• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nobility

Banned
Glad to have another NBA season.

Go Raptors, that 8th playoff spot is ours!
Please, I have nothing else to hope for in Toronto sports.

Still optimistic that OKC will contend again. The team will look different, but still has tons of talent and advantages over othe teams. 55+ wins and a top 3 seed should still definitely happen.

Curious to see whether Presti plans on keeping Martin or not.

I'd prefer him to make a move to stabilize the lineup with someone like Ben Gordon for the long term at a slightly lower cost than Harden. The earlier we can integrate a guy into the lineup for the long term, the better chance we have of winning this season.

I don't see how they don't contend. KD-WB is still one of the best one-two punches in the league and Martin as a third option is still better than what a lot of teams put out.

Ultratech

That time of year again, eh?

Wonder if the Mavs can pull off a win against the Lakers, who have been stinking up the preseason...

I'm sure that Miami Heat pic is supposed to be a reference to something, but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't see how they don't contend. KD-WB is still one of the best one-two punches in the league and Martin as a third option is still better than what a lot of teams put out.

Pretty much. Losing Harden was probably a hit, but I'd say they're still contenders until we see otherwise.

masud

Banned
The thread title works on so many levels.

Anyway...

nykbanners-1.jpg

Lets get it! Knicks are going all the way! (to the 2nd round) Too much savy.

Jazz's frontcourt is going to literally eat the frontcourts of other teams this year, it's going to be too easy.

Still optimistic that OKC will contend again. The team will look different, but still has tons of talent and advantages over other teams. 55+ wins and a top 3 seed should still definitely happen.

Curious to see whether Presti plans on keeping Martin or not.

I'd prefer him to make a move to stabilize the lineup with someone like Ben Gordon for the long term at a slightly lower cost than Harden. The earlier we can integrate a guy into the lineup for the long term, the better chance we have of winning this season.

They're worse than the Spurs and Lakers.
Probably worse than the Grizzlies
At the exact same level of the Clippers (the teams are shocking similar really)
And could finish behind the Nuggets and Jazz because of the massive differences in depth

Not seeing a top 3 seed as a should.

KingGondo

Banned
They're worse than the Spurs and Lakers.
Probably worse than the Grizzlies
At the exact same level of the Clippers (the teams are shocking similar really)
And could finish behind the Nuggets and Jazz because of the massive differences in depth

Not seeing a top 3 seed as a should.
The overall youth of the team will help (there's almost always a nice improvement via player development alone) and the role players like Sefolosha, Maynor and Collison should help elevate this team over teams like the Grizz and Clips.

Adjusting to Martin will take time, but it sounds like he's ready to embrace the bench role and fill it up when he comes in.

Dthomp

Well, OKC didn't win the title last year and now they're worse.

I don't really see how they are worse? Harden is a 12ppg player to Martins career 18.5 (I know Martin has been a starter) but as a big OKC fan Harden was crap when it mattered last year. They needed some vets that can game. Not to mention that having Maynor back to handle the backup PG means that Martin can handle the 2 for stretches and not just have Harden running around chucking up shots. Perkins (While I hated his season last year) is another year removed from major surgery and should be much better this year. Plus if Perry Jones or Jeremy Lamb contribute it will be major for another title run. I think once Martin figures out his role they'll be just fine, whether he finds a way into the starting lineup with Westbrook/Martin/Durant/Ibaka/Perkins but it's hard to say what will happen there because there were stretches where last years lineup had problems scoring.

KingKong

Miami is going to blow Boston out. Boston is not on their level, dont let the mediocre bench and role player pick ups fool you

KingGondo

Banned
I don't really see how they are worse? Harden is a 12ppg player to Martins career 18.5 (I know Martin has been a starter) but as a big OKC fan Harden was crap when it mattered last year. They needed some vets that can game. Not to mention that having Maynor back to handle the backup PG means that Martin can handle the 2 for stretches and not just have Harden running around chucking up shots. Perkins (While I hated his season last year) is another year removed from major surgery and should be much better this year. Plus if Perry Jones or Jeremy Lamb contribute it will be major for another title run. I think once Martin figures out his role they'll be just fine, whether he finds a way into the starting lineup with Westbrook/Martin/Durant/Ibaka/Perkins but it's hard to say what will happen there because there were stretches where last years lineup had problems scoring.
Thabo will stay the starter. Brooks (overly) values a consistent starting lineup and rotations, which is what killed us last year against Miami.

As long as Martin scores how he's capable of (and he'll be on the floor with KD for stretches, which will make it easier) I don't expect much of a difference in terms of win-loss record.

People also forget that Harden wasn't always consistent last year.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This is a damned good troll post.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Thabo will stay the starter. Brooks (overly) values a consistent starting lineup and rotations, which is what killed us last year against Miami.

As long as Martin scores how he's capable of (and he'll be on the floor with KD for stretches, which will make it easier) I don't expect much of a difference in terms of win-loss record.

You're right Kevin Martin is much more consistent. Consistent at being shit.

I don't think anyone doubt that Martin can score but can he also playmake like Harden does for the second unit? I actually believe that OKC will be fine though I don't think they'll be top 3, well that is to be seen.

KingGondo

Banned
For the record, I don't agree with my fellow OKC fan above that there's no dropoff in quality of the squad from Harden to Martin.

But I also don't think Harden's loss will affect our W-L record as much as people think. It could definitely hurt us in the playoffs in crunch time, though. Harden's presence really helped us in those situations.

DY_nasty

I don't think anyone doubt that Martin can score but can he also playmake like Harden does for the second unit? I actually believe that OKC will be fine though I don't think they'll be top 3, well that is to be seen.

Aside from Jamison, Martin is the most high character team cancer in the league. Has been since he was in Sacramento. All he does is make people around him worse.

linsivvi

I don't really see how they are worse? Harden is a 12ppg player to Martins career 18.5 (I know Martin has been a starter)

First of all 12.7 PPG is rounded to 13, not 12.

Secondly you are taking the first 3 seasons of Harden, in which he made big improvements every season and then claim he's a 13 PPG player? A bit disingenuous aren't you? Kevin Martin was also a 13 PPG player through 3 seasons (while starting in 1 1/2 of those seasons).

More importantly, Kevin Martin is one of the most inefficient offensive player in the league and does nothing on defense, while Harden is one of the most efficient offensive player. Have you even looked at their numbers from last season?

Gigglepoo

I don't really see how they are worse?

I actually kinda agree with you. I thought Harden was very overrated. Still, he could carry the second team, and I'm not sure Martin or Lamb can replace that. We'll see. I would love to see OKC roll and Houston tank just so Harden would realize that quibbling about a few million isn't worth leaving a top team.

DY_nasty

I actually kinda agree with you. I thought Harden was very overrated. Still, he could carry the second team, and I'm not sure Martin or Lamb can replace that. We'll see. I would love to see OKC roll and Houston tank just so Harden would realize that quibbling about a few million isn't worth leaving a top team.

The fuckball and Wade trolling has changed you.

fertygo

Harden is a loss, but some of you think like if Durant and Westbrook improving (they does every year) not gonna mean jackshit.. smh.

We talking about team that have top 3 and top 10 player here, and yet somehow Jazz and Javale McGee's team gonna finish above them.

Smokey

nice spin post on the first day of the season

Flash

Comparing career ppg stats of Martin with Harden is a joke. Harden brings so much more than Martin. For one, he's entering his prime and has been improving each year. He has gotten his stats while coming of the bench for a championship contender and essentially being a third option. He can do more that just shoot - he's got pretty good handles and play making ability. And this play making ability means you can have a pg in a line up with him and ynb instead of having to go small ball.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Harden is a loss, but some of you think like if Durant and Westbrook improving (they does every year) not gonna mean jackshit.. smh.

We talking about team that have top 3 and top 10 player here, and yet somehow Jazz and Javale McGee's team gonna finish above them.

Russell Westbrook top 10 player, what the fuck? Dude is barely a top 10 point guard.

Lifelong here... won't post here much of the season. But i'll be lurking and laughing at the meltdowns. Hope you guys don't get the thread locked.

BTW: Anyone but the Lakers or Heat please.

KingGondo

Banned
More importantly, Kevin Martin is one of the most inefficient offensive player in the league and does nothing on defense, while Harden is one of the most efficient offensive player.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sg/year/2012

That's simply not true. Martin was still a good offensive player last year.

It stands to reason that Martin's efficiency will go up on OKC as well, and that Harden's will go down in Houston.

(Again, NOT saying that Martin is better than Harden)

Mxrz

OKC is no longer a contender without Harden.

Wait, what? Outside of the always-crashing-Spurs & Miami, who is suppose to better than them?

DY_nasty

That's because the Thunder's offense has been shit without Harden on the court - and very, very, very few two man shows are worth talking about anymore. No one else on that team can score. Maynor, as good as he was, was only such an impact because outside of Harden he was the only guy who could run the offense.

Denver is a much deeper team that doesn't rely on less than a handful of players for all its scoring.

DY_nasty

OKC is no longer a contender without Harden.

Wait, what? Outside of the always-crashing-Spurs, who is suppose to better than them outside of Miami?

Lakers, Memphis (finally healthy), possibly the Clippers, and I expect Denver to seed higher than them as well.

Derrick01

Banned
It's going to be a long year for us Bulls fans. No Rose and they smashed the best bench in the league to pieces. Oh and Boozer is still here :(

Can we just forfeit the season?

Kevin Martin is not good at basketball, he's good at throwing a ball throw a hoop and getting to the free throw line. James Harden was good at basketball. So swapping the two makes the team who ends up with Martin, instead of Harden, worse.

That's all that really needs to be said.

fertygo

Russell Westbrook top 10 player, what the fuck? Dude is barely a top 10 point guard.

Dude... now that's bigger bullshit than all of this K-Mart talk.

Anyway I think Martin can just doing fine for help collecting W (i.e not gonna hampering Thunders record) against low-mid tier team, the fact he's worse player than Harden just gonna bothering a lot against decent-contender team.

Smokey

It's a contract year for Martin.. So despite him being shit he will put up decent numbers and fool someone into giving him another three years. Shit might even be the thunder

Top Bottom