• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScarJo takes lead role in GHOST IN THE SHELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why can't she be someone named Motoko
Maybe if they go full on Cloud Atlas "The West and Asia has merged" or she was raised by Japanese parents or it's a Japanese codenane or something.

Otherwise I'd say they'll anglicize her name.

javac

The movie itself is amazing, but what makes it something more is the art and the phenomenal music by Kenji Kawai (The opening scene is breathtaking) and the awesome monologue scenes that Oshii is known for. Take that away and I don't think it's the same thing at all, but we'll see. Same goes for Akira. Anime/Manga adaptations do have a place, allowing other people to become entranced by these wonderful tales full of interesting characters and vibrant worlds but when somethings main hook is its art you're kind of missing the point. We will see how it goes I guess.

They can probably write it so she works but it would've been a great chance to show off a good Asian actress. =(

Well as long as she's not playing someone named Motoko, I'm ok with it.

After seeing under the skin, she's kinda perfect for the role

As much as I dislike whitewashing, I don't think the (main) characters in GITS ever looked particularly Asian.

First things first, Motoko should be Asian. This is a travesty and it makes me want to barf almost as much as the infamously canned version of Akira set in America.

With that said, I'm morbidly interested in this. Just for the lulz.

Bullshit of the highest order, specially if you go with the original manga or the first movie.

If people are ready for a black James Bond, why couldn't Motoko be Caucasian?

You know what, as revenge I'll become a Bollywood film-maker and create lame Indian versions of beloved American works... see how you like it!

If people are ready for a black James Bond, why couldn't Motoko be Caucasian?

Because non-white actors don't get their due's. I would rather have say Lupita Nyongo play Motoko.
Also James is a typically Christian name and does not have as big ethnic connotations as Motoko

GhaleonEB

Unfortunate casting; the lead should have been Asian (Motoko, played by ScarJo...). She may do well but unless they overhaul the setting (ug) it just doesn't work. Also expecting the inevitable sanitized PG-13 treatment.

I love the original film dearly, but I don't see much to be optimistic about here.

V_Arnold

Trend-wise, whitewashing is bad.

That said, Cloud Atlas was amazing.
This can still turn out to be well. The originals will not be hurt in the process. They already stood the test of time. GITS1 is a masterpiece.

daveo42

Banned
I'd watch her in a GitS movie, but right now this movie sounds like it'll be bad. Not Akira bad, but pretty bad. At least this can fall back on political intrigue and privacy/hacking plots.

commedieu

Banned
She can work, but I really would have preferred an Asian actress.

Do asians make up a good % of demographics when it comes to film. The asian community gets shit roles every time in Hollywood. If its not racist, its just stereotypical. Where as the latino community is getting movies made for them (Paranormal Activity: Marked ones) the asian community is still stuck with. 1. Super smart. 2. Kung Fu. 3. White mans trophy. and I've noticed 4. effeminate chubby starting to poke its head up. Is it just a demographic thing? The asian community isn't watching films as much as others, or, what is the deal? Do you think?

As stereotypes in films have sort of watered down for most groups, Asians are still looking at the same variety of characters from the 1950's in todays large pictures/tv.

>:)

M0II9gl.png

Gonna need a damn good trailer first

BobLoblaw

Banned
Scarlett Johansson, who demonstrated that women make awesome, bankable action stars with last year's Lucy...
Such a terrible, horrible, piece of shit movie. If her performance in this is anything like that movie, then god help us all.

Rur0ni

Oh, they're looking at the source material seriously. It's a "serious" opportunity for a cash-grab.

I have barely any more faith in this than in Terminator Genesys.
:'(

don't we always say this... every single time..?

Then we get World War Z'd.
:'( :'(

You're probably right.

Which one of them though? The manga, the movies and the anime series have significant differences, especially when it comes to the portrayal of the major. She's a lot "wackier" in the manga.
I figured this was an adaption of the original movie based on the OP. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Either way.. blah. I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Unfortunate casting; the lead should have been Asian (Motoko, played by ScarJo...). She may do well but unless they overhaul the setting (ug) it just doesn't work. Also expecting the inevitable sanitized PG-13 treatment.

I love the original film dearly, but I don't see much to be optimistic about here.

That's a much bigger problem than the casting imho.

harSon

Banned
Typical Hollywood whitewashing bullshit aside, I guess she fits since she has the personality and enthusiasm of a carcass.

Bullshit of the highest order, specially if you go with the original manga or the first movie.

Only seen the movies and TV shows and a small amount of the manga but the entire premise is ancient as fuck. Deus Ex Machina is Jr. High level philosophy. Basically if the original source material were adapted 1:1 for 2015 or beyond it would be Hackers level of bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom