• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aksys has no plans to dub BlazBlue Central Fiction [Petition Added to OP]

Z..

Yes...yes, he is.

Not even going to get started on his logic behind English voice acting being out of place in Xenoblade X when the hub is literally marked as a United States colony. Furthermore, it doesn't make much sense to apply such thinking to the Trails titles under The Legend of Heroes either based on its casts or settings.

So by your logic you must be watching US films set abroad in whichever dub fits the location, right? Who cares if the delivery completely clashes with the characters' obviously foreign interpretation of any one specific culture, anyway?
Regardless of setting, Xenoblade CX's character are (quite clearly) very much influenced by japanese sensibilities and are without a doubt a Japanese product, through and through.
Let me put this another way... let's imagine Earthbound had voice acting. Would English voices be the logical choice since it's set in the US despite the fact that it's quite clearly a Japanese take on Americana?

Bending logic so it favors your narrative is pointless. Again, dubs are absolutely fine as an option for those who want it, but depriving everyone else of a choice to cater to the interests of some is only completely nonsensical.

Also, where is the assumption I'm male coming from?

Z..

Gotta be massively trolling at this point.

Just noticed I'm essentially dealing with the North American anime avatar club here, I see now this is going nowhere regardless of whether or not the points I'm making are legitimate... Fine, I can tell I'm an unwanted element here. You win.

So um.....why are you so into shitting on everyone's parade (the people trying to get a dub even if DLC) ??

We got your opinions, we get you and respect them, but you seem to refuse to respect others opinions (or so it seems), its to the point where it looks like your just trying to pick a fight with someone. Can you please just stop?

Be happy you are getting the game in which you can enjoy in your own way. Let the rest fight on for what they want and move on.

Hope I dont get a ban offense for his, but something needed to be said, geez.

EDIT: forgot to refresh before posting......meh.

Steel

Banned
So by your logic you must be watching US films set abroad in whichever dub fits the location, right? Who cares if the delivery completely clashes with the characters' obviously foreign interpretation of any one specific culture, anyway?
Regardless of setting, Xenoblade CX's character are (quite clearly) very much influenced by japanese sensibilities and are without a doubt a Japanese product, through and through.
Let me put this another way... let's imagine Earthbound had voice acting. Would English voices be the logical choice since it's set in the US despite the fact that it's quite clearly a Japanese take on Americana?

Bending logic so it favors your narrative is pointless. Again, dubs are absolutely fine as an option for those who want it, but depriving everyone else of a choice to cater to the interests of some is only completely nonsensical.

The reason why it's better to watch foreign films in the native language is because it's impossible to dub over live action without it looking completely wrong. Animation and video games don't have this problem and generally it's preferable(to those that prefer dubs, which are not the minority going by sales) to be able to actually look at what's going on on the screen when people talk rather than staring at text while listening to someone talk in a language syntactically different than what you're reading.

Just noticed I'm essentially dealing with the North American anime avatar club here, I see now this is going nowhere regardless of whether or not the points I'm making are legitimate... Fine, I can tell I'm an unwanted element here. You win.
they arent though. You have twisted your opinion in a way that you believe its the superior way for the media to be consumed. People consume things however they prefer. I won't buy a game that doesn't have an english dub because I know I won't enjoy it. Which is why I skipped things I would normally be very interested in like TMS#FE and nights of azure. If you have a problem with companies like atlus skipping out on the JP audio, go try and do something about it, don't sit around telling people that are trying to get what they want that they are doing it wrong.

The reason why it's better to watch foreign films in the native language is because it's impossible to dub over live action without it looking completely wrong. Animation and video games don't have this problem and generally it's preferable(to those that prefer dubs, which are not the minority going by sales) to be able to actually look at what's going on on the screen when people talk rather than staring at text while listening to someone talk in a language syntactically different than what you're reading.

First i'll say this .. i'm in favor for dual audio in localisation. It's a win win perspective IMO.

But that bolded sentence ? I see this argument countless times and i always shake my head in disbelief.
People acting as if you can't read a sentence and look at the rest of the screen at the same time are ridiculous.
When you're watching a sub ( game, movie , anime , ect ect ) you're looking at the screen , globaly .. You're not erasing the rest of the screen from your mind because letters appeared at the bottom.

What do you think the opposite side do ? Do you think they are starring at the text ? No they are doing both , at the same time ..they are looking at the entire screen and processing the information. At feature every human brain on the planet can do, if you just try.

I'm not here telling you all that your petition is meaningless , as i said above , i value dual audio releases , but that sentence above is definitely not correct

First i'll say this .. i'm in favor for dual audio in localisation. It's a win win perspective IMO.

But that bolded sentence ? I see this argument countless times and i always shake my head in disbelief.
People acting as if you can't read a sentence and look at the rest of the screen at the same time are ridiculous.
When you're watching a sub ( game, movie , anime , ect ect ) you're looking at the screen , globaly .. You're not erasing the rest of the screen from your mind because letters appeared at the bottom.

What do you think the opposite side do ? Do you think they are starring at the text ? No they are doing both , at the same time ..they are looking at the entire screen and processing the information. At feature every human brain on the planet can do, if you just try.

I'm not here telling you all that your petition is meaningless , as i said above , i value dual audio releases , but that sentence above is definitely not correct
in the end every argument that tries to tell someone why they should prefer it some way is going to be irrelevant, the only relevant comment to make is why you prefer it in what way

Korigama

I notice that you ignored the second half of my post, where I already acknowledged that cultural aspects specific to the developers occasionally inform presentation regardless of setting. You also seem to be under the impression that I'm not in favor of having dual-audio when possible, in spite of never having implied this (I said nothing of "depriving" anyone of anything). Also, I normally use "they" to avoid potential mix-ups regarding the people I'm addressing, with this having been an exception.

I would've replied sooner, but it seems that you've already chosen to excuse yourself from the thread before that.
Given the way he talks, I believe he is, in fact, trolling. I have no idea why the mods haven't banned him yet.
Hm. Well, whatever the case, I didn't see the point of anyone arguing against the very concept of dubs so fervently, let alone how anyone being in favor of them meant that they were anti-sub as that person seemed to believe.

in the end every argument that tries to tell someone why they should prefer it some way is going to be irrelevant, the only relevant comment to make is why you prefer it in what way

I'm not That guy.
I respect everyone preferences ..
However , some arguments going as absolutes ON BOTH SIDES are missing the point.. That's the difference between the capacity to do something and the willingless to do something.
You all like dubs , that's great .. long live to your petition.

But let's not act as if you can't do something to enjoy a product when it's perfectly possible since it's done by the opposite side of the argumentation daily ..

I'm not That guy.
I respect everyone preferences ..
However , some arguments going as absolutes ON BOTH SIDES are missing the point.. That's the difference between the capacity to do something and the willingless to do something.
You all like dubs , that's great .. long live to your petition.

But let's not act as if you can't do something to enjoy a product when it's perfectly possible since it's done by the opposite side of the argumentation daily ..
I was agreeing with you that his argument was pointless. Remember though that you can enjoy it that way, I cant. I cannot enjoy video games or anime where the dialog is in japanese

Gematsu actually shared: http://gematsu.com/2016/09/blazblue-central-fiction-fans-launch-petition-english-dub

I was agreeing with you that his argument was pointless.
I understand
Remember though that you can enjoy it that way, I cant. I cannot enjoy video games or anime where the dialog is in japanese

Gematsu actually shared: http://gematsu.com/2016/09/blazblue-central-fiction-fans-launch-petition-english-dub

And that's why i'm in favor of dual audio releases .. that's why blazblue before released as a format that grabbed a lot of people ... that's why i perfectly understand that some people are baffled and angry at CF release in that state.

But i felt i had to precisely express my point given how some posts lately turned out in this thread.

Garlador

It's always going to be preference, but it does remind me of how one of my friends loves to watch Kung Fu Panda with the Cantonese dialogue track because she adores China (and China itself adored Kung Fu Panda). The movie is set in China, revels in Chinese culture and customs, and I've even heard of Chinese-American immigrants going to watch the film, even elderly ones, because it reminds them so vividly of their homeland.

So by the time Kung Fu Panda 3 rolled around, Dreamworks just outright partnered with a Chinese studio to create an equivalent Chinese version that resynced all the dialogue and mouth movements to the Cantonese language, putting in that extra work so that the American-made franchise would be even more well-received in China.

Sort of a reverse-Blazblue situation here. Enough demand for a good dub can greatly benefit a release and the viewer's enjoyment of it, no matter where you come from.

Intel_89

If they end up caving in and dubbing the game and it ends up coming short in terms of sales then what'll happen to the series?

Garlador

Glad to see it, I put them on blast on Twitter and in an update, which hopefully helped.

I was informed that this has gained traction at comic book and anime sites as well.

I was so focused on video game sites that I admit I forgot that Blazblue has some seriously passionate ANIME fans as well, and the Anime News Network is covering this now.

Superherohype's forums are covering it now too.

It might be advisable for the next stage of the petition to contact anime sites and forums and not just the regular gaming sites. I admit being more limited in my knowledge of the big centers. Crunchyroll, perhaps?

Celcius

°Temp. member
If they end up caving in and dubbing the game and it ends up coming short in terms of sales then what'll happen to the series?

Central Fiction is the last game in this story arc so at least starting something new without dubs wouldn't be as bad IMO.
But what if they end up caving in and dubbing the game and it ends up selling double as fans show their support?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Central Fiction is the last game in this story arc so at least starting something new without dubs wouldn't be as bad IMO.
But what if they end up caving in and dubbing the game and it ends up selling double as fans show their support?

We'll never know.

Honestly, I was probably gonna get this game on a sale no matter what (I just prefer Guilty Gear). But if Arcsys actually goes through with it with the dub, I will absolutely buy it on release just to support them.

cj_iwakura

Gematsu's article says they got 'lots of emails'. I wonder if the petition is really why. If so, Siliconera and IGN are probably getting deluged as well.

Steel

Banned

I'm not saying you're erasing the rest of the screen from your mind but rather you're focusing more on the text than the rest of the screen. I've watched foreign movies and a few subbed anime, so I'm not saying this without experience, for me, at absolute least, it takes my focus away from what's going on on screen more than it would otherwise. Personally, I'm also in favor of dual audio, choice is never a bad thing, I'm just explaining why a dub is preferrable to the people that prefer it(keep in mind the post I was responding to). It also helps when it's a particularly good dub like Blazblue.

It's always going to be preference, but it does remind me of how one of my friends loves to watch Kung Fu Panda with the Cantonese dialogue track because she adores China (and China itself adored Kung Fu Panda). The movie is set in China, revels in Chinese culture and customs, and I've even heard of Chinese-American immigrants going to watch the film, even elderly ones, because it reminds them so vividly of their homeland.

So by the time Kung Fu Panda 3 rolled around, Dreamworks just outright partnered with a Chinese studio to create an equivalent Chinese version that resynced all the dialogue and mouth movements to the Cantonese language, putting in that extra work so that the American-made franchise would be even more well-received in China.

Sort of a reverse-Blazblue situation here. Enough demand for a good dub can greatly benefit a release and the viewer's enjoyment of it, no matter where you come from.

I know it's absolutely going to be preference in the end.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Nice ta see the petition doing well an the word gettin' out there!

If I wanted to jump into the series in part for its story would I need to start all the way back with the original Calamity Trigger? That one doesn't appear to have an "updated" version and I'm guessing the sequels & there updates don't have the story parts of the previous games.

Prolly the same thing as if the sub-only version comes up short in sales, the next game'll be digital download only? An because some peoples warped idea of "saving" a series is accepting the absolute bare minimum, there'll be peeps praising the decision!

I've long had a dislike for Siliconera, but this is getting to a whole new low, to the point that I suspect they're deliberately avoiding covering the petition. They posted a new article about BB today, for 'cutscenes and gameplay', with no mention of the lack of dub or the petition.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/0...lip-shows-off-bits-animated-scenes-gameplayh/

Even the comments are questioning their silence.
yea its just weird, kotaku posts useless things like that horse article, and today about fans of ark survival being mad about DLC on that game, but cant cover a different games fan issue that they definitely know about. Its just frustrating trying to get the word out, and we're not even asking these sites to support it, just post the news so people know about it and can make up their own mind.

On the plus side, at least there is still a steady stream of signatures, over 3200 now

If I wanted to jump into the series in part for its story would I need to start all the way back with the original Calamity Trigger? That one doesn't appear to have an "updated" version and I'm guessing the sequels & there updates don't have the story parts of the previous games.
Only two games really needed to catch up, continuum shift extend and chrono phantasma extend. CSE has a reconstructed (aka abridged) version of calamity trigger's story

well we definitely know that aksys and asw arent really good at PR at this point.

Thinking, for a tiny company, xseed is really good at it. Even when they do shit people dont like they always talk about it openly and never try and make the upset individuals feel marginalized

cj_iwakura

well we definitely know that aksys and asw arent really good at PR at this point.

Thinking, for a tiny company, xseed is really good at it. Even when they do shit people dont like they always talk about it openly and never try and make the upset individuals feel marginalized

From what I've been told, Aksys and ArcSys are VERY aware of this petition, and are putting their heads in the sand. They didn't expect this to blow up like it has, and they're in full on damage control mode.

From what I've been told, Aksys and ArcSys are VERY aware of this petition, and are putting their heads in the sand. They didn't expect this to blow up like it has, and they're in full on damage control mode.
from day one I knew aksys was blindsided. Their twitter posts showed that. Their first post telling people what the decision was was standard PR fare, but then after that they started propping up the decision as awesome and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Then they back pedaled and had the posts about petitioning n such.

I'm not saying you're erasing the rest of the screen from your mind but rather you're focusing more on the text than the rest of the screen. I've watched foreign movies and a few subbed anime, so I'm not saying this without experience, for me, at absolute least, it takes my focus away from what's going on on screen more than it would otherwise. Personally, I'm also in favor of dual audio, choice is never a bad thing, I'm just explaining why a dub is preferrable to the people that prefer it(keep in mind the post I was responding to). It also helps when it's a particularly good dub like Blazblue.

Something that you can do , some people can't .
That's the reason your answer to Z wasn't good. I'm not debating the experience of dubs vs subs. I'm just saying that the experience you're describing above is entirely different from the one you're talking to , so you can't just state your previous comment as an absolute. Because it isn't.

eefara

I've long had a dislike for Siliconera, but this is getting to a whole new low, to the point that I suspect they're deliberately avoiding covering the petition. They posted a new article about BB today, for 'cutscenes and gameplay', with no mention of the lack of dub or the petition.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/09/0...lip-shows-off-bits-animated-scenes-gameplayh/

Even the comments are questioning their silence.

Oh man, it's hilarious reading the comments. Pretty much all of them are talking about the dub situation, even though the article doesn't say a word; at least people are talking about the issue, even if news sites (like some certain ones I could think of). Maybe there's still a chance to reach those we could only really get to via big news sites, if they read the comments.

Excellent. They at least need to squirm for all this.

This is about as much as I expected we could get with a petition, so that's nice.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to communicate a plan of action to us.

Rutger

Banned
It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to communicate a plan of action to us.

I would be surprised to see Aksys or Arcsys commit to anything before the game is released. I'm still not convinced that the removal of the dub will have a big enough impact on the sales personally. I don't know what numbers they are looking at, but I can't imagine that it would be cheap or easy to to add after release, so they will probably need to see something really convincing for it to happen, and they will likely not have that until after the game is out.

But that's all just speculation. Keep making noise if it's something you care about~

Celcius

°Temp. member

Good to hear and looks like we're approaching 3400 signatures now. I think an extended edition with dubs is the most likely scenario if they're going to keep quiet.
They still haven't responded to my email.

cj_iwakura

Good to hear and looks like we're approaching 3400 signatures now. I think an extended edition with dubs is the most likely scenario if they're going to keep quiet.
They still haven't responded to my email.

They get an email every time someone signs it. Wonder if I should start a real letter writing campaign like Operation Rainfall did, heh.

The signature count so far already speaks to being a pretty big chunk of their demographic.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think it'll definitely hit 3500 today. GG Xrd Revelator missing the English dub took me by surprise as well (and slightly hurt the experience).
When they say "Basically boiled down to- game now w/ no dub. Game 6-8 months later w/ dub. We made a tough decision, but stick by it." I think they made the decision to release the game sooner because they wanted the revenue earlier...not necessarily because they were thinking about the fans.

Narroo

3500 today?

me too man, I'm honestly surprised I just let it slide as much as I did. Probably because I was more worried theyd pull this shit with blazblue at that point...and then they did

I remember calling it shortly after Xrd got no dub. They've been cutting corners on localization for years now, ever since CS:Extend. I think, really, the issue is that they don't want to have to dub it.

cj_iwakura

We're at 3,450. Gonna send out a substantial update when we hit 3500.

Siliconera responded in the comments:

We've covered stuff like petitions in the past, but the problem that followed was that we got a lot of flood of emails and various requests from fans and others after, and when we didn't cover them, we got plenty of angry comments and overall unnecessary drama.

That said, we don't make articles like that anymore. Comments such as Noir's below is a good example why we don't bother. And yeah, calling us scumbags and telling us to go fuck ourselves isn't ever going to help the case.

Also claiming they 'weren't aware of the petition'.

Nope, I actually wasn't aware about the petition when I wrote the article, so I find it pretty funny that some nerds get riled up as if we ignored it on purpose. The fact of the matter is, we don't post articles about petitions, end of story. If other sites post it, good on them.

people being assholes never helps, as we've stressed to go about things in a respective manner. Siliconera is doing a great job of being asshats of their own though.

Also refusing to cover news because you cant handle public reaction is a little ridiculous. Kotaku doesnt stop reporting game delays after the NMS fiasco. Now if only they would cover this

cj_iwakura

Also doesn't explain their lack of coverage about the game not having a dub. They don't think it's important, end of story.

Also doesn't explain their lack of coverage about the game not having a dub. They don't think it's important, end of story.
that was where the asshats thing comes from, refusing to cover petitions is one thing, refusing to cover the very relevant news about the game is another, but they will post free advertising of limited editions

cj_iwakura

that was where the asshats thing comes from, refusing to cover petitions is one thing, refusing to cover the very relevant news about the game is another, but they will post free advertising of limited editions

Lol.

"We've already contacted Aksys about it, just waiting for a response."

That's so going to work.

Oh, and

'1.) That email in the petition isn't even our contact email. "

It's from the link at the top of their website. Whoops.

dPbF33J.gif

eefara

Siliconera banned me from their comments section. So much for that front.

Are you a part of the string of deleted comments there? :p I read through and caught up since I last visited the page, and I find it interesting how Siliconera won't even cover the lack of dub, let alone the petition. I guess they don't want to potentially rile people up or something if they post such an article.

BossRush

Ive become ambivalent on the subject of central fiction getting a dub. On the one hand I played all the games so far dubbed, and I like a lot of the cast dubbed more than the original VAs.

On the other hand, after they replaced Bang back in CSEX it just hasn't been the same, not to mention I still like the Japanese cast, Terumi and Ragna are particular standouts.

cj_iwakura

Are you a part of the string of deleted comments there? :p I read through and caught up since I last visited the page, and I find it interesting how Siliconera won't even cover the lack of dub, let alone the petition. I guess they don't want to potentially rile people up or something if they post such an article.

Yep, those deleted comments were all me.

Including a link to the petition, which was the top voted one.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I remember calling it shortly after Xrd got no dub. They've been cutting corners on localization for years now, ever since CS:Extend. I think, really, the issue is that they don't want to have to dub it.

They're being cheap. If Vanillaware can dub their games; I'm sure Aksys can too.

Top Bottom