• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

epmode

So i manually backed up my saved about a year ago can I some how make the new patch detect that?

So long as you didn't screw around with your GFWL files, you should be OK with just moving the DS save back to its original location. It might even still be there (PC saves rarely get deleted when a game is uninstalled)!

edit: Location of Dark Souls save file in Windows 8:

<WINDOWS DRIVE>\users\<USERNAME>\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls

Mohasus

Decided to activate some extra options in DSfix and some weird shit happened.

edit: I'm dumb and typed the DoF incorrectly.

A620AF623AA6B969E074F3B02AE45175E7DB4950

2A46D5DF6EA2062C5AACE6CD85E83C8F25D462D5

gogogow

Hmmm....I didn't have to do all the steps at all. I just booted up the game and logged into my GFWL account and the game started to give me all the Steam achievements that I have unlocked.

Havel

... some guy named "boowoo90" just posted memory addresses for the Steamworks version on my blog.

If it's not a prank (or just wrong) that should fix the framerate unlocking.

Edit: according to his IP address he's Japanese. Rogue From Software employee? ;)

giphy.gif

Sentenza

... some guy named "boowoo90" just posted memory addresses for the Steamworks version on my blog.

Edit: according to his IP address he's Japanese. Rogue From Software employee? ;)
Please, PLEASE work.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hmmm....I didn't have to do all the steps at all. I just booted up the game and logged into my GFWL account and the game started to give me all the Steam achievements that I have unlocked.

DON'T do anything else!

Please, backup your DARKSOULS.EXE file right now!

I think you got the Debug version which they accidentally leaked, and myself and other posters TOTALLY want that.

It allows you free character control to fly through the world, lets you control enemies and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

PLEASE back that up and post it here to test!

In game, try pressing the back button on your 360 controller and see if a weird menu comes up.

Parsnip

Well I need to take a shower, I hope those memory addresses are correct and by the time I'm back, I can unlock the framerate again. :p

If you have a treasure trove of 50+ backups like me, I'm happy to report that, after going through the importing process with the most recent GFWL file, all of the old ones that weren't in the NBGI work automatically once placed in that folder. NO conversion necessary.

Just be sure to never try to revert to the GFWL version. It corrupts anything you put into the NBGI folder when the game tries to load the data. You can lose your files that way if you use cut rather than paste.

Disclaimer: I only have one character on file, that is tied to the only GFWL profile i've ever used.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was a FROM employee. I'm sure they would like the game to be the best it can be just like we all want it to be, even if they can't officially task it and spend the time / resources / money to do it.

You wouldn't be logging into the GFWL account if you were in the beta. You only followed some of the steps.
DON'T do anything else!

I think you got the Debug version which they accidentally leaked, and myself and other posters TOTALLY want that.

It allows you free character control to fly through the world, lets you control enemies and a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

In game, try pressing the back button on your 360 controller and see if a weird menu comes up.
I am interested in the file as well, but I don't see what indicates that's it. The base game has Steam achievements + GFWL while the Beta version has no Steam achievements + GFWL. You can just opt out of the beta to do the hybrid version.

doesn't look like i'll be able to transfer the achievements. it crashes at startup, even if i totally remove dsfix. i previously uninstalled the game through steam, so i had to re-install it this morning...not sure if that is part of the problem.

gogogow

DON'T do anything else!

I'm only getting the gesture menu, so I don't think I have the debug version.

denx

Don't know, what happend to me was that GFWL, installed by steam, crashed . I followed the steps to the letter, and it worked. (Win 8.1 btw)

Can't hurt to try

I tried that, it didn't work, still can't connect to GFWL. I'm gonna try moving the save files to the new Dark Souls folder and see what happens.

Spacejaws

Man I give up Im just gonna restart. Probably for the best anyway, went a thief and was having some real trouble with him. 15 hours in the game and still felt absolutely useless.

Thinking about some kind of magic user next but I never had enough souls to buy miracles/magic etc any recommendations?

Probably for the best anyway the game is just a huge blur for me I have no idea what I was doing. Ended up spending 5 hours of my life heading down the wrong paths and fighting bone dragons and OP skeletons.

Anustart

Died. I'm in Lost Izalith with that damn lava that burns my retinas and makes the screen an orange mess of unseeable bullshit. I'll prolly turn it back on in a year.

mtodavk

Trying to summon someone seems to crash the game for me while using dsfix. have yet to try without, but I'll give it a shot.

So will Durante be by soon to fix the framerate unlocking issues, because it happens with every update.
Are these "framerate unlocking issues" related to crashing on start up by any chance? I unlocked the frame rate, set my FPS limit at 30 and threshold at 20. Now the game just crashes on start up unless I remove the DINPUT8 dll file.

No way I'm playing this game at 15FPS.

Havel

Were you playing as a sorcerer by any chance? ;)

Nah, just a naked dude with a Clay.

Oh god I miss this game so much.

If Durante get's 60fps working then the definitive Dark Souls starts here. There's 5000 people playing right now...

Died. I'm in Lost Izalith with that damn lava that burns my retinas and makes the screen an orange mess of unseeable bullshit. I'll prolly turn it back on in a year.

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/194/?

tehh4ck3r

Neo Member
Are these "framerate unlocking issues" crashing on start up by any chance? I unlocked the frame rate, set my FPS limit at 30 and threshold at 20. Now the game just crashes on start up unless I remove the DINPUT8 dll file.

No way I'm playing this game at 15FPS.

Yes, if you unlock the framerate at all it will crash the game

Haunted

Man I give up Im just gonna restart. Probably for the best anyway, went a thief and was having some real trouble with him. 15 hours in the game and still felt absolutely useless.

Thinking about some kind of magic user next but I never had enough souls to buy miracles/magic etc any recommendations?

Probably for the best anyway the game is just a huge blur for me I have no idea what I was doing. Ended up spending 5 hours of my life heading down the wrong paths and fighting bone dragons and OP skeletons.
1) roll with a Pyromancer

2) after reaching Firelink Shrine, go up the stairs to an area called Undead Parish

I always encourage fresh starts as people are generally surprised how fast areas can be re-beaten. It's a game that feels huge on first playthrough, but becomes smaller and smaller as you increase your knowledge and skills with it.

Except if you're Jeff Green, but that's another thing.

Saroyan

There is a texture replacement for the lava so it doesn't burn your eyes anymore

Spacejaws

1) roll with a Pyromancer

2) after reaching Firelink Shrine, go up the stairs to an area called Undead Parish

I always encourage fresh starts as people are generally surprised how fast areas can be re-beaten. It's a game that feels huge on first playthrough, but becomes smaller and smaller as you increase your knowledge and skills with it.

Except if you're Jeff Green, but that's another thing.

Pyromancer it is. Just gotta finish my Demon Souls game then it begins.

Facism

DON'T do anything else!

ah shit if i knew i wouldn't have done anything. I had the same thing happen and carried on with the process.

sorry meights :(

That would be so cool! lol

dani_dc

So will Durante be by soon to fix the framerate unlocking issues, because it happens with every update.

To quote durante earlier in the thread:

Most likely nwks could do it again, the question is how much effort it is and whether he is (a) still around and (b) willing to do it.

Unlike all other features of DSfix I implemented, which are based on API interception and therefore relatively stable across updates (unless the rendering behavior changes drastically), the FPS unlocking is based on binary patching of the program code, which breaks with pretty much every minor change causing a recompile of the game's executable.

Well I guess I missed this post:

Gbraga

Any tips for hiding the mouse cursor when playing with a controller?

There's a free software that hides your cursor, I used it for Dark Souls II (didn't remember the first game having the same issue), I don't remember the exact name now, but IIRC it's AutoHideMouseCursor. I'll check at home the exact name, in case that's not it.

EDIT:

disable it in dsfix :D

disableCursor 1

That's even better

Top Bottom