• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS+ users are getting a potential GOTY candidate next week...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do you have to manually set up that shot with the car, or is that just aim assist?

EDIT: looks like the teammate passes the ball to you and it gets magnetized to the car
There is no assist for anything, everything is completely physics based. You have to orient your car appropriately using the right stick.

Do you have to manually set up that shot with the car, or is that just aim assist?

EDIT: looks like your teammate passes you the ball and it gets magnetized to your car

theres no magnetization or anything. you gotta set it all up.

in this gif they got lucky thats all.

EDIT: looks like the teammate passes the ball to you and it gets magnetized to the car
There's is absolutely zero aim assist in the game.

You may think it looks magnetized perhaps because of the camera: you can either have a fixed camera that always points forward (along with a 3D arrow that points where the ball is), or you can have the camera always be fixed on the ball. That's the case in the gif.

But no, there's no aim assist and pulling off a move like that on purpose is very difficult.

Isn't every game potentially game of the year?
hush.gif
laugh.gif

LegoArmo

Yes, you should watch me play Rocket League some time. The ball is definitely not magnetised to your car... So many hilarious misjudgements.

Sorry team.

Yes, you should watch me play Rocket League some time. The ball is definitely not magnetised to your car... So many hilarious misjudgements.

Sorry team.
I played the beta for dozens of hours and got pretty decent at the game, and I'll still fuck up missing a wide open net because I get too excited or mis-time the boost.

A lot of highlight videos on YouTube are of course cherry-picking the successful shots, but man when you play against a pro, you know it the entire game.

Is there a point to the players being cars, aside from "look how wacky we are"? I watched some streams of ths being played, and the cars didn't really behave at all like cars, and the whole thing seemed really arbitrary. Am I just missing something about the car physics and game mechanics?

Is there a point to the players being cars, aside from "look how wacky we are"? I watched some streams of ths being played, and the cars didn't really behave at all like cars, and the whole thing seemed really arbitrary. Am I just missing something about the car physics and game mechanics?
Do you think the physics would be the same if the rocket cars were people with feet?

Do you think the physics would be the same if the rocket cars were people with feet?

Yeah, I do. The physics don't look like cars with wheels, and if we are already talking about zero g with rockets, well, people could do that too. The leaping cars look a lot like floaty virtua fighter jumps. Again, it just looked really arbitrary to me.

Tagg9

Yeah, I do. The physics don't look like cars with wheels, and if we are already talking about zero g with rockets, well, people could do that too. The leaping cars look a lot like floaty virtua fighter jumps. Again, it just looked really arbitrary to me.

PNYRZ.gif

I really don't see how it could work with anything other than cars... but okay.

aravuus

It's not zero gravity, though. They handle like RC cars with rocket propellers in low-ish gravity. It really wouldn't be the same if the cars were people.

pants

I hope the OP didn't discolate a shoulder while relating a game that isn't even out yet. I honestly cannot believe that this level of blind fanboyism is somehow deemed to be suddenly be OK.

I have no idea if the game is going to be or not,and I honestly hope it is, but this thread is some Gamefaqs level of bullshit.

ppSUevt.gif

aHj8LPE.jpg

We're going to get through this together. First, it's not zero g, there is gravity. It's not 100% realistic (to Earth's gravity) since you're able to cling to the walls a bit easier than in real life, but other than that, it's a bunch of cars driving around on the grass. Is it realistic? Not fully, no. The cars can jump. They can do flips once they're in the air. It's a videogame. But within this videogame, they still do very much control as cars.

Now if you're saying that having rocket-powered cars is arbitrary when it could be space-soccer players in jetpacks... first off, you should probably stop using the word arbitrary.

But regardless, controlling a car is very different from controlling a human player. Cars can go forward, backwards (slower), and can turn left and right. They can't pivot. Their momentum is entirely based on four wheels moving forward or backward, whereas FIFA players (for example) have varying degrees of momentum and direction within that momentum. A FIFA player sprinting forward can either slide into a stop and go the opposite way, they can sprint diagonally, they can stop their momentum and pivot at a 90 degree angle.

Then there's the shooting. Humans can shoot with their feet. Aim in different places. They can head the ball too. They can slide tackle. Humans are good at soccer.

Conversely, these cars can only smash the ball. That's not to say there isn't any skill required for the game, because there's tons, but hitting a ball with a moving vehicle in a videogame is very different from doing so with a human. Plus a car's geometry is very different from a human's.

Basically I'm very very confused as to what the argument here is.

Banzai

Well damn, that does look like loads of fun. Thanks for making this thread OP, I might not have even tried this.

KiraXD

looks about as lame as supersonic rocket powered battle cars or whatever that PS3 game was called... its the same game too isnt it? just higher rezzes and p's? not a fan of the first one... ill pass on this one too.

tanuki

The other thing to note to anyone with a passing interest in football, is that it's the best footy game in years. No joke.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm curious if it changes much from SARPBC. I enjoyed that a lot,mbut always felt I wasn't really in control, and goals were more luck than judgement. Does this game have tweaks that give you a little more control, or is it just a case of 'get good'?

Son Of D

As someone who really dislikes football (or soccer if you will) I'm eager to play this. Just looks fun. I read that there's cross play with PC players, is that true?

This does look really fun. How much will it cost for non-PS+ users?
$20 I believe.

There was a game for the ps2 that me and my best bud played shit loads as a kid. We both knew it was terrible but it had a mini game which was just like this, and it was such a laugh. It was 5 vs 5 football match but with cars and a giant ball lol. Was jokes. I think the game was called "Road Trip Adventure"

Lace

looks about as lame as supersonic rocket powered battle cars or whatever that PS3 game was called... its the same game too isnt it? just higher rezzes and p's? not a fan of the first one... ill pass on this one too.
What is going on in this thread? This game looks absolutely amazing based on the gifs.

T-Rex.

Banned
There was a game for the ps2 that me and my best bud played shit loads as a kid. We both knew it was terrible but it had a mini game which was just like this, and it was such a laugh. It was 5 vs 5 football match but with cars and a giant ball lol. Was jokes. I think the game was called "Road Trip Adventure"
Oh man I loved that game. Me and my bro spent a lot of time on that football mode and the one with the sliding doors.

Never thought of buying this or its predecessor because i just cant imagine any control possible. How on earth do you aim/know where the ball is? I just dont get how it workd without being a trial and error thing to actually even touch the ball. I'm really excited to see how it works and how they could make the gameplay fun and not frustrating.

Hasney

Kind of overselling the game a bit. It won't even be in the conversation of downloadable GOTY.

The beta is easily the best game I've played this year, assuming it lives up to it's potential with a smooth launch, then it's going to be in my top 3 by the end of the year barring any surprises that's for sure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never thought of buying this or its predecessor because i just cant imagine any control possible. How on earth do you aim/know where the ball is? I just dont get how it workd without being a trial and error thing to actually even touch the ball. I'm really excited to see how it works and how they could make the gameplay fun and not frustrating.

The original game felt like that to me. But playing local multiplayer with others it didn't matter because everyone was in the same boat. Was just great fun. Assuming it has 4 player local multiplayer this should go on the growing list of great PS4 local MP titles like nidhogg or sports friends.

The Vita version is launching onto PS+ - we won't know if it's any good til then!

It's not cross buy? Got so used to that over previous months.

hydruxo

It's just something you have to play and get a feel for yourself. There are definitely moments where you fly towards the ball trying to hit it only to completely whiff and hit nothing. It's never frustrating though, it's just a matter of getting your timing down and figuring out the best times to boost and jump.

As for knowing where the ball is, there's an indicator on the ground that shows where the ball is in the air.

hao chi

There's two camera types. One just has the camera behind your car, and you can adjust the camera with the right stick; there's also an arrow indicating where the ball is. There's also a ball cam, which automatically follows the ball, and is what people almost always use. You can switch between both with the press of a button.

And you aim the ball by hitting it at different angles/directions and speeds because it's all physics based. You can also do front flips, back flips, and barrel rolls to affect how you hit the ball.

Top Bottom