• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1st Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire footage to be shown @ Pokémon GetTV on Sunday

X/Y has been my favourite generation since Regular Ruby/Standard Sapphire, totally rekindled my Pokemon love, so I'm up for whatever Gamefreak gives me. I do hope they can get that framerate up, of course.

My initial reaction was 'but we already know how it'll look don't we' but of course we don't for sure. None of the remakes so far have looked exactly like the other games of their generation so I'm interested to see what makes these visually distinct.

Well since they're using 3D models now you can be certain that they won't change the existing ones other than some minor tweaking and instead just add on to the current pool. Redrawing a lot of sprites is a bunch of work too, but considering how little animated they were it wasn't too, too much.

What they can do is of course do engine improvements, changes to camera angles etc. to make it look quite different either way.

I personally would hope they actually put in the darn effort to get this stuff running fluidly at 60fps even in 3D. At least the battles. That should be doable, especially when you look at the way better looking Smash 3DS which will supposedly run at 60fps. But considering that this is gamefreak and not one of the great Nintendo developers that know how to code their shit efficiently, I'm 99% certain we'll get minor improvements over X/Y at best.

I could imagine getting the game if the technical aspects are up to par and e.g. loading a random battle doesn't take more seconds than feasible. But color me surprised if that were to finally be the case.

SoulUnison

Banned
Hoping they tightened up that engine so using 3D doesn't murder the framerate

Engine improvements, 3D in more places and using 3D without sending the framerate roller-coastering around are my biggest wants for these games.

I'd also like to see trainers standing behind the Mons in battle, Battle Revolution style.
It'd make trainer customization more meaningful.

And maybe some variety in Link Battle arenas - I'm kinda sick of battling in the Holodeck.

L~A

I'd also like to see trainers standing behind the Mons in battle, Battle Revolution style.
It'd make trainer customization more meaningful.

Yeah, that's one of the things that disappointed me in the game (thanksfully, it's something minor).

I'd also love to have the "Pokémon following you" thing back, like in HGSS. I just love that feature, though it was hardly groundbreaking or necessary.

JoeM86

Yeah, that's one of the things that disappointed me in the game (thanksfully, it's something minor).

I'd also love to have the "Pokémon following you" thing back, like in HGSS. I just love that feature, though it was hardly groundbreaking or necessary.

I'm unsure how well that'd work with 3D models and scale, though. With sprites, it's easy to dismiss it, but now with a Wailord following you, it'd be ridiculous.

Though I'm not opposed to the idea. I'd love my Celebi to follow me through thick & thin once more :)

upandaway

I'm unsure how well that'd work with 3D models and scale, though. With sprites, it's easy to dismiss it, but now with a Wailord following you, it'd be ridiculous.

Though I'm not opposed to the idea. I'd love my Celebi to follow me through thick & thin once more :)
They can just allow a selection of Pokemon to follow you, like an extended version of how Pikachu was the only one in Yellow. Say, all of the Pokemon that are in a certain size range, and can walk on land. The first one in the party that belongs in the group is chosen.

I'm 100% certain it won't happen, just saying they have no excuse (even more so regarding the gen 5 games, but even now).

Renta

Banned
I imagine them just showing the first town, and the character walking 10 paces like last time lol

Huh, wonder if pokemon following will return, actually

L~A

Oh yeah, that'd be a problem... though I'm sure they could find a way to make it work. But there's also the animations to make for all 700+ Pokémon.

By the way, realised I didn't fix the time for NA... done now.

lewisgone

It's a weird thing to be thinking about, but I really, really hope the UI is better in this game. For some reason it really rubbed me the wrong way in X/Y. The rounded, colorful shiny buttons...the slow to navigate and often useless bottom screen....I miss the touch screen in HGSS. It's hard to describe why it bugged me so much, I just hated the UI.

The soundtrack was pretty weak too. There were some cool tracks, but it's definitely my least favorite Pokemon OST. So I hope the R/S music (which I've always considered great) gets some really great remixes and isn't butchered.

Above all though I hope the game isn't rushed. 1 year after a poorly optimized X/Y, in a region that has to be created in 3D from scratch. I hope the game performs well, and doesn't cut corners (Like a locked 2D overworld...although I'd take that over the horrible framerate in some battles). And speaking of cutting corners, I hope we get a decent postgame. You could definitely tell it wasn't thought about in X/Y.

So I'm really interested to see this footage, even if it might not be anything substantial.

corn_fest

If it's anything like the first HG/SS footage, it'll probably be walking in a tight circle around a town for 4 seconds. Still, it'll be cool to get an idea of the game's visual style.

So was Pokémon X and Y not so good?

Because the excitement for this remake makes it seem like we haven't had a Pokémon release in years

Village

Perfect. I get out of work a half hour before this starts. Hopefully the commute home doesn't take too long!

and that was the day the largest car pile up in the history of man, happened on spinsdashing's commute.

No one was hurt, but a pile of cars awaits

JoeM86

Because the excitement for this remake makes it seem like we haven't had a Pokémon release in years

X & Y are great, though have a couple of graphical issues and the usual lack of post-game that the start of a generation has.

RS, however, were many people's first games so this is why hype is high.

Neo Child

Banned
Fuck. Well hopefully we never get another Lumiose City or something like it.

Wellt at least improve the endgame and give us high level trainers to fight after Elite4

Eh at your first comment.

Lumiouse City was the only thing outside of the battles that I was impressed with visually. A whole game in a lumiouse city style of behind the player camera (and moveable camera like XY) please

It was cool, but kind of underwhelming at the same time. A bit barebones in terms of content. Bad pacing, wonky difficulty etc. Battle system is solid (framerate aside) but there is very little in the way of side activities, compared to R/S. Plus Emerald has some of the best post-game content in the series, which will no doubt be incorporated into the remakes.

It's a weird thing to be thinking about, but I really, really hope the UI is better in this game. For some reason it really rubbed me the wrong way in X/Y. The rounded, colorful shiny buttons...the slow to navigate and often useless bottom screen....I miss the touch screen in HGSS. It's hard to describe why it bugged me so much, I just hated the UI.
I hated it too. It's ugly and fisher-price looking, which seems even worse after the slick Gen V UI.

If true, I can't wait to see the gameplay. People might finally be able to lay to rest the debate between Forms vs Megas for the mascot legendaries.

JoeM86

Ruby and Sapphire has great post game compared to X/Y.

Emerald Blows everything out of the water still, and surely that content will be featured.

Ruby & Sapphire had the Battle Tower. That's it. (Aside from getting Rayquaza)
X & Y has the Battle Maison (Tower equivalent), a new city, various subquests (Mega Stones, Looker episodes) and so forth. Also, it had legends unlocking in postgame (Birds, Mewtwo, Zygarde) as well.

harmonize

X & Y has the Battle Maison (Tower equivalent), a new city, various subquests (Mega Stones, Looker episodes) and so forth. Also, it had legends unlocking in postgame (Birds, Mewtwo, Zygarde) as well.
And online, which isn't frequently mentioned in discussions about postgames in this series for some reason even though it adds an absolutely insane amount of playability to the games since every iteration focuses on interacting with other players to some degree.

Eh at your first comment.

Lumiouse City was the only thing outside of the battles that I was impressed with visually. A whole game in a lumiouse city style of behind the player camera (and moveable camera like XY) please

Ewww. Lumiose looked pretty but navigating through the place was such a pain in the ass.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of post-game, I'd love them to add an actual story plot focusing on the Regis (and Regigigas).

Maybe explain what they actually are, and how Brandon got his hands on them. They're too cool to always be thrown to the side.

injurai

Banned

Is the Regi hunting not end game? Anyways I relaly enjoyed catching the Regis and Rayquaza. Still the most enjoyable legendary hunting of the series IMO. In general gen 3 seemed to strike a balance of compelling game design that just hasn't quite been matched. XY features a lot of new peripheral systems, but the core interactions that make you feel part of the pokemon world seem to have been long lost.

I partly blame the shift of tone that the Animes started leaning towards. I no longer feel like a great trainer for embarking on the route to be the number battler. It's all be lost. Hopefully they don't miss the tonal qualities that existed in gen 3. HGSS did it pretty well, but they were much more explicit come RSE that they will have to once again deliberately convey those strains.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Hmm do I a Japanese kid show for old time stake or do I wait for it to hit Youtube 10 minutes later?

Answer:
I do both

Ruby and Sapphire also had Latios and Latias.

Is the Regi hunting not end game?

No you can get the Regi any time once you got what you needed to unlock their chamber.

injurai

Banned
I really enjoyed how HGSS had this Japanese and Almost Shinto like aesthetic throughout. The past two gens have been "set" in NY and France respectively. I hope we see some nice touches make ORAS seem more like Kyushu.

Wiseblade

Speaking of post-game, I'd love them to add an actual story plot focusing on the Regis (and Regigigas).

Maybe explain what they actually are, and how Brandon got his hands on them. They're too cool to always be thrown to the side.
Ehh, I like the Regis as the only remnants of a long forgotten civilisation. If anything, givr Brandon a throwaway line about discovering ancient ruins in another region and be done with it.

I'd love to see the Regi caves expanded though. Turn them into fully explorable areas with more ancient texts and themed wild pokémon.

-Horizon-

I hope they bring back the artwork that shows up when you enter a significant location. All the remakes had them so far.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Curious as to what they will show.

The first footage of HG/SS shown on Pokemon Sunday focused on New Bark Town, and showed off the player being followed by his Pokemon.

I recall Black and White was showing the player moving around Castelia City to show off the larger game world.

I imagine they'll probably show off one of the town's redesigns (I bet it'll be Rustboro or Fortree, one of the more impressive locales in 3D), and just have the PC exploring it. I doubt it will be anything lengthier.

Top Bottom