• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Last Guardian cancelled, mayhaps; Sony: Nope - Stage XI: Mole Hunt

Who should be banned from NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Hmm...

vhadk3C.jpg

IGN News: "Shuhei Yoshida twitter account may have been hacked"

As much as I loved ICO for its time and dug SotC, I can't care much about TLG when there was never much ever revealed about it to begin with. Don't want it cancelled yet it obviously has had problems with it being delayed for six or more years now. I'm guessing it will be officially reintroduced for PS4 at E3.

Amir0x

Banned
IGN News: "Shuhei Yoshida twitter account may have been hacked"

Druckmann mocking IGN over this; Scott Rohde saying it's not cancelled; Yoshida retweeting that message.

The only good thing to come out of IGN's fuck up is that they basically inadvertently got Sony to confirm it's coming once more. There is now virtually no doubt it's coming. No company would be this stupid if it wasn't.

Maybe Steve Butts is so desperate to see TLG released he's willing to sacrifice his journalistic integrity and force Sony to proceed with development of the game to prove him wrong.

Not the hero we wanted, but the one we need right now.

bigbosssalute.jpg

It doesn't excuse the error, it explains the relative sluggishness in being able to do in-depth follow-up.

Most of IGN's staff are not working over the weekend, some relevant people in the chain of command might not be reachable, whatever source purportedly told them this (this is the second russian outlet to incorrectly run this story this week) might not be reachable right now. They issued an interim correction to note the current state of affairs, which is that Sony denies the story--not through any formal denial or by reaching out to IGN, but through Twitter in an off-handed remark (which is fine, they don't need to reach out to IGN, but it drives home the level the process is operating at right now) but that they had a source in Russia that told them this. if you're expecting more substantial followup, it's not going to be overnight on a weekend, it'll be when they're able to run through the process again, reach out to the source again, etc.

Is it actually surprising to think that a business would have lower than usual staffing levels on the weekend and that this impacts agility when responding to ongoing events?

The Editor and Chief wrote the article. It's ridiculous to think he couldn't find the time on a weekend to properly edit the story especially when the site he works for is being thrown under the bus by other members of the games' media.

TS-08

It doesn't excuse the error, it explains the relative sluggishness in being able to do in-depth follow-up.

Most of IGN's staff are not working over the weekend, some relevant people in the chain of command might not be reachable, whatever source purportedly told them this (this is the second russian outlet to incorrectly run this story this week) might not be reachable right now. They issued an interim correction to note the current state of affairs, which is that Sony denies the story--not through any formal denial or by reaching out to IGN, but through Twitter in an off-handed remark (which is fine, they don't need to reach out to IGN, but it drives home the level the process is operating at right now) but that they had a source in Russia that told them this. if you're expecting more substantial followup, it's not going to be overnight on a weekend, it'll be when they're able to run through the process again, reach out to the source again, etc.

Is it actually surprising to think that a business would have lower than usual staffing levels on the weekend and that this impacts agility when responding to ongoing events?

The article writer is the editor in chief, and he wrote and subsequently edited the article on the weekend. I am sure he can do whatever he wants regarding the article at this point. The tweet was not an off-hand remark. It was an explicit denial. It's been retweeted by other official Sony accounts. I think it is fine to treat that as seriously as a press release. The person you responded to didn't really ask for an in-depth follow up. He suggested a retraction or apology. I think IGN should go ahead and state that the game is not cancelled and that the info they heard appears incorrect, rather than simply "waiting for more information."

StuBurns

Banned
Druckmann mocking IGN over this; Scott Rohde saying it's not cancelled; Yoshida retweeting that message.

The only good thing to come out of IGN's fuck up is that they basically inadvertently got Sony to confirm it's coming once more. There is now virtually no doubt it's coming. No company would be this stupid if it wasn't.
There was never any doubt.

As soon as Sony had to correct Tretton's 'on hiatus' statement, there was no way it was canceled. They'd already basically dropped the bomb, and they decided to actively put it back in place. There's no way they would have done that.

anderedna

The "May be cancelled" edit is pretty hilarious.

IGN: "Game is cancelled."

Sony: "Game is not cancelled."

IGN: "Sony says the game is not cancelled, so the game may be cancelled. We are working to find more info from other sources."

Haha. Other source other than Sony exec himself. IGN gonna be IGN.

SDCowboy

Mhm...I can't imagine the boys at Sony would be jumping all over this like flies on poop if this wasn't, hopefully, getting shown. Tomorrow.

Maybe IGN had a substantial reason to think it was cancelled. Maybe that reason was so substantial that Sony's twitter denial isn't even enough to negate the possibility that it is cancelled.

I'd like to give IGN some credit, as I frequent that site quite often. But damn do they look silly rn.

Yeah but then again TLG is such an easy target for click baiting sites like IGN. Kotaku did the same some time ago with their fake rumor of FFVersus being cancelled.
Except Kotaku was right. Their original story talked about Versus XIII being canceled or being reworked as the next numbered FF. Either way fact of the matter is Versus XIII will never see the light of day and isn't coming out to the platform it was originally announced for. That's a cancellation.

Kotaku wasn't wrong.

At this point, the game almost has to disappoint, right?
I don't think it can live up to whatever expectations there might be coming from the most invested fans. Then again, it never was very well sketched out for people to understand what it was that we were supposed to get in the first place. Aside from the video and a basic explanation of the relationship between the boy and the furry cat-thing, this was running off of the team's pedigree more than anything else.

BTM

If TLG is getting shown tomorrow, I would figure Sony people wouldn't respond to the article so that the reveal would be that more surprising.

jett

D-Member
It's very possible that there is no "game" to be had. Those old videos are very pretty scripted pieces, but thinking about them critically I'm not sure how they could actually make a meaningful game out of it.

That being said, I hope I'm proven wrong.

Agreed, I don't feel like we ever saw a proper game, rather conceptual ideas. We have pretty much zero information on the game outside of the meager trailers Ueda deemed us worthy of seeing. What is it even about? We don't fucking know. There's been rumors that TLG had technical problems (ran like shit) or that the super amazing ratbird AI was too complex and unwieldly (bullshit). Frankly, I believe Ueda, for once, had no idea what the fuck he was doing and started making this game without a properly outlined game design and development plan.

Honestly, I think that if that early trailer hadn't leaked we wouldn't have seen shit.

SDCowboy

Maybe IGN had a substantial reason to think it was cancelled. Maybe that reason was so substantial that Sony's twitter denial isn't even enough to negate the possibility that it is cancelled.

I'd like to give IGN some credit, as I frequent that site quite often. But damn do they look silly rn.

I frequent the site all the time, daily. It doesn't make the story any less embarrassing.

That FF Versus XIII cancellation debacle is what makes me think that TLG may have been cancelled for PS3 and reworked for PS4 and that leak was somewhere lost in translation as a full TLG CANCELLED crap.

We're 36 hours from Sony's E3 press conference. We will know by then.

SDCowboy

If TLG is getting shown tomorrow, I would figure Sony people wouldn't respond to the article so that the reveal would be that more surprising.

Not when the story takes off and gets out of control like this. News of TLG getting cancelled could have overshadowed and dampened the mood for the entire presser.

Stuart444

That FF Versus XIII cancellation debacle is what makes me think that TLG may have been cancelled for PS3 and reworked for PS4 and that leak was somewhere lost in translation as a full TLG CANCELLED crap.

Even if that was how it was meant, no one can deny that the use of the word official and the lack of the word "Rumor" is hugely unprofessional and just plain stupid on IGNs EICs part.

Coxy

No. They might maybe have had enough to say "Rumor: Last Guardian cancelled".
Posting "Last Guardian Officially cancelled" was completely fucking moronic and below even the lowest levels of due diligence I'd expect from a message board poster let alone them.

editing in "may" afterwards is the shit icing on the cake of incompetence that is IGN

Corto

I wake up and now it's uncancelled?

What a roller coaster. At this point, the game almost has to disappoint, right?

The game will be what it will be. Team Ico games though having a great critical reception were never crowd movers. They were always more of hallmark titles and studio that gave some cachet to Sony as a company that risked funding and let these sort of creative and original titles thrive on their platforms.

mid83

Is there a summary post anywhere? I've been at work all night and just saw this thread. I don't want to read a 95 page thread so I'm curious what the highlights are.

It looks like IGN ran this story and Sony denied it unoffically via Twitter messages. It seems like there is more there though (other sites mocking IGN etc.). Just curious what transpired overnight.

Maxim726X

So did they just use the story from those shady Russian journalists, with no real sources?

I refuse to believe there isn't more to this story.

sublimit

Banned
Except Kotaku was right. Their original story talked about Versus XIII being canceled or being reworked as the next numbered FF. Either way fact of the matter is Versus XIII will never see the light of day and isn't coming out to the platform it was originally announced for. That's a cancellation.

Kotaku wasn't wrong.

Sorry but this is ridiculous and you know it.

A cancellation is a cancellation.The game ceases development and the team moves on to other projects.Kotaku clearly said that the game was cancelled so they either flat out lied (in order to get more clicks) or they trusted an unproven source and just published the rumor.
So they were either being douchebags or just unprofessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom