• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronFall: treat your New self to a good third-person shooter!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
* offer extends to Circle Pad Pro owners.
QZeES82.gif

[ launch trailer ] [ technical feature reel ] [ developer interview ]

http://nintendoeverything.com/inter...-dev-on-new-3ds-campaign-multiplayer-and-more
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/ironfall_invasion
http://www.iron-fall.com

Basic requirements
  • a second analog stick, or
  • mastery of the stylus. Seasoned KI players need not smirk.
Extended requirements
  • broadband internet connection, or
  • a bunch* of fellow IF owners within ad-hoc distance (* as many as 6)
Released
  • EU eShop: 13 Feb 2015
  • NA eShop: 26 Feb 2015
Release features
  • a single campaign level, plus
  • a single multiplayer level
From there on, for ~10 euro you can get either the full campaign, or the full multiplayer level set. Or for ~20 euro you can get the entire bundle.

So who are VD-dev, the makers of this little TPS?

Three frenchmen stuck in videogames purgatory for the past couple of decades. Makers of a few no good titles, and basically, masochistic coders. They've also been partially responsible for one of the games that scarred me for life some 15 years ago, those bastards (Le Mans24@DC). Now I feel the urge to go out and hunt every soul who dare download VD-dev's latest 3DS title. This is carried out in a combination of the following ways:

• free-for-all
  • 2 teams of 3 players
  • 3 teams of 2 players

You can find me at:

blu: 0946-2426-9886

Your code comes next.

Can't wait to play this with the stylus. Wish it had voice chat, so I can hear all of the dual stick users complaining about how stylus users are 'cheating'. Like Call of Duty Wiimote on Wii U.

Oregano

I' on the fifth mission now, so far the campaign is alright. The boss fight with the big snake robot is pretty good.

Tried two games of multiplayer and its decent enough, heavy weapons seem a bit OP though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well let me know when the good third person shooter turns up!

I tried the free version of this yesterday, and... yeah, it's bad. It's like a Halo, Gears of War and Perfect Dark mutation that was developed by the people who made that infamous Jax ending from Mortal Kombat 4. The plot is uninteresting, the voice acting painful, the stage and enemy designs are so uninspired and, to be honest, if I had played this as my first New 3DS title I would never have trusted the C-Stick to be useful in any games whatsoever.

I'm not going to bother unlocking the full version.

CTLance

The tech reel looks pretty nifty. I like demoscene stuff, so this comes close.
Available Spring 2014, huh. *checks calendar* :D

Coding an engine in freaking assembly for a F2P game with a max return of 20 bucks per player seems quite insane - but I guess they could always reuse or sublicense that thing. Still, masochistic devs are masochistic.

blu

any n3ds enhancements? (other than c-stick)
mh4u has better textures on n3ds right?
No idea, I'm paying it on my OG 3ds, sans my misplaced CPP, so I had my ass handed to my a couple of times online : /

Can't wait to play this with the stylus. Wish it had voice chat, so I can hear all of the dual stick users complaining about how stylus users are 'cheating'. Like Call of Duty Wiimote on Wii U.
There are some quite useful sensitivity options, both for the right stick and the stylus. That said, game is heavily biased towards two sticks, so if you manage to show some stylus skills - all power to you!

The tech reel looks pretty nifty. I like demoscene stuff, so this comes close.
Available Spring 2014, huh. *checks calendar* :D

Coding an engine in freaking assembly for a F2P game with a max return of 20 bucks per player seems quite insane - but I guess they could always reuse or sublicense that thing. Still, masochistic devs are masochistic.
I'm really enjoying the campaign right now. Fun anecdote, I started my first playthrough on hard, and there's a moment in the campaign where the player character goes 'oh, shit' - I've died about ten times at that spot already.

Verendus

Banned
I came in here pretty intrigued until I saw it was a 3DS game. Stick is far too terrible for me to play something like this on there. Be ashamed.

wrowa

I'm extremely confused as to why the developers considered a free demo version to be a good idea. VD-dev are known for impressive tech and Ironfall certainly looks impressive for a 3DS game, but at the end of the day it still just feels like a tech demo. Once you've seen the game running, there's not really much of a reason to continue playing.

R.D.Blax

Look interesting, and it's done by my fellow french people ! Good thing Kid Icarus is one of my favorite game too. I'm going to check this

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps this will scratch the itch of that Conduit 3DS game we never got. Day one whenever it releases in NA.

blu

I came in here pretty intrigued until I saw it was a 3DS game. Stick is far too terrible for me to play something like this on there. Be ashamed.
Would you consider a wiiU version?

I'm extremely confused as to why the developers considered a free demo version to be a good idea. VD-dev are known for impressive tech and Ironfall certainly looks impressive for a 3DS game, but at the end of the day it still just feels like a tech demo. Once you've seen the game running, there's not really much of a reason to continue playing.
Try finishing the campaign demo level on hard. If it hooks you at least a little (as it did to me - I found the AI on that difficulty particularly fascinating), then I can guarantee you it only gets better past that. Also, online is really active ATM, I haven't waited more than a minute for full-room (6-player) matches.

Oregano

Well the first level isn't as impressive as the ones that follow! It is a bit of weird decision though...

BiggNife

I tried a demo of this at IndieCade yesterday - did I miss something, or is there no way to sprint? I tried every button and got nowhere, and as someone who has played a lot of Gears it was sorely missed.

Honestly, using the n3DS nub is okay but not great. I had to put it to the highest sensitivity setting before it felt usable.

Amazing visuals, though.

gogogow

I tried a demo of this at IndieCade yesterday - did I miss something, or is there no way to sprint? I tried every button and got nowhere, and as someone who has played a lot of Gears it was sorely missed.

Honestly, using the n3DS nub is okay but not great. I had to put it to the highest sensitivity setting before it felt usable.

Amazing visuals, though.

That get's explained in the game actually.....push the analog stick forward twice.

blu

Sprinting is at forward double-tap on the left stick.

Amazing visuals, though.
Game is technically as competent as it gets on the 3ds. It's up there with RE:R and SM3DL. It's not hard to see it was not made by a big studio, but I find it hard to believe it was actually made by three people.

BiggNife

That get's explained in the game actually.....push the analog stick forward twice.

Ah, okay. The section I played didn't have any tutorial - I think it was a save file from the full game rather than a demo, since it was being displayed at a show.

I think I'll get the Campaign.

It's more of a novelty to play a cover shotter on the 3DS, but what I've played was ok to good-ish.

...and it's just 10 bucks !

TDLink

So based on responses I'm gathering that the campaign is mediocre at best, but how's the multiplayer?

Oregano

You can also sprint using zL on the N3DS. It raises your heartrate though, making you more vulnerable; which is actually pretty novel.

EDIT:
So based on responses I'm gathering that the campaign is mediocre at best, but how's the multiplayer?

The campaign is decent, but from what I've played so far it's getting better as it goes and more enemies and weapons are introduced. The multiplayer is pretty fun but I've only played two matches. There's no lag that I noticed which is good.

BiggNife

Game is technically as competent as it gets on the 3ds. It's up there with RE:R and SM3DL. It's not hard to see it was not made by a big studio, but I find it hard to believe it was actually made by three people.
Not saying that VD-dev did a bad job, just that I think that the right nub just does not work that well for FPSes and TPSes. It's fine for games like Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter, but for a game like this or Moon Chronicles where you have to be moving the camera pretty much all the time, it just does not feel great.

LordOfChaos

Unlimited dynamic lights? How is that possible, unless they just mean the engine can theoretically scale to infinity, but the 3DS itself might be rendering at a frame a year after just a bunch.

100% assembly language? Jaysus.

blu

Unlimited dynamic lights? How is that possible, unless they just mean the engine can theoretically scale to infinity, but the 3DS itself might be rendering at a frame a year after just a bunch.
By 'unlimited dynamic lights' they likely mean no artificial limitation on the number of light sources per surface - something which forward renderers normally have to put a cap on if done in a single pass. I guess they have a very efficient multi-pass renderer. Of course that does not mean it scales indefinitely without performance degradation.

100% assembly language? Jaysus.
VD-dev are like that.

Compsiox

Banned
This is the first 3DS game that really make me want it. Like every other game I bought were just for the lolz. I really want this.

Just played the demo and I can't really justify a purchase after that. The controls are clunky, getting in and out of cover, as well as starting/stopping a sprint in heated situations takes too long and in some areas you get stuck to the environment too easily. Also, putting waist-high obstacles in your way that you CAN'T use as cover is just... bad design?
Add to that a seemingly forgettable story, bland and generic art direction and grating voice acting and you've got yourself a game that serves its function as a tech demo, but nothing more.

Too bad, since I really wanted to like it. Always nice seeing developers trying to push the hardware.

Oh and just so we're clear: I do not blame the C-Stick for the bad controls – I think it works great in MH4U for example. It's just (and some people are going to grill me for that) that shooters with twin-stick controls often have some kind of aim assist for a reason. Might very well be better with the stylus, but I really don't want to zoom / reload with touch buttons or the dpad.

Oregano

Where's my US release guys! I mostly want to try the demo, but if it's good enough... maybe I'll finally buy a Circle Pad Pro.

They're trying to release it this month in the US, probably the 26th. They said they only made it on the 13th in Europe because Nintendo helped a lot.

Moff

this is definitely the most generic shooter I have seen in my life, wow, no way I will buy it

but the demo is actually great to familiarize yourself with the c-stick

blu

A three is way harsh, especially considering the multiplayer is only given a single sentence appraisal. I think the multiplayer is alright, but a little unbalanced.
And the single player is quite engaging on hard difficulty. Article totally lost me with the 'lack of good story and artistic blandness' - it's a darn shooter! You judge a shooter by how well it plays as a shooter. UT2 was not an epitome of originality story- or art-wise over UT, neither UT3 was over UT2, etc, etc. Neither of those games were a 3/10, tough, and IF is not a 3/10 game either. Its story is cheesy to the point that I cannot imagine how the author of the article could claim it was unintentionally so.

As per the lack of precision in the shooting. No. Just plain and factual no. I have no idea what the article's author played, or what substances he used while playing, but IF's shooting mechanics is anything but imprecise. Neither online nor in the single-player.

Mit-

Does anyone have any comparisons with how this controls compared to Metroid Prime Hunters?

I thought that game controlled great with a stylus. I wish I could play PC FPS games with an actual high quality stylus/tablet. Unfortunately most require the use of too many extra buttons for this to be feasible.

However this is a third person shooter so I'm not* sure that it would work as well.

Oregano

And the single player is quite engaging on hard difficulty. Article totally lost me with the 'lack of good story and artistic blandness' - it's a darn shooter! You judge a shooter by how well it plays as a shooter. UT2 was not an epitome of originality story- or art-wise over UT, neither UT3 was over UT2, etc, etc. Neither of those games were a 3/10, tough, and IF is not a 3/10 game either. Its story is cheesy to the point that I cannot imagine how the author of the article could claim it was unintentionally so.

As per the lack of precision in the shooting. No. Just plain and factual no. I have no idea what the article's author played, or what substances he used while playing, but IF's shooting mechanics is anything but imprecise. Neither online nor in the single-player.

The aiming can be a bit slippy at first withnthe c stick but I got used to it. On that note the Eurogamer review pretty much sums up that opinion:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-17-ironfall-invasion-review?page=comments

The game is kind of the epitome of "Yeah, it's alright." I don't regret buying it but I would only recommend it to people who want a third person shooter for the 3DS.

Given that there is nothing like this on the 3DS, I'll probably buy it for support of projects like this.

Hoping it comes out soon in the US, but does this compare to Shadowgun on phones/tablets? to me, that was a generic shooter, but it was still fun to play.

LAA

Perhaps this will scratch the itch of that Conduit 3DS game we never got. Day one whenever it releases in NA.

OMG I totally forgot about Conduit 3DS!
What did happen to it?
Enjoyed the Wii games quite a bit with all the unique weapons and the all seeing eye. Even liked story somewhat. Would definitely be up for a conduit on 3DS.

Ironfall judging from the demo, isn't a good third person shooter for me. It seemed like the graphics would be the selling point, and while perhaps they are better than most on 3DS...doesn't compare to RE:R and I found the game very generic and trying to imitate gears of war but not to the same degree.

Oregano

OMG I totally forgot about Conduit 3DS!
What did happen to it?
Enjoyed the Wii games quite a bit with all the unique weapons and the all seeing eye. Even liked story somewhat. Would definitely be up for a conduit on 3DS.

Ironfall judging from the demo, isn't a good third person shooter for me. It seemed like the graphics would be the selling point, and while perhaps they are better than most on 3DS...doesn't compare to RE:R and I found the game very generic and trying to imitate gears of war but not to the same degree.

They ended up putting The Conduit on Nvidia Shield/Android. I doubt High Voltage will be making a new one any time soon, that's if they exist for much longer.

LAA

They ended up putting The Conduit on Nvidia Shield/Android. I doubt High Voltage will be making a new one any time soon, that's if they exist for much longer.

Oh wow never heard of that happening. Shame Sega moved it from Nintendo. Think it had the capacity to grow on Nintendo consoles.

Exile20

Oh wow never heard of that happening. Shame Sega moved it from Nintendo. Think it had the capacity to grow on Nintendo consoles.

I think The conduit could have been something special on the Wii U. The art was boring but it was fun let down by the hardware.

Does anyone have any comparisons with how this controls compared to Metroid Prime Hunters?

I thought that game controlled great with a stylus. I wish I could play PC FPS games with an actual high quality stylus/tablet. Unfortunately most require the use of too many extra buttons for this to be feasible.

However this is a third person shooter so I'm sure that it would work as well.
Holy cow, someone else with that opinion? I dont believe it.
Yeah, I'd totally get a bamboo tablet if it meant MP Hunters controls.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

And the game is Terrible on the Shield Portable. The controls are extremely bad, with huge dead zones that you can't adjust.

blu

After a week of searching out the house I've come to the realization that I've terminally misplaced my CPP. So another CPP was ordered today, just for IF.

Top Bottom