• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

Spazznid

11718520276_573e55e3cf_o.jpg

Gah

Durante

Is it Dx9 only?
For now. DX11 (and of course OpenGL) would require their own separate paths (which are almost as much work as doing it from scratch). The basic method would work with any API of course, as long as the program asks Windows (and/or the graphics API) which resolutions it supports (and can therefore be lied to).

Stein3x

For now. DX11 (and of course OpenGL) would require their own separate paths (which are almost as much work as doing it from scratch). The basic method would work with any API of course, as long as the program asks Windows (and/or the graphics API) which resolutions it supports (and can therefore be lied to).

That's fantastic news,can't wait to try it once it's stable! I'm sure Neoenigma will make good use of this :p

Also @Spazznid you've nailed WarFrame ,that's some crazy ass IQ, love it

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Spazz - Seriously, you're killing it with these Warframe shots. Game looks smokin hot.

Yeah I am using JPGs for the next batch, but I am getting some odd shots that are actually smaller when they are compressed using max PNG.

That makes sense. PNG is much better with solid colors which a lot of your Mirrors Edge shots have.

When there's not a ton of tiny details and variation PNG is king
=p
but when there is a lot of detail like photographs or most games screenshots JPEG ends up with smaller file sizes.

Antichamber is a good showcase example.

Here's the PNG

Here's the JPEG

Because the image is a solid color PNG is able to compress it more effectively, with the JPEG being 496kb and the PNG being 373kb. In this instance they're both small but there are absolutely cases where, if it's an image with solid blocks of a single color or similar color the PNG ends up cutting on the JPEG a lot.

Generally though, for most examples, JPEG will end up smaller.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well, it's not yet stable or usable for the general public, but in theory you will be able to downsample from everything your GPU supports in terms of rendertarget size (usually 16k) in almost every DirectX9 game, and actually benefit from it (because of multi-level HQ downsampling) -- and use any target resolution and frequency for your output device (including 120 and 144 Hz, which are notoriously finicky for driver-level downsampling).

It's just not yet done (at all), and Ys Origin is my current test case. Also, it currently breaks stuff, most notably all overlays.

*collective thread orgasm*

Well, it's not yet stable or usable for the general public, but in theory you will be able to downsample from everything your GPU supports in terms of rendertarget size (usually 16k) in almost every DirectX9 game, and actually benefit from it (because of multi-level HQ downsampling) -- and use any target resolution and frequency for your output device (including 120 and 144 Hz, which are notoriously finicky for driver-level downsampling).

It's just not yet done (at all), and Ys Origin is my current test case. Also, it currently breaks stuff, most notably all overlays.
Damn Durante, stop being so awesome :p

Durante, you hero.

I finally died after a ~13 hr life in DayZ, in which I learned a great deal. Now I felt more free to manage low fps to get some nice shots. If ever there were a war-photography equivalent in screenshotting, this would be it, haha.

dayz_2014_01_02_18_22_21_868_by_roderickartist-d70jqgy.png

dayz_2014_01_02_18_25_45_328_by_roderickartist-d70jqki.png

(^ gameplay res surprise capture, hehe)

Durante

First time testing with another game (Bionic Commando Rearmed). Needed one fix, then it was good to go. (At glorious 8 FPS)

screenshot_2014-01-03q9jvy.png

screenshot_2014-01-03xlkqh.png

(gamma-correct multilevel bicubic downsampling 10k -> 1080p)

First time testing with another game (Bionic Commando Rearmed). Needed one fix, then it was good to go. (At glorious 8 FPS)

screenshot_2014-01-03q9jvy.png

HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS???!!

I know I could achieve similar results in a lot of games using SoftTH but that doesn't work for DX11 games.

Also, MrRoderick, those are decently pretty screens. Until now I thought that game looked absolutely hideous.

BONKERS

I hope it's at least at the level of Nvidia's built in downsampling.

SoftTH really is disappointing in my uses of it. Quality wasn't very good. Resulted in subpar IQ.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
The color looks better on the PNG. I can't be the only one noticing the color differences between that AC PNG/JPG comparison?

iNvid02

sort of lost the desire for screenshotting but it's still a pleasure to view the thread as usual. here's to a glorious 2014

Spazznid

Yeah, so... what monitors? Or maybe what connectors?

My monitor is 1080 native, and I can get it up to 3840x2160 but it craps out after that.

What Durante is doing is creating a hacky way of forcing programs to accept higher Resolutions as if they were default windows ones. It's a WIP so far, so only for him!

Top Bottom