• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

I guess it'ss a form of cis privilege to not have to "worry about it". :/

My personal philosophy for these types of things is to promote events that are clearly targeting certain demographics but without hard exclusions. Once you have to subjectivity figure out categories for someone it gets dicey.

I'm sorry if my post came across the wrong way, I just meant that they said anyone who identifies as a woman is invited and I don't think they're going to stop someone at the gate and check their ID. I imagine they'd just be going on an honor system since all the proceeds are going to planned parenthood and a fun event, and from what I know Alamo Drafthouse has been very LGBTQ friendly.

I guess it'ss a form of cis privilege to not have to "worry about it". :/

My personal philosophy for these types of things is to promote events that are clearly targeting certain demographics but without hard exclusions. Once you have to subjectivity figure out categories for someone it gets dicey.

Despite me enjoying some people on the internet getting upset and yelling about double standards, and hypocrisy, for something so minuscule; I do think that's the best way to handle it.

There's a way to promote specifically for Women to attend without having to say No Men, and the few men that happen to show up just let them in.

Male genocide.

Not so distant future
south-park-s20e10c05-the-cum-and-joke-mines-of-mars_16x9.jpg

lol its pretty funny seeing guys get triggered by this. I personally have no issue with it. Do I think its kind of dumb? Sure. If guys were doing this, this shit would not fly at all, and I wouldn't support it.

Hope they have an awesome time.

sarcastor

It's an interesting idea, but "category" based exclusion always gets iffy at the margins.

Exclusion going to be based on id card sex? Or on appearance?

everything gets iffy at the margins if people are stupid about it.

They allow any one who identifies themselves as women to show up. So there's no bouncer at the door. However if a bunch of bros show up just to be dicks, there could probably be a roomful of angry women staring at them.

lol its pretty funny seeing guys get triggered by this. I personally have no issue with it. Do I think its kind of dumb? Sure. If guys were doing this, this shit would not fly at all, and I wouldn't support it.

It's called a double standard. A black person can wear a t-shirt wearing black pride, but a white person wearing a white pride t-shirt will get looked at funny.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Despite me enjoying some people on the internet getting upset and yelling about double standards, and hypocrisy, for something so minuscule; I do think that's the best way to handle it.

There's a way to promote specifically for Women to attend without having to say No Men, and the few men that happen to show up just let them in.

I feel like it would end up being women's night at bars, where you'd still get an onslaught of men.

Nor do I think anyone who shows up with their daughter let's say 9 or 10, is going to be turned away. Never seen women not be encouraging to fathers or brothers who go out of their way, to do things like this for their daughters/sisters.

I feel like it would end up being women's night at bars, where you'd still get an onslaught of men.

Nor do I think anyone who shows up with their daughter let's say 9 or 10, is going to be turned away. Never seen women not be encouraging to fathers or brothers who go out of their way, to do things like this for their daughters/sisters.

I mean, that's the point of Ladies night at bars, let them in free and/or drink for free so men have incentive to come in droves and pay to come in and pay for drinks. The Ladies are the bait, hence why clubs and bars constantly use that promotion.

I agree with the no turning anybody away with their daughter, it's just promoting it as NO MEN is kinda sketchy. They're better off turning away men who try to enter with no women to another screening in their theater, than promote it as No Men in their advertising.

RDreamer

I mean, that's the point of Ladies night at bars, let them in free and/or drink for free so men have incentive to come in droves and pay to come in and pay for drinks. The Ladies are the bait, hence why clubs and bars constantly use that promotion.

I agree with the no turning anybody away with their daughter, it's just promoting it as NO MEN is kinda sketchy. They're better off turning away men who try to enter with no women to another screening in their theater, than promote it as No Men in their advertising.

Wait, so ladies as bait is not sketchy, but having a time for only ladies so they can escape the toxic masculine bullshit nerd hobbies like comic movies can come with and celebrate a woman centric movie is sketchy?

Imm0rt4l

I'm not surprised to see some of the reactionaries in this thread on some false equivalency bullshit, even though folks love to tout the progressive credentials of neogaf. What I love about some of the sort of responses like in the OP, is that manchildren have seemingly zero self-awareness. Their behavior is what necessitates women carving out their own spaces in what is an otherwise hostile environment. It's just a reminder that nerd/comic fandoms are inherently toxic because they're male dominant and skew towards whiteness. Where are all the femme gaffers? Would be nice for them to chime in, but a lot of them are gone. I wonder why that is? Some of y'all really ain't shit fr fr.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
text says "people who identify as a woman" so I´m legit surprised no one is organizing like a prostest where a bunch of dudes show up and say they identify as women and cause a scene or something.

One guy in the comments on FB was half-heartedly doing that and they were like "Thanks for the money"

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Wasn't going to see it anyway but now I'm boycotting the movie. Absolutely sickening what this country has come to. I'm crying.

jtb

Banned
Every lovely response to this is a pleasant reminder that the rise of the far-right happened, in large part, within the video game (and general "nerd") community.

Wait, so ladies as bait is not sketchy, but having a time for only ladies so they can escape the toxic masculine bullshit nerd hobbies like comic movies can come with and celebrate a woman centric movie is sketchy?

On a technical sense, exclusion by gender gets sketchy, especially if you bring attention to it. Ladies night is mutually beneficial for everybody involved and even then it gets sketchy from a legal sense, since it could be considered sexist that women can get in free and/or drinks for free and men can't, hence some states having banned it already when challenged.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Heard same shit for Ghostbusters too yeah will see in week or two

The Alamo did a female-only screening for Ghostbusters?

I find it funny that that's your go-to comparison, whilst also coming into the thread about this specific screening for your hilarious post. Not the box-office thread. This one.

I wonder what the motivation behind that was.

Fuchsdh

I think the ladies' night stuff is sketchy too at this point. (Hell, I'd entertain the argument against gendered sports, although with physical ones you have to deal with the fact that the vast majority of pro women in a lot of sports wouldn't play at the same level as men and it could potentially spell doom for women's leagues and offer fewer opportunities.) I mean, you can find the Alamo's decision iffy, and also not think it's as big a deal as continued inequalities women face, or that equality has been achieved, or rape is a myth, woman have the real power, or whatever other bullshit talking points you could come up with. It ain't an all-or-nothing bit.

This is the ultimate carny move cause it's on Tuesday, AKA cheap movie day AKA nobody goes to the movies on Tuesday day

I SEE YOU ALAMO

Any word on the soundtrack? Even if the movie is great, if the soundtrack doesn't deliver the goods, it'll be a problem with me just as it was a huge problem with me with Civil War.

Wait, so, it's a screening the Tuesday after release? It's not an early screening? So what the fuck are they complaining about? They're still have 4-5 days to see the movie at Alamo, and every day after the screening for as long as the movie runs there. Fucking hell, this is an embarrassment.

This movie is gonna bomb so hard lol dc

I take that last line back. This is an embarrassment.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
When has a DC film had a bad sound track?

Wouldn't call them bad, but they've all been forgettable. Except the Wonder Woman theme in BvS, which was more notable because of how ridiculous it was.

It's kind of a dark time for movie scores in general, so this isn't something I'd single the DC movies out on.

Imm0rt4l

I think the ladies' night stuff is sketchy too at this point. (Hell, I'd entertain the argument against gendered sports, although with physical ones you have to deal with the fact that the vast majority of pro women in a lot of sports wouldn't play at the same level as men and it could potentially spell doom for women's leagues and offer fewer opportunities.) I mean, you can find the Alamo's decision iffy, and also not think it's as big a deal as continued inequalities women face, or that equality has been achieved, or rape is a myth, woman have the real power, or whatever other bullshit talking points you could come up with. It ain't an all-or-nothing bit.

Oh look, the concern trolling and equivocating I mentioned earlier just keeps happening. Why don't you take your 'concern' to where it actually matters? Why aren't you saying "Man, it sucks that women feel so compelled to wall themselves off from men so they can enjoy a feminist superhero in an environment that isn't hostile; maybe I need to gather my people(men) and set them straight". But nah...instead you wanna go the concern trolling route because you think women are being divisive. As if men aren't the one causing the stink to begin with.

Top Bottom