• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alamo Drafthouse hosting women-only Wonder Woman screenings June 6th

RDreamer

Can they technically? Yeah (I think so at least, but please correct me if I'm wrong). But as you said there isn't a huge amount of support for women sports throughout educational institutions, so it doesn't happen.

The point wasn't to be a direct analogy. It was to show that these people complaining directly see cultural inequality every single day the other way and don't bat an eye. They don't actually care about inequality or exclusion. They're just snowflakes butt hurt when they're symbolically excluded by the class of people they toxically oppress every day anyway.

Zaphrynn

The point wasn't to be a direct analogy. It was to show that these people complaining directly see cultural inequality every single day the other way and don't bat an eye. They don't actually care about inequality or exclusion. They're just snowflakes butt hurt when they're symbolically excluded by the class of people they toxically oppress every day anyway.

Right? I'd like to see some complaints from men on behalf of women for the "pink tax". Doubt these dudes are writing to their local hair salon about how it's bullshit women get charged a higher price for haircuts regardless of their actual hair. Instead, these types like to dance around and try to explain away why there's an inequality and why it's justified that they do nothing about it.

Fergie

Banned
That's truly pathetic.

These dudes are everywhere whenever something is female-centric, while ignoring all the male-centric stuff around them. It's quite sad.

ldcommando

Banned
text says "people who identify as a woman" so I´m legit surprised no one is organizing like a prostest where a bunch of dudes show up and say they identify as women and cause a scene or something.

Oscar

I live stumbling distance from an Alamo Drafthouse, it's the GOAT movie theater. They have solid food/drinks, and a zero tolerance policy for people who talk or shine their phones. Also, they usually have preshows relevant to the movie. Beats stupid trivia questions.

Haven't been to an AMC/standard movie joint since.

Massicot

text says "people who identify as a woman" so I´m legit surprised no one is organizing like a prostest where a bunch of dudes show up and say they identify as women and cause a scene or something.

this will probably happen

i think alamos best response in that case would be to just let it happen and continue to not give a fuck (unless they are legitimately dangerous or ruining the experience of the other movie-goers, at which they get kicked out like any other movie-ruining nobs)

SoundLad

I'm okay with this, why is this even news? Because some men are getting offended cos they can't go see WW at some specific showing times at a specific theatre?

:lol

I've been there only once and I fucking hated it. Maybe I need to give it another try.

What did you hate about it? I use to live in Austin, and loved going to the Drafthouse because there was no bullshit about cellphone/texting use, and the crowds were generally really into the movie. Food and drinks were great too. The only thing that I didn't care for was that sometimes the waters/waitresses were distracting in the middle of a film.

That would require the people complaining about it actually crawl out from under their bridge and go somewhere in person where they'd be surrounded by women disgusted by their shitty attempt at staging some kind of "protest." And the money they paid for the tickets would be going to Planned Parenthood. And if they were being disruptive they'd get kicked out anyway.

Like I can't imagine setting the stage for your own embarrassment more than that.

i think alamos best response in that case would be to just let it happen and continue to not give a fuck (unless they are legitimately dangerous or ruining the experience of the other movie-goers, at which they get kicked out like any other movie-ruining nobs)
Or post a pic and congratulate all the people who came out as women and welcome them to the community. That would just piss the MRAs off more.

ldcommando

Banned
That would require the people complaining about it actually crawl out from under their bridge and go somewhere in person where they'd be surrounded by women disgusted by their shitty attempt at staging some kind of "protest." And the money they paid for the tickets would be going to Planned Parenthood. And if they were being disruptive they'd get kicked out anyway.

Like I can't imagine setting the stage for your own embarrassment more than that.

I don´t know. With social media you can never underestimate what people are willing to do to record and put online. But I guess you have a point, it could set up some major embarassment.

dickroach

the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn is so so awesome.
I go there every chance I get. gonna see Dr Stangelove on Sunday

I don´t know. With social media you can never underestimate what people are willing to do to record and put online. But I guess you have a point, it could set up some major embarassment.

I don't see what they could do. Oh no they paid money that goes to a charity so they could sit in silence and watch a movie because they can't be disruptive by talking or anything or they'll get kicked out because Alamo doesn't fuck around with that.

Next you'll tell me they'll buy some Hamilton tickets and tear them up months after the show is sold out!

ldcommando

Banned
I don't see what they could do. Oh no they paid money that goes to a charity so they could sit in silence and watch a movie because they can't be disruptive by talking or anything or they'll get kicked out because Alamo doesn't fuck around with that.

Next you'll tell me they'll buy some Hamilton tickets and tear them up months after the show is sold out!

as I said, can´t underestimate the crazies. But you are probably right, this doesn´t look like it´s getting any traction on the usual internet mra lairs.

This is a neat thing that some people in this thread are speaking as if it's an example of oppression against men, with the comparison being made to direct discrimination against gay people at bakeries.

lol

Or post a pic and congratulate all the people who came out as women and welcome them to the community. That would just piss the MRAs off more.

That sounds like an unfortunate can of worms, especially if you accidentally outed an actual trans person :v

This is a neat thing that some people in this thread are speaking as if it's an example of oppression against men, with the comparison being made to direct discrimination against gay people at bakeries.

lol

That sounds like an unfortunate can of worms, especially if you accidentally outed an actual trans person :v
Fair point.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
bIsg7Xz.jpg

Link

LOL - this is pretty good.

Platy

That would actualy require than to go against their fragile masculinity

All the posters complaining about gender inequality: you aren't fooling anyone, you disingenuous faux-progressives. Just sayin'.

It would be gender inequality in an ideal world.

So people saying that this is gender inequality are pretty happy with how women (and why not, men) are treated by the patriarchy

I feel that MRAs would literally show up dressed as women, thinking that's how one would have to identify as a woman.

I think this is harmless and kind of funny, but wouldn't this violate the Federal civil rights law protecting against discrimination in "public" businesses (movie theaters fall under this category)?

http://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-42-the-public-health-and-welfare/42-usc-sect-2000a.html
All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
[...]
any motion picture house, theater, concert hall, sports arena, stadium or other place of exhibition or entertainment;  and

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
There are other showings at the same theater that are not women only so no one is getting discriminated against.

Fair enough, I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the prior case law. Maybe "equal access but separate" is good enough to pass muster in this case, though uh...saying it like that sounds bad

That's going to happen, almost guaranteed.

I honestly don't think anyone cares that much. If they show up and say they identify as women...great, fine, whatever, they're still paying for a donation to PP and will get kicked out if they're disruptive. Like it's not shocking or edgy or anything, and people there are going to think they're dumb.

I think this is harmless and kind of funny, but wouldn't this violate the Federal civil rights law protecting against discrimination in "public" businesses (movie theaters fall under this category)?

http://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-42-the-public-health-and-welfare/42-usc-sect-2000a.html

I think there are a lot of people online frantically googling scary sounding laws to try and catch them in some kind of criminal act. No one is going to care.

Also it could technically be considered a private event that they're hosting, which makes it no less legal than if someone hosted a private event and only invited men, which they've even suggested someone do!

I honestly don't think anyone cares that much. If they show up and say they identify as women...great, fine, whatever, they're still paying for a donation to PP and will get kicked out if they're disruptive. Like it's not shocking or edgy or anything, and people there are going to think they're dumb.

Plus, haven't these showings all sold out pretty quickly? Unless these neckbeards were savvy enough to buy tickets right away, trying to be disruptive won't go anywhere, as there won't be any tickets to begin with.

Also it could technically be considered a private event that they're hosting, which makes it no less legal than if someone hosted a private event and only invited men, which they've even suggested someone do!

Yeah, a private event would definitely make sense, good call.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It's an interesting idea, but "category" based exclusion always gets iffy at the margins.

Exclusion going to be based on id card sex? Or on appearance?

It's an interesting idea, but "category" based exclusion always gets iffy at the margins.

Exclusion going to be based on id card sex? Or on appearance?

I honestly truly don't think they are really all that worried about it. It's supposed to be a fun event that everyone on the Internet is taking way too seriously.

Murkas

Lmao at the triggered manbabies.

And that's when they start yelling about freeze peach.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I honestly truly don't think they are really all that worried about it. It's supposed to be a fun event that everyone on the Internet is taking way too seriously.

I guess it'ss a form of cis privilege to not have to "worry about it". :/

My personal philosophy for these types of things is to promote events that are clearly targeting certain demographics but without hard exclusions. Once you have to subjectivity figure out categories for someone it gets dicey.

Top Bottom