• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

soontroll

Banned
Welcome! and awesome shots! Love the look of that game.

Badum-Tsss!

The actual game isn't very pretty to look at and most of the bike/rider liveries are mods done by the community but it's amazing what downsampling + free camera can do.

Spazznid

11711890424_0eeb51759a_o.png

The actual game isn't very pretty to look at and most of the bike/rider liveries are mods done by the community but it's amazing what downsampling + free camera can do.

I actually love the older look of it.

I_D

id software is a beast of a company.
3840x2160 with 8x AA and everything on high and it STILL runs at 60fps.

ic4.jpg

jc4.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
VisceraBowl, you have good, creative Mirror's Edge shots, and it's one of my alltime favorite games.

However, with all due respect, are you using the maximum (lossless) PNG compression level? Even the images that are mostly solid color are showing up about 8MB each for me, and hosted on flickr my lowly connection gets maybe 1MB/second.

Even with the 50 posts-per-page rule, if everyone posted 8MB PNGs, you'd maybe end up with 600-800 seconds (over 10 minutes) to load a single page, even more if everyone started using the three-images-per-post sideways format.

Some editors may have options to use the max PNG compression level (9 I think) which could help. 100% quality JPEG could be another option, if you want to do a test and see if its quality is acceptable.

On the bright side, at least you're not using minus image hosting, where I probably wouldn't even max out my download rate. :p

VisceraBowl, you have good, creative Mirror's Edge shots, and it's one of my alltime favorite games.

However, with all due respect, are you using the maximum (lossless) PNG compression level? Even the images that are mostly solid color are showing up about 8MB each for me, and hosted on flickr my lowly connection gets maybe 1MB/second.

After reading this post, I don't see any advantage to PNGs AT ALL. Except for archiving purposes on your hard drive.

Those 8MB PNGs could be 3 - 3.5MB JPGs with identical (!!!!!!!) quality. Identical.

Did I mention identical?

Blizzard

Banned
After reading this post, I don't see any advantage to PNGs AT ALL. Except for archiving purposes on your hard drive.

Those 8MB PNGs could be 3 - 3.5MB JPGs with identical (!!!!!!!) quality. Identical.

Did I mention identical?
It's actually even weirder in this case. I take back what I said about max PNG compression, since even on a fast computer, maybe converting to compression level 9 would be annoyingly slow, and it seemed to be only maybe 10% file size difference.

However, I opened that most recent 8MB white and red tiled Mirror's Edge screenshot, and resaved it as PNG (default compression level 6) in IrfanView. The result was a 1.5 MB PNG. I'm not sure what's causing the flickr one to be 5 times larger than that, unless they're very low level PNG compression or something.

Even with the 50 posts-per-page rule, if everyone posted 8MB PNGs, you'd maybe end up with 600-800 seconds (over 10 minutes) to load a single page, even more if everyone started using the three-images-per-post sideways format.

Some editors may have options to use the max PNG compression level (9 I think) which could help. 100% quality JPEG could be another option, if you want to do a test and see if its quality is acceptable.

On the bright side, at least you're not using minus image hosting, where I probably wouldn't even max out my download rate. :p

No I was not (I was on 1). I am sorry for anyone who was experiencing issues with this. I am changing my compression method to a different one.

Yeah I am using JPGs for the next batch, but I am getting some odd shots that are actually smaller when they are compressed using max PNG.

It's actually even weirder in this case. I take back what I said about max PNG compression, since even on a fast computer, maybe converting to compression level 9 would be annoyingly slow, and it seemed to be only maybe 10% file size difference.

However, I opened that most recent 8MB white and red tiled Mirror's Edge screenshot, and resaved it as PNG (default compression level 6) in IrfanView. The result was a 1.5 MB PNG. I'm not sure what's causing the flickr one to be 5 times larger than that, unless they're very low level PNG compression or something.

Using my original 4K shots and compressing down with level 9 was fairly fast, and resulted in file sizes of 1.5 - 4.5MB. Using the same sources and then using JPG produced sizes of 1 - 4.5 MB. I will stick to JPG for now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
A 3.5 mb JPEG would bring down the page load time to what 4 minutes for you? Maybe you shouldn't browse the thread then. I refuse to let this turn into the compressed mess that is the nextgen screenshot thread.

A 3.5 mb JPEG would bring down the page load time to what 4 minutes for you? Maybe you shouldn't browse the thread then. I refuse to let this turn into the compressed mess that is the nextgen screenshot thread.

Well that seems like an overreaction :p I thought I've seen you state several times that using max quality JPGs is perfectly acceptable (I could be wrong). That's all we're talking about.

Going from 8MB -> 3.5MB is a big difference in loading time for the same quality.

I just dug out a random screenshot to use as an example. 2560x1080 and still only 3MB. Identical to a PNG from the same screenshot.

11692860595_10d9da7658_o.jpg

(Assassin's Creed 4, if anyone was wondering)

Though I think a PNG with max lossless compression is pretty similar in size.

Blizzard

Banned
I gave specific numbers. We're not talking 8MB to 3.5MB, we're talking a single 8MB file going down to 1.5MB when both files are lossless PNGs.

Are you afraid that people are going to find some way to make PNGs lossy? :p VisceralBowl already explained the issue was using PNG compression level 1, not JPEG vs PNG. Level 6-9 PNGs are perfectly reasonable.

No I was not (I was on 1). I am sorry for anyone who was experiencing issues with this. I am changing my compression method to a different one.

Using my original 4K shots and compressing down with level 9 was fairly fast, and resulted in file sizes of 1.5 - 4.5MB. Using the same sources and then using JPG produced sizes of 1 - 4.5 MB. I will stick to JPG for now.
Thanks for checking, that makes sense. If it's easiest to stick with level 6 or higher PNG compression that should be perfectly reasonable. The JPEG change sounds like diminishing returns so I'm not sure it's even needed.

I updated the first shot with a Bicubic version, the other one keeps timing out when I upload it, so I will try to fix that later.

EDIT: Both are now the fixed versions.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The first image below may not show in all web browsers (works in Firefox) as it's in .ico format (for size), but you can right click and save it.

screenshot2thj1x.png

screenshot35qosbk.png

Thorgal

Rösti;95625688 said:
The first image below may not show in all web browsers (works in Firefox) as it's in .ico format (for size), but you can right click and save it.

screenshot2thj1x.png

screenshot35qosbk.png

Now i know how Skyrim would look like if you are playing while high :p

Spazznid

I never really dug deep into this game. Is this shot from a cutscene or something? Because that would be pretty damn impressive for something out of regular gameplay.

Technically a cutscene.

Well, when you begin a match, and are waiting for others to join, or vote, you are presented with a Diorama of your character, along with the characters of the other players in your group. The Diorama is different depending on what level, enemies, and mission type you are doing. That particular diorama is for an Exterminate mission against the Corpus enemies. The three characters are (from left to right) Mag, Nyx, and Nova.

While that isn't a mid-mission screen, the animations are all regular game animations, and the scene it self could POSSIBLY happen. Some of the Dioramas are more impossible to pose for in game though. Although, it's not like the Dioramas are using special assets. That is what the game looks like.

Now for more!

11717905074_e1e6bcb790_o.jpg

11717536275_b9a81463ce_o.jpg

Durante

So are you able to Downsample from 6K+ in other things? The way you made it sound earlier seemed like you could.
Well, it's not yet stable or usable for the general public, but in theory you will be able to downsample from everything your GPU supports in terms of rendertarget size (usually 16k) in almost every DirectX9 game, and actually benefit from it (because of multi-level HQ downsampling) -- and use any target resolution and frequency for your output device (including 120 and 144 Hz, which are notoriously finicky for driver-level downsampling).

It's just not yet done (at all), and Ys Origin is my current test case. Also, it currently breaks stuff, most notably all overlays.

Stein3x

Well, it's not yet stable or usable for the general public, but in theory you will be able to downsample from everything your GPU supports in terms of rendertarget size (usually 16k) in almost every DirectX9 game, and actually benefit from it (because of multi-level HQ downsampling) -- and use any target resolution and frequency for your output device (including 120 and 144 Hz, which are notoriously finicky for driver-level downsampling).

It's just not yet done (at all), and Ys Origin is my current test case. Also, it currently breaks stuff, most notably all overlays.

This sounds really interesting , it kinda reminds me of SofTH method which i think the limit was around 8k (the development stopped 3-4 years ago) & works best with Unreal Engine games.Is it Dx9 only?

Top Bottom