• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Sony is Under Major Pressure to Cut the Price of the Vita or Risk a Major Failure”

Riposte

These comments have already been said for awhile, why does it matter if a writer from Bloomberg says it? Speculation drowning out speculation.

I thought $250 was too much for the 3DS, and I think $250 is too much for the Vita.

The masses are not going to pay that much for a dedicated portable these days. There is still a market for dedicated portables, but not at that price point.

Talking about how much "technology" is in the Vita is irrelevant. As we already know, the average consumer doesn't give a shit how many polygons it can move.

Kaizer

Banned
$250 is already pretty cheap for what the Vita's packing in technology-wise, of course Sony can feel free to lower the price if they want. You won't see me complaining. Smartphones have really made a dent in the portable gaming market though. Of course they still don't have the dedicated/deep games that handhelds have but I can say that since I got my MyTouch4G a few months ago, the DS & PSP have been collecting dust.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
elrechazao said:
Who is proposing to take the device away or remove its "high end" ness? All you just did was argue that the price should stay high....well....because?

Nobody. I just said that my country's economy is fine, and I like my high end devices. What is wrong with that?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
ThisWreckage said:
You do realize that the Asian markets opened to shitty results, right? Or that the EU is continually having to bail countries out. Most countries are in the shitter.

Stock market is not equal to the economy. Our unemployment rate is 2.1%. We have no lack of jobs and our wages hold steady.

Tron 2.0

Curufinwe said:
No price at E3 would have been a PR disaster.
I don't see how it would have been disastrous.

I think how they announced it generated great buzz, but I don't think it would have hurt them too bad to leave the price unannounced.

But I do wonder, as they watch the dollar free fall against the yen, if they wish they would have waited.

As for the price, I don't think it's unreasonable. But I do think at $250 you price out a lot of consumers. Even if you're packing incredible technology into the Vita, at $250 the perceived value for a gaming device is too low.

Speevy said:
Every gaming-specific handheld is going to fail relative to past generations.

If they stick to past conventions, they will.

Like it or not, the IPhone has changed the gaming spectrum, in that what was once a deal (40 dollar portable games and 200 dollar dedicated portable machines) is now prohibitively expensive.

Nintendo learned the hard way that they will suffer if they believe that the 3DS is the same value as the OG DS was in 2004. In lieu of dropping the price of the games, They will need to increase its worth to the consumer, which means taking a huge hit on the kit.

This is where this article comes in for Sony, 250 dollars is just too expensive for a gaming portable in 2011. Despite the tech included, Sony must either come lower on the price, or further differentiate the Vita in a more substantial manner than improved graphics and dual analog control or suffer the consequences.

sk3tch

BruiserBear said:
I thought $250 was too much for the 3DS, and I think $250 is too much for the Vita.

The masses are not going to pay that much for a dedicated portable these days. There is still a market for dedicated portables, but not at that price point.

Talking about how much "technology" is in the Vita is irrelevant. As we already know, the average consumer doesn't give a shit how many polygons it can move.

Word. Just like everyone says: software matters. Yes...yes it does. But also price. $250 is an insane barrier to entry. 3DS couldn't hack it (with FULL backwards compatibility to DS and DSi!). What makes you guys think the VITA will? The hardcore will adopt it no matter what...we are talking the masses here..

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
elrechazao said:
In response to someone arguing that the price should be low...

no, in response that just because America has a high unemployment rate, so does the rest of the world.

Kaizer said:
$250 is already pretty cheap for what the Vita's packing in technology-wise, of course Sony can feel free to lower the price if they want. You won't see me complaining. Smartphones have really made a dent in the portable gaming market though. Of course they still don't have the dedicated/deep games that handhelds have but I can say that since I got my MyTouch4G a few months ago, the DS & PSP have been collecting dust.

Question. Where they collecting dust before you got your new phone?

bobbytkc said:
no, in response that just because America has a high unemployment rate, so does the rest of the world.
Uhh, what does this have to do with your response, which said and implied that someone was trying to take away your high end devices? I don't think you are reading anything that either you or I have typed...

Curufinwe

sk3tch said:
Word. Just like everyone says: software matters. Yes...yes it does. But also price. $250 is an insane barrier to entry. 3DS couldn't hack it (with FULL backwards compatibility to DS and DSi!). What makes you guys think the VITA will? The hardcore will adopt it no matter what...we are talking the masses here..

It's not going to be a mass market device, not int the West. But it can still be profitable if Sony don't sell the hardware at too much of a loss.

Somnid said:
This argument will never hold because people do spend extraordinary amounts on smartphones.

If you really want to know how price works it's status. Nothing more. If it's a status symbol people will pay for it.

People spend a lot of money on most anything. The Nook Color, an lcd e-reader, has had modest success at $250.

Not that I don't think the Vita will be successful or anything.

bobbytkc said:
You put your tablet and laptop in your pocket?

I need to see this.
This is me...

rxlmb.jpg

...honest.

But yeah, my tablet goes in my pocket. It's an 8" model, not one of the monster sized ones.

Somnid said:
This argument will never hold because people do spend extraordinary amounts on smartphones.

If you really want to know how price works it's status. Nothing more. If it's a status symbol people will pay for it.

Phone purchases are heavily subsidized by term contracts, not to mention the average phone acts as much more than just a phone, whereas the DS and PSP, while having other functions, are primarily purchased for one purpose.

They must be thinking hard about it. How low can they go that would guarantee profit and make Nintendo shit their pants even more?

$250 is a steal for the tech.

This is more than $229. The Vita can do what it does. So why ain't people cryin' about the price of an iPod Touch?

I currently own an iPod Touch, and i love it, but a Vita will do what my Touch does, with a better screen and better game control.

$250 is not a bad price if the games and apps are there.

bobbytkc said:
Are you drunk or something right now? It's being US centered to think that the worldwide economy is in the shitter right now?

Xplatformer said:
This is more than $229. The Vita can do what it does. So why ain't people cryin' about the price of an iPod Touch?

I currently own an iPod Touch, and i love it, but a Vita will do what my Touch does, with a better screen and better game control.

It's Apple. They can get away with anything.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Psychotext said:
This is me...

rxlmb.jpg

...honest.

But yeah, my tablet goes in my pocket. It's an 8" model, not one of the monster sized ones.
That is some serious tail you've got. Can I get a hot damn?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
elrechazao said:
Uhh, what does this have to do with your response, which said and implied that someone was trying to take away your high end devices? I don't think you are reading anything that either you or I have typed...

Look at this quote:

ThisWreckage said:
I think that it's going to be doomed because of the worldwide economy more than anything. It's reasonably priced for what you're getting, but people forget that it's still 250 in an economy when some people can't even find jobs.

Look at my response:

bobbytkc said:
Fixed. Where I am the economy is just fine. I like my high end devices and phones. Thank you very much.

HE said that people worldwide can't find jobs. I corrected him, and just added that where I am, the job market is not a problem and I can still afford to buy high end devices and phones because our job market is not bad. What the fuck is your beef with me?

LuchaShaq

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
$250 wasn't low enough huh?

How about these "analysts" stop comparing the core handhelds to phone apps? It's two different markets and demographics completely.

It's starting to sound like scare tactics or just aimless chitchat for hits at this point.

It's the same market for me.

I carry my phone, and my keys nothing else. I'd rather play crappy smartphone games for the 5-10 min a day I can/want to than carry/pay for/and bust out a 3ds or vita.

I carry my phone either way for texts/calls/calender/web browsing/gps etc. The 5-10 min a day I want to mobile game are a bonus.

Don't think I'd pay 250 for both handhelds combined.

x3sphere

sk3tch said:

Fyi, the PSP launched @ $250 in the states. It did pretty good (sold around 1.5m in the first four months), and that was against the $150 DS.

1.5m is almost double what the 3DS sold in its first four months in the US. The market has changed since then, though, so the low traction on 3DS could've been due to the price, general lack of interest in handhelds, or a marketing failure on Nintendo's part. Most non-savvy tech folks I know think the 3DS is a DS with 3D tacked on. I guess we'll find out if price was holding back 3DS sales soon enough.

Alex

Vita may be too expensive for it's market. For what it actually is, it's a fine deal, it's powerful, has a sleek design and is ultimately a respectable piece of kit that has it's heart in a place that a lot fans polish, tech and meatier game design can get on board with.

However, I still think dedicated gaming handhelds are still primarily a childrens market in the west and parents are going to look at what is colorful, has a gimmick that sticks out and that is cheaper/familiar. Nintendo flubbed this entirely with the 3DS launch, but I think they're going to learn their lessons quickly and ultimately , while I don't think things will be as polarized, it'll be back to the same type of rut.

PSP is probably always going to be more of a niche here, I think most of us just hope it can maintain enough of a foothold in the west to justify localizations from it's Japanese primary market. Sony would be wise to try and capitalize on the Western indie market, as well though, I think that kind of content would fit in more than trying to pull in the general HD console crowd.

bobbytkc said:
Look at this quote:

Look at my response:

HE said that people worldwide can't find jobs. I corrected him, and just added that where I am, the job market is not a problem and I can still afford to buy high end devices and phones because our job market is not bad. What the fuck is your beef with me?
That you make no sense still?

theBishop

Banned
If Modern Warfare looks and plays good on this thing, in single and multiplayer, it's a hit. College kids will buy it. High school kids will buy it. Commuters will buy it.

LuchaShaq said:
It's the same market for me.

I carry my phone, and my keys nothing else. I'd rather play crappy smartphone games for the 5-10 min a day I can/want to than carry/pay for/and bust out a 3ds or vita.

I carry my phone either way for texts/calls/calender/web browsing/gps etc. The 5-10 min a day I want to mobile game are a bonus.

Don't think I'd pay 250 for both handhelds combined.

I carry a candybar phone for nothing but phone calls.
I'm going to also carry a Vita to do everything else. Text/calendar/web browsing/book reading/gps/gaming etc.

$250 isn't a bad price for all of that.

Xplatformer said:

The Ipod touch starts at 8GBs, the Vita is rumored to not have internal memory. I hope this 'delay' means that we'll have at least 512+128RAM and 16GB-32GB Internal memory for Wifi and 3G models respectively. I think it would be pretty embarrassing for a device to launch in 2012 without any internal memory and have a U$250 MSRP.

Gaborn

BruiserBear said:

Yup. There is a difference between "value" (the amount that something is worth) and PERCEIVED value (the amount someone is willing to pay for an item, or alternately sell it for). Simplest example, you go into a pawn shop with some old figurine that you think is old but you got for $10. You find out it's worth $1500. Similarly, an item may be a family heirloom but in real terms it might be worth only a few dollars.

In THIS case however it's not a question of the tech inside the Vita, it's whether the market generally is willing to PAY for the tech. It seems like a GREAT deal to people that understand technology... But then when has the mass market listened to experts? People will ultimately pay what they're willing to pay for a console and I do not think Vita is going to have sustainable, competitive sales for long at $250. It will get some adopters among the hardcore as always happens for any system but it's CERTAINLY not going to close the gap with the 3DS at that price now.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Psychotext said:
This is me...

rxlmb.jpg

...honest.

datass.jpg

Yea, I was imagining something like an ipad in your pocket and thinking "you can't be serious" lol.

Failure is a risk the playstation brand doesn't shy away from.
Everyone thought the psp was going to fail after the success of the DS,
but it held its own.
The PS3 launch was a failure, but hey that system too has its own good reasons for existing.

This bloomberg critic is kinda just a stocks troll. Trying to get attention at the 3ds price drop, and discredit to the sony stock.

Sennorin

Banned
Riposte said:
These comments have already been said for awhile, why does it matter if a writer from Bloomberg says it? Speculation drowning out speculation.

You tell me. Next we´ll have another TheWired-topic praising Apple and dooming 3DS, Vita and Wii U alltogether.

watershed

Banned
If its marketed correctly and has innovative games with the right appeal the vita could end up being the convergence device Sony hopes it will be. Looking at its feature set the vita is equally equipped to be a strong social gaming device as it is a core gaming device. I think the vita will find a niche market as is and everything else is up in the air.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
elrechazao said:
That you make no sense still?

Okay, as far as I am concerned, I made a perfectly reasonable and coherent response in standard english, with no intention of antagonizing anyone in the first place, so this discussion is over, and you are going on my ignore list.

PSVita doesn't have anything to worry about at $249 with all of the features it has. Now, I'm no expert, but I feel that PSVita needs to embrace apps rather than try to make apps bend to their will (Minis) if they want to succeed. They also need strong third party support that fits well with their demographics: Monster Hunters, shooters, etc. I have a feeling that the mod community is going to be pretty hot on the PSVita as well.

theBishop said:
If Modern Warfare looks and plays good on this thing, in single and multiplayer, it's a hit. College kids will buy it. High school kids will buy it. Commuters will buy it.

Way too much stock is being put into this game on a portable.

we.are.the.armada said:
PSVita doesn't have anything to worry about at $249 with all of the features it has. Now, I'm no expert, but I feel that PSVita needs to embrace apps rather than try to make apps bend to their will (Minis) if they want to succeed. They also need strong third party support that fits well with their demographics: Monster Hunters, shooters, etc. I have a feeling that the mod community is going to be pretty hot on the PSVita as well.

PS2 emulator, OMG!

Yeah, yeah, I know the PS2 is just way too complex and out there to properly emulate on this thing, but I can dream can't I?

Unless Sony snuck in a PS2 chip, maybe.

Duffyside

Banned
Nice to see so much sanity in this thread. We all freaked the fuck out when it was announced to be $250 dollars, and I haven't forgotten. With likely kick-ass day 1 software, this is the most excited I've ever been for any console launch ever. Can't wait.

Biff

Sony's problem is that people in general are tech-stupid.

We unfortunately represent ~10% of the gaming industry. Maybe 20% of other gamers have a level of knowledge high enough to realize the insane bargain the Vita is when compared to a $700 iPhone.

The remaining 70% just look at price and don't care/can't understand the difference between a 3DS and a Vita. Most people get iPhones on contract anyway, so a $150 iPhone vs $170 3DS vs $250 Vita... You see where I'm going.

It sounds like great price to me. If they lower it, that will be even better and will greater increase the sales they'll have during launch (Not unless there launch sucks). Did they announce anything about PS2 downloadable games, I don't remember.

Takuya

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
The Ipod touch starts at 8GBs, the Vita is rumored to not have internal memory. I hope this 'delay' means that we'll have at least 512+128RAM and 16GB-32GB Internal memory for Wifi and 3G models respectively. I think it would be pretty embarrassing for a device to launch in 2012 without any internal memory and have a U$250 MSRP.
8gb iPod touch at $229, and you want a 16GB PSVita at $249? What?

theBishop

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
Sony's problem is that people in general are tech-stupid.

People don't need to be tech smart. We're talking about ram and processors now because game media is currently lacking. All people need to know are games. Wii missed out on so many PS3/360 games because the hardware is lacking. Nobody needs to compare 360's GPU with Wii's GPU to know that Wii can't play GTA4.

Top Bottom