• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

jaxpunk

So I guess I missed how this is a MRA thing? Like I see the screenshots of guys complaining. But I mean you can literally find this anywhere. People piss and moan on the internet, don't have to go very far too see that.

Maybe some female staff at alamo thought it would be a cool idea to have a screening where they could invite their non comic girlfriends or bring daughters n nieces to watch the movie and celebrate ladies.

Its not about keeping men out. Let them have their fun

Great point. Especially with a lot of comic book culture being pretty intimidating male dominated space from the perspective of non-nerds. Kind of a chance to introduce it to girls and women who never thought about watching this kind of movie as they assumed it wasn't for them. If I lived in the US I'd totally invite some of my non-nerd lady friends to this kind of event.

LionPride

Banned
It's the most empowered female superhero in history, the first woman superhero movie, and I think it's cool there's a women/girls only screening celebrating it.

Not sure why people have issues. I say it took fucking long enough and this is great.
It's not the first woman superhero movie

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
omg what next? An all alien showing of Alien:Covenant?

Gotta love this PC sick world!

An all sharks showing for 47 meters down
An all cousins showing for My Cousin Rachel
An all Minions showing for Despicable Me 3
An all autobots opening for Transformers

where does the madness end !

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should have an all male showing to the scene in Antichrist where
some cock and balls get crushed
just playing on repeat.

RDreamer

I would bet almost every one of those people complaining watches a fair bit of MEN ONLY SPORTS, yet a few screens play time for a movie gets them hot and bothered.

Also when they are listing off a bunch of movies for potential all men screenings, it proves the ultimate point.

Mmmmm, none of those movies really screamed to me "a movie that embodies men" in the same way that wonder woman does for women. I can't really think of a film that would do that for men... I guess men have a variety of male role models to choose from already.

Hylian7

Something I want to point out:

Unless they did this at other Alamo theatres, this is literally only at one theatre, the Ritz one in Austin, and there's still a showtime that isn't women only.

You can find another time to see the movie, I think this is really cool that Alamo is doing this.

bD7d42Y.png

It's extremely telling that events like this meant for empowering/celebrating women are always met with cries for "what about male only events!" which blatantly give away the fact that for them it's more about excluding women than celebrating men.

Sai-kun

Banned
How facetious. So you think creating an inequality when before there wasn't one is progress? Sometimes it not about fixing an inequality but preventing one.

Oh yes, this finally challenges that male only cinema problem the world has been suffering lately.

Dan, this is a showing of a two hour movie.

Slayven

Man people are so petty they salty at the smallest things, but it is cute when they wrap it in " this is setting progress back". Lol so transparent

Zolo

So I guess I missed how this is a MRA thing? Like I see the screenshots of guys complaining. But I mean you can literally find this anywhere. People piss and moan on the internet, don't have to go very far too see that.

Yeah. Literally every live chat session and almost every comment section on Youtube I've come across is pretty horrible.

From Mad Max to Star Wars to Ghostbusters, a lot of shitty guys, specifically nerd bros, really don't like it when women have something that is catered to them.
It's not the first woman superhero movie

It's not the first but it's the first to possibly be successful critically and financially and become influential for future female led superhero movies.

mclem

Surprised there is not a counter controversy over who makes them the ombudsman of what a woman is?

Ill await it, it is inevitable.

Well, that's pretty much covered by how they phrased the statement: They explicitly are not making themselves such.

when Spider Man comes out they better have a showing exclusively for people who have been bitten by radioactive spiders! or else they're big fat hypocrites!

Sold out in Australia.

How facetious. So you think creating an inequality when before there wasn't one is progress? Sometimes it not about fixing an inequality but preventing one.

Oh yes, this finally challenges that male only cinema problem the world has been suffering lately.

I think women having a movie that celebrates a cultural icon is progress. I think allowing women to have a particular movie in a particular city on a particular day at a particular time to celebrate a cultural icon for them is not a big fucking deal.

I think hyper-sensitive men that act as gender equality police and insist that any sliver of perceived discrimination against them is unacceptable, after an eternity of shitting all over women, is embarrassing for both themselves and men in general.

Riposte

While reading the site the irony occurred to me that the whole point of Wonder Woman is that she leaves an all-woman island to fight alongside men.

Off-topic: The Germans being the bad guys in a WW1 movie rubs me the wrong way. I wonder if they are going to be superficial about it. It would be weird if they make it seem Ares is only influencing one side. "taking the fight to the Kaiser and to Ares himself" - good grief.

Faynwulf

I would bet almost every one of those people complaining watches a fair bit of MEN ONLY SPORTS, yet a few screens play time for a movie gets them hot and bothered.

Huh?

You know that everyone is allowed to watch whatever sport they want, right? No one is going to deny a woman the right to watch football. (the real european football, what elese would you watch?)

Or do you mean a sport that's only allowed to be played by men? Which one would that be? You do know that WW doesn't have an all-women cast, right? So that comparison doesn't really work.

Just curious what you mean.

Personally I don't really care what the Alamo Drafthouse does. I think a local cinema does couple nights. I'm not in arms about that either.

Pizza

I'm jealous! I want to see Wonder Woman real bad!

Hopefully a lady I know will go and give me the scoop, sounds like a cool event for the first female-centric superhero movie we've had in awhile!

mclem

I think women having a movie that celebrates a cultural icon is progress. I think allowing women to have a particular movie in a particular city on a particular day at a particular time to celebrate a cultural icon for them is not a big fucking deal.

If anything, I'm thinking this is a little bit shitty for non-Austin women - no fault of Alamo there, of course! Hopefully other places will consider following suit.

kcp12304

Banned
Texas is trying to make abortion illegal but who cares about that. The really problem is I feel excluded because I can't go to one showing about a movie featuring a feminist icon. QQ

Glad this kind of thing is finally for a movie better than Fifty Shades Of Grey or Twilight.

I could see this kind of thing happening for more female-majority films like Rough Night and Girls Trip.

Damn, two screenings out of hundreds in a year in a city that has six Drafthouses that tries to create a fun space for a ladies night and this is what it takes for people to start clucking about 'paternalistic chauvinism' and 'hypocritical sexism.' Where the fuck are y'all the rest of the year?

For real, dude.

Where are these defenders of equality when it actually matters?

This is great. People are jackasses.

Man, can't wait for the Alamo Drafthouse in Los Angeles to open.

Seems like such a cool place. I really want to watch Episode VIII there.

While reading the site the irony occurred to me that the whole point of Wonder Woman is that she leaves an all-woman island to fight alongside men.

Off-topic: The Germans being the bad guys in a WW1 movie rubs me the wrong way. I wonder if they are going to be superficial about it. It would be weird if they make it seem Ares is only influencing one side. "taking the fight to the Kaiser and to Ares himself" - good grief.
She leaves Themyscira cuz she's the only Amazon that believes she can change "Man's World" for the better.
I don't think this is cool.
lol

Mohonky

Because women are historically excluded from male dominant spaces. Outside of just a random ass tuesday movie showing, too.

Come on now, I know yall are not this dense.

You say this isn't a big deal, but have a look at the responses in this thread celebrating the idea followed immediately by the goading of the idea of 'çis white men' like it's some sort of collective?

The whole thing is really strange to me to be honest.

BigRedOne

A) Can't men go to another movie theatre?
B) why are Alamo Draft houses a big deal?
C) is this retribution for most comic movie consumers being males disliking D C movies and shitting them out a big publicity ploy?

Having seen it, the conflict isn't portrayed as black and white. No.

Top Bottom