• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Sony is Under Major Pressure to Cut the Price of the Vita or Risk a Major Failure”

Mrbob

chubigans said:
I can either buy a $60 Gears of War game this holiday or 60 $1 iPhone apps plus unlimited free iOS games. And instead of buying the $250 Vita, I can buy an additional 250 iOS games.

I just bought 7 iOS games with my Taco Bell money I had set aside. Not even their Double Beef Chalupa can give you that kind of value.

Funny thing is it sounds like Sony is going to end up pushing an app store similar to itunes for Vita...so you can buy cheap games and more expensive games. This will probably seen as a negative too because the only way you can sell a 99 cent game is on itunes!

chubigans said:
I can either buy a $60 Gears of War game this holiday or 60 $1 iPhone apps plus unlimited free iOS games. And instead of buying the $250 Vita, I can buy an additional 250 iOS games.

I just bought 7 iOS games with my Taco Bell money I had set aside. Not even their Double Beef Chalupa can give you that kind of value.
Quality>quantity

You're pissing money away on videogames either way.

I should be doing hw said:
People are such sheep, nothing has changed since the Vita announcement. Except now you can get an overpriced, underpowered handheld with no games for less. I really don't understand all this doom and gloom bs, it's reactionary and childish.

I'm with this guy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
$250 was unrealistic but now we need a price cut, huh? Nonsense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DMPrince said:
is Angry bird coming to Vita? if so then the price will be fine if people bought iphones and ipads for it.

You must be trolling, have to be. I can't imagine someone this crazy to think Angry Bird is going to sell the PSP2 because it sold well on iPhones.

antonz

Sonys bigger issue is the PSP while not the most remakable thing ever was a money maker for them. Hence why breaking even was so important for Vita. Sony does not want to lose money anymore in the video game industry and has said as much.

So yes they really are under an immense level of pressure.

People are such sheep, nothing has changed since the Vita announcement. Except now you can get an overpriced, underpowered handheld with no games for less. I really don't understand all this doom and gloom bs, it's reactionary and childish.
Escept Nintendo is losing money on every 3DS sold now so clearly its not overpriced. Why dont you try being neutral when making comments instead of looking like a sheep yourself

I suppose your assessment of the 3ds is measured and mature.

PSP got no issues selling at the price and dropping down according, it certainly did better than the 3DS at that price. Its was having a constant support and games in the West that was it's weakness.

Bleeding even more money for Sony isn't going to help things when the PSP is a profitable line for them.

elohel

should be 199, and 249 for 3g

but 250 is okay, relative to sony lol

wasnt the first psp 250? or was it 399? either way I didnt buy it till it was like 160 or w/e

Again, as far as I can tell the article referenced in the OP is mostly addressing the Japanese price, which is closer to $320 than it is to $250..

$249 is the right price for the Vita at this (or early 2012) time. It is a good value full stop.

If anything needs to get cut, it is the price of software. Other than variable pricing, the maximum price for portable games shouldn't be $40. I worry that Vita games might go higher than that.

hatchx

Banned
It's basically a PS3 in a handheld, so yeah, 250 seems reasonable. Not sure if consumers will see it that way....

I'd like to see what exclusives are offered at launch.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sony should keep the price. They cannot compete on price wars, since their device is more high end. They should try to get more devs, especially western ones, to develop on the system, especially by supporting smaller games, and also introduce a playstation app market.

VariantX

im pretty sure the original psp had to be $250-$300 at launch and i thought they sold pretty well at the beginning.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gravijah said:
they announced earlier that it wouldn't hit Europe/USA until after christmas.
Holy shit really? They're missing out on the 2011 holiday season right after the 3DS has had a price cut. Christ on a cracker

VanWinkle

elohel said:
should be 199, and 249 for 3g

but 250 is okay, relative to sony lol

wasnt the first psp 250? or was it 399? either way I didnt buy it till it was like 160 or w/e

Are you kidding? How could $250 for what you're getting be the wrong price in any way? It's worth it for the 5" OLED screen alone.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
PSP got no issues selling at the price and dropping down according, it certainly did better than the 3DS at that price. Its was having a constant support and games in the West that was it's weakness.

The PSP launched for around $200 in Japan. It was only $250 in the US and PAL regions.

elrechazao said:
Seriously though, no way the drop beforehand. They get all of the early adopter sales, then drop.

It is not unheard of. Sony dropped the price of the PS3 after E3 and before launch in Japan.

see5harp

As long as they have a solid and consistent lineup of games throughout year one, the Vita will be fine. If they can get third party support for stuff like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Go, I can see it being a moderate success. A handheld is never going to replace my phone as my primary mobile device but I'm still optimistic.

Kagari said:
Not really worried. The Japanese support will be there and that's all I care about.
Same here.

And Japanese launch this year must mean an awesome TGS full of Japanese support, which wets my whistle

Special J

Banned
LOL i remember at E3 people were touting on horns that some how $250 price tag for vita was some how amazing. neogaf lol.

but ya this kinda reminds me of how the ps3 played out. third party especially activision put alot of pressure on sony that they needed to drop the price of the console.

Somnid

The amount of FUD surrounding this industry is getting ridiculous. Next person to say smart phones are our future is getting bitch slapped.

x3sphere

The Vita seems like an insane value at $250 to me. I don't even care if it flops game wise, the hardware is awesome. I can use it as a portable movie player. What other piece of tech has a 5" OLED at a lower price?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Special J said:
LOL i remember at E3 people were touting on horns that some how $250 price tag for vita was some how amazing. neogaf lol.

It's still good. I paid more than that for my cell phone.

They should have just revitalized the PSP. Gave it a renewed software push and dropped the price. The Market isnt ready for Vita. Not releasing this holiday is the best thing possible. The lineup isnt ready either.

EmCeeGramr said:
This handheld generation is insane.

Nintendo announces a glasses-free 3D handheld while the DS is riding high.
Nintendo shows a system that blows people away at E3, with everyone citing the amazing 3D, great graphics, and huge lineup.
Sony announces a PSP2 called the Vita with dual touch panels and 3G and PS3-like power, everyone is blown away.
The 3DS comes out for $250, and suddenly people think the 3D's terrible, the graphics suck, and the lineup is shit and it underperforms.
Vita is announced to be $250, everyone flips their minds at the low, low price for that hardware and what a bargain it'll be.
Nintendo cuts the 3DS price by $80 in the first six months, personally apologizes to its early adopters, and gives them free games.
Investors and commentators claim that the Vita is now fucked at $250 because it's priced too high.
Sums it up nicely although the "Handhelds are doomed!!!iPhones all the way" undercurrents are what are mostly playing up the hysteria.

Granted while I was happy with 3DS E3 2010 reveal, I never understood GAFs and the industries complete overwhelming positivity and love for it. It was a good showing but not that spectacular. That's also why I probably why I didn't understand why I month before it launched most of the public's love for the device turned to hatred especially when a lot of people thought the system would be $300.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Special J said:

It was, and it is still amazing, for the hardware you are getting. Now we are talking about competitive advantage. This is a different thing altogether.

無視されるのは嫌だなー

I think $250 is a great price, so I will be importing from the US.

Azriell

Didn't Sony lower the price of the Vita to that of the 3DS? $250 vs $400 (or whatever the speculated price was) is a much bigger deal than $170 vs $250. $250 isn't that much in these days, and to the core (whom are more likely to buy a Vita over 3DS, in my mind), $250 is quite cheap compared to the cost of a $400+ console. Shit, its even still cheaper than the iPod Touch which is somewhat surprising to me.

I don't think Sony needs to cut the price of Vita anymore than they already have, at this point. Vita will have some obstacles to overcome, particularly in the states where the PSP wasn't so popular, but it's an amazing value proposition at $250. Nintendo lowered the price of 3DS because (and this is coming from someone who was completely in love with his DS up until a year or two ago, and who has previously assumed 3DS would be the best thing ever) it couldn't stand up to Vita when both devices have the same price tag. Vita will be quite successful, although in the end I suspect 3DS will still sell more units, if only because of the name recognition amoungst the "non core".

Top Bottom