• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activisions mis-information on Nuketown Exclusivity to Game.co.uk in the UK

The most baffling thing about this is that retailer exclusives are supposed to help particular retailers get more sales than others, at the expense of consumers.
Except with an unreadable message like this one, people won't even know they should shop at GAME if they absolutely want that bonus, so the consumer fucking becomes entirely gratuitous.

Tak3n

Banned
I've just checked my shopto pre order.... It does not mention anything about Nuketown. I am going to be very pissed if my copy does not include the Nuketown code !!

I ordered from them as well, and they have said theirs does not contain Nuketown :(

Had a feeling this would be the case, complete BS but i'm not too fussed since Nuketown is too chaotic for my tastes.
That said, would Nuketown come with the season pass?

Hasney

Had a feeling this would be the case, complete BS but i'm not too fussed since Nuketown is too chaotic for my tastes.
That said, would Nuketown come with the season pass?

It doesn't mention it, but the OP mentions that it's exclusive until Spring 2016. Might be part of it, or might be separate DLC when it properly launches.

Dunkers92

sorry no offence, but are you saying that you guys wont insist on the codes being returned as well?

I think that depends entirely on the situation, the store, who is serving etc.

But for example, if someone buys the game, gets the code and then literally turns around to return the game, I think the store is completely within its right to ask for the code back. I don't think that is remotely "cuntish" but that's my opinion

jiggles

Banned
Do you get Nuketown if you go digital in the UK?

You do indeed.

nuketownrbpza.png

Tak3n

Banned
I think that depends entirely on the situation, the store, who is serving etc.

But for example, if someone buys the game, gets the code and then literally turns around to return the game, I think the store is completely within its right to ask for the code back. I don't think that is remotely "cuntish" but that's my opinion

yeah, that is, I mean people who order online, get emailed the code then return the game sealed to store?

They'll be forced give the map out for free as they've pretty much lied in their advertising.

Mind you, this Activision and COD, they are the reason why "not gameplay" is legally shown on CG commercials after their COD2 shenanigans.

JoshHood

The really shitty thing is the way Activision are talking about this. Their support page specifically for this issue says that all pre-orders get Nuk3town, with no mention of only specific retailers offering it:

Please note: All players who pre-order or pre-purchase Call of Duty: Black Ops III on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC will receive the NUK3TOWN Bonus Map for Call of Duty: Black Ops III multiplayer, including players who pre-ordered or pre-purchased prior to the announcement of NUK3TOWN.
Source: https://support.activision.com/arti...tle:Call_of_Duty_Black_Ops_III&fs=Search&pn=1

The hell, my preorder at an non-game store(webhallen here in Sweden) says that nuketown is included.

Is this some kinda UK only thing?

jiggles

Banned
From the UK store? Weird how the store pages don't mention it at all, either the standard of digital deluxe.

Yep. Deluxe edition on the UK Store.

If I was to make a guess, I'd say all preorders get the map, GAME preorders get the personalisation pack, and after it's out, you can only get the map at GAME until it's DLC.

I mean, the code is in the box of the initial shipments, not an add-on code on your receipt or an "outside the case" add-on. Do they often have a totally different shipment of the basic game for different retailers? That sounds like a nightmare.

The fact that their wording says "including players who pre-ordered or pre-purchased prior to the announcement of NUK3TOWN" makes it impossible for this to be a retailer-specific preorder bonus.

BibiMaghoo

They will have to release it for all if they have advertised it as being with a copy. Otherwise someone with more time and sense will challenge it.

Lucifon

This is bullshit, but I thought people knew about this. It says GAME exclusive on GAME's website, and has for a long time. Just another bullshit exclusivity from GAME.

The bigger issue though is Activision have been saying anyone who preorders the game will get Nuketown, when that's not the case at all.

Hobohodo

If I was to make a guess, I'd say all preorders get the map, GAME preorders get the personalisation pack, and after it's out, you can only get the map at GAME until it's DLC.

I mean, the code is in the box of the initial shipments, not an add-on code on your receipt or an "outside the case" add-on. Do they often have a totally different shipment of the basic game for different retailers? That sounds like a nightmare.

Sometimes yeah, quite a few games last gen had a GAME Exclusive badge on the box art. In the case of Nuketown it's a code on recipts though.

Hasney

Well ShopTo are already saying they do not have it in the box. I assume that if they're making them for Game who will likely order the biggest shipment, it's not too bad to only do a batch for them.

This is bullshit, but I thought people knew about this. It says GAME exclusive on GAME's website, and has for a long time. Just another bullshit exclusivity from GAME.

The bigger issue though is Activision have been saying anyone who preorders the game will get Nuketown, when that's not the case at all.

You see the thing is, I am busy with life, and I dont have the time to check GAME website regularly. I saw the Nuketown trailer two days ago, got hyped and pre-ordered the game from Shopto.
If the trailer noted that the map is exclusive the GAME, I would have pre ordered from them.

I'm probably not even going to buy BOPs3 but this is just disgusting tactics once again by GAME! they over price their exclusive content and anything that is looking to be popular by a considerable margin

Its equally as disgusting publishers let GAME have exclusivity when they always overcharge, it reflects badly on everyone

jiggles

Banned
Eurogamer has a story about it

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-black-ops-3-nuketown-map-is-a-game-exclusive

The UK gaming retail market is fucked up

Well there it is:

GAME UK Exclusive for 'NUK3TOWN' content applies to physical or 'boxed' copies of Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Standard Edition on PS4, XB1 and PC only. Limited time only, while stocks last. 'NUK3TOWN' content is also available by ordering (or pre-ordering) the PS4 console bundle, the hardened and Juggernog Editions or through any digital orders/pre-orders. Actual platform availability and launch date(s) to be determined. Internet connection required.

Non-standard copies or digital copies all get it. Standard editions only get it at GAME. Pre-order venn-diagram bullshittery at work again.

JoshHood

The fact that their wording says "including players who pre-ordered or pre-purchased prior to the announcement of NUK3TOWN" makes it impossible for this to be a retailer-specific preorder bonus.

I hadn't thought of that - that would be super-duper shitty if true then.

any digital orders/pre-orders.

Sounds like maybe you'll be able to get it if you buy digitally even after release? I can't pre-order on PSN because it thinks I already have, despite not being in my purchase or download histories, or library.

Dunkers92

I'm probably not even going to buy BOPs3 but this is just disgusting tactics once again by GAME! they over price their exclusive content and anything that is looking to be popular by a considerable margin

Apart from the fact this false advertising is all Activision and nothing to do with GAME.

People really do reach to hate on GAME sometimes

Keep on keeping on games industry.

Gonna keep on keeping on as long as people support all their nonsense.

Also can we also talk about how ridiculous it is that in a franchise that has a new release every year they're willing to split the playerbase up even further with dlc maps that are ready to play before the game is even out?

Fuck Activision, surely?

Nah, GAME's only reason for existence is pretty much securing exclusives and fucking over UK gamers. Activision is supplying the code evenly in most other regions right?

GAME has leverage because the lack of competition in UK retail so they can do whatever they want.

I am 99% positive that when i looked at CoD:BO3 a few weeks back it said that "Nuketown" was "only available at GAME"

I hope this doesn't once again start a GAME hate thread, this was entirely Activisions decision, there is no way GAME could've forced this on Activision.
I doubt anyone is driving pre-orders and season passes for this game as much as GAME. Forced isn't the word I'd use but I'm sure they could present a highly persuasive argument that a GAME exclusive is a good idea. Who else is going to be doing midnight openings for this game?

It's sort of like the IGN exclusive reviews. When you have one or two outlets out there soliciting exclusive reviews the publishers can't be solely blamed for accommodating it just because the rest of the business is trying to keep it real.

Dunkers92

I doubt anyone is driving pre-orders and season passes for this game as much as GAME. Forced isn't the word I'd use but I'm sure they could present a highly persuasive argument that a GAME exclusive is a good idea. Who else is going to be doing midnight openings for this game?

Pretty much nail on the head. No one else in the UK comes close driving exposure for games, especially on the highstreet.

Per unit sold, publishers make far more margin from GAME than other places, because of merchandise, season passes and the like that GAME push massively. It's just the way it is, and a big reason why GAME get the exclusives

MrS

Banned
Takes two to tango, and as a former employee of Game they're the fucking worst.
Right, but Game isn't responsible for Activision's false advertising, is it? I won't debate that they're the worst (personally, I use shopto and Simply) but I don't think they're "in the wrong" on this one.
You see the thing is, I am busy with life, and I dont have the time to check GAME website regularly. I saw the Nuketown trailer two days ago, got hyped and pre-ordered the game from Shopto.
If the trailer noted that the map is exclusive the GAME, I would have pre ordered from them.
The game is £49.99 at GAME and £37.89 at ShopTo. You would spend an extra £12 just for 1 map?

Lucifon

Point taken. But the trailer does actually say GAME exclusive right at the end, it's just in deceptively small font.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNWsTD25H8

100% bad communication from Activision. The post on Eurogamer clarifies a lot. Even now the Activision page says ALL pre-orders get the map. However, they don't.

This is 100% false advertising.

Haven't played a CoD in years, but this kind of practice is unacceptable.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hooray for people losing jobs!

Ok, ok. A foolish post on my part.

Informed consumers will shop around for the best prices. Misinformed consumers will become informed over time.

They will have another crash and probably need to be bailed out again unless they change their business model.

robo

well eurogamer and MCV have just again re-affirmed it on twitter, the day before the game releases lol

Me thinks there may well be a bit of a shitstorm come tomorrow for acti.

Tak3n

Banned
well eurogamer and MCV have just again re-affirmed it on twitter, the day before the game releases lol

Me thinks there may well be a bit of a shitstorm come tomorrow for acti.

This smacks of protecting pre-orders, all copies would of been posted now, so they can now tell the truth

Tak3n

Banned
fuck that, ordered from simplygames for the youngen, hes gonna be pissed today as it should be here.

If true thats some bullshit, but doesn't surprise me that game are involved.

Hey Buddy

Bad news, just spoke to someone who got a copy from Simplygames

No Nuketown.... best prepare your son

Zemm

Holy fuck, can these companies stop giving GAME exclusive shit? If they must then give it to someone like Amazon.

I've just checked my shopto pre order.... It does not mention anything about Nuketown. I am going to be very pissed if my copy does not include the Nuketown code !!

Well considering we not have confirmation that it is exclusive to GAME in the UK, prepare to be pissed.

jesu

Holy fuck, can these companies stop giving GAME exclusive shit? If they must then give it to someone like Amazon.

I'm not sure Amazon can't offer whatever it is Game offers.
I'm guessing it's free advertising on the high street.

Top Bottom