gods of Egypt feels like a passion project.

Which, I mean, isn't unheard of. There are lots of movies made that are like "Hey I have this idea let's make a movie" instead of a suit going "Find a writer for blockbuster adaptation #4593" but they're usually very small films. To see a passion project of this magnitude with this kind of budget, and then to see it fail so spectacularly, it's amazing. A $140 million dollar passion project that fell flat on its face before it even came out.

I think that's also what people like about Deadpool so much. I love the MCU and I'm gonna keep going to see those movies but they're very, uh.. it's like they come out of a machine. They're all cogs in a much larger thing, each movie has to hit these notes, these story points, adapt these comics, etc. Deadpool had so much love and care put into it and it was such a nice change of pace. That's how Gods of Egypt is, except the end product is actually fuckin terrible. But it's that care that makes it enjoyable for me. It has imagination! Hah goddamn it certainly has imagination.

Well, the same can be said of Jupiter Ascending last year. It was clearly something the Wachowskis were very passionate about and a lot of thought went into the world and details and backstory, but it was still a turd of a movie. While I can certainly enjoy something poorly made if there's a ton of passion in it, I find that I can only do that for new talents because someone less experienced trying to strike out with ambition and missing wildly can be pretty interesting. Here, I know the filmmaker is capable of so much better, just like in Jupiter Ascending! All that leaves is disappointment that they've fallen short of their own abilities.

I still haven't seen Jupiter Ascending but hearing that it's the same kind of enchanting mess has me very interested.

I personally don't have any kind of history with this director. I know that he's someone who has made movies people really liked in the past, but that's pretty much all I knew going in to GoE. That and the nearly unanimous opinion that GoE is far below what he's capable of, as you say. So I don't know if it's just because I'm not as familiar with him as you or others might be, or if it's just that I don't actually see many of these kinds of movies (where someone really thought they were making something great but it turned out to be awful - Troll 2 is another example) so it was a nice change of pace and certainly not at all what I was expecting going in. My expectations were honestly this: "It's gonna be bad, but hopefully the CGI is at least cool to look at. Hopefully it'll be the kind of bad that's so bad it's good." But it's not even so bad it's good, it's just bad. But the level of effort put into it, for me, saved it.

It's also why a lot of movies that try to be "so bad it's good" fail for me, because they aren't genuine. Troll 2, The Room, Gods of Egypt work for me because the people making them genuinely believed they were making something good, not just pumping out another big budget adaptation or some shlocky low budget trying to be bad movie.

I don't really know what people were expecting out of this movie, and I find all this hate very confusing. It's basically transformers but with egyptians reimagined as aliens...or something.

Even from the trailer, i thought this was going to be an awesome movie. Crazy over the top ridiculous monsters in an egyptian setting. Like what more do you want?

I don't really know what people were expecting out of this movie, and I find all this hate very confusing. It's basically transformers but with egyptians reimagined as aliens...or something.

Even from the trailer, i thought this was going to be an awesome movie. Crazy over the top ridiculous monsters in an egyptian setting. Like what more do you want?

So far 100% of Trump supporters are actively ready to defend this movie. Damn I wish we had more Republicans here to get a better sample size.

Something that stood out to me, when they go into space, they're in a ship that's floating over earth. Then some shit starts going down, and Ra the sun god makes a big deal about like "oh shit hang on if you want to live" and it cuts to a wide shot of earth and it's flat. There's no set up, it's never mentioned before, it's never mentioned at all. Earth is just a flat disc, and everyone has to hang on because when the "sun sets" it's actually Ra "falling off" the edge of one side of the Earth and flipping around to the other.

Like, that alone told me there was something more to this movie. That isn't just some shit they threw in there, that required a lot of thought and planning, someone had that idea and they put a lot of work into pulling it off, but it's never actually pointed out in any way. Of course the Earth is flat. This is Ancient Egypt and Gods live among mortals. They didn't know the Earth was a sphere, and in this movie's world, it wasn't. It was a fuckin' flat disc. And Egypt is the only continent on that disc because fuck everything else, Egypt is the center of the world and nothing else matters.

duckroll

I think it certainly makes sense if it works for you because you're unfamiliar with the director. That's cool. For me, I've been waiting for him to do something really special again for a long time now. :(

If you liked stuff like the flat Earth scene, you should definitely check out Dark City. :)

ExVicis

My expectations were honestly this: "It's gonna be bad, but hopefully the CGI is at least cool to look at. Hopefully it'll be the kind of bad that's so bad it's good." But it's not even so bad it's good, it's just bad. But the level of effort put into it, for me, saved it.
I think this is where you and I differed. I didn't feel like they put ANY effort into this movie. Everything except maybe two parts had bare minimum. The CGI was serviceable at parts but bad every time someone transformed into something or god mod or whatever. Writing was below passable with things just happening for no discernible reason. Characterization was non-existent. Acting was barely above being non-existent. You said there were plot lines but I'm struggling to remember a single actual plot line. It just felt lazy and sleazy. I saw none of the charms.

If that worked for you then I'm glad. Me on the other hand, I watch a lot of bad movies (and I mean horrible. Movies the Room can't even touch.) and I couldn't even enjoy this in a bad movie kind of way.

To be fair, most paintings of Jesus show him as a white dude while the general consensus is he must have been darker skinned.

Paintings of Jesus that show him as white were done by white Europeans hundreds of years later. Ethiopian Christians of a similar period depicted Jesus as dark-skinned.

Paintings of Egyptian gods were done in ancient Egypt, contemporaneous to the worship of those gods.

There is no comparison there.

An Ancient Egypt focused movie which somehow out-whited Exodus: Gods and Kings, which had Jesse Pinkman for fuck's sake, was just bound to fail.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't cast a Scottish guy and a Danish guy as the two leads.

roff, all this.

It's almost like not using dated tropes and bizarre treatment of female characters is important right now and when modern culture isn't reflected in modern artistic work that it just comes off bad.
To me, I appreciated Claire's portayal and found it to be refreshing when everyone else is just cropping their hair, cutting off their sleeves, slapping on combat boots and "being one of the boys" in other action films with women in/near the lead role.

I'm pretty sure Bryce and Colin got together on the idea that a feminine person in the general sense shouldn't be viewed as weak compared to the above mentioned "strong female character" trope. She's told she can't get anything done "in those shoes" by a man, defies him... and gets shit done in those shoes. It's too bad the internet cried what a woman shouldn't be able to do when it came to that scene. Quite ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom