• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's Automatic RGB setting is unreliable, so double check your TV / PS4

Stranya

I checked what you were saying about the different ports. I tried all 3 HDMI ports and the only one where the screen flickered and the picture changed when I set it as PC was HDMI1. The sharpness does go to 50 like you said. But most of the other options just get greyed out, and I lose the option to adjust sharpness, color, tint, black level/black adjust, and even the option to pick 'just scan' as the aspect ratio, and the picture quality still looks much worse than what I had before. Where before I could see threads on game characters clothing it now looked smoothed over. I'm not sure what's going on here.
Yeah a lot of options are greyed out, but don't worry about that. Also don't worry about screen ratio - PC mode automatically changes the 16:9 to screen fit (though it doesn't tell you that); compare the ratios of PC mode 16:9 and normal mode screen fit, and you'll see they are identical.
Another thing to check is the picture mode. There are two options in PC mode: dynamic or normal. Dynamic cranks the back light max and over saturates the picture. I find normal is better.
I would go with normal and calibrate the picture with the options you can adjust in PC mode. Bear in mind that, unlike films, there is no universal standard for games. If you would like my settings to try out, let me know.

Ferr986

Have you tried adjusting Contrast and Brightness? Make sure you don't have Dynamic Contrast on or any options that messes with the picture/backlight. If you continue to have issues then your display may just clip 235-255 and there may not anything you can do.

The image was originally created to help those who wanted to setup their TVs for movies and such (16-235), so the wording is in that context. There should be steps under 16 and over 235 if you're verifying 0-255

Yeah I tried adjusting contrast and brightness and no luck, and I'm fairly sure that I have everything OFF (TV is on PC mode so I cant' even activate those options).
Not that it bothers much, it looks OK for me, but it seemed weird

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Damn, wish I did this day 1.

Set up my TV/PS4 to "Full", used this NXGamer Youtube video to adjust my other settings and it's like night and day. I changed my settings a little bit, setting Gamma to Medium and I think I can still reduce my brightness a tiny bit.

It's clear I was getting crushed blacks before and overcompensated with brightness leaving me with washed out brights and bullshit black levels. I just booted up Diablo 3, Infamous First Light, Binding of Isaac & Spelunky real quick this morning - WOW. Diablo 3 looks like a different game & I had no idea Spelunky had dynamic shadows for platforms and stuff.

THANKS OP!

Tahnit

Banned
i cant find this setting on my brand new visio e550i. The only thing that is close is black detail but maxing that and doing the same on the ps4 washes out the colors. There is RGB offset but what setting do i put it at? its at 0-255

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This is all I can find about my old Panasonic TCP42G15:

6,144 Equivalent Steps of Gradation
Deep Color
x.v.Color

I've always had my PS4 mode on Full anyway though...

thenameDS

Ok so I think my TV supports Full. This is my current configuration, PC Mode HDMI 1 (PS4) PC Mode HDMI 2 (Xbox one)

On the PS4, RGB Full and on the TV HDMI Black Level Normal. I can distinguish all the squares on the image, but the first two are a little hard.

Exactly the same settings on the xbox one, however I can only see the last 10 squares!! Only way to see them the same as the PS4 is to have Limited RGB on the xbox and black level to Normal on the tv.

djshauny

Banned
If you have a Samsung LED, go to settings, then change the input label of the HDMI input you're using to "PC", you'll see the screen flicker for a second, and when it comes back, prepare to see the purest, rawest, bestest, perfectest image, crystal clear HD. I can't go back to normal TV now.

You're welcome!

If I do that the image goes blury and cant change most of the settings?

i cant find this setting on my brand new visio e550i. The only thing that is close is black detail but maxing that and doing the same on the ps4 washes out the colors. There is RGB offset but what setting do i put it at? its at 0-255

RGB range listed at 0-255 is the same thing as saying RGB FULL. So you select that on your tv and put your PS4 to RGB range FULL in the display settings menu. So on your tv, black detail is something else. Put that back to a moderate/middle setting. For your TV, it apparently classifies it as RGB offset, annoying how different manufacturers call it different things..

Also, again - a general rule of thumb, generally out of the box, factory settings HDTV's RGB typically default to limited. Computer monitors default to FULL. But it's also best to scan through your tv's menu settings.

The point has always been to set your PS4 up manually, not this automatic bullshit that doesn't even work.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Does anyone know if a sony kdlw800b is a full capable set as I can see first square but is hard

bnx

Yep this helped me tremendously. I'm just glad I found out about this issue after 2 weeks of owning my PS4 rather than months later.

fullrgb_test.jpg

So, I've set my Samsung TV to Normal and the PS4 to Full and I can see this image correctly.
All the squares no problem.

I set my Xbox One to PC RGB and again the TV to Normal and I can only see the last row and three of the row above it on the left.

How can it work for the PS4 and not the Xbox One? Any suggestions?

AR15mex

Hi guys,

I've been going through pages and I haven't seen anything for Vizio TVs. I follow the video from NX gamer. Instead of getter a better one I got something way worst. Does anyone has any idea what are the best setting for a VIZIO.

My model: XVT473S

Any help would be appreciated.

Mother of God. I fixed my PS4 and TV settings last night and what a difference. Dark areas in Bloodborne now are perfectly visible and the colours pop up and are much more vivid. Thanks OP!

BenN

My ps4 was set to automatic and I never noticed any crushed clacks or washed out images, but when I read this in the op:

"If you notice that often times you have to lower the games in-game brightness settings really low in order to achieve whatever the game is asking (usually : lower brightness until said object is no longer visible) than likely your RGB setting is off"

That is definitely something I have had with my ps4, particularly recently with Bloodborne's in game brightness adjustment slider (man visible/beast invisible), even at zero in the adjustment slider the "beast" is still visible".

So I found the color range settings in my ~2013 Sony bravia and the HDMI input for my ps4 was set at auto too (so ps4: auto, Tv: auto).
I set this to Full, and then set the ps4 to full....and there is no difference at all in general look (bloodborne looks the same in full/full as in auto/auto) so auto must have been working anyway, though I guess I will leave it set to full/full now.

I even checked the black square image from the first page here in the ps4 browser, and I can see the entire top row in "full" mode.

I tried the in game brightness slider in bloodborne again now I'm set to full/full, but its exactly the same...even at zero the "beast"is still visible.
What could this mean...that the tv settings are still off (ie brightness etc) or is this just the game not really communicating the idea right...can you get the "beast" to actually disappear, or just be more faint?

For me I would have to turn both the "back-light" (8 default) and "brightness" (50 defualt)settings on the tv way way down to do this, which just does not seem right.
Also does anyone know what "the "picture" slider in sony tv settings does or means exactly..its the only one to me that seems oddly high at its default value (90)?

Any info or help appreciated!

Despera

Banned
Currently playing The Witcher 3 and setting both my tv and PS4 RGB settings to High/Full made a huge difference. Colors are much more vibrant now.

I bookmarked this thread and just now remembered to try it out. Wish I've done it sooner while going through Bloodborne.

They may have fixed this. Mine auto adjusts correctly now.

They didn't fix shit.

I just got a new 4k 28 inch Samsung monitor. Like most monitors under their "PC" settings, it has Black level at low and normal. Obviously low corresponds to RGB limited, and normal corresponds to RGB full. It's set at normal (aka RGB FULL)

The PS4 on "auto" is assuming the Samsung is outputting at limited. I had to set the PS4 to FULL for the screen not to look like it was suffering from cataracts.

So fucking stupid. Congrats Sony you're machine is deliberately fucking up everyone's color gamut. Do everyone a favor and just get rid of the automatic option since its not working properly.

Currently playing The Witcher 3 and setting both my tv and PS4 RGB settings to High/Full made a huge difference. Colors are much more vibrant now.

I bookmarked this thread and just now remembered to try it out. Wish I've done it sooner while going through Bloodborne.

Glad this thread helped. Make sure you spread the love the next time you're at a friends/family members place and you notice something is off with their tv.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Damn, this makes a massive difference when playing Bloodborne. Thank you, OP. How silly that the automatic option is even listed as "recommended." I remember thinking when I first set up my console that I should set the RGB range to Full from the outset, but, eh, Sony knows best? Wasn't until I got a new PC monitor just recently that I suspected something was off.

KyleCross

I'm actually having an issue on my PS4 and... it is actually an issue I notice on everything. Problem is, I don't know how normal it is. I have what is called color banding/gradient banding. I can see strips of varying shades of color in a gradient instead of just a smooth transition.

For example, at the very start of MGSV when the logos are playing and you hear the helicopter crash going on, the screen displays a quote with a red glow on a black background. I can basically see "waves" in it, instead of it being all smooth. I have had this on basically everything, not just PS4. I ask here because this is the most appropriate thread I can think of. I've actually found some really good advice in calibration in this thread.

I have what I consider a good Samsung LED and basically I'm curious if this is actually normal, or if not what is the trick to fixing it.

thatJohann

Yeah a lot of options are greyed out, but don't worry about that. Also don't worry about screen ratio - PC mode automatically changes the 16:9 to screen fit (though it doesn't tell you that); compare the ratios of PC mode 16:9 and normal mode screen fit, and you'll see they are identical.
Another thing to check is the picture mode. There are two options in PC mode: dynamic or normal. Dynamic cranks the back light max and over saturates the picture. I find normal is better.
I would go with normal and calibrate the picture with the options you can adjust in PC mode. Bear in mind that, unlike films, there is no universal standard for games. If you would like my settings to try out, let me know.

I have your same setup in PC mode and picture mode Standard. what settings are you using for ps4? :)

B-Dex

What is the deep colour option on the PS4?

Also I just saw this thread and changed from low hdmi black lvl to normal and turned the PS4 to full and got a big leap in PQ. So thanks OP.

Gono

Banned
Does anyone else have a Panasonic TC-L42E60? I can't seem to figure out if there's a way to set it to a PC mode, or what the preferred RGB setting is for the TV.

I have the same one. Couldn't set PC mode. And I can't see any differences switching RGB modes.

Sony still hasn't patched this shit!? What the fuck are they doing?

It has remained unfixed forever on both PS4 and PSTV.

The last Sony console that properly outputted HDMI Full Range through my receiver was the PS3.

Both actually work correctly when connected directly to the TV, which would imply the fault was in the receiver. But my gaming and media PCs output Full Range correctly this way, my PS3 and 360 do as well. It's actually possible something in the HDMI spec changed between 1.3b, the version my receiver supports, and 1.4 which is what the PS4 and PSTV support. If so then fuck it, it will probably work properly when I replace my receiver which is something I plan to do when the final HDMI 2.0 + HDCP 2.2 + Ultra HD Blu-ray spec is properly supported by them, probably in the 2016 models.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hot recommendation: Don't use Until Dawn to test your black levels. That games blacks are all over the place and I checked my TV like 6 times while playing just to ensure the settings were correct.

I'm coming in to say that as far as "Set the tv to FULL black levels" and choosing full in the PS4 goes, it isn't always going to look better. At least if what I'm understanding here is correct and I should only switch RGB settings to 'full' if I have the tv 'black level' set to high.

I've been calibrating my TV with the Disney WOW blu-ray. Long story short I have an LG tv with that 'global dimming' bullshit that is impossible to turn off and the only work around is to set the TV 'black level' setting to high instead of low. The issue with that is that to get rid of the global dimming I had to sacrifice FUCK ALL with the brightness/contrast setting to the point I could never get both ideal brightness and contrast (aka ideal blacks and whites) on my screen. It was either/or with the back settings and PS4 set to the highest value. This is probably more due to my TV screen being a 2014 decently priced LG tv which are apparently infamous for bad black levels (and that god awful global dimming).

So I set the black levels to low and the PS4 RGB settings to limited. First of all it was immediately noticeable in my ps4 fireplace theme, where the upper right side was completely black in the full setting, and now I can actually see the bricks in the chimney? Makes no sense since in full the blacks looked grey and I had to go super low to get them back, but could never get the whites right.

But more importantly I was able to adjust the brightness and contrast to levels I can actually have both to the ideal black/white. The sacrifice is that now I have to deal with the global dimming issue, but I calibrated the brightness with the global dimming in mind so hopefully that fixes the issue. Worst comes to worst if I'm playing a game and dark areas are impossible I'll adjust the in-game brightness.

I'm coming in to say that as far as "Set the tv to FULL black levels" and choosing full in the PS4 goes, it isn't always going to look better. At least if what I'm understanding here is correct and I should only switch RGB settings to 'full' if I have the tv 'black level' set to high.

I've been calibrating my TV with the Disney WOW blu-ray. Long story short I have an LG tv with that 'global dimming' bullshit that is impossible to turn off and the only work around is to set the TV 'black level' setting to high instead of low. The issue with that is that to get rid of the global dimming I had to sacrifice FUCK ALL with the brightness/contrast setting to the point I could never get both ideal brightness and contrast (aka ideal blacks and whites) on my screen. It was either/or with the back settings and PS4 set to the highest value. This is probably more due to my TV screen being a 2014 decently priced LG tv which are apparently infamous for bad black levels (and that god awful global dimming).

So I set the black levels to low and the PS4 RGB settings to limited. First of all it was immediately noticeable in my ps4 fireplace theme, where the upper right side was completely black in the full setting, and now I can actually see the bricks in the chimney? Makes no sense since in full the blacks looked grey and I had to go super low to get them back, but could never get the whites right.

But more importantly I was able to adjust the brightness and contrast to levels I can actually have both to the ideal black/white. The sacrifice is that now I have to deal with the global dimming issue, but I calibrated the brightness with the global dimming in mind so hopefully that fixes the issue. Worst comes to worst if I'm playing a game and dark areas are impossible I'll adjust the in-game brightness.

have you changed the Input label to PC? this will remove all post processing effects and reduce input lag. it might even get rid of that global illumination thing.

not sure our LG sets are the same year but worth a try

on your TV remote
1. hit input
2. hit the Input Label button (mine is BLUE, it's with all the other multicolored buttons at the bottom of the remote)
3. change the name to "PC"
4. the input selection box should now have a Laptop as an icon

input-list.png

obviously our sets are different but the only thing that I can change anymore is Gamma Level (Medium) and Black Level. (High)

I have no problem with seeing all the black gradients on the blackness scale 0-255

have you changed the Input label to PC? this will remove all post processing effects and reduce input lag. it might even get rid of that global illumination thing.

not sure our LG sets are the same year but worth a try

on your TV remote
1. hit input
2. hit the Input Label button (mine is BLUE, it's with all the other multicolored buttons at the bottom of the remote)
3. change the name to "PC"
4. the input selection box should now have a Laptop as an icon

input-list.png

obviously our sets are different but the only thing that I can change anymore is Gamma Level (Medium) and Black Level. (High)

I have no problem with seeing all the black gradients on the blackness scale 0-255

Appreciate the feedback. I went ahead and switched the input type to 'PC' and it still had the global dimming, so switched to gaming since I assume it'll also have the lowest amount of lag. My tv picture main setting was already in gaming anyways.

This is a 2014 smart tv, bought it earlier this year at a decent price. It's probably not the highest quality, I'll eventually get a better.bigger tv but since 99% of the time it's just me in this apt I don't need a bigger one than 42 inches as I tend to live in small apartments.

Global dimming just seems to be an issue in general with these tv sets, and unfortunately my TV's full black levels just wash out the whole image and makes blacks greys, and no amount of fiddling with contrast and brightness (i have gamma set at medium too) will fix the issue when I switch to full and then switch the PS4 RGB settings to Full.

I can't tell much of a difference in the Disney WOW brightness/contrast when I switch the RGB settings to full, but the background in my theme looks darker and there are some crushed blacks (if I switch to full in PS4 but leave low black levels). It's a bit more pleasing to my eye for some silly reason but I'd rather have more accurate levels so I'll leave it as is.

Thanks for the advice though. Just seems like I'll have to deal with limited blacks if I want to deal with optimal visual calibration though. Later on I'll hopefully get a better tv with a surround sound system, but that'll be years down the line. No hurry for now.

edit: as to gradients, the disney WOW blu-ray works differently. It tells you which stars need to be invisible. I could get all of the gradient to show, but that'd fuck up my contrast and brightness most likely.

Tzr3SUs.jpg

this isn't my TV btw, it's just to showcase the whole 'certain stars need to be invisible' frame of mind the blu-ray goes through if someone isn't getting what I'm talking about.

the only other thing I can think of is the Energy saving setting. I have also disabled that entirely on my set.

this thread over at AVSforums is what your talking about correct? some users have said it worked. one user also stated that for the setting to work you need to make sure the Laptop icon is showing in the Input box.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...dy-know-how-turn-off-lg-s-global-dimming.html

I have a LG plasma (50PA6500) so it might be an issue with LCD displays only.

Teknoman

So what does Deep Color Output do in the PS4 Output settings?

Also all I have is Black Level Low and High on my LG.

So i'm assuming try and see how RGB Full + High and then Limited + Low look?

NewDust

Deep Colour means that the PS4 outputs more saturated colours. Should only be applied to tv's that support this and are properly calibrated for this wider colour output. Or, ofcourse, personal preference.

Not familiar with the exact changes for LG screens though.

the only other thing I can think of is the Energy saving setting. I have also disabled that entirely on my set.

this thread over at AVSforums is what your talking about correct? some users have said it worked. one user also stated that for the setting to work you need to make sure the Laptop icon is showing in the Input box.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...dy-know-how-turn-off-lg-s-global-dimming.html

I have a LG plasma (50PA6500) so it might be an issue with LCD displays only.

I'm gonna confirm via the Disney WOW blu-ray again, but switching to the laptop view sems to have fixed the global dimming issue.

I could kiss you right now. Even if after confirmation it still does it haha. The only possible downside is that switching to the laptop mode has made my color gamut into wide, which apparently isn't entirely correct but i'll take slightly off colors over the global dimming anyday.

In video settings, or an advanced/expert/etc. submenu in there, you should be able to turn Local Dimming off.

Local dimming is under energy saver I believe, and it's already off, unless expert mode is the only official way to guarantee it being off. I have under gamer mode but by switching it to laptop/notebook mode it seems to have gotten rid of the global dimming. Putting my calibration blu-ray back in to see if that did the trick.

Teknoman

Deep Colour means that the PS4 outputs more saturated colours. Should only be applied to tv's that support this and are properly calibrated for this wider colour output. Or, ofcourse, personal preference.

Not familiar with the exact changes for LG screens though.

Cool, thanks. I'll leave it on Limited+Low for now, since that looks pretty good. Now to find the right sharpness settings.

LG 37LG50 is my model for reference in case anyone has any tips.

So i'm assuming try and see how RGB Full + High and then Limited + Low look?

set PS4 to RGBFull + TV Black Level High

now look at this image (maybe open up this thread on the PS4 web browser). if you can see all the gradients 0-255 then your TV is capable of full RGB and you'll experience better black levels.

I could kiss you right now. Even if after confirmation it still does it haha. The only possible downside is that switching to the laptop mode has made my color gamut into wide, which apparently isn't entirely correct but i'll take slightly off colors over the global dimming anyday

yes setting it to PC/Laptop has grayed out a bunch of Advanced settings. Dynamic Contrast, Noise Reduction, Film Mode, Color Gamut, Edge Enhancer have all been disabled.

Teknoman

set PS4 to RGBFull + TV Black Level High

now look at this image (maybe open up this thread on the PS4 web browser). if you can see all the gradients 0-255 then your TV is capable of full RGB and you'll experience better black levels.

After the test, Limited+Low it is. Strangely my PS3 was already set to limited heh.

I don't know if I'll be able to fully calibrate my PS4 with the Disney WOW blu-ray at least with this TV.

When I switch from the Disney WOW blu-ray to my ps4 it has different settings (maybe it doesn't recognize setting the PS4 RGB to FULL because that's where I had it). Point is it keeps dimming in the blu-ray but not on ps4 titles since they're using the full black levels on laptop mode.

I guess until i figure out why the tv itself is switching its calibration for the blu-ray I'll just put similar brightness/contrast levels that I have with the blu-ray to get the best visuals on the PS4 mode, but with full settings.

Yeah looked mostly the same shade of black.

Did you mess with your contrast/brightness?

It might simply be that the settings for those you have for TV limited + PS4 limited aren't working with TV Full + PS4 full.

My problem with full before was that it was washing out the blacks and making them grey, and no amount of messing with brightness/contrast could give me the whites/blacks I wanted.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So RGB full = HDMI black level Normal ?

So RGB full = HDMI black level Normal ?

set the PS4 to fullRGB and test out the different BlackLevel settings on your TV. use that image I posted above. if you can see all the shades of black 0-255 then you have a TV that is FullRGB capable.

all TV manufacturers have different terms for describing the black levels. so on some sets Normal is FullRGB and on other sets High is Full RGB.

Top Bottom