• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1973 Japanese Magazine shows Big Daddy & Little Sister

mreddie

tumblr_mn3w3eglGz1s49q36o1_500.gif

The way she's dressed like, the look on her face... I think Levine took inspiration from this or something related to it, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing.
She looks like a little girl in a stereotypical old fashioned dress. They've been around for a long time (including The Shining, as Levine pointed out). The suit design is the unique thing in that image, and besides being based on a classic diving suit the two are very much different.

And besides that, if you're looking at the actual details of the designs, I would there would be a concept artist behind those, not Levine personally.

MormaPope

Banned
um people do that all the time, ESPECIALLY in gaming development when researching subjects/symbols. anything that can stir up inspiration is open to being used, especially something as simple as "creepy dive suit images".

going equally on the hyper defensive isn't going to help anything.

So Ken Levine is indeed a hack is what you're saying? Because that conversation started due to someone saying Levine is a hack for supposedly using one image to design something artistically.

Wow people are over reacting. If Levine says The Shining was the biggest (conscious) inspiration for the little sisters,I believe him. He has no history of lying, and no reason to start now. This coincidence isn't nearly as big as some people are making it seem. Bioshock takes place around the time that magazine came out, both characters being dressed similarly only makes sense. And the "child with protective monster/robot/demon/whatever relationship" isn't exactly new. Nothing more than a coincidence.

And even if this were inspiration, how does that somehow invalidate everything he accomplished with the first Bioshock?

Nocturno999

The basic concept of a innocent (malevolent?) little girl being protected by a hulking form, Robot,Space Marine, or Monster has been done in every way imaginable, Long before Bioshock was even an idea.
Some examples would be nice. (I agree with your post though).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Really?

You've personally never thought of something and then seen that thought not only utilized, but actually fully developed? I've had this happen all the time.

Anyone that doesn't think this is a coincidence is applying zero logic to this scenario. So Ken Levine looked up "Japanese magazine diver art 70's" and found the perfect image. Yup, right.

tumblr_m6701blpKA1qjeisgo1_500.jpg

Kansoku

Google's not turning up a damned thing. It does link this thread already though!

Oh well.

If you search for hi name in Japanese (角田純男), it shows some stuff. It seems he did a lot of covers for this magazine, and a bunch of books.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a minute, Big Daddys are called "Señor Pompas" in the Spanish version of Bioshock? Might have to start playing them if true lol.

d0c_zaius

So Ken Levine is indeed a hack is what you're saying? Because that conversation started due to someone saying Levine is a hack for supposedly using one image to design something artistically.

first and foremost, ken levine wasn't the only person that made bioshock. now stop putting words in my post to fuel your rage please.

that hack post was obvious troll bait.

MormaPope

Banned
first and foremost, ken levine wasn't the only person that made bioshock. now stop putting words in my post to fuel your rage please.

that hack post was obvious troll bait.

Fuel my rage? Why are you intimidated by my posts? On the meltdown meter my posts are coming in at Freezie pop level.

you've decided to go blind about it, I get it

Oh how I wish I can see.

Because when I think of Bioshock Infinte, I remember 200 hundred foot birds that come out from the ocean and a baby just sitting doing nothing.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, no way that is not an inspiration to say the least, Levine

Actually, there is... especially if you understand how the creative process works.

These sort of strange coincidences happen all the time, Carl Jung called them synchronicities.

Madness

I find that... hard to believe.

You find it hard to believe that a guy making a game in 2006 in the US wasn't inspired by a single image on the cover of some random Japanese magazine printed nearly 33 years prior?

All it is, is a striking coincidence. It happens all the time since we're all human and we tend to think the same ways sometimes.

I'm not saying I can't be wrong myself, but I'd look at the situation and take the man at his word. What harm would would come if he said yeah I was inspired by that image? None.

Authority

Banned
Nickname: People beyond the fog
Blood type: O-type
Hometown: Yamanashi Prefecture
Infested Location: Mysterious town of the other side of the fog
Homepage URL: kou-takekawa.blog.so-net.ne.jp
That you are writing on this blog: Fantasy world. Occasionally, a mysterious person to tell the truth of this world biting appears.

Detective Authority has solved the crime!

http://kou-takekawa.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_pages/user/profile/index

Xpliskin

So, in Spanish you'd hear "Mira Senor Pompas, it's an angeles"

am I doing it right
jk

Also, someone already forwarded the image back in Aprili to Ken Levine on facebook to which he didn't reply. Saw that on kotaku.

MormaPope

Banned
Songbird_header-864x1024.jpg

Yeah, totes the same.

It isn't like its a Big Daddy combined with a bird, its definitely mimicking the 200 foot mecha bird.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Nickname: People beyond the fog
Blood type: O-type
Hometown: Yamanashi Prefecture
Infested Location: Mysterious town of the other side of the fog
Homepage URL: kou-takekawa.blog.so-net.ne.jp
That you are writing on this blog: Fantasy world. Occasionally, a mysterious person to tell the truth of this world biting appears.

Detective Authority has solved the crime!

http://kou-takekawa.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_pages/user/profile/index

I think people are more curious if there's a story inside the issue that is anything like Bioshock (there won't be)

B..but I guess the artist's blood type could come in handy.

d0c_zaius

Fuel my rage? Why are you intimidated by my posts? On the meltdown meter my posts are coming in at Freezie pop level.

Oh how I wish I can see.

Because when I think of Bioshock Infinte, I remember 200 hundred foot birds that come out from the ocean and a baby just sitting doing nothing.

I'm not intimidated. I tried to explain how easy it was for this to happen, and got in the way of your Levine crusade.

It's quite easy for this to happen at some point in development(and it happens more often than people realize in a lot of games). Its possible it even inspired something without Levine's direct knowledge.

and if this is how your freezie level then lesson learned. Trolls and those that react to them and such.

You find it hard to believe that a guy making a game in 2006 in the US wasn't inspired by a single image on the cover of some random Japanese magazine printed nearly 33 years prior?

All it is, is a striking coincidence. It happens all the time since we're all human and we tend to think the same ways sometimes.

I'm not saying I can't be wrong myself, but I'd look at the situation and take the man at his word. What harm would would come if he said yeah I was inspired by that image? None.

Nod.

So much tinfoil hate going on.

TsuWave

too similar for me to believe its mere coincidence

might as well just say they took inspiration from it and keep it moving

L.O.R.D

maybe he read it when he was kid and forgot about it , or someone told him about this when he was kid , and forgot it
after many years , the ideas comeback to him as ( new idea ) ...maybe ?

this happen to me before , 2 years ago i told my friend a good idea for a game story
it was good
after a minute he told me he remember this story from something else, it was in old cartoon show in the 80s

Authority

Banned
I think people are more curious if there's a story inside the issue that is anything like Bioshock (there won't be)

B..but I guess the artist's blood type could come in handy.

That is his homepage so someone who speaks the language can contact him and ask him what the story was about so we can draw more information or alternatively someone can buy that magazine and do the translation.

At the end of the day we will never know since the Bioshock guy denied it.

MormaPope

Banned
Really? A portal and a baby? C'mon now, this can't be a coincidence.

The Player starts the game in their new cottage on the Oregon coast. According to the Players diary, he or she (personal effects in the new cottage, such as a handbag, suggest a female protagonist, but the gender is never explicitly defined) is a struggling writer who has just moved in, and recently met their eccentric next door neighbor, Dr. Jeremiah Krick, and his daughter Amanda, who live in a nearby lighthouse. Glancing out of the window, the player sees the lighthouse struck by lightning and it, afterwards, begin to glow strangely. On the player's answering machine, Dr. Krick has left a frantic message begging the player to come over to his house and watch Amanda.

Upon arriving at Dr. Kricks house, the player discovers the front door locked, darkness inside, and silence. After turning on the power and entering, the player finds Amanda in her crib, alone. Once the player has explored the house, a snap is heard, and Amanda begins crying. When the player enters her room, the "Dark Being", described in Dr. Kricks journal, takes Amanda, and jumps through a portal. At this point, the Player can either follow him through, or use Dr. Krick's laboratory to construct their own portal. Either way, the player ends up on a rocky beach in a parallel world. Krick's notes on this make reference to the real physical concept of Godel's universe.

As the player explores 6 different locations in the parallel world, the goal becomes clear. They must build an "Ionizing Cannon," whose 7 pieces are scattered between the different locations. Then, the player must use this cannon to capture the Dark Being, and save Dr. Krick and Amanda.

Which wiki was this taken from, Bioshock Infinite or Lighthouse: The Dark Being?

Also, just watched the ending to Lighthouse, and no, they're not the same.

Top Bottom