• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 PC Screenshot Thread of No Compromises

Been a while since I've uploaded anything. Putting that gtx 1080 to work. All photos at 1440p

Dishonored

5eYb.png

Are shaders always written to take every possible rendering resolution into account or do they have hardcoded values?

So a bloom shader has a pixel with a certain value that triggers interpolation with a color on the surrounding pixels at a fixed distance that is defined in pixels rather than a dynamic rendering resolution based value, looks okay at 1080p and few resolutions above that, but the more you go higher the less noticeable the bloom becomes because it's now too small to be even visible?

Is that possible or is that not how shaders work generally? I believe there are shaders in ReShade that work on such a system, I could be mistaken though.

dr_rus

It's less pronounced here but I honestly was expecting Ansel to be more like an interactive overlay on top of the existing game settings. Defeats the purpose if some settings are borked.

You can use Ansel on top of DSR or some other SSAA. You're not forced to make supersampled shots only even though this is one of advantages of Ansel over other methods so it's a bit sad that it doesn't work well with game's PP shaders.

OtisInf

Are shaders always written to take every possible rendering resolution into account or do they have hardcoded values?

So a bloom shader has a pixel with a certain value that triggers interpolation with a color on the surrounding pixels at a fixed distance that is defined in pixels rather than a dynamic rendering resolution based value, looks okay at 1080p and few resolutions above that, but the more you go higher the less noticeable the bloom becomes because it's now too small to be even visible?

Is that possible or is that not how shaders work generally? I believe there are shaders in ReShade that work on such a system, I could be mistaken though.
Often they use a 'relative' value which is calculated using the screen's resolution and a pre-defined 'starting resolution' (e.g. 1920x1080). Reshade offers a pixelsize variable which one should use to calculate pixel offsets with. Of course not all shaders do that, so if a shader simply does e.g. a block blur with hardcoded offsets then things go wrong at high resolutions. In TW3 shaders seem to scale well over resolutions, at least I haven't seen weird artifacts pop up when I switched to a higher DSR resolution.

@batman2million: you don't need to quote pictures which have normal aspect ratios. ;)

nms2016-08-1616-01-095pk1u.jpg

nms2016-08-1517-41-23b5k3n.jpg

Just from my experience the more diverse/interesting stuff has been on moons, while the planets have been really kind of "samey", even in red/green/blue star systems.

midhras

Basically Ansel appears to be something that is going to have to be tailored to a specific engine, or rather a specific game. I bet the people at Nvidia tried hard to have effects like bloom, AO, and the water shader scale or work better for The Witcher 3 at high resolutions, but finally gave up. In the end, they had to release, even though as it stands it's hardly something you would use to make the game look better. Perhaps things will improve. Perhaps Ansel can do better for other games? We'll just have to see.

Also, you can't blame the people at Nvidia for the problems we're seeing now. If you run The Witcher 3 at very high resolutions via more conventional means (like custom resolutions) you're seeing some of the same issues (with DOF, bloom, AO, sunrays).

That said, I just bet there are people who will call Ansel shots of the Witcher 3 a vast improvement. There always are.

dr_rus

Basically Ansel appears to be something that is going to have to be tailored to a specific engine, or rather a specific game. I bet the people at Nvidia tried hard to have effects like bloom, AO, and the water shader scale or work better for The Witcher 3 at high resolutions, but finally gave up. In the end, they had to release, even though as it stands it's hardly something you would use to make the game look better. Perhaps things will improve. Perhaps Ansel can do better for other games? We'll just have to see.

Also, you can't blame the people at Nvidia for the problems we're seeing now. If you run The Witcher 3 at very high resolutions via more conventional means (like custom resolutions) you're seeing some of the same issues (with DOF, bloom, AO, sunrays).

That said, I just bet there are people who will call Ansel shots of the Witcher 3 a vast improvement. There always are.
Ansel is a free camera with no HUD first, everything else second. You can take a regular non-supersampled shot with it. It will have in-game graphics.

midhras

That's right of course. And I'm glad it's here, don't misunderstand. Let's just hope Ansel will also give us these options in games where we don't already have them.

dr_rus

Do Ansel deactivate postprocessing only when screencapturing or is it as soon as you active the free camera?

Only when capturing a supersampled (or 360 probably) shot as it renders the viewpoint in tiles and combines them after that breaking any screen space shaders in the process as there are no common screen space for a tiled shot.

Do Ansel deactivate postprocessing only when screencapturing or is it as soon as you active the free camera?

The post processing doesn't get deactivated. In those comparisons I posted, both shots were captured with Ansel's free camera activated. It's that these shaders do not scale up with resolution. They were probably intended to look good at 1920x1080 or some such, and you lose some of the effect the higher you go. At 4K - 6K, you still lose some of it, but it's not immediately as noticeable to me as it is in these tiledshots.

The advantage you have from downsampling conventionally is that, if you want, you can use ReShade to inject some of your own post processing (bloom, AO, DoF, etc). Then just use Ansel for the free camera. However, that's hardly exciting considering there's already a fantastic free camera that works with a controller available with mods.

Like Midhras said, Ansel would be best for games that do not already have free camera tools available. I'd use Ryse as an example, but One3rd seems to be cracking that one. Still, a lot of CryEngine games could use it.

Often they use a 'relative' value which is calculated using the screen's resolution and a pre-defined 'starting resolution' (e.g. 1920x1080). Reshade offers a pixelsize variable which one should use to calculate pixel offsets with. Of course not all shaders do that, so if a shader simply does e.g. a block blur with hardcoded offsets then things go wrong at high resolutions. In TW3 shaders seem to scale well over resolutions, at least I haven't seen weird artifacts pop up when I switched to a higher DSR resolution.

Interesting, thanks.

28429118364_bb1b2cd05f_o.jpg

28973710081_6b132116e0_o.jpg

Top Bottom