• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

eefara

Ah, and if you're still reading, OP, could you add a link to the petition in the first post?

The signatures coming in have slowed down; they might pick up if the story gets news coverage. Otherwise, 2000 seems like a solid number for a niche series.

Haganeren

I find that hilarous since in Europe, there is usually a very long delay even if they don't translate anything in French or Spanish and of course, doesn't record any additional dub.

Oh well...

Garlador

Ah, and if you're still reading, OP, could you add a link to the petition in the first post?

The signatures coming in have slowed down; they might pick up if the story gets news coverage. Otherwise, 2000 seems like a solid number for a niche series.

Would definitely be appreciated.

Until then, new page, New Link to the Petition.

I expect once my wife finishes up some pictures, the numbers might increase a bit. She's... persuasive.

Stuart444

If a mod doesn't want to update the op/title, maybe someone could make a new thread?

Many might have moved on from the thread since the first page so without a new title and updated first post, people may not click on the thread again.

Celcius

°Temp. member
2100+ signatures, woot!
I think a new thread would help as the purpose of this one has kinda changed.

Also, don't get me wrong... I'm glad to see the petition going, have signed it, and hope it changes things, but let's say we get 10,000 signatures... surely that's just a drop in the bucket to ArcSys compared to the total number of sales they normally get right? Have they acknowledged the petition at all?

2100+ signatures, woot!

Also, don't get me wrong... I'm glad to see the petition going, have signed it, and hope it changes things, but let's say we get 10,000 signatures... surely that's just a drop in the bucket to ArcSys compared to the total number of sales they normally get right? Have they acknowledged the petition at all?
thats not a drop in the bucket at all. BB should sell around 100k copies. 2k signatures is already telling, imagine the number of people that wont see this petition that actually care about what this is all about. Most people that buy BB will never see this petition, but thats one of the reasons why we try to spread it out as much as possible

Celcius

°Temp. member
If ArcSys is just concerned about cutting costs, I wish they would let fans donate for the dub. If 2,100 people donated $20, that's $42,000. How much extra would it cost them to add the dub anyway?

eefara

2100+ signatures, woot!

I completely agree; the thread has moved from "no dub, people are unhappy" to "an official petition has been set up, please sign".

I won't have time to create a thread until tomorrow night, so if one hasn't been put up by then (or a mod comes by and says we can't), I'll do it then.

Stuart444

If ArcSys is just concerned about cutting costs, I wish they would let fans donate for the dub. If 2,100 people donated $20, that's $42,000. How much extra would it cost them to add the dub anyway?

Multiple factors:

1. Cost per VA
2. How many lines (Story, battle, extras)
3. costs to implement
4. QA costs.

Can't give an exact amount obviously but they should still be able to do it. If they want to cut dub costs, at least wait until after the finale of a story many have enjoyed up til now. Doing it for the final installment is just fucking shitty :/

Garlador

Just signed. I'm glad this got bumped to the first page otherwise I would've never known about this.

Yeah. That's still a problem.

We probably need an actual thread about this, since the thread title hasn't changed and the OP hasn't been updated with the petition.

I forget my history, but I'm fairly certain there was definitely a new thread when the petition to change Mass Effect 3's ending came out (though that was on a scale I've never seen before. I wonder if we should send Arc System Games cupcakes...)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Merits of sub vs dub aside, I find it particularly interesting how in this case no one seems to mind the conflict of interest of freelancers who use social media to pressure a company to allocate budget for something said freelancers will most likely get paid for. I'm sure their enthusiasm and love for the game is real, but the optics are odd.

Garlador

Merits of sub vs dub aside, I find it particularly interesting how in this case no one seems to mind the conflict of interest of freelancers who use social media to pressure a company to allocate budget for something said freelancers will most likely get paid for. I'm sure their enthusiasm and love for the game is real, but the optics are odd.

A job's a job. Why WOULDN'T they pressure a company to cough up the cash to bring them back in for another session, especially since a large portion of the fanbase loves them and they really have nothing to lose by chipping in their support.

I mean, some of them outright admitted upfront that they weren't initially optimistic and to support the game regardless, but if Arc System Works COULD be convinced to give the dub the go-ahead, I know I'd be pushing for it to.

It's not a "conflict of interest". It's just "interest". We want a dub because we enjoy it. They want to provide it because it pays the bills while also enjoying their roles. It's just different reasons moving towards the same goal: get a dub made.

You know what, I'm making a thread. Just give me a few minutes guys.
Thanks. One of us honestly should have done that ages ago.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Actually, I see that the first post in this thread has now been updated... and I had the new thread ready to go :(
Maybe now we should just get a mod to update the thread title as well? I'll ask...

Loved the English dub of BlazBlue and I don't know if I'll buy CF day one if there's no dub. I'd probably just buy it on sale instead considering that I've never been into the series competitively.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Oh well, just so that it doesn't go to waste, here's the new thread first post that I had put together.

Title: Petition to Add English Dub / Voiceovers to BlazBlue: Central Fiction
OP:
SqAcTIjoZOPHanr-800x450-noPad.jpg

As you may know, the latest entry in the BlazBlue series, "BlazBlue: Central Fiction" is scheduled to release in the US on November 19th, 2016 (for both PS4 and PS3). However, unlike the previous 3 games in the series, the final game in the current story is currently scheduled to release without english dubs / voiceovers. That means that the entire lengthy story mode as well as the interactions of the character during fights would be completely in Japanese (with English subtitles during story mode).

The first BlazBlue game, "BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger" released in 2009 and for the past 7 years fans of the franchise have grown accustomed to having their characters voiced by some of the best voice actors in the business. Now you can imagine that after 7 years and 3 games later, it could really drain the experience to have the voices changed.

Aksys Games posted on twitter:
tweet1_zps9gcmwjak.png

https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/768503373612015616?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
"Basically boiled down to- game now w/ no dub. Game 6-8 months later w/ dub. We made a tough decision, but stick by it."

They later also posted:
tweet2_zps09usdyri.png

https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/769315786175361024?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
"2. An English dub is possible, but sometimes devs need extra convincing. Petitions, fan pages, etc all help. Fan communities"

cj_iwakura has started a petition to get Aksys's attention and it has started to gain traction as well as gaining the attention of several of the voice actors themselves. As the purpose of the original thread discussing this has changed, we felt this was worth a new thread instead of having to keep bumping the old one with the link to the petition as people continue to sign.

So far we have over 2200 signatures and plan to see how high we can go!

Y'all doing god's work. Lets hope that petition gets some traction and grabs attention. It's very seriously the difference between a day 1 buy and waiting 6 months for a deep discount for me.

Celcius

°Temp. member

eefara

Oh, things have moved a bit since I went to sleep. 2300+ signatures and a new potential post for a new thread. We still doing that? Or keeping this one? (Oh, and why is the petition linked through cj's post? Wouldn't it be better to simply link to the petition in the new post itself?)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Oh, things have moved a bit since I went to sleep. 2300+ signatures and a new potential post for a new thread. We still doing that? Or keeping this one? (Oh, and why is the petition linked through cj's post? Wouldn't it be better to simply link to the petition in the new post itself?)

We decided to just keep this thread since the first post had already been updated. Then a mod changed the title for us and the OP was kind enough to add extra information in the first post. The petition link is at the top of the OP [I forgot to put a direct link in my post above :(]. It may look a little awkward but all the information is there now. :)

last night was pretty good for us. Should easily get over 2500 today. Hopefully start pushing towards 3k tomorrow.

We've had a couple slumps and its definitely hard to find people that dont check forums and twitter (while following VAs on twitter)

Rice Digital actually posted on twitter about the whole thing, that was one of the more surprising ones.

colonyoo

I've never gotten into BB and admittedly I didn't stick with the dub track in Xrd for long, but missing out on content like this knowing that the originals we get stuck with won't even be subtitled, is honestly a crime.

eefara

We decided to just keep this thread since the first post had already been updated. Then a mod changed the title for us and the OP was kind enough to add extra information in the first post. The petition link is at the top of the OP [I forgot to put a direct link in my post above :(]. It may look a little awkward but all the information is there now. :)

Ah, gotcha. Fantastic, then! ^_^

last night was pretty good for us. Should easily get over 2500 today. Hopefully start pushing towards 3k tomorrow.

We've had a couple slumps and its definitely hard to find people that dont check forums and twitter (while following VAs on twitter)

Rice Digital actually posted on twitter about the whole thing, that was one of the more surprising ones.

Rice Digital, huh? That is surprising; I think I literally only know them from Steins;gate. The more news sites the better, though, since as you mentioned it's difficult to get the word out to those who don't frequent the few specific channels we've been advertising on so far.

Is there any particular "best way" for contacting news sites with info like this in the hope they'll write a story?

Ah, gotcha. Fantastic, then! ^_^

Rice Digital, huh? That is surprising; I think I literally only know them from Steins;gate. The more news sites the better, though, since as you mentioned it's difficult to get the word out to those who don't frequent the few specific channels we've been advertising on so far.

Is there any particular "best way" for contacting news sites with info like this in the hope they'll write a story?
most have a tip box, but as CJ has clearly discovered most don't give a shit. Destructoid put it out there, but kotaku and others have completely ignored the whole thing

and some have went and posted about the limited edition while ignoring actual news

eefara

most have a tip box, but as CJ has clearly discovered most don't give a shit. Destructoid put it out there, but kotaku and others have completely ignored the whole thing

and some have went and posted about the limited edition while ignoring actual news

Yeah, you'd think they'd want in in a little controversy. : Ah well; I'll still go bug them. Maybe sobering good will come of it. :p

Garlador

Destructoid picked up on it.

Might want to try our hands at sites like The Escapist, Eurogamer, IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Zambatoh

I've never gotten into BB and admittedly I didn't stick with the dub track in Xrd for long, but missing out on content like this knowing that the originals we get stuck with won't even be subtitled, is honestly a crime.

This just reminds me that I still gotta go back and see the other system voices. I only ever used I-no because her double entendres are just all over the damn place.

Top Bottom