• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
So stoked right now. FIOS came through and made the deal. I will get the TWC channel tomorrow for the halloween game. TNC for tonight.

I'm feeling for you Direct TV subscribers out there though. They still haven't come to a deal?

Anyway ... season is finally here. Fuck yeah.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dude... now that's bigger bullshit than all of this K-Mart talk.

Anyway I think Martin can just doing fine for help collecting W (i.e not gonna hampering Thunders record) against low-mid tier team, the fact he's worse player than Harden just gonna bothering a lot against decent-contender team.

Top 10 player. Bottom tier point guard.

Joe Johnson is a franchise player
7vHhY.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also just to note, Harden's numbers last year playing without either Westbrook or Durant on the court.

(per 36)

29 PPG on 52% FG, 39% 3 PT, 85% FT
5 APG
5 RPG
3.7 TO/G

So his offensive rates were actually the same or better without either guy on the court but his turnover numbers were way up as well. I'd imagine something similar to be the case in Houston.

Sup guys. What an enjoyable offseason, didn't have to worry at all, I am totally confident we will repeat this year super Laker team and all. Caught some of the preseason games and the Heat look better than ever. Tonight should be one hell of a game, finally basketball is back.

LETS GO HEAT!

Did anybody else notice in First Take at the Facebook debate of who wins MVP, Skip's case for LeBron included a point that said "Kevin Martin will shoot thirty times a game" which swung the vote 10% his way instantly

Ph33nix is there a story behind your avatar? No need for brown bags anymore. Dolphins are playoff bound baby! (ok I have high hopes :p )

Dthomp

Also just to note, Harden's numbers last year playing without either Westbrook or Durant on the court.

(per 36)

5 APG
5 RPG
3.7 TO/G

So his offensive rates were actually the same or better without either guy on the court but his turnover numbers were way up as well. I'd imagine something similar to be the case in Houston.

While the numbers show that you have to remember that alot of the time he was on the court was with the opposing teams second units. I'm just not a fan of his turnovers and I question any team thinking he can be a number one guy.

fertygo

(per 36)

5 APG
5 RPG
3.7 TO/G

Like someone mention before, what kind of defense that he face when neither of those two on the floor?

Zep

Banned

(per 36)

5 APG
5 RPG
3.7 TO/G

Expect 22-24ppg 36% 3PT shooting and a 46% FG.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You guys trying to tear down Harden and inflate Kevin Martin Wow. This shit is ...WoW.

I'm convinced this shit is happening because of the parties involved in the trade. Theres obviously no way OKC and Presti could be had by the Rockets and Morey because the former is a genius and the latter is obviously a basketball idiot.

We'll see what happens. Just happy the trade was made now right before the season starts instead of 2 months ago because the chatter on it is already growing old.

Mxrz

Lakers, Memphis (finally healthy), possibly the Clippers, and I expect Denver to seed higher than them as well.

I don't see it. Nash and Kobe are a hundred and thirty-seven years old. Memphis is still Memphis. Clippers, maybe if Paul is healthy and has flashbacks of 08, and Griffin learns there's another side of the game. Denver could be something, but Iggy isn't exactly a Durant.

Losing Harden hurts and the gap narrows, but I'd still take them over anyone in the West right now.

The way I see it:

Durant=CP3
Westbrook=Griffin
Collison=Bledsoe
Ibaka=Jordan

In terms of impact. And the rest of the players on both teams are really overrated and bad so I don't really see how the Thunder are better than the Clippers right now and I'm not really high on the Clippers this year either.

DY_nasty

While the numbers show that you have to remember that alot of the time he was on the court was with the opposing teams second units. I'm just not a fan of his turnovers and I question any team thinking he can be a number one guy.
Do you have this same argument for Ginobli?

a good distributor could do damage with Durant and Martin playing off the ball, but Westbrook looks his teammates off every other trip to the bucket.

Dthomp

Do you have this same argument for Ginobli?

To a lesser extent yes. However I believe Ginobili is more talented or at least was in the past. While he is prone to turnovers he rarely disappoints when he's on the court and has had to carry the Spurs in spurts over the years. Harden has played good games but I never felt that if any injury sidelined Durant or Westbrook that he could step in for a season and make and impact like Ginobili could. I know I'm in the minority here that I don't like Harden and have been just fine with the idea of trading him and I think the Thunder did get a good deal for him. Living in MN and now ND over the last few years I rarely see Rocket games to see Martin day in and day out but feel he can make an impact on this team like Harden would have. The Thunder needed something for now and later and the two 1sts, the second rounder plus Lamb means that they'll be in a spot to contend for some time.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I don't really see how they are worse? Harden is a 12ppg player to Martins career 18.5 (I know Martin has been a starter) but as a big OKC fan Harden was crap when it mattered last year. They needed some vets that can game. Not to mention that having Maynor back to handle the backup PG means that Martin can handle the 2 for stretches and not just have Harden running around chucking up shots. Perkins (While I hated his season last year) is another year removed from major surgery and should be much better this year. Plus if Perry Jones or Jeremy Lamb contribute it will be major for another title run. I think once Martin figures out his role they'll be just fine, whether he finds a way into the starting lineup with Westbrook/Martin/Durant/Ibaka/Perkins but it's hard to say what will happen there because there were stretches where last years lineup had problems scoring.

:lol

Yeah, I thought we all agreed that Kevin Martin was not good. What happened?

Bad player is on bad team, then bad player is bad. Bad player gets sent to good team, then good team will make him good?

reilo acting like blazers are good.

What? I have done the exact opposite. Stick to trolling your own team.

reilo

Show me a post where I proclaimed Portland is going to be good. I'll wait.

Flash

To a lesser extent yes. However I believe Ginobili is more talented or at least was in the past. While he is prone to turnovers he rarely disappoints when he's on the court and has had to carry the Spurs in spurts over the years. Harden has played good games but I never felt that if any injury sidelined Durant or Westbrook that he could step in for a season and make and impact like Ginobili could. I know I'm in the minority here that I don't like Harden and have been just fine with the idea of trading him and I think the Thunder did get a good deal for him. Living in MN and now ND over the last few years I rarely see Rocket games to see Martin day in and day out but feel he can make an impact on this team like Harden would have. The Thunder needed something for now and later and the two 1sts, the second rounder plus Lamb means that they'll be in a spot to contend for some time.

So you're purely going off $tat$? Because then that explains a lot.

And Harden may not have been as good as Ginobili was but he's still a great player. I also don't think that Harden has peaked and i think that he will continue to improve.

You don't fuck with a winning dynamic like that to save a few million. A player of Harden's calibre and willingness to come off the bench aren't growing off trees.

reilo

You said he was among the least efficient offensive players in the league, which is objectively untrue.

42%, 41.7%, 39.8%, 43.5%, 43.6%, 41.3%

He had a PER of 16.5 last year. The average PER? 15.

The way I see it:

Durant=CP3
Westbrook=Griffin
Collison=Bledsoe
Ibaka=Jordan

In terms of impact. And the rest of the players on both teams are really overrated and bad so I don't really see how the Thunder are better than the Clippers right now and I'm not really high on the Clippers this year either.

I'm looking forward to you being wrong as usual, IWMTB.

Smokey

I'm convinced this shit is happening because of the parties involved in the trade. Theres obviously no way OKC and Presti could be had by the Rockets and Morey because the former is a genius and the latter is obviously a basketball idiot.

Yep. It's been very interesting seeing the media paint Kevin Martin as somebody other than who I watched for the last 2+ years.

reilo

The following players had a better PER than Martin last year:

Dunleavy, Thornton, Iguodala, Joe Johnson, Lou Williams... and James Harden.

The three players in Martin's PER range last year? Gerald Green, Jason Terry, and... Jamal Crawford.

KingGondo

Banned
If we're going by PER, I expect Martin's to go up to around 20.0 this year on the Thunder. His career average is 18.7 and just 2 years ago he put up 21.4 over 80 games.

Again--I'm not saying I'm thrilled to replace Harden with him, but the critcism surrounding Martin here is hyperbolic. This is by far the best team he's played on and his skills seem naturally suited to a sixth man role.

DY_nasty

If we're going by PER, I expect Martin's to go up to around 20.0 this year on the Thunder. His career average is 18.7 and just 2 years ago he put up 21.4 over 80 games.

Again--I'm not saying I'm thrilled to replace Harden with him, but the critcism surrounding Martin here is hyperbolic. This is by far the best team he's played on and his skills seem naturally suited to a sixth man role.

He's Antwan Jamison the shooting guard.

Expect Great.

Wait til you see him play.

If you ever learn anything reading this thread, stats lie.

linsivvi

Forget PER. linsivvi's statement that:

is simply false no matter how you spin it.

Yeah he's way better than Derek Fisher for sure.

I should've said he's among the least efficient offensive players who shoot a lot. That actually makes it worse because he'll take a lot more bad shots than Fisher.

Martin's stats are pretty bad. His RAPM sucks, his minutes are low despite limited overlap with his teammates, and his PER fell off a cliff after they banned the rip-through move (16.5 is pretty horrible for a volume scorer who doesn't defend or pass). His efficiency is a lot better than people in here are saying (much more efficient individually compared to guys like Melo or Joe or Griffin and on the level of Westbrook), but he's such a ballstopper that he can hurt his teams on offense.

Top Bottom