• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

The reason it's a not a "Womens Night" vs a "Womens Only" is literally for the marketing dollars. Nothing else. I'm fine with this. Especially since so many alt-right fucks are so rewarded for their stupidity. I try not to let that shitty fact bother me. But it does. Especially when I read the Times and Trump did another traitorous thing. I'm gonna enjoy the salt.
If they really wanted to shake people up they could do black only showings for that tupac movie
They don't have the balls nor could they afford the drop in 'offended white people' money.

But I want them to do this now.

You say this isn't a big deal, but have a look at the responses in this thread celebrating the idea followed immediately by the goading of the idea of 'çis white men' like it's some sort of collective?
The only people I see talking about anything "cis" or "white" are people trying to make fun of or disagree with this kind of event.

mclem

I think hyper-sensitive men that act as gender equality police and insist that any sliver of perceived discrimination against them is unacceptable, after an eternity of shitting all over women, is embarrassing for both themselves and men in general.
The bit that's incredibly difficult to navigate socially - and if we can, as a society, do that, we've got a shot at turning a corner - is the logic that "I'm basically Not An Arsehole to women, so I'm offended at being lumped in with people who Are Arseholes to women" - and it's tough, because many of these people won't have consciously done anything wrong. The issue is the unconscious stuff, that they may not recognise, and in some cases may not even be able to change in themselves. It's not even necessarily directly their fault!

The way I came to terms with it in myself was fairly simple: As a member of the dominant class, if my presence makes people of another group uncomfortable, that's fine, and... that's it, basically. If removing my presence makes them happier, there's nothing wrong with that.

Hylian7

A) Can't men go to another movie theatre?
B) why are Alamo Draft houses a big deal?
C) is this retribution for most comic movie consumers being males disliking D C movies and shitting them out a big publicity ploy?

A} They can literally go to the same theatre, two of the showtimes (and I guess a third they are adding) are women only, there's still a general one left at that theatre. Even if you don't want to go to that specific theatre, there are a billion Alamo Drafthouse theatres in Austin.

B) They have a long-standing tradition of strict moviegoer rules. They warn and kick people out for talking, cell phones, etc. On top of that they do cool events like this all the time. They do stuff where they show old movies with some kind of twists, musical sing-along screenings. They also serve food in the theatre. I know the latter is becoming a more common thing these days, but they were one of the earlier theatres to do it.

C) No.

jaxpunk

From Mad Max to Star Wars to Ghostbusters, a lot of shitty guys, specifically nerd bros, really don't like it when women have something that is catered to them.

It's not the first but it's the first to possibly be successful critically and financially and become influential for future female led superhero movies.

Boy your definition of "alot" must be different than mine. Because if I see random assholes on the internet, I don't immediately think that's "alot" of people. Jerks are going to be jerks, trolls troll and if you read much into it beyond that. Welp. Also I would lean towards mad max and star wars not being films catered to women. That they are all audience movies, ya know because that's where the cash is, including everyone.

Zolo

It's not the first but it's the first to possibly be successful critically and financially and become influential for future female led superhero movies.

Damn! The creators of the previous female-led superhero movies must have had low expectations!

Grifter

👵🏽👩🏿👩🏾🙍🏽👨🏼🙎🏼👩🏻👩🏾

This is so great. I'm going to Alamo again soon for whatever movie I decide to see next. Doing awesome shit like this gets my business.

Also: hope WW turns out good to make it even more worthwhile for the ladies that turn out for the screenings.

Boy your definition of "alot" must be different than mine. Because if I see random assholes on the internet, I don't immediately think that's "alot" of people. Jerks are going to be jerks, trolls troll and if you read much into it beyond that. Welp. Also I would lean towards mad max and star wars not being films catered to women. That they are all audience movies, ya know because that's where the cash is, including everyone.

I guess you missed the Furiosa and Rey controversy. Or the controversy that Star Wars wants to appeal to minorities more than white people. And no, we can't act like it's a small number and we can't just dismiss them as "trolls will be trolls" cuz that solves nothing. I don't like these shitheads in our community and it's great that they're constantly being put on blast. I don't care how big or small their numbers are.
Damn! The creators of the previous female-led superhero movies must have had low expectations!
They tried.

If they really wanted to shake people up they could do black only showings for that tupac movie

Some how I feel they wouldn't be as shook because racist wouldn't care because they wouldn't even want to see the movie, but I feel like when it comes to Women (especially a white women super hero) they feel like they lose control and feel like they arent dominant. I'm not an academic in racism/sexism issues, but I feel like racism is about hate and labeling the 'other', while sexism is about power/dominance. Both of course are born from ignorance.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
All the posters complaining about gender inequality: you aren't fooling anyone, you disingenuous faux-progressives. Just sayin'.

bIsg7Xz.jpg

Link
This is amazing :D

jaxpunk

I guess you missed the Furiosa and Rey controversy. Or the controversy that Star Wars wants to appeal to minorities more than white people. And no, we can't act like it's a small number and we can't just dismiss them as "trolls will be trolls" cuz that solves nothing. I don't like these shitheads in our community and it's great that they're constantly being put on blast. I don't care how big or small their numbers are.

They tried.

I want to say I saw something about the Rey thing. But I again don't buy into the bullshit. Crazies are gonna be crazy, what am I going to do to change their mind? What are you going to do to change their mind? Nothing. So by shitheads you mean people who don't directly agree with you? See that's where I differ, I will actually seek out other viewpoints to get the other side of the story. If I don't I'm just patting myself on the back going, good job pal we know we are always right.

Given the history of theaters and segregation I can understand why they might be a little cautious with that.
True, but if they promote the event well, I honestly don't think it would be taken like that. And hey, a portion of the proceeds could go to the ACLU.

I'm in it for the salt and the amount of offended snowflakes, cause I'm petty as fuck, but whatever makes the most sense to do. I'm no marketer or PR person.

Platy

The tears are delicious.

And HUGE kudos for Drafthouse for the inclusivity rules and being awesome

Smacks of the historical problems even liberal groups have had where women are somehow turned into a minority class despite being literally half the world population.

Minority does not LITERALLY means minority.

Poor people are minorities and they are literally the biggest group in the world.

RDreamer

What the hell are "men only sports"?

Women can play in the NBA or NFL? Tons of colleges and high schools don't have programs for specific sports for girls.

The point was that society as a whole is ridiculously slanted toward men and men's activities and these people obviously don't see that or register that. They only register in the few instances where they might be excluded. j

Huh?

You know that everyone is allowed to watch whatever sport they want, right? No one is going to deny a woman the right to watch football. (the real european football, what elese would you watch?)

Or do you mean a sport that's only allowed to be played by men? Which one would that be? You do know that WW doesn't have an all-women cast, right? So that comparison doesn't really work.

Just curious what you mean.

Personally I don't really care what the Alamo Drafthouse does. I think a local cinema does couple nights. I'm not in arms about that either.

Everyone is allowed to watch Wonder Woman. Everyone is even allowed to watch Wonder Woman at the Alamo Drafthouse. There are a few screenings that are women only.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I want to say I saw something about the Rey thing. But I again don't buy into the bullshit. Crazies are gonna be crazy, what am I going to do to change their mind? What are you going to do to change their mind? Nothing. So by shitheads you mean people who don't directly agree with you? See that's where I differ, I will actually seek out other viewpoints to get the other side of the story. If I don't I'm just patting myself on the back going, good job pal we know we are always right.

Please relay to us those opinions from the other side. I'm certain they're grounded, reasonable and not at all shitty.

If you wanna listen to dudes that believe in reverse sexism and think men deserve their own exclusive screening then good luck.

jaxpunk

Please relay to us those opinions from the other side. I'm certain they're grounded, reasonable and not at all shitty.

Oh I'm looking back at my post where I mentioned they were grounded or reasonable. But your just being cheeky I get it. To throw it back at you, how is the civil war you called for previously working out? That totally seemed grounded and reasonable!

If you wanna listen to dudes that believe in reverse sexism and think men deserve their own exclusive screening then good luck.

Not what I said, but clearly feathers are being ruffled. I am going to actually do some work and slowly back out of this thread.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh I'm looking back at my post where I mentioned they were grounded or reasonable. But your just being cheeky I get it. To throw it back at you, how is the civil war you called for previously working out? That totally seemed grounded and reasonable!

Civil war? And I'm still waiting to hear these worthwhile opinions from the other side.

Massicot

The whole "this is just more exclusion!" comes across like the people who'd say "I don't see color!" or shit like that.

Zaphrynn

As a woman who has participated in nerd spaces since I was in elementary school (I'm 29 now), yes there is A LOT of push-back against women having women things, and it directly affects women. It has directly affected me countless ways. And it certainly affects how women perceive these spaces and can often cause them to completely avoid it. Despite wanting a computer science degree and despite loving video games, I will probably do all I can to avoid working in video games. Part of this is because one small, tiny thing can cause an avalanche of shit to fall on you from ridiculous male fans. I don't want to potentially deal with that. Yes, men get this flack too, but anyone who pays attention and listens with open ears knows that women get flack x 1000.

And it certainly isn't just the rabid MRAs that have been total assholes to me because of my gender and interests. If you're not a minority, it can be easy to miss the very real consequences these attitudes have, and how pervasive they really are.

All the posters complaining about gender inequality: you aren't fooling anyone, you disingenuous faux-progressives. Just sayin'.

Yep.

I wish I had an Alamo near me so much. would love to go to an event like this!

Jakoo

Brilliant move by Alamo Drafthouse--this will generate tons of free publicity from the faux-outrage brigade on the right without really negatively impacting any movie goer.

This movie is going to be in every theater this summer in multiple time slots: no one who wants to see this movie is going to be unable to on the basis of this. Even if they eventually did the same thing for dudes for a "male" movie, I don't think anyone would really care.

Platy

This is pretty gender inequal to have a female driven movie in a female audience with female employees... we should go back to the gender inequality of the sea of male driven movie in a mostly male audience with mostly male employees.

Oh yes, this finally challenges that male only cinema problem the world has been suffering lately.

1) it is not about that

2) hollywood executives kinda think that way since they were always saying that only movie with white men can be blockbusters even after lots of women and PoC driven movies reached international success (and the idea goes like men can't relate to women therefore every movie must have a men so that the huge male audience can relate and buy more tickets)

Brinbe

The best part of this thread so far is those regulars coming in to question it. Y'all ain't slick
zWVbK.gif
KuGsj.gif

Mosy on back to redpill, you'll find more like-minded reaction on there.

You get that if a bunch of people are being assholes on the internet, chances are it's not actually just one or two people with a bunch of different accounts, right?

Not what I said, but clearly feathers are being ruffled.

Specifically yours.

Dipper145

Women can play in the NBA or NFL? Tons of colleges and high schools don't have programs for specific sports for girls.

Can they technically? Yeah (I think so at least, but please correct me if I'm wrong). But as you said there isn't a huge amount of support for women sports throughout educational institutions, so it doesn't happen.

Top Bottom