• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activisions mis-information on Nuketown Exclusivity to Game.co.uk in the UK

I was under the impression that the code for the map comes inside the game, and not provided by the retailer as they would usually email the code separately. That's why none of the retailers know about it, because they have not been given any codes separately to provide.

Have GAME released any figures on how many pre-orders they've had?

How do they handle some people having the map with matchmaking? Do they just kick you from the server every time Nuketown comes around? Or do they get put on a server with just other GAME pre-orderers?

You'd have thought GAME would have been all over the ambiguity if they thought people didn't know there was an advantage by pre-ordering through them.

Tak3n

Banned
I was under the impression that the code for the map comes inside the game, and not provided by the retailer as they would usually email the code separately. That's why none of the retailers know about it, because they have not been given any codes separately to provide.

Have GAME released any figures on how many pre-orders they've had?

How do they handle some people having the map with matchmaking? Do they just kick you from the server every time Nuketown comes around? Or do they get put on a server with just other GAME pre-orderers?

You'd have thought GAME would have been all over the ambiguity if they thought people didn't know there was an advantage by pre-ordering through them.

Nuketown is in map rotation for those who have it, and as this exclusivity only affects the standard version, there will be enough people as all digital, Harderned, and console bundles receive nuketown codes in the UK

Yeah i'm not buying from GAME for NUK3TOWN. Pre-ordered from shopto for less than £40 and the price at game will probably be £50.

One map isn't worth £15

£49.99 online so £54.99 in store, yep one map isn't worth £15 or shopping at game either.

I wouldn't mind getting it from GAME on my way back from work as it's convenient if the prices were like last gen when they sold it for £45. But £10 more is a bit much. Regret getting Witcher 3 there seeing as i haven't finished it yet

No problem, Nuke Town was played to death anyway, I would rather play the new maps, plus I got the game on PS4 for £34.85 from SimplyGames, so I would rather save my money than pay £49.99 for the same game with 1 extra map.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Just to confirm, my copy of black ops3 just came from Shopto and it doesn't have the Nuketown code. So lame.

edit - My copy was the Standard edition.

boswell22

Be interested to see how they handle splitting the user base like this. Do they have separate playlists that include the map?

Activision already messing up matchmaking for people. I love how they think it's ok to split the community on day one. If it's like
Older titles it will only match you with people who have the same maps. I'm sure Activision wil kindly sell a copy for 5$

robo

Be interested to see how they handle splitting the user base like this. Do they have separate playlists that include the map?

if in a party with someone who has the map, it will display a warning and the party will have to leave matchmaking and start again.

if in a party with no one that has the map then you just wont see it come up in rotation I believe.

I doubt anyone is driving pre-orders and season passes for this game as much as GAME. Forced isn't the word I'd use but I'm sure they could present a highly persuasive argument that a GAME exclusive is a good idea. Who else is going to be doing midnight openings for this game?

Nail on the head. Game gets exclusives because no other retailer competes with them in terms of flogging season passes and other stuff - it's not just them profiting, it's the publishers too. Why wouldn't Activision want to "persuade" people to buy it from Game? They want to maximise profitability by selling you a season pass, strategy guide and other tat with it, which feeds back into Activision's pocket too. The supermarkets offer nothing extra for Activision because they maximise profitability by encouraging you to buy groceries alongside your super cheap copy of CoD.

Retailer exclusive DLC won't go away, ever. If Game go under it'll just be tossed along to the next retailer with the biggest attach rate. Unfortunately because shoppers encouraged the practice in the early days it's now ingrained into the industry.

Shopto support just tweeted me this.

Shopto.png

apperentally, both editions ( the standard and hardened edition) dont have the Nuketown maps!

Tak3n

Banned
Shopto support just tweeted me this.

Shopto.png

apperentally, both editions ( the standard and hardened edition) dont have the Nuketown maps!

that is incorrect, the Hardened edition has it, someone who got this version from Shopto had the nuketown code in it

thenameDS

I'm sorry for being off topic, but where did you find it for £35 from?
Your about a week late. It was £35 on simplygames for about two weeks, it has since increased.

My copy will arrive today, so I'll let people know if it has nuketown. I doubt it since other people have already reported simplygames copies don't come with it. But hey, here's hoping.

The thing about people saying it's Activison's fault don't understand that it's not just this occasion that GAME has screwed people over here in the UK; it's been happening for a long time. They're the scummiest of the scum: Uncharted 4 special edition and Libertia edition for example, is GAME exclusive!

A damn special edition of a whole game is exclusive to them; and they're way over priced too so you have no other choice other than paying way more than you normally would at a regular shop like Simply Games, ShopTo or Amazon...

I wish Game would go under,my local one has staff with a combined IQ of 12.Well no Nuketown for me,which i consider a bonus to be fair

IIRC I checked all the various online stores and ordered from Simply Games. It was reasonably clear that I wasn't getting Nuketown but I didn't consider that map being worth 40% of the price of the game again, so let it go.

I can understand how people got duped though if Activision have the wrong info on their own website.

Who in their right mind is ordering games from GAME at 50quid?

if in a party with someone who has the map, it will display a warning and the party will have to leave matchmaking and start again.

if in a party with no one that has the map then you just wont see it come up in rotation I believe.

That's not how it worked in the last few cods. Matchmaking just excludes everyone who doesn't have the maps. So if one person doesn't have the map it will just match your party with other players without nuketown. It won't kick your party or anyone.

If treyarch is smart they would just have a nuketown 24/7 hopper for now and keep it out of the other playlists. I hate how dlc destroys matchmaking in cod.

MattyH

That's not how it worked in the last few cods. Matchmaking just excludes everyone who doesn't have the maps. So if one person doesn't have the map it will just match your party with other players without nuketown. It won't kick your party or anyone.

If treyarch is smart they would just have a nuketown 24/7 hopper for now and keep it out of the other playlists. I hate how dlc destroys matchmaking in cod.

There's a nuketown only playlist only for the weekend

Phinor

So PC player base is effectively already halved when the game launches? That's not a good start. Well not actually halved, most PC copies have Nuketown but not all of them (GMG doesn't have it etc.). So if I understood that right, those without Nuketown have an extremely small player base day 1? So matchmaking is already severely crippled.

Chille

If any of you had actually visited game in last few months, the posters in stores say nuketown is exclusive to Game

So PC player base is effectively already halved when the game launches? That's not a good start. Well not actually halved, most PC copies have Nuketown but not all of them (GMG doesn't have it etc.). So if I understood that right, those without Nuketown have an extremely small player base day 1? So matchmaking is already severely crippled.

How many people pre-ordered from GAME as proportion of total sales? Obviously we don't know but i'd hope it wasn't 50% given the fact that they charge over a tenner more than anywhere else.

It's not an original though, even in this thread, but I too hope they fuck off and die. In other countries there limited edition and pre-order goodies seem to be spread around multiple retailers. In the UK, everything good goes to GAME exclusively so you have to deal with their shonky service and ridiculous prices. I understand that it's up to them to choose what business model to use to create profits but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Hip Hop

Matchmaking doesn't work that way. If they can find people with Nuketown, they will put you with Nuketown owners. If they can't find Nuketown map owners that you can play with, they will put you with those that don't own it.

That's how matchmaking works in COD. So no, it won't be crippled just because of one map.

Matchmaking doesn't work that way. If they can find people with Nuketown, they will put you with Nuketown owners. If they can't find Nuketown map owners that you can play with, they will put you with those that don't own it.

That's how matchmaking works in COD. So no, it won't be crippled just because of one map.

But how about for those without Nuketown? Surely they get a much smaller pool as a result of the system you're describing?

Plasma

Banned
I cancelled my GMG preorder because no nuketown and preload. Really annoys me when publishers put mp maps in as preorder bonuses because it splits the userbase from day one.

Hip Hop

But how about for those without Nuketown? Surely they get a much smaller pool as a result of the system you're describing?

I'm sure the system scales depending on the population. Anyway, I would imagine the community will be large enough with a franchise this big that both sides will have no problem.

karma2578

Fair enough if game just wanted the map bonus to gain majority share of preorders but they're also charging for it by keeping price high compared to other retailers.
Latest in a long line of shady practices by them

Depends possibly ghosts and I know for sure advanced warfare will only match you with players who have the exact same maps as you. People who bought 1 or 2 map packs had terrible times finding games and just ended up deleting the maps to find matches.

Hip Hop

Depends possibly ghosts and I know for sure advanced warfare will only match you with players who have the exact same maps as you. People who bought 1 or 2 map packs had terrible times finding games and just ended up deleting the maps to find matches.

Oh yeah, you're right.

Was comparing it from Black Ops 2. I would assume they would use that system for Black Ops 3, but let's see.

Bluth54

I'm sure the system scales depending on the population. Anyway, I would imagine the community will be large enough with a franchise this big that both sides will have no problem.
The PC player base for CoD is pretty small and keeps getting smaller with each new installment. Steam players would rather play CSGO and TF2 then CoD for their FPS fix.

I does my head that GAME get all the exclusive stuff as far as retailers go in the UK. I guess it's to try and make up for the high prices but it still amazes me how they are always given the good stuff.

Hip Hop

The PC player base for CoD is pretty small and keeps getting smaller with each new installment. Steam players would rather play CSGO and TF2 then CoD for their FPS fix.

We'll, let's see how this one fairs.

Black Ops 2 did really well and still has an alright community. I'm able to find games with people owning map packs still today. But yeah, Ghosts and AW did fall off the charts.

But as far as one map as Nuketown, it shouldn't be a big deal, even on PC with the initial community.

Top Bottom