• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

16079605952_e9909692ec_k_d.jpg

Filben

I don't want to be rude to critizise your screenshots, but I'm sort of disappointed with the visuals of this game. As for a title like MGS I have expected more. The textures have few fidelity, seem low-res and everything's looking like a plastic/sculpture, not really natural or organic. :(

Spazznid

I don't want to be rude to critizise your screenshots, but I'm sort of disappointed with the visuals of this game. As for a title like MGS I have expected more. The textures have few fidelity, seem low-res and everything's looking like a plastic/sculpture, not really natural or organic. :(

It's better in motion. At least as far as the "sculptures". But when have you played an MGS on PC that signified anything else? It looks grand, in my opinion, and non-moving pictures really can't do it justice. Beyond that, regardless of visuals, MGS will do just fine.

Spazznid

16081372342_245cf27aa7_o.png

16056287286_feccdb3f92_o.png

This chick goes on and on in Korean, and I might not know much korean, but I can tell a Krait sympathizer when I see one. I want nothing more than to throw her and her stupid outfit and her stupid swamp village, and their stupid Krait statues in the Krait-infested waters and laugh at them while they get ganged up on and misused by stupid Krait. Screw them all.

decyx

For one thing, he uploaded highly compressed jpegs.

How come you're tilting these shots?

It exaggerates speculars maybe a little too much. And I agree, the material rendering in that game is pretty disappointing (even in motion). There are moments when it looks good. I don't think the environment in Ground Zeroes is a particularly great showcase. I want to see the rest of the game... but I'm not optimistic that it's going to look that great.

merrickxx

Neo Member

Gotta remember that it was designed to run on consoles. The visuals are very, very basic. That said, considering just how simple much of the visual components are, the game still looks pretty good.

I'm hoping we can get some AA going in this damn game though.

Spazznid

Gotta remember that it was designed to run on consoles. The visuals are very, very basic. That said, considering just how simple much of the visual components are, the game still looks pretty good.

I'm hoping we can get some AA going in this damn game though.

It was designed to run 1080p 60 fps on consoles, no less.

I've been hovering over this thread for the good part of 4 months and it's really making me want to build a PC for 2015 but wouldn't have a clue where to start being a console gamer since Doom 3 first release and i nearly made my mums computer explode running it.

Bravo for every screenshot though. Highly entertaining.

I've been hovering over this thread for the good part of 4 months and it's really making me want to build a PC for 2015 but wouldn't have a clue where to start being a console gamer since Doom 3 first release and i nearly made my mums computer explode running it.

Bravo for every screenshot though. Highly entertaining.

We've got a fantastic starter guide at reddit's PC Master Race (yes - the term is a joke :p) subreddit here: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide

Misho, could you try to find ways to disable the HUD and use anti-aliasing in your shots?

Anyway, some of the shots here are absolutely phenomenal. I'm on holiday at the moment so I can only check the thread on my boyfriend's cheap laptop, but even still, I've been showing him some of the incredible work posted here and we're both consistently in awe, especially with those Star Citizen screenshots. I can't wait to get back to my rig and get some shots uploaded!

You wouldn't have to because there are many friendly users here willing to help if you stop by asking.

Quickly,

How much are we talking if i'm looking to get pretty much the next leap from the next gen consoles. 4k or whatever. Then with a decent hard drive - etc.

I'm being so brief i know cause i don't know too much, haha. Sorry!

merrickxx

Neo Member
Quickly,

How much are we talking if i'm looking to get pretty much the next leap from the next gen consoles. 4k or whatever. Then with a decent hard drive - etc.

I'm being so brief i know cause i don't know too much, haha. Sorry!

If you want 4K gaming (which isn't really a thing yet), you're going to be going highest tier, consumer grade GPU. If you want something that will outperform the consoles by a "step up" as you say, you could get something like a 770, and that would play a lot of modern games from 2013 and previous at 1440p.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme - is a good resource to get started, and there's a series of questions that will turn simple answers like "I wanna play such and such game at 60fps/ultra" and "I plan on doing some youtube video editing," into a full-fledged list of parts.

Firstly, you should establish a budget. $600? Doable, but not going to have a beastlymachine. $1000? Good, mid-tier gaming build with that. Maybe even "upper-tier" parts thrown in. $2000? Pretty much set for gaming for years and years. Of course, that's not how it ends up being for most people on PC though- you'll want to upgrade in a few years to stay on top, instead of just using the same hardware for 5 - 6 years.

PhilGPT

Here you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=944920
It will depend on the games you play of course. For around $1500 you can get a PC capable of 4K in a lot of games.
For more demanding games, stuff another GPU in there. And even then, its not guaranteed you'll be able to run 4K at acceptable FPS.

But it all depends on what games you play, and their optimization for PC.
I'm playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter at 4K/60FPS on a single GTX 970.

Filben

That depends heavily. 4k gaming for modern games is still in its childhood due to demanding graphics. So for proper gaming (at reasonable frame rates) you would need at least two graphics card and a 4k monitor (the selection isn't great, however) if you not downsampling 4k to lesser res. But for 1080p (and sometimes plus), decent anti-aliasing and FPS you would need roughly 700 bucks (may depend on your regional prices), e.g. with my rig I'm able to play Tomb Raider (2013) at 4k (TressFX disabled) with minimum of 30fps and 60fps tops. With a processor that costs 100 bucks now and a graphics card for roughly 250. Of course you can and probably should invest just slightly more. In case you have concerns about the relative high price comparing to console keep in mind the possibilies of a gaming PC even with keeping the exact same hardware like "backwards compatibility" of old games, new features providing by your graphics card manufactors and different ways to experience your games (controller AND mous/keyboard, Occulus Rift, TrackIR etc.). I don't mean to put down consoles (as I do own several, too) but just pointing some things out you get for your money. In short: versatility. If you have specific question I'd recommend to follow AnyoneInCherno's and PhilGPT's link in order no to hijack this thread ;)

Xyber

Well, it is still a cross-gen game and even though stuff is improved in the PC version it still shows. But it does look great in motion and performance is pretty good. Downsampling from 1440p and I still get 60fps maxed out with my 970, that helps a bit with the not so great FXAA.

I hope they improve on the out of control DoF in TPP, it can go a little crazy at times (especially when crawling under stuff).

Overall, I'm just glad we are getting MGS on PC. I wouldn't have complained if it was a straight port of the PS4 version, because that's better than nothing. :p

merrickxx

Neo Member
I'll be needing your Flickr account now. Gimme!

There's not much on it. I'm getting ready to organize and upload a few hundred GBs, sort things into albums and such, but here ya' go https://www.flickr.com/photos/128985676@N02/

I'll be doing a mass upload here in the next week, and albums/sorting after the new year. Got a bunch of crap just sitting local.

Also have another account with random stuff on it, but I couldn't access it so it's just sitting dormant haha.

Why is the Orc in the middle 's crotch area glowing orange ?

Hah. What happens in Shadow of Mordor when you freeze the game is that all screen space effects are also frozen. That includes sunglare and even the sunsprite location. So likely what happened was he froze the game, then moved the camera in such a way that the sun was behind the orc. But the sunsprite was still showing as if the orc wasn't there.

Top Bottom