• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS+ users are getting a potential GOTY candidate next week...

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
this will no doubt be my GOTY.

RL is the epitome of why videogames are awesome.
I cant describe it any better.

Just play it, and be blown away by the realization that you had forgotten how much fun a game can be.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looking forward to this, looks like tons of fun! I tried the demo (or was it a beta?) of the PS3 game, but never got drawn in. I believe there were a lot of network issues or something...? Whatever it was, I gave up and never gave it another go. But this is looking sweet. I initially thought this was just a remaster of the PS3 game for some reason, but it's an actual sequel right?

SappYoda

Is there a point to the players being cars, aside from "look how wacky we are"? I watched some streams of ths being played, and the cars didn't really behave at all like cars, and the whole thing seemed really arbitrary. Am I just missing something about the car physics and game mechanics?

Think of it this way:
In fifa/pes you are not in direct control of the feet of the players, you point to a direction and the player automatically turns and moves its legs towards that direction as best as he can. You press a button and that gives the player the order to shoot, pass etc. When the player has the ball he automatically tries to keep control of the ball for you as best as his skill stats allows him to. So in that sense soccer games are more like a rts where certain players have certain habilities you are not in direct control of.

Keeping this train of thought a car is as close as you can have direct control of using a standard controller. A car can move forward, backwards, accelerate, slow down and turn. This can easily be directly related to a controller. There is no shoot button in rocket league, no dribble, no complex actions are simplified to direct button press or automated. All those things that you see in gifs or videos are up to the skill of the players controlling the cars.

YOU TELL ME

Please:
excitebots_bowling.gif

excitebots_pieface.gif

excitebots_supersandwich.gif

All images were stolen from KevinCow.

forms

Looking forward to this, looks like tons of fun! I tried the demo (or was it a beta?) of the PS3 game, but never got drawn in. I believe there were a lot of network issues or something...? Whatever it was, I gave up and never gave it another go. But this is looking sweet. I initially thought this was just a remaster of the PS3 game for some reason, but it's an actual sequel right?

Same here, I was under the impression that it was just another rehash of the old game. Somehow this has me interested, however. It just looks fun.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
im 31 years now.
ive played a lot of games in my life, i started with the atari2600, c64, nes, snes..

over the years i slowly but steadily came to the conclusion that i will never have as much fun with a game anymore as i had as a kid with games like, say mario kart.

and then came Rocket League.
and this is it. this just legit is IT!

i dearly hope for you all that you will have as much fun as I and alot of others have, because I had forgotten how much fun a game can be. genuine fun.

dock

I wasn't even going to download this, as I don't play online much, don't like soccer or sports or cars.
I assume there's not much point to play otherwise?

Z..

Seems awesome!

All of gaf's musings on fun make it obvious that you people are in desperate need of some nintendo coursing through your veins, though...

gooey

Neo Member
Pretty sure the beta for this game was the only time I pressed the 'share' button on purpose with that controller...

I wasn't even going to download this, as I don't play online much, don't like soccer or sports or cars.
I assume there's not much point to play otherwise?

Do you have friends or family? Do you have co-workers or collegues?

Heck, you can invite your local starbucks cashier to play a round with you if you want.

P.S: This games can be played 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, offline, online, co-op online, splitscreen online and with bots. People don't have an excuse why not to play this game.

dock

Do you have friends or family? Do you have co-workers or collegues?

Heck, you can invite your local starbucks cashier to play a round with you if you want.

P.S: This games can be played 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, offline, online, co-op online, splitscreen online and with bots. People don't have an excuse why not to play this game.
I live with my gf, who isn't into this stuff.
I've never enjoyed being headset-guy or waiting around for people to show up online.
Also, the football theming does put me off quite a lot. It's pretty easy in the UK to strongly dislike football as a culture and icon.

I'll try it.

Vaga

I hope the OP didn't discolate a shoulder while relating a game that isn't even out yet. I honestly cannot believe that this level of blind fanboyism is somehow deemed to be suddenly be OK.

I have no idea if the game is going to be or not,and I honestly hope it is, but this thread is some Gamefaqs level of bullshit.

upvkxumqza.png

Moobabe

I've never enjoyed being headset-guy or waiting around for people to show up online.
Also, the football theming does put me off quite a lot. It's pretty easy in the UK to strongly dislike football as a culture and icon.

I'll try it.

You can dislike multi millionaires lying high as a kite in a street in Shagaluf - we all do.

This is a game about cars flying around knocking giant balls into goals. I wouldn't say this is pandering to that culture.

Terrified

YOU TELL ME

I had no idea what this game was at all, and was just looking forward to trying a few titles I've not heard of this month.

After seeing this GIF, I know I need to let this game into my heart like the sweet lord, our saviour, Jesus Christ. I don't even play multiplayer/online, but I'll definitely be giving this a go. Looks. Like. Fun.

FDC1

I'll try it.

This is not football, it's its own thing. You can as much compare it to handball or any other sport where 2 opposite teams try to take control of a ball to score points.

Vex_

Banned
I understand you are excited for this game op, but there are WAY too many
potential
killers this year.

Off the top of my head:

Mgsv
F4
P5
Star Wars

And then there are those very solid releases earlier this year:

Bloodborne
Batman ArK
Witcher 3

Im excited for this game, but I am equally afeard of its PS4 killing potential. Thing makes everyone's console sound like a jet. Nah. I will wait until my
guinea pigs
GAF reports the game is safe to play.

M.W.

Best goddamn game I've played this year. And I've played Bloodborne, Witcher, Batman...this game is pure bliss. It's just an addicting, put a giant smile on your face, fucking good time.

I've been watching a stream archive of a guy playing it for the last two hours and the game is actually a lot of fun to spectate.

This game looks like it has a good skill ceiling, It's gonna be great to see what a team of three good players can do lobbing passes to each other. So far it's looks like a blast but chaotic, the way this guy was positioning the ball and his car showed me there is a good amount of depth here.

Im excited for this game, but I am equally afeard of its PS4 killing potential. Thing makes everyone's console sound like a jet. Nah. I will wait until my
guinea pigs
GAF reports the game is safe to play.

Been playing a lot of Witcher 3, huh? ;)

On topic, i was taken aback at how much people were looking forward to this in the PS+ thread even before it was announced. Just glancing at a video quickly it didn't seem like anything i'd be interested in, but this thread is really selling me on it, good job!

Vex_

Banned
Been playing a lot of Witcher 3, huh? ;)

Haha XD

Yea. The game rubbed off on me a bit.

Also, I dont remember that car model in the new training videos ever being in the beta?

Also, it feels bizzarre seeing a different map. So used to seeing only one.

gadwn

Really glad it's coming to Plus. It's awesome for these kinda games, now I don't have to convince my friends to be able to play with someone. :)

Greddleok

I'll definitely give this game a go, but those gifs scare me. It looks difficult.

How hard is it to do all those crazy shots?

I'll definitely give this game a go, but those gifs scare me. It looks difficult.

How hard is it to do all those crazy shots?

Definitely takes practice. You won't be flying and flipping right when you start. But the great part is that the game is so damn fun you'll never want to stop playing, and you're always practicing when you're playing, so you're always getting better

Top Bottom