• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup | July 7-26 2017 | OT | [Insert pun]

so_good.jpg

so_good.jpg

so_good.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Altidore was looking more ripped than normal somehow.

Best game for the US by far. I wonder how much rotation Arena will have for the final.

With any luck he finds someone to replace Arriola. Outside of that I can't imagine him changing much given this was the US's best game so far.

Mory Dunz

Demspey hit 57 goals in 21 games fewer than Landon D.

Donovan was playing on the wing for a lot longer than Dempsey did.
He wasn't in the team positionally as the main scoring threat until late in his career.

With any luck he finds someone to replace Arriola. Outside of that I can't imagine him changing much given this was the US's best game so far.

I wish.
but who do we even bring in. Zardes who somehow has even less control?

At least with Arriola it doesn't look like the speed of the game is the problem. He is just wasteful. But he is also fast, aggressive, and can turn the corner on anyone so hopefully he can develop into a solid contributor.

I think Arena is going to pull one out of the bag and start Dax if Mexico makes the final.

F34R

Donovan was playing on the wing for a lot longer than Dempsey did.
He wasn't in the team positionally as the main scoring threat until late in his career.

I wish.
but who do we even bring in. Zardes who somehow has even less control?
No doubt it isn't that big a deal, it was just something the hosts were talking about. 21 games, it's a decent number; even If you factor in player position, etc.

I think, even though he's not the main attack, Pulisic is going to take the top scorer role in time.

Mory Dunz

No doubt it isn't that big a deal, it was just something the hosts were talking about. 21 games, it's a decent number; even If you factor in player position, etc.

yeah. He's definitely a better goal scorer than donovan ever was.

At least with Arriola it doesn't look like the speed of the game is the problem. He is just wasteful. But he is also fast, aggressive, and can turn the corner on anyone so hopefully he can develop into a solid contributor.

I think Arena is going to pull one out of the bag and start Dax if Mexico makes the final.

What do you mean by speed of game? I think he makes bad decisions. Which happens when you feel rushed imo. He is defeinitely aggressive and has a great motor, but I disagree about turning a corner.

He can beat guys when he's faced up, and has good straight line speed, but the only person I saw who could turn a defender with ball control and acceleration was Nagbe.

What do you mean by speed of game? I think he makes bad decisions. Which happens when you feel rushed imo. He is defeinitely aggressive and has a great motor, but I disagree about turning a corner.

He can beat guys when he's faced up, and has good straight line speed, but the only person I saw who could turn a defender with ball control and acceleration was Nagbe.

That is a valid point, his decision making has been poor. For turning the corner I meant getting the separation for a cross on the wing.

Mory Dunz

That is a valid point, his decision making has been poor. For turning the corner I meant getting the separation for a cross on the wing.

then yeah, I agree with you. He got into crossing positions well several times.

I wish more people could turn defenders and go. I realize it's not easy, but it feels like only Nagbe, Dempsey, and Pulisic can do it in our pool right now.
and maybe bobby wood.

It's such as essential skill when defenders get tight. Altidore would be so much better as a striker if he could.

So do I root for Jamaica to upset Mexico so the match will be easier for the US in the finals or do I pull for Mexico to beat Jamaica so we get a really good final featuring CONCACAFs 2 best teams

Blue Lou

Who knows. I'll be missing it because of that since I'll be heading to the Real Madrid vs Manchester City game.

I bet you're pretty annoyed paying all that money only to find that Ronaldo isn't playing.

Despite making this OT, I've found this Gold Cup tournament pretty underwhelming. This is the final one in the 12-team format too.

I bet you're pretty annoyed paying all that money only to find that Ronaldo isn't playing.

Despite making this OT, I've found this Gold Cup tournament pretty underwhelming. This is the final one in the 12-team format too.
How is it going to be next time? Are they going to add more??? With 12 this tournament is already too long and too much of a shitshow! What does CONCACAF want now?

Also this tourney needs to be every 4 years like Copa America and Eurocup. Every 2 is just unnecessary. They only make it so CONCACAF can filltheir pockets more.

Icolin

Banned
What about a CONMEBOL and CONCACAF joint competition (like Copa America Centenario) every four years, and Gold Cup every four years as well? So every two years, there's either the CONMEBOL and CONCACAF competition or Gold Cup.

F34R

What about a CONMEBOL and CONCACAF joint competition (like Copa America Centenario) every four years, and Gold Cup every four years as well? So every two years, there's either the CONMEBOL and CONCACAF competition or Gold Cup.

That's not a bad idea... I like it.

Expecting Jamaica to park the bus again. Hope we can break it this time so that they are forced to attack which would give us more space to attack.

Planned:

2019 - 16 team Gold Cup
2020 - CONCACAF/CONMEBOL combined tournament
2021 - Gold Cup

Youre proposing this or you're saying they're officially planning this? Isnt Brazil planning a 16 team Copa America in 2019? Whats the point of making another 16 team one the very next year then other than hosting it in the US? CONCACAF really needs to either eliminate the GC or have it at least every 4.

Last year's Copa America Centenario was the most successful one ever. I'd be all for just having this every 4 years and eliminate the regular CONMEBOL Copa America and the Gold Cup. Plus it happening on the same year as the Eurocup made for some awesome summer days last year where we'd get Eurocup games in the morning/noon and Copa America in the afternoon/evening!

Also a 16 team GC is a terrible idea! We have 12 teams now and the level of play is horrible as it is!

Top Bottom