• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

Celcius

°Temp. member
Who are your favorite voice actors of the series?
Hazama might be my favorite. Makoto and Tsubaki are also really good.

Hazama might be my favorite lol. Makoto and Tsubaki are also really good.

English voices right? I'd go with Arakune and Bang.

Arakune is particularly at his best in gameplay for me, since you actually understand what he is saying. I really like how he sometimes has these moments of thoughtfulness in some of his intro quotes. I also find his insane rants funny.

I prefer Bang's old voice to his new one. He seemed a more over the top and dramatic. I personally had this theory that because Bang's would sometimes break, he was only pretending to have a overly heroic voice and actually had a really high voice.

Zambatoh

Makoto and Kokanoe's english voice actor's are my favorites. Their delivery is just perfect for all those comedic scenes. Especially when paired with Tager's more serious performances.

cj_iwakura

Mine have always been GIGANTIC TAGER, Ragna, Kokonoe(she nails the sarcastic bitch angle), Jin(every angle), Nine, Jubei, and Litchi(another every facet nailed voice).

Can't imagine Jubei being playable without his southern drawl.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Mine have always been GIGANTIC TAGER, Ragna, Kokonoe(she nails the sarcastic bitch angle), Jin(every angle), Nine, Jubei, and Litchi(another every facet nailed voice).

Can't imagine Jubei being playable without his southern drawl.

GOGO GIGANTIC TAGER! hahaha, I forgot about that :)
Tao as Mechakaka was also funny.

Cristina Vee's noel is basically why I care about voice acting these days

Mela Lee's rachel cracks me up in story mode

Seitz's ragna has always been great

Garlador

Tager's voice is just so... fitting. Soft yet strong, smart and also a bit crazy. Hard to describe.

Bang's had two voice actors, and I found them both wonderfully over-the-top.

I'm warming up to the newer characters as I revisit the series. There's not anyone I can pinpoint and say they dropped the ball.

rackham

Banned
played the Vita release of the Blazblue game given away on PS+ and the english dub sounded like typical anime garbage. Don't know where all this "best in the business" comes from. Maybe the VAs have some experience under their belt but nothing was amazing to me.

played the Vita release of the Blazblue game given away on PS+ and the english dub sounded like typical anime garbage. Don't know where all this "best in the business" comes from. Maybe the VAs have some experience under their belt but nothing was amazing to me.
seh6p.gif

Garlador

Mmm try kotaku,gematsu,silconera, dualshockers(definitely will if you can reach nelva). Not so sure about ign,gamespot and so on unless others pick it up

I sent in a tip to IGN the other day, but nothing came of it. Someone else might wish to try. I couldn't even find Gamestop's news tip contact info.

I have a hard time thinking of a bad performance from the english v/o cast.

New Bang kinda sucks. Carl and Celica are kind of annoying, but then so are their characters so I guess that actually works in their favor?

Everyone else is great.

Pejo

Just saw and signed the petition. Seems to have lost momentum since the first day, but it's better than nothing.

Just saw and signed the petition. Seems to have lost momentum since the first day, but it's better than nothing.
the only places really carrying/talking about it are here, reddit, gamefaqs, twitter, destructoid, and shoryuken. All n all pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Without getting places like gamespot, kotaku, and IGN to post something we are still doing quite well. If those places posted something it would probably get over 5k

Garlador

the only places really carrying/talking about it are here, reddit, gamefaqs, twitter, destructoid, and shoryuken. All n all pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Without getting places like gamespot, kotaku, and IGN to post something we are still doing quite well. If those places posted something it would probably get over 5k

That's pretty much it, and the case for any petition. 99% of the people who would sign it don't know the petition exists. In fact, at this point, I'd wager a good majority of Blazblue players aren't even AWARE that the English dub isn't there this time.

So the message is two-fold; let them know the English dub is absent, and then let them know a petition is up. It's tough to do that and get major exposure without at least one major gaming news outlet picking up on it.

But by all means, Kotaku. Create a whole topic just for this gif of a horse stuck in a ditch.

Celcius

°Temp. member
On the plus side though, we're really close to 2800 signatures and I'm sure we'll hit 3,000. I don't have a twitter account but when we hit 3k someone should tweet Aksys to say "We've got 3,000 signatures in less than a week!"

cj_iwakura

On the plus side though, we're really close to 2800 signatures and I'm sure we'll hit 3,000. I don't have a twitter account but when we hit 3k someone should tweet Aksys to say "We've got 3,000 signatures in less than a week!"
I hope people are bombarding their twitter. It's key.

Garlador

I hope people are bombarding their twitter. It's key.

It really is important they know. It's also important to know that if people DON'T buy the game at launch, they fully understand why and don't draw a "people don't like Blazblue" conclusion.

It's so important they are told clearly and loudly what the gamers want so there can be no confusion.

cj_iwakura

For anyone that doesn't have twitter, you can also contact them via email: http://www.aksysgames.com/contact/contact-sales/
*sends one*

Also helpful. I think their silence at the moment is speaking volumes, though. Not to mention whatever behind-the-scenes shenanigans Seitz & co. might be up to.

I think I'm gonna take a page from Operation Rainfall's book and start posting updates with new strategies to get as much attention as possible.

Also helpful. I think their silence at the moment is speaking volumes, though. Not to mention whatever behind-the-scenes shenanigans Seitz & co. might be up to.

I think I'm gonna take a page from Operation Rainfall's book and start posting updates with new strategies to get as much attention as possible.
I was debating creating a page of some sort, but I just don't have the free time atm

Z..

If it does work, I hope the 6-8 month delay they're mentioning gets seriously shortened, shit's ridiculous.

Also, since the only data I can't make publicly unavailable when signing the petition is where I'm from, how does one check the geographical distribution of the supporters?

Busaiku

If it does work, I hope the 6-8 month delay they're mentioning gets seriously shortened, shit's ridiculous.

Also, since the only data I can't make publicly unavailable when signing the petition is where I'm from, how does one check the geographical distribution of the supporters?

The game is coming out in Japanese, regardless of whether or not the poll changes their decisions.
A patch for the English would probably be those many months later, if successful.

Stockholm syndrome.

Its really sunk in at this point that the removal of the english voice acting truly kills this series for me. A series thats been one of my favorite since it first started.

In a way it feels dumb that the acting language alone has that big of an effect, and I'm sure many people would be quick to tell me that, but I dont care, thats just how it is.

I really hope this works out, but I don't have much faith still.

Garlador

Its really sunk in at this point that the removal of the english voice acting truly kills this series for me. A series thats been one of my favorite since it first started.

In a way it feels dumb that the acting language alone has that big of an effect, and I'm sure many people would be quick to tell me that, but I dont care, thats just how it is.

I really hope this works out, but I don't have much faith still.

It's been the version you've embraced for nearly 8 years now. There's nothing wrong with that.

It would be the same as Dragon Ball Z deciding to stop supporting an English dub and only releasing the series subtitled. Sure, some Japanese-language purists would be okay with it, but for many, those are THE voices they're familiar with and grew up with.

It's how I feel as a Gundam fan in English, with the English dub of the original '79 Gundam, then Z Gundam with the same cast, then Char's Counterattack with the same English cast and... ZZ Gundam is subtitled only. It's jarring as hell and it slams the breaks on the consistency the anime had in English up to that point.

Dialogue is a huge part of human behavior and interaction, and being able to clearly understand what is spoken to you or around you composes a great deal of our social experiences. That's a testament to good voice work, and a just how much audio and dialogue shape our enjoyment of the things and world around us.

ANN posted a story about the lack of dub, but the only mention of the petition is in the comments.
I clicked into the comments for that article feeling like this would bne the usual ANN comments about how dubs ruin anime and everyone who watches them is fucking things up (which as an aside theres some hilarious irony in anime fans trying to belittle other people considering how they are generally treated), but it was actually balanced the same way most places are. a few assholes, a few people saying its fine, and most people being disappointed

Z..

everyone who watches them is fucking things up

When it comes to anime, I really couldn't care less as I'll always have the option to choose, but as far as video games are concerned, quite often you ARE fucking things up for everyone else when it comes to japanese games.

I'll skip horrendous stuff like Shenmue and just focus on competent efforts. It has never stopped being a nuisance putting up with english voices that feel completely out of place in MegaTen/Persona, Legend Of Heroes, Catherine, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade C X, etc... Even though I still love these games to the core, I would have replayed some of them many more times than I currently have if I didn't have to put up with dubs that despite functional feel completely dissonant with their respective games. Ni No Kuni would be my go to example, I suppose... the dub is great but I'll be damned if the original VAs don't do a much better job of making the characters feel like they belong in the game's world.
In some cases it's irrelevant, obviously (Dragon's Dogma comes to mind), but there's too many cases where it makes a difference and we just get shafted!
Maybe being from the places where these dubs are made doesn't allow you to notice just how much they change the experience because this is the way you've always known this type of product, but for someone who's used to the real deal it feels like nails on a chalkboard. Especially because much like AAA western games who pretty much all sound like they're going for the hollywood approach, most japanese titles end up getting stuck with dubs that ape the anime dub approach when it comes to tone, inflection and quirks regardless of whether or not it fits.

Again, dubs are always fine as an option... but it's infuriating that we end up getting deprived of the option to experience something as originally intended just to cater to a vocal minority hailing from a couple specific countries when both options can't be implemented.

Not the case here, though, so you have my full support and I already signed the petition, but you can't deny the fact that you are in fact fucking things up for some us.

Korigama

is this dude for real?
Yes...yes, he is.

Not even going to get started on his logic behind English voice acting being out of place in Xenoblade X when the hub is literally marked as a United States colony. Furthermore, it doesn't make much sense to apply such thinking to the Trails titles under The Legend of Heroes either based on its casts or settings.

He can apply that logic all he likes for things like SMT (minus Strange Journey, but that doesn't have voice acting anyway) and Persona, which are actually set in Japan. For Fire Emblem, plausible for a more heavily Japanese-influenced setting like with Fates, not so much with Awakening and the others before it. Catherine, it's whatever, given that (major SPOILERS)
it's set on an American space colony, IIRC, yet the architecture and habits/mannerisms exhibited by the cast tend to be very Japanese

Top Bottom