• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Agent Locke is a playable character, comic-con panel on

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You're right, it is enough for now. Hopefully there is more to this guy than 343 is letting us know at this point.

I guess what I'm saying is I am hoping there is something more to him beyond being just another Spartan who happens to be looking for the Chief. Maybe he gets horribly disfigured and becomes a cyborg Spartan. Maybe he ends up being a playable antagonist. And is it really even worth mentioning that he's a minority? Do we even know if black is a minority in 2552 or whenever this takes place? I do think it's good to see people of color in starring roles in video games, but I just need something more than "dude who's a Spartan" to care.

Chief and Cortana is all I need, and Arbiter would just be icing on the cake.

Of course you don't care about him as a character, you haven't seen the show. Are they supposed to want you feel for this character based only on a picture and a quick synopsis of the show?

TheOddOne

Do we get to see a certain janitor in Nightfall?
Nah, bruh. He has a new jub.

jqCg1awFb7UrC.jpg

What the heck are you talking about? Enough with your concern trolling

HA! I'm not concerned at all anymore. Concern went away and acceptance has become the norm since Halo 4 came out. The bad news is that the Halo I loved and enjoyed is for all intents and purposes dead. Without Bungie it will never have the life, spirit and essence that it had in the past. It's just a shell of it's former glory going through the motions as a microsoft cash cow now. Personally, I hope they get a new lead character. The time has come to let Master Chief have his viking funeral, if for no other reason than just to make sure his legacy isn't tarnished by... something else.

The good news is that the MC collection comes out this year and that will be the only Halo game I will ever need again.

HA! I'm not concerned at all anymore. Concern went away and acceptance has become the norm since Halo 4 came out. The bad news is that the Halo I loved and enjoyed is for all intents and purposes dead. Without Bungie it will never have the life, spirit and essence that it had in the past. It's just a shell of it's former glory going through the motions as a microsoft cash cow now. Personally, I hope they get a new lead character. The time has come to let Master Chief have his viking funeral, if for no other reason than just to make sure his legacy isn't tarnished by... something else.

The good news is that the MC collection comes out this year and that will be the only Halo game I will ever need again.

Lmao! Ok......

Bsigg12

Hmm cautiously optimistic for this. FUD was good and playing as Locke seems like it'll be OK as long as the missions seem unique enough to him. Being an ONI agent opens up some really cool opportunities.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Basically confirms what I suspected from before E3 that Halo 5 will structurally play like Halo 2. Switching between Chief and Locke missions.

Cool.

Nightfall looks great. I can't wait to see it.

I gotta say, though, I still disapprove of Halo weapons being used in real-life portrayals of the universe. They look silly.

Hmmmmmmm.
I continue to be interested.

Locke being a playable part of Guardians.. another human player, but a ONI Spartan [so stealth bits?]
Hope it feels justified and is more than just a bullet point.

Nightfall looks great. I can't wait to see it.

I gotta say, though, I still disapprove of Halo weapons being used in real-life portrayals of the universe. They look silly.

What would you use? I would loose my mind if I saw an M4 or a AK47 being used.

I'd probably just design all new weapons. Those weapon designs were made for a videogame...I've never thought their visual design translates well into real-life portrayals.

Not seeing the iconic weapons from the game in the TV/Movie would just not make it "Halo" to me and probably most Halo fans. What next? swapping out the Warthog for a Jeep Wrangler or a Hummer H3?

Salz01

The only two things that look like they belong in Halo are the guns and the blown up ring in the back ground. The rest looks like a sci fi soap opera that's produced by MTV.

Thoraxes

I love Halo lore, so this looks rad.
Plot twist:

Locke is the second player when playing co-op.
He was with Chief the whole time!
1893302_o.gif

Plot twist on your plot twist:

They figured out how to make AI have physical properties. He's a projection of Chief's new AI that can take bodily form that had to undergo training.

The only two things that look like they belong in Halo are the guns and the blown up ring in the back ground. The rest looks like a sci fi soap opera that's produced by MTV.

See, now that's a bit of a forced criticism, wouldn't you say?. You're acting as if Halo wasn't always a series that had human infantry or marines of some kind. What did you believe Halo Combat Evolved was outside of the Master Chief and the Covenant? What kind of character do you feel Sgt. Johnson epitomizes?

See, now that's a bit of a forced criticism, wouldn't you say?. You're acting as if Halo wasn't always a series that had human infantry or marines of some kind. What did you believe Halo Combat Evolved was outside of the Master Chief and the Covenant? What kind of character do you feel Sgt. Johnson epitomizes?

bububu those are classics, man! this new hyper-realistic shit doesn't hold up!

Protip: if you made everything photoreal in Combat Evolved, a sizeable portion of the content would be militaristic and human. You were finding janky shit like Assault Rifles elbow-deep in the bowels of the downed Truth and Reconciliation. Even the Flood look particularly organic. It's not like the "human element" is something that shouldn't be explored in the Halo universe, it's just that the Corrine Yu's husband-style "UNSC encampments by rocky Forerunner outposts," vaseline-smeared, squishy-metallic treble-and-no-bass sound and visuals aesthetic isn't the way to go about it.

QKT100

Banned

Humanity's military had never been a storyline focus until ODST, which was only a small spin off story. Now it would seem they are the only part of the Halo universe.

Humanity's military had never been a storyline focus until ODST, which was only a small spin off story. Now it would seem they are the only part of the Halo universe.

The opening cinematic of Combat Evolved has you looking at the height of their military's power. The only reason it wasn't a major component of the story was because the Autumn got downed in the first mission.

No it doesn't.

I'm saying at that time. Obviously Reach had a way higher level of power and 2557 UNSC even more so, but after the fall of Reach they put most of their military eggs in one basket by having the superpowered prototype Autumn make a blind jump carrying Chief.

In hindsight, it's kinda weird they're doing the same thing with the Infinity. Temporarily losing communication with it when it got downed in Requiem. I can't imagine how badly the investors flipped their shit for those few hours.

jem0208

The opening cinematic of Combat Evolved has you looking at the height of their military's power. The only reason it wasn't a major component of the story was because the Autumn got downed in the first mission.

Really?

That was directly after the Fall of Reach. A point where the UNSC had already taken a massive battering by the Covenant. That's what I remember at least...

Really?

That was directly after the Fall of Reach. A point where the UNSC had already taken a massive battering by the Covenant. That's what I remember at least...

I worded that badly, see above. Those hangar shots and Cortana's exposition were basically cementing "yeah, this is as good as it gets until we escape the Covenant."

QKT100

Banned
I'm saying at that time. Obviously Reach had a way higher level of power and 2557 UNSC even more so, but after the fall of Reach they put most of their military eggs in one basket by having the superpowered prototype Autumn make a blind jump carrying Chief.

In hindsight, it's kinda weird they're doing the same thing with the Infinity. Temporarily losing communication with it when it got downed in Requiem. I can't imagine how badly the investors flipped their shit for those few hours.

The Autumn had poor offensive capabilities, it was chosen for the practical benefits it would lend the Spartans II's on their mission to capture someone from Covenant high command.

Regardless, the opening of Halo:CE existed to set up the context for why this particular crew would be marooned on a mysterious ring world, military involvement was included to provide a backdrop for future gameplay mechanics which would feature throughout the game. However under 343i it would no doubt be some lame origin story for Keyes or Johnson.

Even first and foremost, Frank described Nightfall as "kind of the origin of a superhero in a way". This pretty much shows yet again that we will see yet another Halo plot-line focus on a single lame character as opposed to exciting events with a more universal significance.

Edit - Also, if we have to go through one more fucking augmentation scene...

Frog-fu

Banned
I cannot wait for this. I am super hyped for Halo 5, the Master Chief Collection, Nightfall and the TV show. It's a good time to be a Halo fan alright.

They're missing out on some really obvious trailer imagery right now. Transition from a Spartan-II augmentation scene where you see Chief's suspiciously angular, almost mechanical scars and line them up with the still-hot lines burned into a human world from an ongoing glassing.

Top Bottom