• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

UPDATE:

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

lara_3frame.jpg

tress_before_after1.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

TRESSFX: A NEW FRONTIER OF REALISM IN PC GAMING

tress_bannerv5ozi.jpg

People are speculating it's AMD's answer to nvidia's "PhysX". http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=34663235 Possibly hair/character physics?

edit

Hm...

index3du86.jpg

"all new & top secret DX11 effect"?

Could it be..? Physics on Lara's hair?

edit

If they're calling it Tress there's a good chance it's hair physics, since that's...what tress means...

Tresse is the French word for hair braid, so it sounds like hair physics to me.

Next gen is all about that hair and old man textures. Gotta consume that 8GB RAM somehow.

(Since PS4/Nextbox are using AMD, they better have some of AMD's awesomeness in it. They better~!)

Hmmm... I hope it isn't more proprietary bullshit but it's hard to imagine AMD putting too much effort to ensure that it runs well on Nvidiia hardware. Good hair physics would be nice though.

EMT0

Banned
Someone get the hype ball rolling with 'AMD's back!' gifs, and put in Nvidia getting socked in the face.

Fuck AMD and Nvidia with coming up with hardware specific libraries instead of just using a open solution that can work on all cards..........

matmanx1

Next gen is all about that hair and old man textures. Gotta consume that 8GB RAM somehow.

Haha, funnily enough I joked with some friends that I was watching the Sony conference with that every demo or video seemed to have some incredibly detailed old man rendered on the screen at some point. Old man textures, indeed.

But yes, I too hope for improvements in rendering hair and related physics. It's time to move out of the PS2 era in that regard.

Eideka

Banned
AMD waking up, finally.

Nvidia step your game up now, and don't be cheap bastards on the VRAM amount.

Best regards, Eideka, FR.

Cynar

The more things change the more they stay the same.
I remember people making a big deal over Lara's pony tail being animated in TR2.

hahaha I was thinking the same thing. We'll probably always see people making a big deal about it, no matter how far we advance.

GHG

I'm waiting for the inevitable hack that will enable Nvidia users to have this feature as well at better performance levels.

clav

Mildly interested.

Still waiting for June to build a new PC rig as my old LGA 775 motherboard died.

I will switch back to AMD if their new architecture is best performance/buck ratio.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And I bet my nVidia card wont be able to activate the features.

Great. Now I know how AMD users feel.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If every game could have hair tech like Alice: Madness Returns, I would be a very happy consumer.

Lime

oh man, proper hair physics in the coming time would be so great! So far Alice: Madness Returns is the only example I can think of with decent hair:

EDIT: Alo81 knows what's up!

Stet

Banned
If they're calling it Tress there's a good chance it's hair physics, since that's...what tress means...

Haha, funnily enough I joked with some friends that I was watching the Sony conference with that every demo or video seemed to have some incredibly detailed old man rendered on the screen at some point. Old man textures, indeed.

That's because they are harder to model, texture, and animate than bald space marines. You want to show off your talent.

I'm an AMD user right now but when I'm purchasing a new graphics card, I want to base my decision on performance and price, not which proprietary physic api my card runs. Stop this nonsense and someone develop a good open standard so these worthwhile features actually catch on.

Lime

What are the chances developers will even begin to utilize such a feature when they can rely on an easily modelled bald head for their (white) main characters?

I'm an AMD user right now but when I'm purchasing a new graphics card, I want to base my decision on performance and price, not which proprietary physic api my card runs. Stop this nonsense and someone develop a good open standard so these worthwhile features actually catch on.

Completely agreed. Proprietary features are bullshit - stuff like PhysX or supposedly this feature should be open for all games to utilize.

Dec

Since PS4's GPU can dedicate any amount of resouces to compute (like physics) it already can do stuff like this.

Performance of physics engines thus far hasn't been the greatest. Time will tell how this goes, as we haven't really seen anything like that teaser image outside of tech demos rendering nothing but a head and hair.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are the chances developers will even begin to utilize such a feature when they can rely on an easily modelled bald head for their (white) main characters?

Completely agreed. Proprietary features are bullshit - stuff like PhysX or supposedly this feature should be open for all games to utilize.

I feel bald hair isn't overly common these days, but short hair that doesn't really need to react to physics is.

I imagine if it's easy to implement, quality hair is something that would instantly stand out visually for marketing material, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it used IF it is easily implemented.

Top Bottom