• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision's Deadpool, Spider-Man, and X-Men games disappear from digital stores

Cronox

Banned
Just bought it on Gamefly. Buying it at $10 (the 20% coupon expired) hurts because I would have normally waited for it to go lower, and because I don't want to finance Activision, but I had a passing interest in the game and would never play it on consoles. So there, you got $10 out of me, Activision, good job.

Metalmarc

Its cheesy in places, cringeworthy, corny slightly cheap, not the greatest game ever?
Well it's a deadpool game, i wouldnt expect more from it.

Glad i got it.

Elvick

Banned
Wonder if they're going to remove the Marvel DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2/Vita/Karting.

I don'tsee why license holders are so strict with them at times. You'd think they'd want to renew and continue to make money off a previous deal, rather than not.

I want to get this game, but it's still too much for me. $20 or less. Hopefully the lack of digital availability doesn't affect it's retail price dropping. Canadian sellers on amazon.ca seem to think anything is worth over $60 if it's out of print it seems. Even mediocre games. People be dumb.

Slayven

Save yourself the money adn buy a the complete run of "Cable and Deadpool" Back when DP had not overstayed his welcome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wonder if they're going to remove the Marvel DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2/Vita/Karting.

I don't why license holders are so strict with them at times. You'd think they'd want to renew and continue to make money off a previous deal, rather than not.

I think that licences expiring almost universally meaning that the content created and released within the period can no longer distributed is a very dated practice. In a perfect world it would just result in a developer/publisher being unable to produce new content.

Now heres a question. If Disney are trying to reign in all the licenses, what happens to Marvel Heroes? Its not even like with Deadpool where if you grab a copy now you're safe, since if the license goes, I can imagine they'll turn off the servers. Would be a shame for it to end as its a decent loot-em-up.

Xian

Neo Member
Fuck it. Gamefly code for 20% off GFDDEC20

RSC5ZXZ.jpg

This is kind of (well, completely) off topic but can anyone tell were I can find these icons in Steam?

Those are perfect for the start menu but I just can't find them anywhere in my Steam folders.

Crownjo

Now heres a question. If Disney are trying to reign in all the licenses, what happens to Marvel Heroes? Its not even like with Deadpool where if you grab a copy now you're safe, since if the license goes, I can imagine they'll turn off the servers. Would be a shame for it to end as its a decent loot-em-up.

Marvel Heroes is quite big.

@Doomsaw said: we aren't going to stop anytime soon - we have a 10 year license with Marvel and intend to make good use of it.

@Doomsaw said: We extend the license and keep going. It's been a good marketing tool for them and fun for us, no reason to ever stop.

itxaka

Defeatist
That terrible Yaris XBLA game.

Which got me thinking, any XBLA/PSN exclusive that'll remain exclusive can become a prime candidate to fit your bill.

You can dowload Yaris, thanks to pirates :s

Worst is PS3 PSN games, I don't think all of them have been cracked/pirated/stored digitally for the future, which means that in a few years we could lost them forever, which sucks :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
played it on my bro's 360... game isn't shit, but by far far far it is the definition of average aside from the script/comedy.

Still, picked it up for $30 physical just now on Amazon. Don't need another MUA2 happening here.

Marvel stuff has vanished once the license ended long before Disney bought them, so I have a hard time pinning the blame on the Mouse.
This.

It's getting annoying seeing a lot of people just trusting stupid misinformation because they're unhappy with something.

On topic though, I liked this game. It was fun and solid enough to get me to finish it. Some of the gags were brilliant as well.

JaseC

This is kind of (well, completely) off topic but can anyone tell were I can find these icons in Steam?

Those are perfect for the start menu but I just can't find them anywhere in my Steam folders.

Steam doesn't store them locally. Either:

- Replace the app id in this link http://cdn4.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/220160/header_292x136.jpg?t=1367939960 (220160) with the app id of the games you want. Perhaps the easiest way to quickly determine a game's app id is load up your "All Games" tab and hover over each item, or
- Use this Python script

GuitarAnthony

Neo Member
Is it possible Disney is just pulling all the Marvel licenses back? Capcom just had to pull the Marvel/Capcom games off of PSN/XBLA, after all.

Could be that Marvel licenses out its characters on a per-game basis and the former two contracts expired.
Yup. I think it was in an interview before the release of Vanilla MvC3 when Spider-Man was first revealed for the game, I think it was Seth Killian cleared that up. Someone asked him how they got the license for Spidey seeing as an Acti game had just been released with Spider-Man (Shattered Dimensions?).

He stated that Marvel licenses out their characters game by game and the reason Spidey was revealed so late was because Japanese audiences liked Spider-Man the most out of Marvel's library.

ChronoX

Just a head's up for all those who are currently making a last minute grab at buying Deadpool. Be sure to get the DLC here

Also would it be a good idea to buy LEGO Marvel Super Heroes before that gets removed as well? It's currently on sale on Amazon for $11.99.

Now I'm worried about ALL things Marvel being removed. What about all the DLC for Pinball FX2 here

Just a head's up for all those who are currently making a last minute grab at buying Deadpool. Be sure to get the DLC here

Also would it be a good idea to buy LEGO Marvel Super Heroes before that gets removed as well? It's currently on sale on Amazon for $11.99.
That game just came out like 3 months ago, it'll be fine for at least another 3 months.

Marvel seems to be calling back everything. Still kinda insane to me that companies making licensed games don't have some sort of right to always sell the game as long as x% royalty per unit sold goes back to the IP holder.

Ridley327

Marvel seems to be calling back everything. Still kinda insane to me that companies making licensed games don't have some sort of right to always sell the game as long as x% royalty per unit sold goes back to the IP holder.

IIRC, Activision has the Spider-Man license until 2017, but I think there's more of a case to be made over them wanting to hold onto that one due to the character's popularity, and the fact that Sony's schedule for the films makes it easy for them to have something out in time. The writing was on the wall for the X-Men license after the X-Men Destiny fiasco.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Whats wrong with Armada?

Oh just unpatched and not playable on modern machines. Not a huge deal but these games are all Activision with Star Trek license.

Compare to LucasArts who put most Star Wars licenses up somewhere for DD, patched and ready to run.

Armada 1 is such a lost cause to get working even the fans have moved on to recreating the engine.

Since it doesn't seem to have been posted yet, new Gamefly discount codes for January

GFDJAN20 - if you're buying from the US store (20% off which comes out to $8)
GFDJAN20UK - if you're buying from the UK store (20% off, 6 pounds).

I can confirm that the US code works. Just bought it a few minutes ago for $8.

JaseC

Did anyone care to buy it until now ? (I still don't)

I bought it some months ago precisely because I knew this was likely to occur. I don't trust Acti to hold on to its licensed games.

(Please reobtain the Soldier of Fortune licence so I get my mittens on Payback, Acti!)

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Looked like a shitty game anyway, have fun making no money Deadpool devs.

Oh don't worry. You know Activision. They already laid off a shitload of people at High Moon.

Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to [insert studio name].

EDIT: Beaten. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh just unpatched and not playable on modern machines. Not a huge deal but these games are all Activision with Star Trek license.

Compare to LucasArts who put most Star Wars licenses up somewhere for DD, patched and ready to run.

Armada 1 is such a lost cause to get working even the fans have moved on to recreating the engine.

The problem is that in the end, Activision sued Paramount for "ruining" the Star Trek franchise and causing them to lose "value" in the license. Given that history, I'm not surprised both companies are perfectly fine to let all those Star Trek games die.

I don't even know what to think of the Interplay Star Trek games... maybe no one even cares about those ones.

I'm kinda shocked at these replies. The game was good, it was probably the funniest game ever made, that's not hyperbole. In terms of how many LOLs I had during the campaign, it was easily the funniest I've played. Also, the OT has like the opposite impressions from this thread. Mostly everyone enjoyed it. The gameplay is fine. These "horrible", "worst game of 2013" posts are just ridiculous hyperbole.

antitrop

I'm kinda shocked at these replies. The game was good, it was probably the funniest game ever made, that's not hyperbole. In terms of how many LOLs I had during the campaign, it was easily the funniest I've played. Also, the OT has like the opposite impressions from this thread. Mostly everyone enjoyed it. The gameplay is fine. These "horrible", "worst game of 2013" posts are just ridiculous hyperbole.

... The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts OT had positive impressions. Every OT for a mediocre game is always the few that actually paid full price for the game on release saying "It's not as bad as everyone is saying!", while everyone else ignores the game to play something better.

See: Remember Me, Lost Planet 3, Ryse, Knack, FUSE OTs also last year.

Imbarkus

Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to [insert studio name].

I just did this for EA in the "Plants Vs Zombies Changes" thread:

Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to High Moon Studios.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Radical Entertainment.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infinity Ward.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Neversoft.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Sierra.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to RedOctane.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Luxoflux.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Bizarre Creations.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infocom.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Blizzard.

...I knew I would find an excuse to do Activision pretty soon.

AwShucks

Save yourself the money adn buy a the complete run of "Cable and Deadpool" Back when DP had not overstayed his welcome.

This is where I fell in love with both Cable and Deadpool. At this point I still read anything with Cable in it but have dropped the current Deadpool comic sadly. The game was fantastic though.

Nokterian

I just did this for EA in the "Plants Vs Zombies Changes" thread:

Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to High Moon Studios.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Radical Entertainment.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infinity Ward.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Neversoft.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Sierra.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to RedOctane.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Luxoflux.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Bizarre Creations.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Infocom.
Activision is the worst thing that ever happened to Blizzard.

...I knew I would find an excuse to do Activision pretty soon.

Crosspost from that other thread but this hurts also mutch. And yeah that Activision influence towards Blizzard is no good at all.

This is very similar to how 007 Legends went. Just up and vanished. Which sucks because I want these games, even if they are bad, I just want to pay $5 or less.

Gameboy415

Deadpool for Steam is Currently Unavailable on Amazon now. :(
I'm glad I caught wind of the de-listing and bought a copy last night!!

Opinions seem to be pretty divisive in this thread, but I got the (retail) PS3 version back at launch and loved it.
The game-play certainly isn't the best in the genre, but it's still quite fun and is one of the funniest games I've ever played.

Top Bottom