• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's next-gen GPU special "product showcase" to be webcast live on Sep 25

http://www.lowyat.net/2013/09/25/13124/amds-raja-koduri-teases-a-new-product-to-be-revealed-at-tomorrows-gpu-14-event/

If we actually have a list of outrageous briefing venues that we have attended so far, this one is definitely one of the top in the list. Earlier today at the foot of Hawaii’s Diamond Head Crater, AMD’s Corporate Vice President of Visual Computing, Raja Koduri have delivered a short briefing to global media members that are here for the company’s GPU’14 Tech Day showcase that will take place tomorrow.

Among subjects that he discussed at the briefing is about one of the new products that the company will unveil at tomorrow’s event. However, it is not about the new AMD Hawaii GPU itself. While we are not able to call the new product by its name just yet but Raja has stated that it will bring product development for consoles and PC closer together.

Additionally, it will also enable developers to unlock PC’s performance and exploit the full power of AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture that is used for selected Radeon HD 7000 and 8000 series GPUs. Last but not least, Raja also said that the product is “co-developed by game developer, for game developer”.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
has to be an APU. Maybe a bigger one than PS4/Xbox or a range of them, but that's all it can be, right?

could be interesting if leveraged. Get the advantages of HSA but you still have the backup of a regular CPU if needed.

Alasfree

It doesn't need to necessarily be hardware for the Valve Steambox, but instead be for OEM like Alienware that then can sell AMD-based SteamOS-box.

artist

Banned
has to be an APU. Maybe a bigger one than PS4/Xbox or a range of them, but that's all it can be, right?

could be interesting if leveraged. Get the advantages of HSA but you still have the backup of a regular CPU if needed.
Bigger than PS4? I think 8 CUs ..

tipoo

Banned
Lol, sermon on the mountain. AMD is getting weird, but they do seem to be exuding a lot more confidence around this launch then usual. And who wants a conference in a boring conference room anyways.

Here's hoping they do extremely well against Kepler this gen. If the rumors are true, it's pretty incredible, this isn't even a die shrink yet and they're hitting above Titan on the same 28nm with smaller die sizes.

In a PC design though, I'd rather have 4 of their higher performing cores over 8 Jaguars. Next gen games may take better advantage of threads and cores, but it will still take time.

Tenck

This and Steam announcement today, not sure my heart can handle this. COME ON AMD, GIVE NVIDIA SOME COMPETITION!!!

artist

Banned
amd-radeon-r9-290x-nem3yo0.jpg
amd-radeon-r9-290x-ne0bx7m.jpg

amd-radeon-r9-290x-neoqx8j.jpg
amd-radeon-r9-290x-nelux0p.jpg

amd-radeon-r9-290x-ner1bna.jpg
amd-radeon-r9-290x-ne8kan9.jpg

artist

Banned
Does that last pick say 280X or 290X I can't make it out.
290X.

In regards to the Linux as well as console related news;

While speaking at the event, which went down at the Diamond Head state monument, Raja also dropped a few hints about improving AMD’s software and drivers to address issues and improve the user experience for CrossFire and Eyefinity users, and said that Linux users would be happy with some upcoming news as well. Raja also quickly mentioned that AMD’s got some new tools in the works for game developers too, which would ease development on next-gen consoles (which use AMD hardware) and the PC and help the devs to leverage all of the features and capabilities of AMD’s Graphics Core Next architecture.
http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-Hin...evelopment-Tools-and-Linux-Support-In-Hawaii/

Naminator

Banned
Damn, why couldn't the price tag be in the picture! :p

Since they bothered doing a whole live show, I imagine that the price will be announces through an interpretive dance.

Some guy will come out on the stage, take out a wallet dressed in skimpy clothing, and will proceed to rape it.

nbthedude

I don't think so. I think it's Steam Box.

It's a huge fucking coincidence this is the same day and a few hours after Valve's announcement if it's not.

Is that an 8 pin plus a 6 pin connector?

Yes it it, looking at it zoomed in you can see an the second connector is missing a row for it to be 2 8 pins. Looks like an 8 and a 6 pin for sure, wonder how much power this monster is going to draw.

Also, is it just me or does it look a little longer than the reference 7970?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like there is a rumor that there is only one new card (R9 290X) and everything else is going to be straight rebrands? Having GPUs nearly two years old get re-released would be incredibly disappointing.

Azzurri

My old GTX 580 just sold, I have my Asus GTX 780 DCII sitting on my desk for two month notopened. Now I will will wait and see if this R290x is as powerful or more than a Titan for $600.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the 760 or 770 a 680?

Yeah, the rumor is basically that AMD is doing the same thing (edit: were there more changes to the other 700 series cards? I thought they were just clocked differently).

Makes me wonder if there's anything actually new in the 290X, or if it's just a bigger version of the same architecture. This series was supposed to be 20nm and introduce GCN2, we know 20nm isn't happening, so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't introducing their new architecture either.

ethomaz

Banned
Looks like there is a rumor that there is only one new card (R9 290X) and everything else is going to be straight rebrands? Having GPUs nearly two years old get re-released would be incredibly disappointing.
To be fair seems like the R9 290X is not anything new... seems like the chip inside the HD 7970 boosted.

AMD was expecting the 20nm be ready to show a new architecture to replace the actual GCN but I think this will happen only in mid/late 2014.

nVidia Maxwell is waiting the 20nm too.

artist

Banned
It's still disappointing. It was disappointing when nvidia did it and it's disappointing if AMD do it. So what 7970 sold as the 7950 equivalent.
Rebrand is always disappointing no matter who does it.

To be fair seems like the R9 290X is not anything new... seems like the chip inside the HD 7970 boosted.

AMD was expecting the 20nm be ready to show a new architecture to replace the actual GCN but I think this will happen only in mid/late 2014.

nVidia Maxwell is waiting the 20nm too.
Haha, what?
No 20nm = No new arch for both nVidia and AMD.
Uhh, we dont know that yet. So lets wait a few hrs before jumping to conclusions.

It's not overhauled anything, it IS a 680 but upclocked. Shaders, ROPs, TMUs are all identical. The only new cards are 780 and Titan.
Oh no, it's got a new cooler. OVERHAUL!

Top Bottom