• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teens react to The Last of Us

oti

Banned
TLoU is amazing y'all. Take Super Mario Galaxy 2 (best game of all time) as well and you've got yourself the best two games of the generation.

I enjoyed the video. I usually don't like these reaction videos but this was nice.

Nohar

There is too much vitriol in this thread. Chill people.

As for the intro of the game, I already saw it a while back, but my reaction at the end was the same:
I cried
First game I buy when I get a PS4.

Regarding the React channel, I'm not that fond of the Teens, I prefer the Kids and Elders, who are able to give a more interesting perspective on the things they are reacting to. However, I understand the appeal, and while I get that some people don't like these videos, I don't understand why they are so acerbic about it. Come on guys. You can share your opinion without using hyperboles, sarcasms and bashing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought the point of these things were to show people stuff from before (or in the case of old people react after) their time. Teens reacting to a game released in the last few years which they could have bought as a teen themselves seems a bit of an odd choice.

I just do not understand the stuff people cry at (or pretend to). The introductory TLoU cutscene shown was about the same lacklustre standard of direction and writing these games always come up with, riddled with clichés, obnoxiously unsubtle design choices to force players in a certain direction, appallingly bad use of the camera (in the non-player controlled segments) and 'big' moments dependent entirely on flash rather than substance to elicit a reaction. Only thing that's improved is the graphics - terrible shadows aside - and the voice acting, which was pretty good considering what the actors had to work with. I'm sure the actual game is as groundbreaking and magnificent as everyone claims it to be - haven't played it, obviously - but it's inconceivable how anyone could hold up that introduction for anything other than its failure to master even the most rudimentary building blocks of storytelling.

What the fuck am I reading? Is this some sort of hipster/troll hybrid?

I especially like the part where you say that it's "inconceivable" (nice trademark GAF hyperbole there, I like it) that anyone could view the intro as anything other than how you view it...immediately after saying you haven't played it yourself.

7/10. Would read again if nothing else was available.

Ishan

It's so fake. You have to be alone playing this game or at the very minimum left to play it, instead of giving your opinion to a camera knowing your being filmed.

rubbish. I saw my friend play this and i still feel this is one of the most impactful games ever. I think gaf is too elitist/particular on some of these things. And this person (girl ironically) didnt really love any games since mario on the snes since plants and zombies. And she loved tlou. The impact this game has on the general populace not the gaming community can't be understated.

Ishan

I just do not understand the stuff people cry at (or pretend to). The introductory TLoU cutscene shown was about the same lacklustre standard of direction and writing these games always come up with, riddled with clichés, obnoxiously unsubtle design choices to force players in a certain direction, appallingly bad use of the camera (in the non-player controlled segments) and 'big' moments dependent entirely on flash rather than substance to elicit a reaction. Only thing that's improved is the graphics - terrible shadows aside - and the voice acting, which was pretty good considering what the actors had to work with. I'm sure the actual game is as groundbreaking and magnificent as everyone claims it to be - haven't played it, obviously - but it's inconceivable how anyone could hold up that introduction for anything other than its failure to master even the most rudimentary building blocks of storytelling.

as opposed to what do you believe is ground breaking writing? Most writing deals is things humanity already knows and yes tlou is cliche and so is most of other writing the devil is in the detail and execution. But I would definitely like to know what you consider the pinnacle of writing. (For the record I didnt cry at any point of tlou but it did leave a deep impact on me).

Percy

Banned
Tlous threads really bring the salt jeez

Indeed, some of the reactions that any mention of Last of Us in a thread title (Or any ND game it seems) on Neogaf provokes from certain members can only really be described as 'disproportionately hostile' imo.

I can understand not liking a game, but when in any thread with the game's name in it's title you're pretty much guaranteed at least one near-essay length post on why the game is everything wrong with gaming/why if you like the game you aren't a "real gamer" (Have seriously seen both of these things suggested multiple times on here), then it's probably fair to say that some people's emotional investment in disliking the game has gotten slightly out of hand.

UrbanRats

Indeed, some of the reactions that any mention of Last of Us in a thread title (Or any ND game it seems) on Neogaf provokes from certain members can only really be described as 'disproportionately hostile' imo.
Naughty Dogs (or Naughty Gods as some like to call them) are probably the most beloved developer on GAF, along with Platinum and maybe CDProject Red.
I would even argue to a fault.

It's not so hard to imagine that perhaps, out of the 7 billions people on the planet, some of them may dislike, even vehemently, ND games.

CloudWolf

Naughty Dog can be very proud. They know they've made a masterpiece when you've got people who are playing it for the first time tearing up on camera.
So, every movie ever where a dog dies is considered a masterpiece?

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one that didn't care at all about that one scene, let alone tear up at the events portrayed. I knew that character for a total of 20 minutes, which isn't anywhere near enough time for me to care enough about her dying.

Ishan

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one that didn't tear up at that scene in the beginning. I knew that character for a total of 20 minutes, which isn't anywhere near enough time for me to care enough about her dying.

err I didnt tear up a single time but comparing it to a movie where a dog dies is silly at best and ingenuous at worst.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one that didn't care at all about that one scene, let alone tear up at the events portrayed. I knew that character for a total of 20 minutes, which isn't anywhere near enough time for me to care enough about her dying.

Are you a father? Or do you have any young children in your family who you are close to?

I mean, even if you don't, it's not hard to see why scenes like that are upsetting to so many people. I don't think you're necessarily supposed to care about the character, but the scene itself.
A man losing his daughter,
that's a sad thing. If that shit doesn't touch you, then you must be a cold hearted mofo. :p

bsod

Banned

Sharp emotions. Would not cry.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Was hoping they'd get around to this game eventually. I've already seen the intro a bunch, but it's still fun to watch others experience it for the first time. I wonder how far they're gonna actually let them play. The beginning of summer is much slower paced, so i'm not sure how interesting the reactions would be then.

I thought the point of these things were to show people stuff from before (or in the case of old people react after) their time. Teens reacting to a game released in the last few years which they could have bought as a teen themselves seems a bit of an odd choice.
That's only been the subject for some of their videos. They've always had reaction videos covering various other topics in the world, past and present.

Their Let's Play videos, like TLOU, are mainly done on their second channel on a weekly basis with the teens and elders.

Deft Beck

What is there to "react" to? This is nothing outside of their normal experience with popular media. If they have seen any modern survival story portrayed on film, television or otherwise, they would have seen similar elements.

In general, I dislike the teen videos where they are exposed to things that they have a good chance of having experience with already. It seems lazy.

SomTervo

this doesn't make any sense either. just because it evokes emotions doesn't mean it's a masterpiece (and some people cry at anything), it may be a masterpiece(arguable) for other reasons but making people cry is a pretty low bar to set.

... It's not easy to make people cry, you know. It requires more than a modicum of narrative craftsmanship. It's certainly not a low bar. I've only heard of two or three games in gaming history which have consistently made people cry.

Yes, some people cry at anything, but this game has a notoriously powerful prologue. A lot of critics noted a tear-jerking opening.

You're right that it's not a de facto sign of 'masterpiece' status, but it's a sign of something special. Eliciting emotions is one of art's key goals and is a sign that the narrative is working. Making us feel things that remind us we're human. TLoU deffo does that. And 'masterpiece' is usually relative - in relative to most other games released today? I think it's special. And yes, a masterpiece.

Maybe you weren't being as derisive as I felt you were, but I've replied to a sense that your tone is pretty derisory about TLoU's emotional impact.

UrbanRats

What is there to "react" to? This is nothing outside of their normal experience with popular media. If they have seen any modern survival story portrayed on film, television or otherwise, they would have seen similar elements.

In general, I dislike the teen videos where they are exposed to things that they have a good chance of having experience with already. It seems lazy.

Teen Reacts to: iPhone6.
"Wow, where are the buttons? And where do you put the change?"

bsod

Banned

Grumpy, emotionally-stinted gamer reacts to teens reacting to The Last of Us.

SomTervo

It does seem a lot more redundant than the elderly people one.

CloudWolf

Are you a father? Or do you have any young children in your family who you are close to?

Yeah, I love my little nephew and niece more than anything in the world and I would always protect them, but all that doesn't really matter to me when I'm playing a game, reading a book or watching a movie or television show.
Joel's daughter
isn't my little nephew or niece, she's a character in a game who has nothing in common with them despite the fact that both are young.

For me to care about a character I hardly know in any story they have to be in situations that hit close to home. For instance, I cried when in an episode of Six Feet Under an old man died of a brain anyeurism, because my grandpa just recovered from one.

EDIT: I even have experience with parents losing their kid (my aunt died of cancer a few years back, and both my grandparents are still alive) and it was one of the most heartbreaking scenes I've ever witnessed. But again, these are completely different circumstances.

Kinsei

Banned

I mean, even if you don't, it's not hard to see why scenes like that are upsetting to so many people. I don't think you're necessarily supposed to care about the character, but the scene itself. A man losing his daughter, that's a sad thing. If that shit doesn't touch you, then you must be a cold hearted mofo. :p

As someone else that didn't cry at that part, I think it has to do with the immediate
jump into summer. Had they actually spent more time with Joel just after Sarah had died, then maybe I would have felt something.

Yeah, I love my little nephew and niece more than anything in the world and I would always protect them, but all that doesn't really matter to me when I'm playing a game, reading a book or watching a movie or television show.
Joel's daughter
isn't my little nephew or niece, she's a character in a game who has nothing in common with them despite the fact that both are young.

For me to care about a character I hardly know in any story they have to be in situations that hit close to home. For instance, I cried when in an episode of Six Feet Under an old man died of a brain anyeurism, because my grandpa just recovered from one.

Like I said above in my edit, it's not necessarily about the character itself, it's about the scenario, you know?
A man losing his daughter
, that's what we're supposed to care about and relate to. That's what's supposed to draw an emotional reaction. Which is why she doesn't have a lot of screen-time. It's not necessary. ND are attempting to appeal to basic human emotions with that scene.

I mean, even if you don't, it's not hard to see why scenes like that are upsetting to so many people. I don't think you're necessarily supposed to care about the character, but the scene itself. A man losing his daughter, that's a sad thing. If that shit doesn't touch you, then you must be a cold hearted mofo. :p

But the is game basically a cartoon. And even as amazing as those graphics were at the time, humans still look really bad and not realistic in video games to me. I can't get emotional over CG.

But the is game basically a cartoon. And even as amazing as those graphics were at the time, humans still look really bad and not realistic in video games to me. I can't get emotional over CG.

Understandable, I guess. Even though I can't relate.

But have you watched Grave of The Fireflies? :p

SmokyDave

Or Watership Down. Or When The Wind Blows.

I guess some people can suspend disbelief and take a medium on its own terms, and some can't. Not that surprising. I'm yet to be scared by any horror films, but it doesn't surprise me that they can give others nightmares.

Percy

Banned
Naughty Dogs (or Naughty Gods as some like to call them) are probably the most beloved developer on GAF, along with Platinum and maybe CDProject Red.
I would even argue to a fault.

It's not so hard to imagine that perhaps, out of the 7 billions people on the planet, some of them may dislike, even vehemently, ND games.

People disliking the games isn't the part I have trouble understanding though, to be fair.

UrbanRats

As someone else that didn't cry at that part, I think it has to do with the immediate
jump into summer. Had they actually spent more time with Joel just after Sarah had died, then maybe I would have felt something.

I think it has more to do with the fact that you see it coming, you can see the whole purpose of that scene from the first minute, so the manipulation comes off as more obvious and transparent which, for some people, is enough to feel detachment.

I never cried for any piece of media though (came close with a couple of movies, but never actually teared up) so i guess i don't really qualify.
Still, i think that's the reason I didn't feel as engaged by the scene as other people, felt a bit like a snake's oil salesman was trying to sell me something an i wouldn't have it.
Other moments later in the game came off as more natural, and hit me harder, though.

Another movie that many consider to be a bit cheap in its manipulation.
I liked it well enough though.+

Indulging in easy manipulation can be a guilty pleasure, so i get it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

You might be overthinking the aim of these particular videos. It's just a fun little Let's Play, not a thorough analysis of unfamiliar cultural material.

CloudWolf

Like I said above in my edit, it's not necessarily about the character itself, it's about the scenario, you know?
A man losing his daughter
, that's what we're supposed to care about and relate to. That's what's supposed to draw an emotional reaction. Which is why she doesn't have a lot of screen-time. It's not necessary. ND are attempting to appeal to basic human emotions with that scene.
I editted my post accordingly haha. But yeah, I get what ND was doing and I get why people would cry at that scene. I personally didn't, because it didn't resonate with me. Something else that contributes to that is probably the fact that it's established that they're in an extremely hostile environment and that dying from a zombie/mutated human or a freaked-out survivor is completely within the realm of possibilities at that point.

lol wow, some fucking miserable people in this thread. Those teens seemed like nice kids who were having a good time and reacting earnestly to an emotional rollercoaster of an intro. No need to be so acerbic.

Thank you. I think some blatantly forget that we are all humans. People can have feels, damn. The intro makes me tear up every time..

Deft Beck

Grumpy, emotionally-stinted gamer reacts to teens reacting to The Last of Us.

There's no need to use labels just to disparage me. I just feel like this is a very easy piece of media to have a "reaction" to and that other videos in this series are better.

You might be overthinking the aim of these particular videos. It's just a fun little Let's Play, not a thorough analysis of unfamiliar cultural material.

I suppose you are right. I would appreciate the latter, though.

Vitten

Greatly enjoyed the game but all these scenes did nothing for me..
I've become much too hardened and cynical from seeing way too much real awful shit on the news and stuff happing in my life to get emotional over something fictional.

GrayDock

Was holding for some PSN+ in the future, but after reviewing that intro I had to buy TLoU again... Some PS4 TLoU goodness for me tonight :D

Actually I did get pretty emotional watching Grave of The Fireflies. I've even gotten somewhat emotional over a couple epidsodes of The Simpson. I think I can get into a deliberately less realistic style of animation more than a CGI style of animation for some reason. Maybe it's an uncanny valley thing that messes with me or something. Maybe I'm just weird.

I like hown they all are so used to games that play themself if you press forward that they all are surprised when you actually die.
"That´s not part of the story? Oh you can die!"

rubbish. I saw my friend play this and i still feel this is one of the most impactful games ever. I think gaf is too elitist/particular on some of these things. And this person (girl ironically) didnt really love any games since mario on the snes since plants and zombies. And she loved tlou. The impact this game has on the general populace not the gaming community can't be understated.

exactly...Its like some GAF members have some prejudice or general hate against this type of media.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

You have so many words to say for something you haven't experienced yourself. Did that make you feel good?

Top Bottom