• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScarJo takes lead role in GHOST IN THE SHELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7494305/scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell-movie

Scarlett Johansson, who demonstrated that women make awesome, bankable action stars with last year's Lucy, has signed up for DreamWorks' adaptation of the anime Ghost in the Shell, according to Variety. Rupert Sanders, best known for Snow White and the Huntsman, will direct a script by Bill Wheeler.

The 1995 animated film Ghost in the Shell is itself an adaptation of the manga of the same name. Directed by Mamoru Oshii, the film follows Motoko Kusanaigi and her security agency squad members on their search for a malicious hacker named the Puppet Master. That's really just the introduction, as the film blooms into a masterpiece about technology, sex, and paranoia.

"DreamWorks principal Steven Spielberg is a huge fan of the original," says the report on Variety, "and has long wanted to get this film off the ground." Hollywood has a pathetic history of making action films with female leads, but it's also known to emulate recent successes. With Johansson's financial and creative hits Lucy and Under the Skin receiving acclaim — not to mention her role in Marvel blockbusters like The Avengers and Captain America: Winter Soldier — her talent and celebrity could be what's necessary to finally get the film made.

Here's hoping a live-action film can capture the astonishing beauty of the original's animation.

There was a thread about it being offered to her, but now she's accepts, so yay, new thread.

I don't see her as the character, but she is popular, so if she can bring some kind of success to the movie, it will be a start.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I was on record as being against a whitewashed version of it but actually.... I can totally see Johanssen in the role. :p

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
She actually seems pretty perfect for it. I'm not optimistic about the film overall, but she's their best shot for it as far as western actresses go.

DarkKyo

I assume it won't take place in Japan and Section 9 will be an American organization? I don't mind Scarlet I suppose, but adaptations like this can turn out pretty awkward/forced. Hope it turns out good, though!

anaron

Well as long as she's not playing someone named Motoko, I'm ok with it.

After seeing under the skin, she's kinda perfect for the role

Wiktor

Well..she was the only choice really. Nobody else with this much star power. Hopefully it will turn out as good as Edge of Tomorrow did.

So do we know what this will be rated and if it'll have the nudity and such?

I mean, I can live without it... But I'm just curious to see how tame they want to be compared to the original.

Viewt

That's really solid casting. She's got the physical chops, and she's done some great acting in the last couple years with Her and Under the Skin.

Well as long as she's not playing someone named Motoko, I'm ok with it.

After seeing under the skin, she's kinda perfect for the role

Why can't she be someone named Motoko?

Oh, they're looking at the source material seriously. It's a "serious" opportunity for a cash-grab.

I have barely any more faith in this than in Terminator Genesys.

The casting is already leagues better than Terminator. Matt Smith, Dragon Girl and Desperate Arnie all look really bad.

You know it must be hard as hell to get a lead role in Hollywood if you're Asian when roles that are made for you end up going to white people. Akira's rumored to be all white as well.

pants

Dull actress for a dull character. Perfect.
She was very good at playing an emotionless, asexual robot in Lucy so she should be perfect for the role.

1SpcZCY.gif

Shouta

They can probably write it so she works but it would've been a great chance to show off a good Asian actress. =(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
First things first, Motoko should be Asian. This is a travesty and it makes me want to barf almost as much as the infamously canned version of Akira set in America.

With that said, I'm morbidly interested in this. Just for the lulz.

Dull actress, dull character, dull story.
Bullshit of the highest order, specially if you go with the original manga or the first movie.

Oh go burn in hell Hollywood! You guys are just jealous you can't make anything half as intelligent as GITS any-more so you steal from other countries. Get a East-Asian actress who looks the part and/or make it a proper American spin-off where ScarJo plays a new character and old colleague of Motoko's. You can reference the Japan Section 9 team while creating an original story within the GITS universe!

And keep the SAC theme song!! I want the movie to start with AERIA GLORIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom