• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Agent Locke is a playable character, comic-con panel on

LuuKyK

The font they used for NIghtfall is really similar to the one in Killzone Shadowfall. My brain almost tricked me there.

I don't like how that picture has the Halo 4 Battle Rifle next to the DMR and Assault rifle. Like everything else in Halo 4, it just doesn't fit in well with the designs from previous Halo games.

I hope this guy is more likeable than any of the Spartan 4s we've met so far and properly acts close to how a Spartan should. They were pretty bad in Halo 4 and i don't think they were portrayed how a Spartan (or even an ODST) should be. I know Spartan 4s are just normal people but they were completely unprofessional in Halo 4.

Xenon

Poster looks too clean, comes off cheap.

TVQ7f0P.jpg

better?

I hope Halo 5 isn't dependent on media outside of the games. Halo 4 was really bad at this. It expected you to have read books to understand the basic story.

I hope Halo 5 isn't dependent on media outside of the games. Halo 4 was really bad at this. It expected you to have read books to understand the basic story.

Pretty sure they said that they got the message loud and clear, and will try to explain it better within the game. But Nightfall will still be the origin story of Locke, so hopefully it will just add flavor to Halo 5 and not be mandatory to enjoy it.

Every Halo is terrible at story-telling due to this. I'm not reading the books. This needs to be changed in next Halo games.

You should give Fall of Reach a read, it's a solid book.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks and sounds awesome.

Hopefully Arby as another playable character. CAN YOU SAY THREE CAMPAIGNS?

Majanew

Banned
MS ain't that dumb

More like MS ain't got the balls. It would be a bold move and as long as Master Chief's departure/death was handled correctly, I'd applaud. 343i would have Chief leave before they killed him. If killed, they can't bring him back like that Superman bullshit, though. Superman is DEAD.

Every Halo is terrible at story-telling due to this. I'm not reading the books. This needs to be changed in next Halo games.

Toa TAK

Banned
Cool, I'm down with Locke getting the spotlight as a playable character. It's like what Halo 2 did with The Arbiter.

ElRenoRaven

Yea um this didn't work out so well for Halo 2 and it had an interesting 2nd character. My hype for 5 has now plummeted.

SpartanN92

Banned
"Survival is a Choice"

It takes place on the wreckage of Installation 04-A

I'm guessing Flood story...

There has been a lot of flood build up lately. The Mona Lisa, the Forerunner Trilogy, and most recently the flood infection on board the lost ship Spirit of Fire in the new comic series.

Pretty sure they said that they got the message loud and clear, and will try to explain it better within the game. But Nightfall will still be the origin story of Locke, so hopefully it will just add flavor to Halo 5 and not be mandatory to enjoy it.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Yea um this didn't work out so well for Halo 2 and it had an interesting 2nd character. My hype for 5 has now plummeted.

That's what I'm saying. What makes this guy interesting? He looks ripped out of Call of Duty.

At least give us an alien or robot or something. This is a fantasy, not a war sim.

manual4

Banned
frank and co have already stated that this will not be the case , infact on gaf frank answers question related to that

jelly

Hasley along with Master Chief sacrifice themselves to save humanity with his new superpowers. Locke is given coordinates from Hasley to a secret facility and sets out to find it. Upon reaching the facility, there is clones, one of a young women and man.(Hasley's body) and John 117. Cortana "I've waiting a long time for this". Credits role. Halo 6.

Vast.

Banned
Bullshit. Not a single Halo aside from Halo 4 places much significance in outside material. And that's actually a bit of a tragedy. Halo 4 has the opposite problem where they didn't expand enough in game on some core things.
That's what I'm saying. What makes this guy interesting? He looks ripped out of Call of Duty.

At least give us an alien or robot or something. This is a fantasy, not a war sim.
Da fuck? It's sci-fi, and he's going to end up as a Spartan...you know, just like this other main character of the series.
Calling something Call of Duty is such a lame criticism. As for what makes him interesting...the fact that he's a visible minority and that he'll be chasing/hunting/looking for the Chief is interesting enough for now.

Toa TAK

Banned

Really? The Arbiter ended up being a better character then the Chief in Halo 2. I'd say give Locke a chance.

I expected him to be playable as much considering he was on the cover and all. Not great evidence but this wasn't surprising in the slightest.

Percy

Banned
Yep, that promo image has SyFy channel original written all over it alright. Forward Unto Dawn redux. Will not watch.

Really? The Arbiter ended up being a better character then the Chief in Halo 2. I'd say give Locke a chance.

I expected him to be playable as much considering he was on the cover and all. Not great evidence but this wasn't surprising in the slightest.

Lol, Arbiter better than Chief? Hell no! The whole time I played as the Arbiter in Halo 2 I hated it.

Couple of bullet points to clarify for people:

- These guys aren't Spartans... yet. Locke for sure becomes a Spartan-IV by the events of Halo 5, which are voluntarily recruited and not forcefully abducted as kids like the IIs and IIIs. The MJOLNIR armor adds on a few hundred pounds and a bunch of extra height depending on how big the suit is, exactly.

- The Spartans undergo some physical augmentations that affect their actual bodies, for example "carbide ceramic ossification" that makes their bones nigh-unbreakable. On top of this, there's muscular enhancements and reaction time improvements to actually be able to "pilot" the MJOLNIR armor, which is by all accounts a human-sized mech. Without physical augmentation, even the strongest UNSC space marine would crumple up like waste in a trash compactor due to how advanced the power suits are. While some trickery might go on to make sure Locke doesn't have to dope up to look Spartan buff during Nightfall, he's going to get even beefier in-universe when he gets recruited into the Spartan-IV program.

- Human weapons in the Halo universe have become relatively lightweight in contrast to their size for a few reasons: in particular, a lot of their arms are "stripped-down" because the Covenant ate up a lot of their budget in the past. On top of this, while the weapons look huge in human hands, they're meant to be proportional to the size of a Spartan wielding them. Even in past games, the guns look huge in the hands of infantrymen but pretty reasonable when wielded by Spartans.

- The Forerunners had advanced technology pertaining to "natural, not artificial" atmospheric generation and climate control and also specialized in technological compartmentalization to avoid getting trade secrets stolen if anything fell into the hands of their enemies. Chances are the Halo Array, some of their most notable pieces of tech, have the capacity to engage in individualized meteorological stability, even if the ring is fragmented. Note that in-game the metallic techy "motherboard" portion on the outside of the ring repeats and tesselates every so often over the course of the entire circumference of the ring, so it's likely that they produce "pizza-cutter" portions of the ring each with identical feature sets rather than pulling a series circuit and causing the whole ring to malfunction if, say, a single weather generator is destroyed.

- It's entirely possible we could see Covenant stragglers or even sealed-up Flood on Alpha Halo (the ring Locke is on) in this series. A majority of the life there was annihilated when the Autumn blew up, but particularly fanatical Covenant could have gone back when the Halo fragments stabilized in order to look for survivors, relics, etc.

It's an interesting setup, for sure.

ElRenoRaven

Lol, Arbiter better than Chief? Hell no! The whole time I played as the Arbiter in Halo 2 I hated it.

I'll be honest. I liked the arbiter as a character but I felt his missions could have easily been Chief missions had they been relocated to different points in the campaign. I just think this is going to hurt the game a ton. Most people play Halo to be the Master Chief and not someone else.

The only thing I didn't like with FOD and Halo 4 was how disconnected it felt from one another. They made it seem like once we saw Lasky in the game, they would at least have a moment of nostalgia with what went down in FOD but that wasn't the case. Almost felt like they were meeting for the first time in Halo 4.

Hope this isn't the case for this.

Toa TAK

Banned

Maybe the gameplay or levels themselves weren't up your alley, as I know they're not for me, (damn you Quarantine Zone), but the guy had more of a human story then, well, any of the humans in the trilogy. He was a lot more relateable (is this a word?) then the Chief's story easily.

Torlain

Banned
Yep, that promo image has SyFy channel original written all over it alright. Forward Unto Dawn redux. Will not watch.

You got all that from a single promo image?

At least try to wait until a trailer comes out....

Also, FUD was pretty good for the most part.

Top Bottom