• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not

So this thread went nearly 30 pages for nothing then?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

IT CANT ALL BE FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vestal

Gold Member
The AMD quote at PCPER doesn't really bear out the article title.
They don't make a statement one way or the other.

they gave an actual quote in the article which is more than we can say for every other article relating to this.

Well, now we can go back to talking about "to the metal coding," move engines, and wizzard sauce.

The AMD quote at PCPER doesn't really bear out the article title.
They don't make a statement one way or the other.

What the hell are you doing Durante? WHY ARE YOU NOT FEEDING THE FLAMES?

I knew the denial reports would come sooner or later.

Just how excited are you for the PS4? please do tell..

Wereroku

they gave an actual quote in the article which is more than we can say for every other article relating to this.

What is weird is the actual quote does not say what the article is claiming. Just says that the rep does not speak for AMD or its partners when it comes to semi custom chips.

well dayum. Maybe they use plain UMA

Plain UMA is pretty rough.

861416_45N21J87463N1Z6237OESCUIRKW8VC_stars-sans-maquillage-30_H115824_L.jpg

Wereroku

This is a complete misinterpretation and only the half truth. The full press statement is:

"During a recent Gamescom 2013 interview, an AMD spokesperson made inaccurate statements regarding the details of our semi-custom APU architectures.
AMD will not comment on the Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PS4 memory architectures and will not speak for Microsoft, Sony or other AMD customers."

This is a very smart move because AMD doesn't need to say whether Xbox One will have hUMA or not.

The author in the article you just linked jumps to conclusions prematurely: Only because Kabini doesn't have hUMA (which we know since several months already) doesn't mean that PS4 won't have it. PS4 is a custom design. PS4 has 8 ACEs and 64 Queues, Kabini has only 4 ACEs and 32 Queues. PS4 has GDDR5 memory controller, Kabini only has DDR3. PS4 has two graphics command processors, Kabini only has one. PS4 is a heavily customized system.

Isn't this proof that the guy did make those statements to the german magazine then? Otherwise AMD would just being saying that the interviewer misinterpreted it.

Durante

So Arnold was right? Is not hUMA?
What we know is that AMD does not officially confirm or deny anything about the memory system of either console. Neither could support hUMA, or both, or just one of them.

Not that their contracts would even allow them to confirm anything, in all likelihood.

Chobel

This is a complete misinterpretation and only the half truth. The full press statement is:

"During a recent Gamescom 2013 interview, an AMD spokesperson made inaccurate statements regarding the details of our semi-custom APU architectures.
AMD will not comment on the Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PS4 memory architectures and will not speak for Microsoft, Sony or other AMD customers."

This is a very smart move because AMD doesn't need to say whether Xbox One will have hUMA or not.

The author in the article you just linked jumps to conclusions prematurely: Only because Kabini doesn't have hUMA (which we know since several months already) doesn't mean that PS4 won't have it. PS4 is a custom design. PS4 has 8 ACEs and 64 Queues, Kabini has only 4 ACEs and 32 Queues. PS4 has GDDR5 memory controller, Kabini only has DDR3. PS4 has two graphics command processors, Kabini only has one. PS4 is a heavily customized system.

Refilling the tub right now.

No, the quote said that the AMD APU that PS4 and XBO are based on doesn't support hUMA. But Sony made their own customizations to this APU. It is possible that these customizations allow the PS4 to support hUMA. (Note that I have no idea whether they do or not.)

Vestal

Gold Member

you are glossing over the inaccurate part.

Metfanant

except...that the PS4 and Xbone do not use off the shelf "Kabini" APU's...i would expect AMD to know this and not use "Kabini" in direct reference to the PS4 or Xbone...

Kabini has a 4 (jaguar) core CPU...and a GPU with 2 CU's (PS4 has 18!)...

to simply say either console has a "Kabini" APU is just as inaccurate as anything their "spokesperson" may have said wrong...

inherendo

No it's still Cell it just absorbed x86 to reach it's next transformation.

I assume this is a joke?

Both next gen consoles are using kaveri based apus that AMD has had in the pipeline for a while. They are x86/64 or whatever the nomenclature is. Basically modified apus.

aravuus

Oh come on, how about a straight yes or no for a change lol

I assume this is a joke?

Both next gen consoles are using kaveri based apus that AMD has had in the pipeline for a while. They are x86/64 or whatever the nomenclature is. Basically modified apus.

It is such an obvious joke geez

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Only because Kabini doesn't have hUMA (which we know since several months already) doesn't mean that PS4 won't have it.

Those Garlic/Onion-busses and the volatile tags on cache lines are pretty much hUMA, since all traffic over Onion+ is fully cache-coherent. That is a addition and has little to do with vanilla Kabini.

Honestly, the official statement says "We don't say anything" and that the spokesperson was not supposed to say anything on that topic, hence is statements are officially declined.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
No, the quote said that the AMD APU that PS4 and XBO are based on doesn't support hUMA. But Sony made their own customizations to this APU. It is possible that these customizations allow the PS4 to support hUMA. (Note that I have no idea whether they do or not.)
That is at least what Cerny claims in the April break down and Nikkei reports.

watership

So here is how it's all going to go down:

• One site a few months ago mentioned that hUMA will be in both the Xbox One and
  • PS4.
  • Another site said that only the PS4 has hUMA.
  • AMD will not comment on either console in regards to memory architectures.

So we will believe that PS4 has it, and Xbox One does not. Because it's what we want.

Gestault

That title sure seems inaccurate in light of the actual clarifications. (For posterity's sake, the title at the time of this post is "AMD: PlayStation 4 supports hUMA, Xbox One does not")

There's just one problems with these various reports (VR-Zone, ExtremeTech): they're wrong. After sending some emails to our representatives at AMD I was told that "Kabini doesn't support hUMA" which is the APU that both the PS4 and Xbox One processors are based on. AMD further clarified with us:

Our spokesperson made inaccurate statements about our semi-custom APU architectures and does not speak for Microsoft, Sony or the AMD semi-custom business unit responsible for co-developing the next generation console APUs.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I bought a PS3 in 2006 I know what the fuck I am talking about. Cell absorbed x86 to become stronger and reach a higher power level.

Damn, I have to watch Dragonball, I don't seem to get a lot of jokes around here. :p

PSGames

So here is how it's all going to go down:

• One site a few months ago mentioned that hUMA will be in both the Xbox One and
  • PS4.
  • Another site said that only the PS4 has hUMA.
  • AMD will not comment on either console in regards to memory architectures.

So we will believe that PS4 has it, and Xbox One does not. Because it's what we want.

This seems really accurate.

Not sure we'll have anything officially stated on the matter.

It's funny how people insist on not reading the links they provide.

Our spokesperson made inaccurate statements about our semi-custom APU architectures and does not speak for Microsoft, Sony or the AMD semi-custom business unit responsible for co-developing the next generation console APUs.

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that PS4 or Xbox One don't have huma, just that Kabini doesn't. If the PS4 has a HSA hUMA design, then it doesn't matter it was based on Kabini.

The author of the article draws a parallel between PS4 and Xbox One with Kabini, yet notice how the PS4 and the Xbox One are very different. The author's failure to see the changes is more than enough to tell me he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Refilling the tub right now.

My Hydro/Heating Bill is going to kill me

Metfanant

Assuming this is true. That means that the "confirmed developer" on Reddit was full of shit. Right?

in regards to this "developer"

if he is so close to the hardware of the Xbone...and had literally never heard of hUMA before...but I have!?...that throws up red flags all over the place to me...

Top Bottom