• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2007 Italy's Software chart

eso76

I don't know about the other countries, but the term "playstation" became so common during PsOne days here, it's now used by people and media to identify ANY home console.
When non-gamers say "playstation" they actually mean "home console", could be a ps, an xbox, a wii...anything.
I remember hearing "the guy was playing with his Nintendo playstation" as in "that model of playstation which is manufactured by nintendo" in the news few months ago.
Casuals' perception is PlayStation is the only console available, or at the very least, the 'original' one; even those aware that there's xbox and wii perceive them as pale substitutes of the machine that started it all.
That's because consoles have always been a niche product here, until PSX (being the first easily pirateable console helped a lot). Back then EVERYONE had a psx here and more and more casuals ended up buying one too exactly because "what the heck, everybody has one!". You'd find out your friends and relatives who never cared about videogames had a psx, heck, i found out my uncle bought one as well, and Sony still enjoys a huge popularity from those days.
Sonyland total.

Leonsito

bluheim said:
Are you working fro Microsoft ?

What? I have a PSOne and a PS2, and just at this moment I'm playing PES on the PS2.

I'm just telling that the Microsoft problem is just a matter of marketing and image here, they have the games, and have a good price.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
The_lascar said:
94702391_resize480.jpg

AHAHAHAH

carla bruni have got only the italian name, but she is 100% franch and she lose the world cup too :D

eso76 said:
I don't know about the other countries, but the term "playstation" became so common during PsOne days here, it's now used by people and media to identify ANY home console.
To the point that in a recent TV series (I don't remember which one), there was one guy cleary playing with an Xbox 360, but when a friend came in the room told him "stop playing playstation!".

Yeah, in Italy Playstation and video games are pretty much synonims.

avaya

eso76 said:
When non-gamers say "playstation" they actually mean "home console", could be a ps, an xbox, a wii...anything.
I remember hearing "the guy was playing with his Nintendo playstation" as in "that model of playstation which is manufactured by nintendo" in the news few months ago.
Casuals' perception is PlayStation is the only console available, or at the very least, the 'original' one; even those aware that there's xbox and wii perceive them as pale substitutes of the machine that started it all.
That's because consoles have always been a niche product here, until PSX (being the first easily pirateable console helped a lot). Back then EVERYONE had a psx here and more and more casuals ended up buying one too exactly because "what the heck, everybody has one!". You'd find out your friends and relatives who never cared about videogames had a psx, heck, i found out my uncle bought one as well, and Sony still enjoys a huge popularity from those days.
Sonyland total.

Kutaragi is thinking of buying a holiday home in Tuscany, so that he can be with his people.

Raist

Banned
kallisto76 said:
Finally we have official hardware numbers (source GFK marketing research group):

Italy November Hardware Chart

2 PS3: 69.000

Italy December Hardware Chart

3 PS3: 91.500

LTD Hardware:
4 PS3: 357.500

So the PS3 only sold 197k units from march to september, roughly 33k per month ? Huge boost for the end of the year then, impressive.

Decker

super funk said:
Parliamo italiano in questo filo.

"filo" in italian means "wire" not "thread" :lol

anyway that was pretty good

you should have said "parliamo italiano in questa discussione"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Raist said:
So the PS3 only sold 197k units from march to september, roughly 33k per month ? Huge boost for the end of the year then, impressive.

Going from 599.90 Euros to 399.90 Euros does that to you (plus PSN games and more AAA retail games did help users to look at the PS3 under a more positive light) ;).

Still, the problem in Italy are game prices... way too high... (Silent Hill Origins on PSP came out in the U.S. at the price point of $29.90 while being sold for more than 2x that in Italy... 49.90 Euros... not to talk about Uncharted being 69.90 Euros here while being sold for $59.90 in the U.S. ... not even Sony is sticking to the 59.90 magical price point keeping $ and Euro parity... Orange Box being again $59.90 in the U.S. and 69.90 Euros in most stores here).

eso76 said:
Sonyland total.
It was that way in Germany as well (when referring to home consoles).

Panajev2001a said:
Going from 599.90 Euros to 399.90 Euros does that to you (plus PSN games and more AAA retail games did help users to look at the PS3 under a more positive light) ;).

Still, the problem in Italy are game prices... way too high... (Silent Hill Origins on PSP came out in the U.S. at the price point of $29.90 while being sold for more than 2x that in Italy... 49.90 Euros... not to talk about Uncharted being 69.90 Euros here while being sold for $59.90 in the U.S. ... not even Sony is sticking to the 59.90 magical price point keeping $ and Euro parity... Orange Box being again $59.90 in the U.S. and 69.90 Euros in most stores here).
Same applies to Germany as well, the 70 € for the last slew of first party software (Lair, HS, R&C, Uncharted) sure makes an impression on customers - mostly not favourable. iirc none of these titles charted in the all-format Top10 (maybe HS did for a week, not sure).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
spwolf said:
thats just funny. They play PES2008 because it is the best PES ever and because they play PES 90% of the time they play games.

Damn right! Especially on Ps3!
...:lol :lol :lol :lol

eso76

avaya said:
Kutaragi is thinking of buying a holiday home in Tuscany, so that he can be with his people.

that's where i live :)
i would have him come over for a glass of wine and some halo 3 co op from time to time :p

eso76

Panajev2001a said:

yeah, for some reason italy is one of the most expensive countries in europe, not only that, salaries are generally considerably lower than in the rest of the UE.
Yay !

Lightning

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Same applies to Germany as well, the 70 € for the last slew of first party software (Lair, HS, R&C, Uncharted) sure makes an impression on customers - mostly not favourable. iirc none of these titles charted in the all-format Top10 (maybe HS did for a week, not sure).
Germany better buy MGS4!!!!!!

Darji

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
It was that way in Germany as well (when referring to home consoles).

The problem here is that you cant find any 360 game in the charts either. In germany the PS3 is in front of the 360 if you want it or not.^^

Darji said:
The problem here is that you cant find any 360 game in the charts either. In germany the PS3 is in front of the 360 if you want it or not.^^
Huh? What does one have to do with the other? Keep your system wars bullshit out. Sure PS3 is in front of 360 (although it didn't beat 360's LTD yet, but it sure will). That has nothing to do with the fact that first party software on PS3 has been bombing lately - which can surely be linked to the ridiculous RRP - wether you like it or not.

Lightning said:
Germany better buy MGS4!!!!!!
Will Sony be publishing it in Europe? Either way I hope the RRP is not 70 €.

bluheim

Banned
Leonsito said:
I'm just telling that the Microsoft problem is just a matter of marketing and image here, they have the games, and have a good price.

And a pretty awful system that can die any day, without warning.

Microsoft problem is not just a marketing one. Or you must admit that Sony's problem in the US is only a marketing one. Because they have the games, the value for the money is second to none and the reliability is top notch.

Wizpig

Well, i'm Italian, and i'm the first to say that these charts are SHIT.
I mean, 90% of Italians, when it comes to videogames, buy shit.

bluheim

Banned
Wizpig said:

Based on these charts, looks like they don't. French charts are awful when compared to this : Wii Play, Rayman Rabbits and that kind of shits are all over the place.

Wizpig said:
haha maybe part of the reason is italians dont like to buy software from a company that portrays them as a fat plumber who kills turtles for a living :lol

TJ Spyke

frAntic_Frog said:
haha maybe part of the reason is italians dont like to buy software from a company that portrays them as a fat plumber who kills turtles for a living :lol

Maybe if he was a Simpsons character. According to the DVD commentaries, people in Scotland love Groundskeeper Willy (yes I know you were joking).

Woz

frAntic_Frog said:

Ahah, it could be... and don't forget that in Italy the plumber is the professional category that come in your home and bum-bum your wife :D

Top Bottom