• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScarJo takes lead role in GHOST IN THE SHELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
f2nBsng.gif

Abounder

Banned
As an Asian it sucks to see these roles get whitewashed but it's hard to deny the business - Scarjo sold Lucy after all, and these are all just fictional characters anyway

Well, she was in the best sci-fi movie of this year (Under the Skin) and the worst (Lucy). I'll watch anything she's in, but her involvement has no impact on my belief as to whether or not this will be any good.

It's going to be weird if this doesn't take place in Japan but I'm hopefully that Dreamworks won't mess it up.

The original film/anime is is one of my all time favorites and there's so many angles they could take with the sci-fi themes in the series.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Don't really care about the whitewashing, it's hollywood, but scarlett Johanssen? I wish they would have gotten someone with more an edge.

Roonie Mara
noomi Rapace

Would have been better imo.

RangerX

Banned
I still can't get past those Israeli settler comments she made. That whole ordeal really tainted my view of her. Its a shame cause I'm a huge Marvel guy. I'll have to rewatch Ghost, its been years since I've seen it.

Don't really care about the whitewashing, it's hollywood, but scarlett Johanssen? I wish they would have gotten someone with more an edge.

Roonie Mara
noomi Rapace

Would have been better imo.

She is actually perfect for this role. She is even better than JLaw since the Major is an older woman.

Only positive contribution of Lec Besson's Lucy to the world now that I think about it.

Kinyou

It's going to be weird if this doesn't take place in Japan but I'm hopefully that Dreamworks won't mess it up.

The original film/anime is is one of my all time favorites and there's so many angles they could take with the sci-fi themes in the series.
Not setting it in Japan would be IMO the most sensible choice if they go with a Caucasian lead. Just adapt the whole thing to america. Similar to something like the departed or the Japanese unforgiven remake.

Shouta

As much as I dislike whitewashing, I don't think the (main) characters in GITS ever looked particularly Asian.

That's actually how you could write ScarJo into the role. In the series, people use Cyber-bodies, modeled after whoever or whatever they like. So there isn't a reason why she can't be Motoko Kusanagi. She could just have a Caucasian cyber body in the film.

It's still a shame that they didn't bother casting an Asian actress for this because it'll likely be in Japan but still, it's still possible in universe for ScarJo to be the character.

Wiktor

Unfortunate casting; the lead should have been Asian e.
Yeah..but then the movie would have like 30 mln budget. You think GITS would work on a budget like that? I doubt it.
People love to ask for more inclusivity, but it's just noble, yet completely useless impulse when one ignores the reality in movie industry.

This is risky movie. They picked ScarJo not because she's white, but because she's one of the very very few true female stars. Bassicaly they could pick from ScarJo, Lawrence and maybe Kristin Stewart. Done. We've recently seen Denze and WIll Smith casted in roles that were white before. But no producer cared about that because they are stars. That's why they were picked.

What it ll boils to is that expecting producers to pick unknown unpopular actress to anchor a risky big budgeted movie is just plain unrealitic. You want more variety it needs to start at the bottom. Make room for those actors and actresses on TV and in lower budget movies. Because to become a lead in a movie without built in huge audience you need to be a star and just because somebody was born black or asian won't suddenly make this any less true.

Actually why must Motoko be in the lead? Have ScarJo be a new recruit in Section 9 and through her we get introduced to the rest of the team? That is if you set it in Japan, or have S9 visit america and Scar's character acts as the American equivalent to Motoko (played by Rinko Kikuchi) who butt heads due to idealogical differences....

Or make it a complete American remake... no Japan, no Japanese names, no references... just BASED ON GITS at the beginning of the film...

This movie needed to be handled a by a big name director who the producer's would listen to and not something at the mercy of a SUPER STAR playing the lead

Is Kelly Hu too busy or something? Casting aside, which didn't even bother me that much they're supposedly getting the director of Snow White and the Huntsmen to do this, doesn't sound like he's good for this.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
She is actually perfect for this role. She is even better than JLaw since the Major is an older woman.

Only positive contribution of Lec Besson's Lucy to the world now that I think about it.

Scarlett has a very bubbly face, didn't like her for black widow either. it's like when they picked Charlize Theron for Aeon Flux instead of Famke or someone with a similar bone structure.

tbm24

so who the fuck are the targeted audience for this film?? I know it's not anime fans at this point.

I've always been under the impression whenever any movie based on an anime/or manga is rumored over here, that the target audience is never the actual fans of the material.

Not setting it in Japan would be IMO the most sensible choice if they go with a Caucasian lead. Just adapt the whole thing to america. Similar to something like the departed or the Japanese unforgiven remake.

It would work but a lot of the international intrigue stuff would make a lot less sense. They could always cut all of that out and just focus on domestic terrorism though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Only seen the movies and TV shows and a small amount of the manga but the entire premise is ancient as fuck. Deus Ex Machina is Jr. High level philosophy. Basically if the original source material were adapted 1:1 for 2015 or beyond it would be Hackers level of bad.
Why do people say shit like this? is it just to appear intellectually-superior or something? GitS is genuinely good science-fiction.

Zombine

Banned
Also expecting the inevitable sanitized PG-13 treatment.

This is one of the few things that bums me out. I don't want vanishing bullets and guys that fall down dead. I want nudity and gore and some gnarly broken bones. I know Scarlett can play the role, but Hollyweird is going to ruin this with shitty CGI and unrealistic expectations at the box office.

Shouta

Actually why must Motoko be in the lead? Have ScarJo be a new recruit in Section 9 and through her we get introduced to the rest of the team? That is if you set it in Japan, or have S9 visit america and Scar's character acts as the American equivalent to Motoko (played by Rinko Kikuchi) who butt heads due to idealogical differences....

This movie needed to be handled a by a big name director who the producer's would listen to and not something at the mercy of a SUPER STAR playing the lead

Or have the major visit America and have her use a different body to go in undercover properly. As long as the Major is someone else, that'd be OK.

Wiktor

so who the fuck are the targeted audience for this film?? I know it's not anime fans at this point.

Of course not. Anime is terribly niche, nobody will base target audience on it's fans. The audience for this is sf fans, ScarJo fans an people who just love expensive CG extravangazas.

Scarlett has a very bubbly face, didn't like her for black widow either. it's like when they picked Charlize Theron for Aeon Flux instead of Famke or someone with a similar bone structure.

Why do you think certain actress has a wrong face. The original is just fucking black and white drawing of unrealistic proportion! Masamune Shirow couldn't draw a bubbly face if he wanted to!!

Abounder

Banned
Which was just Akira in some ways.

Now that I think about it...yes it was. Although it would be somewhat ironic if Lucy had more Asian actors than this anime adaptation. I'll still watch Ghost in the Shell though.

I still can't get past those Israeli settler comments she made. That whole ordeal really tainted my view of her. Its a shame cause I'm a huge Marvel guy. I'll have to rewatch Ghost, its been years since I've seen it.

Uh...Marvel is run by Israeli army veterans with war experience (specifically Marvel's CEO Isaac Perlmutter), and Hollywood in general is pro-Israel. But that's another topic.

Wiktor

Only seen the movies and TV shows and a small amount of the manga but the entire premise is ancient as fuck. Deus Ex Machina is Jr. High level philosophy. Basically if the original source material were adapted 1:1 for 2015 or beyond it would be Hackers level of bad.
TV shows are propably more relevant today than they were when they were made. The whole Laughing Man plot only got more and more propable since then.

I couldn't see them using the manga at all if they're targeting the US.
I can see them looking at Stand Alone Complex for inspiration, at least for designs and visuals. But I expect there's a very high chance of them just taking the basic idea/composition of Section 9 and building their own plot and setting around it.

tbm24

Yeah..but then the movie would have like 30 mln budget. You think GITS would work on a budget like that? I doubt it.
People love to ask for more inclusivity, but it's just noble, yet completely useless impulse when one ignores the reality in movie industry.

This is risky movie. They picked ScarJo not because she's white, but because she's one of the very very few true female stars. Bassicaly they could pick from ScarJo, Lawrence and maybe Kristin Stewart. Done. We've recently seen Denze and WIll Smith casted in roles that were white before. But no producer cared about that because they are stars. That's why they were picked.

What it ll boils to is that expecting producers to pick unknown unpopular actress to anchor a risky big budgeted movie is just plain unrealitic. You want more variety it needs to start at the bottom. Make room for those actors and actresses on TV and in lower budget movies. Because to become a lead in a movie without built in huge audience you need to be a star and just because somebody was born black or asian won't suddenly make this any less true.

If an adaptation will simply not be funded unless whitewashed, I'd rather they not even bother and do something original instead, Or at least vaguely inspired.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Making the rounds on Twitter, and I agree.

She wasn't particularly great in PacRim. And I don't think her physique is imposing enough for Major. Maybe for pre-Section 9 Major like in Arise.

I'm more worried that they're going to totally butcher the original movie, assuming that's what they're adapting.

Laughing Man arc from the show might be a better choice.

Kinyou

Making the rounds on Twitter, and I agree.

iklb.jpg
Isn't her English rather limited? I don't recall her having many lines in pacific rim.

It would work but a lot of the international intrigue stuff would make a lot less sense. They could always cut all of that out and just focus on domestic terrorism though.
True, the story would have to be adjusted in some significant ways, but that way the live action version might also get a bit more of an own identity and wouldn't just be a copy of the anime

Uzzy

I'll be waiting for trailers and stuff before making any judgements on the merits of the film, but if it's bad then we've still got the originals at least. Nothing could take away all my copies of the movies/series.

Or have the major visit America and have her use a different body to go in undercover properly. As long as the Major is someone else, that'd be OK.

Sure, why not. Save that for an epic twist, Motoko or Marcie gets blown up and then we see her again, picking up her partially burned head and she just smirks, "You never get used to it."

Jex

That's not the casting I would be looking for, but it isn't terrible.

Regardless, I don't imagine this will ever get made and even if it somehow does get made it probably won't be great anyway.

I can see them looking at Stand Alone Complex for inspiration, at least for designs and visuals. But I expect there's a very high chance of them just taking the basic idea/composition of Section 9 and building their own plot and setting around it.
I could see them adapting and expanding on a story from Stand Alone Complex if the people behind it weren't creatively bankrupt. (Not that I think all that highly of the writing in Stand Alone Complex.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom