• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

Chairhome

I love the game! Its hard though. I consider myself to be a pretty good platform player, but I've died a lot already, haha. I kind of wish the downstab was another button or something, it is a little unintuitive at first. Its awesome though! If anyone is selling a Wii U or 3DS code, let me know, I want to gift it to my brother for his bday today.

Instro

Played a couple levels tonight, I'm super impressed. Lots of really neat little secrets in each level and the first town. Controls took a minute to get used to, but after that it felt like second nature. Shovel Knight stopping on a dime makes the platforming and movement feel very precise.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait... is it only early release for backers? Because I ordered on HB later on and it's not on my page.

Ugh, using the 360 controller is so terrible for this game that I'm debating double dipping on WiiU. I mean, I guess I could just figure out a way to hook up my Pro Controller to my PC (or a PS3 controller, hmmm). That or just good ol' keyboard.
I might use my arcade stick like a baws.

Adam Blue

Just played a bunch. Very fun!

I suggest those that hate the 360 dpad to get the 360 pad with the new dpad. It's a phenomenal dpad and I've been able to be very accurate with this game.

jett

D-Member
This game is less Mega Man-ish than I thought, I figured the bosses would give you new weapons and such. :p

It's pretty awesome so far and it can get pretty challenging, although I dunno about the chalices (maybe I shouldn't use them :p) and the dark souls mechanic of losing money when you die. It's neat though, better than losing everything you did after you hit the checkpoint.

I kind of want an arranged soundtrack already! Or a stereo version of what we currently have. :p

Snagging this avatar from the OP, if anyone already has it PM me and I'll switch back.
MfFnbSA.png

Thanks!

Javier

Got my backer code for the Wii U and played two levels. Great game, but I'll dive into it deeper during the weekend.

I'm thinking of getting the PC version even though I rarely PC game. It's either that or wait for a PS4 version to be announced. How much additional content are they working on?

So I PM'd this guy offering to trade my 3DS code for his Wii U code, he agrees. I give him my 3DS code, and its been almost an hour later and he has yet to PM the Wii U code, after saying it will just take him a minute to get it. He did however thank me for the 3DS code. I just checked and sure enough, its been redeemed already. Thanks man. Didn't think GAF would be a place where I'd get screwed. I really hope this is just some error in communication.
I'm sorry to hear that, that's not how GAFers should treat eachother. Do you have PayPal? I'll throw you enough to cover the game.

Fbh

Have they talked about other platforms?

I'm temped to buy this for my 3DS but It wouldn't be the first time I buy a downloadable game and then 2 months later the "mega super delux" version with "5 extra levels, a new difficulty and 20 new skins for the main character" gets announced for every other platform

This game surprised me. I funded it just to support an indie game maker but it's really damn good. The little thrill of discovery when you shovel a wall and it breaks away is awesome.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh man, this is a lot of fun already. Loving how interactive the village is. I can't believe how much time I spent trying to bounce on the hoop kid's hoop just now.
Then I find out there's an achievement for it. Fuuuuuuu

Damn, this is good! So good!!

I had to call it quits only because I'm the type of gamer that loves to savor his games. I never play a game straight through on the first sitting(that's my little brother). But I was tempted to push further. Yacht Club Games captured the classic NES platformer feel pretty damn flawlessly. Lots of precision jumps where players have to focus and be in control of their reaction to everything around them. That's the type of zone I used to get into when I was a kid back in the day. Zen gaming! Damn it feels good!!!

Five

Banned
This game is less Mega Man-ish than I thought, I figured the bosses would give you new weapons and such. :p

It's pretty awesome so far and it can get pretty challenging, although I dunno about the chalices (maybe I shouldn't use them :p) and the dark souls mechanic of losing money when you die. It's neat though, better than losing everything you did after you hit the checkpoint.

I kind of want an arranged soundtrack already! Or a stereo version of what we currently have. :p

Kind of, though, since you can find a new relic hidden in each boss level.

Also, you keep the chalices in perpetuity. Just go back to the king of troupple to refil your chalice.

jblank83

The cutscene after the first level is as beautiful and evocative as something in the 8-bit aesthetic can possibly get. And interactive cutscenes in my NES action game? Wow.

Tons of details, tons of secrets, fantastic spritework, amazing music, great level design, tight controls.

Love it.

I object to the game being fair after playing the second major knight level.
Sorry, vision is a prereq for me.
Still a great game overall though.

Played for a few hours. GOTForever for me!

I can't catch Shield Knight for the life of me. First it was "QUICK CATCH NOPE TOO LATE", then "FIGHT THESE GUYS WHOOPS MISSED". I feel so bad for Shovel Knight! ;_;
lol the first time was luck and a bit of anticipation. I'm sure there will be more opportunities later on!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Is the 3d good enough on the 3DS to deal with its d-pad (original 3ds), or should i just go with Wii U

Briarios

Is the 3d good enough on the 3DS to deal with its d-pad (original 3ds), or should i just go with Wii U

I'm trying to decide Wii U or 3DS, too ... I think I'll go Wii U to throw some love that way.

Also, curse all of you! I totally thought I'd be able to skip over this game X(

Five

Banned
I object to the game being fair after playing the second major knight level.
Sorry, vision is a prereq for me.
Still a great game overall though.

Hmm, I liked that segment. It was certainly a bit of a difficulty spike, but nothing unmanageable.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Are Wii U eshop dl-codes region free? Because I received my code already despite the game not being released yet here in Europe.

OmahaG8

Any reasons beyond controller preference to picking Wii U over PC or vice versa?

Edit: I've read the first post. I guess I mean in terms of performance/smoothness.

RedBoot

Just beat him. First try, actually. The phase relic from
Spectre Knight
is pretty OP in boss fights. Buy enough magic upgrades to have 60 or 70 MP and you should have enough to last through most of the boss' attacks. First try, beat Baz with 5/8 HP left.

Actually, I found it easy enough just to bounce on his head the whole time. As long as you can keep aiming properly, there's not a lot he can do about it. You can't hurt him when he's spinning his whip, and keeping up the bounce is tough when he goes airborne, but otherwise it's an easy way to start the fight out. When his pattern changes near the end it's not as effective, but by then I had such a health advantage that I could just trade blows with him.

Anything special you can do with him post-fight?
If you hit him when he's crying, you get a tiny bit of cash, but that seems to be it. Reize dropped a large jewel, so I wonder if there's a way to get one from him too.

El Odio

Banned
Hm, morning release for the Wii u version means that I'll probably just pick up the steam version when I get home from work tomorrow.

Hmm, I liked that segment. It was certainly a bit of a difficulty spike, but nothing unmanageable.

For me it was a dozen cheap deaths and a way to make the boss needlessly difficult (though you can offset the latter with chalices). I'd rather play MM1 Iceman levels than play that stage ever again.

Yeah, its been 2 and a half hours and the guy has never gotten back to me. Disappointing. And man I wanna be playing this game! Ah well, more money for Yacht Club. (Not like I'm NOT buying this game tomorrow.)

Man that's really messed up. I really hope you get that code sooner than later. You shouldn't be waiting to play this game like us peasants are doing. =[

Top Bottom