• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01net: Mario Galaxy originates from an external source

Alrus

BurntPork said:
Does that mean that the Wiimote+ is an entirely different controller than the standard Wiimote?

Oh please, will you be able to buy a second analog stick expansion for your vanilla 3DS?

apana

Alright I will admit it, I'm the one who came up with the idea for Mario Galaxy. Miyamoto and his buddies got me drunk one night and the rest is history....

radcliff

01net is a French site, right? So that would make it safe to assume the leak is from a NOE employee. If this is correct, how would anyone from NOE (a marketing branch) have so much info about development and prototypes at NCL? It sounds like they are taking scraps of info (whether true of not), filling in some blanks, embellishing, and passing it off as truth.

Tenck

bluehat9 said:
Super Mario Bros. 3 was made with code stolen from some college kids when Miyamoto broke into their dorm room looking for some cold pizza one night.

This made me laugh way more than it should have lol.

apana

ShockingAlberto said:
Reminds me of this picture of the Assassin's Creed dev team

I just beat Assassin's Creed 2 a little while back and loved it, this woman is amazing! By the way those other people need to get out of the way, they are ruining the picture.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Well . I think the basis of a more robustly structured article would hypothesize or factually present that some "interesting portion" of Super Mario Galaxy's concept was originally from another prototype from a "non permanent" Nintendo employee? I mean it is hard to understand what the actual fact is when the article itself is not sure. At the end of the day the editorial piece is just shimmering with slander and sensationalism.

But for the record. I think it is silly to credit giant pieces of work like Super Mario Galaxy or Pikmin to Shigeru Miyamoto and not the entire team. Specifically the lead hands-on designers.

I agree I dont like the article. On the topic of Miyamoto, Nintendo likes to trot him out for obvious reasons but I would like it if journalists (IGN, Game Informer, etc) tried to get more interviews from other staff members and highlighted their roles on the games.

ShockingAlberto said:
Raymond didn't do AC2, IIRC.
Wikipedia says she was an Executive Producer, so take that for what it is worth. She definitely didn't work on Brotherhood, though, as I believe she had started on the new Splinter Cell at that point.

BurntPork

Banned
Boney said:
You're being serious right?

On both accounts.
Not saying I believe the rumor. I thought about it a while ago and came to the same conclusion radcliff did. Someone's trolling, and 01net.com will probably be *****.com here very soon. Hell, we could probably do it right now.

Boney

Banned
BurntPork said:
Not saying I believe the rumor. I thought about it a while ago and came to the same conclusion radcliff did. Someone's trolling, and 01net.com will probably be *****.com here very soon. Hell, we could probably do it right now.
What you're failing to understand is that DSi came out 4 years after the DS launched.

BurntPork

Banned
Boney said:
What you're failing to understand is that DSi came out 4 years after the DS launched.
I know, but I was countering the "whole new system" point, since DSi isn't considered a new system. Besides that, even if it's true, Nintendo's not going to be dumb and release the revision before summer, and knowing Nintendo games that require the second stick will have it packed in.

GeekyDad

AbsoluteZero said:
Where the fuck did 01net come from and why is everyone using [it] as a source all of a sudden?

Right? Game journalism and real journalism are never close enough to wave at each other. Rumors are the new news. Of course, this is basically polite slander, and I hope it bites them in the ass.

BurntPork said:
I know, but I was countering the "whole new system" point, since DSi isn't considered a new system. Besides that, even if it's true, Nintendo's not going to be dumb and release the revision before summer, and knowing Nintendo games that require the second stick will have it packed in.

How is this second stick even supposed to plug in? The 3DS has no expansion port, no usb port, nothing another stick could plug into. Is it supposed to go in the card slot?!

BurntPork

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
How is this second stick even supposed to plug in? The 3DS has no expansion port, no usb port, nothing another stick could plug into. Is it supposed to go in the card slot?!
uh................

It uses the IR port!

Somehow...

BurntPork

Banned
hardcastle_mccormick said:
It's a nunchuck, you hold the 3DS in one hand and a detached extra stick in the other.

It's the least stupid thing I could think of.
There's still no way to connect that.

Platy said:
Also .... Everything is a Remix part 3 !
SPECIALY the post credits scene about how ideas happen at lots of places ... wich kinda explian the okami/twilight wolf thing

Ok. That video was pretty awesome to watch. Thanks for that link. It made me think about how Nintendo took the analog stick, gyroscope, and accelerometers, things that weren't new, yet implemented them into gaming with the N64 and Wii controllers. Both of which have had a huge impact in the gaming industry.

Boney

Banned
LOCK said:
These articles are getting more ridiculous as the days go by. Can't waif for Fridays article.
Nintendo going third party obviously. Predicable, but how doomed can you get!

Emitan

BurntPork said:
What did DSi launch at again? that added a hell of a lot more than an analog stick.
What did the DSi add? Cameras that no one used? A little bit bit of extra RAM? How is that more monumental than a new analog stick?

apana

Boney said:
Nintendo going third party obviously. Predicable, but how doomed can you get!

Nintendo garage sale. Gotta raise funds somehow now that no one wants to buy their consoles! I call dibs on the Zelda sword and shield.

jgwhiteus

Even if completely 100% true, why would this merit an article? That one part of the game (I'm assuming the concept or physics for the gravity "gimmick") came from outside IP that Nintendo had purchased? Not exactly surprising or shocking, and doesn't take anything away from the achievement that SMG was for Nintendo.

A gimmick doesn't equal a game - it's all about the execution and presentation. The level designs, the art, the music, etc. I really, really doubt that all those things were done outside, and all Nintendo had to do was "tweak a thing or two" to get a finished product.

It's possible to take the same gimmick and create a very, very bad game; that Nintendo was able to create SMG from the gravity concept is to its credit. So, yeah, the article seems a bit sensationalist in trying to make a story out of nothing. At most, it seems like one of those tidbits the designers would casually mention in an "Iwata Asks" interview without thinking it was a big deal.

Emitan

Lijik said:
Nintendo to become world's first Fourth Party studio
If a fourth party studio makes games for a third party to put on a first party system, then Rare would be the first. Nintendo is going second party.

BurntPork

Banned
Billychu said:
What did the DSi add? Cameras that no one used? A little bit bit of extra RAM? How is that more monumental than a new analog stick?
A download service? I guess that you consider DA to be something HUUUUUUGE!!! We have differing opinions, I guess.

Emitan

BurntPork said:
A download service? I guess that you consider DA to be something HUUUUUUGE!!! We have differing opinions, I guess.
A new download service doesn't stop off the shelf retail games from working. Lacking an input mechanism does.

jgwhiteus said:
Even if completely 100% true, why would this merit an article? That one part of the game (I'm assuming the concept or physics for the gravity "gimmick") came from outside IP that Nintendo had purchased? Not exactly surprising or shocking, and doesn't take anything away from the achievement that SMG was for Nintendo.
The main point of this article was supposed to talk about how Nintendo has a treasure chest full of prototypes and game ideas that they never use and instead of sitting on them they should use them to create more ips.

Emitan

Lord_Byron28 said:
The main point of this article was supposed to talk about how Nintendo has a treasure chest full of prototypes and game ideas that they never use and instead of sitting on them they should use them to create more ips.
But we knew this. They've admitted this.

Billychu said:
But we knew this. They've admitted this.
Yeah TBH there rumors aren't terrible so much as their hyperbolic way of putting it. If Nintendo said will be doing a DS lite/PS3 Slim style remarketing for the 3DS and started selling a 2nd stick attachment I'd be mad but not surprised. If official sources also said that both Pikmin and SMG weren't all Miyamoto's ideas and that they were created from a bunch of different prototypes I wouldn't be shocked either. The problem is the source or the writer makes it out all to be "Nintendo is DOOOOOOOOOOOMED". It seriously reads like an article from the post GCN/pre Wii/DS days and Nintendo is in a far better position now than they were back then.

With that said I still don't believe this source and it's ridiculous. I don't know where Nintendo would get a stupid idea that they need to add a 2nd analogue stick to save the 3DS which would piss off a big chunk of their fanbase. It should've been included from the get go but it's too late now and you think they'd wait till they see sales this holiday season.

Boney

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
How many times do you change your avatar a week?
I already have my new avatar theme sighted teeheehee

prolly not gonna use it though

your avatar is still the best though

Emitan

IceDoesntHelp said:
I refuse to believe any of this.
I know. That avatar choice is truly horrible.

This is the next avatar I have lined up:
VFINg.png

But I like the one I have even if some people don't like it *coughcoughGravijahandBoneycoughcough*

Top Bottom