• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
First off there were debates last year regarding Bynum.

7vHhY.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lark was right until then.

1 hour to make that kind of decision (for the player, NOT the agent) is just a joke. And I know I'm not the only one who thought that KD, Harden, and YNB could've competed together for a decade like TD, Parker, Ginobli.

I don't think Harden and Dwight's competition has anything to do with Harden's offense or Dwight's defense. It does help Dwight a lot on offense and it should help Harden become passable on defense, but Dwight's legendary rim protection and rebounding isn't being affected by the lack of low post scorers in the NBA and Harden isn't going to be affected on offense by the lack of SGs in the NBA as the best perimeter defender on the other team is always going to be guarding him now regardless if that guy's a SG or SF (I think he'll still be awesome on offense though)

There's also a big difference between Dwight's advantage against other centers compared to Harden's advantage against other wings. If an opponent's SG sucks, Harden can hide on defense against him so he's not hurting the Rockets, but he's not really making a positive impact on defense because of his lack of competition. Meanwhile, if an opponent's center sucks, a team usually can't have their PF guard Dwight because Dwight will destroy the 6'7 guys that are mostly starting at PF now which allows Dwight to have a major positive impact because of his lack of competition.

Harden's a great player, but I don't think he has the defensive potential to come close to Dwight's level of impact and the differences in their positional advantages are huge and shouldn't be compared.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The only reason the magic got through the east that year was KG was down (still went 7), and the cavs had nobody besides Lebron. Everyone knew they were outmatched in that series going in. Rashard Lewis had an OK year, and Hedo was solid, but nothing special. Jameer Nelson is trash, and besides was injured until late in the playoffs that year. Rafer Alston is TRASH, and was their starting point guard in the finals. Brandon Bass is an OK player at the very best... what the hell are you building these guys up to be right now? That team was all Dwight and a handful of sharpshooters.

edit- omg again you're using the context of the league to prove your point. Hardens the best SG... yeah sure in a famine of SG... Orlando was the deepest team, again by default. Last year Phi was the deepest team in the East, definitely should've gone to the finals! If you took Dwight off of that Magic team, they wouldn't have got out of the first round.

The only reason the magic got through the east that year was KG was down (still went 7), and the cavs had nobody besides Lebron. Everyone knew they were outmatched in that series going in. Rashard Lewis had an OK year, and Hedo was solid, but nothing special. Jameer Nelson is trash, and besides was injured until late in the playoffs that year. Rafer Alston is TRASH, and was their starting point guard in the finals. Brandon Bass is an OK player at the very best... what the hell are you building these guys up to be right now? That team was all Dwight and a handful of sharpshooters.

Jameer Nelson put up Steve Nash shooting numbers before that injury. Brandon Bass wasn't even on the team yet and he's a fucking terrible player.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That 09 Magic team was good but wasn't even the best squad during that run. It wasn't even as close to being good as the team the year after, they just happened to catch some breaks like KG missing the playoffs and some guys playing out of their minds for a bit there.

Also fuck Courtney Lee. I'll never forgive his ass for botching that layup.

shira

So he wins by default? Wade and Kobe for sure have a few more years, and Manu is still his old injury prone self, well see how he does this year. Being "the best shooting guard" in the league when your only competition is Eric Gordon is laughable. It's the same concept of taking a position by need not talent when someone significantly more valuable was on the board.

You are too caught up in specialty positions for comparing guys
Right now there is basically:

big guys
wings
point guard

There are few old school centers left in the league. The rest are a mix of tweeners and what not.

Lebron changed everything by playing multiple positions. And Europe has been doing this forever. Even defences don't have 5v5, 4v4, 3v3, 2v2, 1v1.

So LBJ is by far the best "shooting guard"

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Man, the revisionist history of 2009 is hilarious. That Cavs team was literally dubbed the second coming of the '91 Bulls.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You are too caught up in specialty positions for comparing guys
Right now there is basically:

big guys
wings
point guard

There are few old school centers left in the league. The rest are a mix of tweeners and what not.

Lebron changed everything by playing multiple positions. And Europe has been doing this forever. Even defences don't have 5v5, 4v4, 3v3, 2v2, 1v1.

So LBJ is by far the best "shooting guard"

That's the thing I'm NOT caught up in it. These guys are using that particular argument to boost Hardens value. He's a solid player, don't get me wrong, but people in here are comparing his value to Dwight Howard now? Wtf is going on?

Raptors have one of the best benches in the league.

In the league.

You're all on notice. If all the starters on the other teams get hurt, it's go time.

That's the thing I'm NOT caught up in it. These guys are using that particular argument to boost Hardens value. He's a solid player, don't get me wrong, but people in here are comparing his value to Dwight Howard now? Wtf is going on?

Literally nobody said Harden is as valuable as Dwight Howard.

You can't seem to process that the NBA doesn't exist in a vacuum. You have to look at it season by season and in 2009 the NBA was pretty lacking in talent. You can only judge depth in one point and time by the other teams roster during that time. What can't you stuff in your head?

You had these contenders,

CAVS
Celtics
Magic

Lakers
Denver
SA

As I said, CLE was pretty lacking, KG was hurt and the Lakers were extremely top heavy.
The drop from the Lakers to Denver was pretty huge. Tell me, who was deeper than that team?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Man, the revisionist history of 2009 is hilarious. That Cavs team was literally dubbed the second coming of the '91 Bulls.

And the heat have been predicted by some (mostly LBJ) to break the bulls single season win record. Every year Lebrons teams are always predicted to be the next big thing... besides the Magic went to the finals during the 08-09 season. The magic was not that scary of a team... the Celtics were unstoppable that year until KG went down, I still don't even know what the hell it was that got his knee, but he was never the same after that game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You can't seem to process that the NBA doesn't exist in a vacuum. You have to look at it season by season and in 2009 the NBA was pretty lacking in talent. You can only judge depth by the other teams roster during that time.

You had these contenders,

CAVS
Celtics
Magic

Lakers
Denver
SA

As I said, CLE was pretty lacking, KG was hurt and the Lakers were extremely top heavy.
The drop from the Lakers to Denver was pretty huge. Tell me, who was deeper than that team?

I want to state first, I wasn't arguing depth. I'll say it again, Sixers were DEEP last year, didn't change they were a crap team overall. My original argument was that Magic team was trash... they were called a contender, but everyone knew it was between the Celts and Cavs for the east. They lucked their way into the finals where their luck ran out, period. This was the general consensus here when they made it.

And for the record to argue against the "depth"

Pg Rafer Alston- crap
SG Courtney Lee- Solid bench player
Sf Rashard- meh, mostly a shooter
PF Hedo- same deal
C Dwight- Amazing

Bench-
Pietrus- solid bench player
Reddick- crap
Gortat- Crap at the time
Who else again?

Beal ain't starting over Crawford?

He hasn't been during pre-season so far, maybe for a game. Crawford clearly needs to come off the bench, but I don't think he starts until Wall comes back.

When did Nene and Seraphin go down?

Seraphin was probably a freak accident, Nene = I got paid fuckitis

And yea, Webster is probably going to start alongside Beal eventually, because apparently Ariza is on some Odom "ya im mad i got traded" shit, which I'm fine with because we'll actually have some court spacing.

Wall can't handle 2 more years of tanking though--which is what we need, but not what we deserve.

Sanjuro

Stephen A. Smith was just on the local radio. When asked what he said that day, "I don't remember."

Amazed this guy has a job. At least it gives Jay Pharoah some material.

He hasn't been during pre-season so far, maybe for a game. Crawford clearly needs to come off the bench, but I don't think he starts until Wall comes back.

Seraphin was probably a freak accident, Nene = I got paid fuckitis
And yea, Webster is probably going to start alongside Beal eventually, because apparently Ariza is on some Odom "ya im mad i got traded" shit, which I'm fine with because we'll actually have some court spacing.

Wall can't handle 2 more years of tanking though--which is what we need, but not what we deserve.

lol

You guys have a shot at being decent for the first time in a while. I hope injuries don't bring you down. The East needs a new team (other than the Pacers) to step up and make the playoffs. I'm tired of the same old same old being in the running every year.

Also, Dy what do you think we're going to run with in our starting lineup? You may say I'm crazy but I want us to put our most athletic guys on the floor, all other concerns be damned. We go with: Kemba, Henderson, MKG, Tyrus, and Bismack and pull Tyrus and Biz the moment they fail to box out their man for a rebound. Our asstastic rebounding has to be a huge emphasis this season, that shit needs to end.

Top Bottom