• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1973 Japanese Magazine shows Big Daddy & Little Sister

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This is bigger than the protagonists name Harry Potter in the 1986 movie Troll! Or is it....?

Zeliard

Nah thats something else, heres the birdman:
ghrwB4k.gif

the cover is just laying out random characters over a background

There were scenes in Bioshock Infinite with Songbird smashing shit. How much more blatant can you get?!

Instro

Probably nothing. Even if the image was inspiration there would be nothing wrong with that, assuming there isn't any stories in that mag that mirror elements from Bioshock.

Zambatoh

Not really surprised. I think Bioshock was purposely meant to be a throwback title for 60s/70s era sci-fi, but with modern graphics.
Or at least that's the impression I got while playing it. I dunno. It's been a few years.

Creatively speaking, there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from images/stories and crafting something new and original around the elements that most interest you.

Hell, Tarantino lifts elements and imagery wholesale for his films and no-one goes around calling him a hack.

I am sure you could find images that predate other popular works of sci-fi and fantasy that bear close resemblance to them.

There are so many artists and ideas out there, there is guaranteed to be an uncanny amount of and closely related similarities.

Has anyone translated the story from that magazine yet? I love old Sci Fi and I want to read the story.

Also, here you go.

"Whatever has happened before will happen again. Whatever has been done before will be done again. There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

Of course, the rest of that chapter and the second chapter in context is summed up as "Everything is pointless and nothing anyone does will be appreciated or remembered in the centuries. The more I learn, the more I earn, the more I do will not matter in the end because we all die." Of course, there is an "unless" in the book. But yeah.

As for that PC game? Neat. I love point and click games. It would be kind of neat to see it remastered in some way and put on tablets.

Also, I always thought Bioshock was neat and then Bioshock Infinite pulled the works of Brian Greene into the fiction and I LOVE alternate worlds.

It was also why I was a bit surprised by people being confused or unable to wrap their minds around the ending of Bioshock Infinite. :-/ Do people not read?

Creatively speaking, there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from images/stories and crafting something new and original around the elements that most interest you.

Hell, Tarantino lifts elements and imagery wholesale for his films and no-one goes around calling him a hack.

How can you even compare that to Tarantino? It's practically intentional in Tarantino's movies. He won't hide it and then deny it when brought up. /rant

Wow. Just...wow.

Why in the hell are we so eager to tear people down? I mean...yes I understand it's human nature to tear down and build up public figures, but this shit has been in overdrive lately.

It's the nature of the creative process to take influences and mold them into something different. And with the sheer breadth of creative material out there, do honestly think there is a concept out there that hasn't at least been partially covered somewhere else, in some way, shape, or form?

daniels

The city of the lost children is also pretty similare in imagery and even in Atmosphere...
you know run down dirty with water everywhere, random grotesque crazy people, mad scientist that havests young children...

bdyv3.jpg

stilgar

This thread...

Guys, inspiration and plagiarism are way more intricated than some of you claim. It's the Carnival of stupids - copyright version.

Anyway, op, very interesting stuff.

daydream

Banned
Wow. Just...wow.

Why in the hell are we so eager to tear people down? I mean...yes I understand it's human nature to tear down and build up public figures, but this shit has been in overdrive lately.

It's the nature of the creative process to take influences and mold them into something different. And with the sheer breadth of creative material out there, do honestly think there is a concept out there that hasn't at least been partially covered somewhere else, in some way, shape, or form?

I think it's fair to talk about artistic visions that bare striking resemblances to some of Levine's work, but I agree that it doesn't matter in the slightest if he was influenced by them or not (even if he admitted to something).

So yeah, any outrage is completely uncalled for.

(My low opinion of Levine as a writer remains the same.)

stilgar

The city of the lost children is also pretty similare in imagery and even in Atmosphere...
you know run down dirty with water everywhere, random grotesque crazy people, mad scientist that havests young children...

bdyv3.jpg

It's also a pretty good game, albeit way too short.

pswii60

I don't really buy it. The little girl bears some resemblance to a little sister, but any little girl wearing an old fashioned dress would so that's that. As for the diving suit guy, it's a dude in a diving suit. I never really thought of big daddies as just dudes in diving suits.

My understanding is that Bioshock was originally supposed to be set on a space station until some major changes in art direction gave way to the underwater setting. I can't really believe that some artist saw the rather innocuous cover of this obscure Japanese magazine and changed everything based on that.

If this image is striking, it's only because we're already familiar with Bioshock, not the other way around.
This.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
What if the artist was a time traveler and he's the one that stole from Bioshock.

The image of the man in the diving suit and the girl seems like pure coincidence to me, and even if it isn't drawing unrelated inspiration from a single image is far from immoral. That Dark Being game, however, has some ridiculous parallels. To my mind, it stretches coincidence a bit, even if at its meat the game is very dissimilar from Bioshock in terms of content and story direction.

kyser73

Everything is a ripoff from classical Grecian theatre from 2000 years ago. Every writer since then, including Shakespeare, is therefore a hack regardless of whether they've read any ancient Grecian theatre or not.

Top Bottom