• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's "tressfx" unveiled; Lara can take care of her own hair [DX11 compute]

-SD-

Banned
tressfx96efr.png

Fuck AMD and Nvidia with coming up with hardware specific libraries instead of just using a open solution that can work on all cards..........

Anything first party is going to be exclusive. MS really needs to make physics part of the DX spec because at this point no developer has bothered to use direct compute to make a 3rd party engine.

KKRT00

Depending on how you read this sentence, I just wanted to point out that it is potentially hyperbole given that OpenCL was only first created in 2009, and not really put into use until a few years after that.

I was just thinking about this the other day now. In the days of OpenCL and the newer OpenGL standards that also add some more GPGPU features, I would love to see an OpenCL/GL standard for hardware-accelerated physics. The timing is right.

Hopefully TressFX isn't exclusive.

I said they were working, i havent said they've done anything significant :p

I take it next gen consoles will utilize this in some way? I know the PS4 already has a chip to compute so physics but having some tools catered to the GPU isn't so bad. Durango would need it more than PS4. As for PC, this is good for AMD users. If only HD 3D from AMD was good.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Honestly I'm more excited that this means AMD 8000 series may be announced as I'm itching for a new PC build.

Mononoke

Banned
Honestly I'm more excited that this means AMD 8000 series may be announced as I'm itching for a new PC build.

I thought the 8000 series was going be delayed until 2014? I know the AMD guy kind of walked it back. But all he said was he didn't say that, but he also didn't deny it.

I would be kind of surprised if the 8000 series was announced this soon. Just me though.

Bummer I likely won't be able to get the fancy hair on my 670, physx now works for AMD users right? So perhaps once glorious day more games will have Alice: Madness Returns hair ;-; Which by the way, was there ever any discussion of how they achieved that hair? Looked amazing on consoles and PC, didn't seem to use any special tech either.

Bummer I likely won't be able to get the fancy hair on my 670, physx now works for AMD users right? So perhaps once glorious day more games will have Alice: Madness Returns hair ;-; Which by the way, was there ever any discussion of how they achieved that hair? Looked amazing on consoles and PC, didn't seem to use any special tech either.

That's because there isn't anything special about it. Nvidia has demonstrated advanced hair rendering in the past with PhysX tech demos. I really doubt ATI/AMD have invented some amazing new method of rendering hair which is revolutionary and never before seen.

Physx offloads on to the CPU and runs horribly if you do not have an Nvidia card.

I honestly hope their tressFX is just a code name for a broader more powerful physics engine (running on an open standard so we might see it in more things?) and not simply hair. Hair is cool and all... but I want more and as an entitled gamer I demand it!

Pimpbaa

I wonder if AMD is going to do a fancy graphic demo with a pretty girl with awesome looking hair. Anyway, no fancy hair for me in the new Tomb Raider.

Fuck AMD and Nvidia with coming up with hardware specific libraries instead of just using a open solution that can work on all cards..........

Indeed,

I'm not an AMD fanboy, since almost all my previous cards have been NVidia based, but it's good that they're stepping up their game and creating some stiffer competition in the GPU market. Their HD7XXX series cards have actually received a lot of praise, despite a few driver issues. But these GPU exclusive feature sets are becoming a tad bit annoying. I would rather see more open cross compatibility between graphics cards than segregation. But at the same time... this was inevitable. PhysX has been a selling point for NVidia, despite it being an overrated feature that I don't see used much in games, and it was only a matter of time before AMD would come up with their own solution to this.

Cmon AMD, give PC users awesome explosion/smoke tech from PS4.

iJzvbt8D0r4Jl.gif

ibvU6EeXzYe1ZP.gif

There isn't really anything there that couldn't already be done on current higher end GPU's. With game consoles starting to show off stuff like this, it will become commonplace on PC too.

jediyoshi

I honestly hope their tressFX is just a code name for a broader more powerful physics engine (running on an open standard so we might see it in more things?) and not simply hair. Hair is cool and all... but I want more and as an entitled gamer I demand it!

Guns with hair.

Now your guns can have hats.

That's because there isn't anything special about it. Nvidia has demonstrated advanced hair rendering in the past with PhysX tech demos. I really doubt ATI/AMD have invented some amazing new method of rendering hair which is revolutionary and never before seen.

True enough, just imagine with the specific tech in place more games will use it as compared to whatever Alice did years ago having not been used since. The bummer is that I'll have to stick to crap hair despite having a decent card but oh well.

And I don't remember any games using Phsyx for hair, mostly particle/cloth effects and the like. There were certainly tech demos showing it off though.

AMD's marketing manager for high end discrete GPUs commented on this topic at OCN:
We're not going to do the same, because we don't believe in cutting out half of the market with proprietary technologies. The OpenCL/DirectCompute capabilities of Graphics Core Next, or your friendly local processor, are capable of everything PhysX is doing without locking users out of features they should be able to run if it weren't for a silly and arbitrary lockout.

Few people know that PhysX is a carbon copy of OpenCL with a handful of NVIDIA-specific features. That means if PhysX can do it, OpenCL can do it. Gamers should be asking game developers to do more open physics work, because that is the roadblock.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1364404/gpu-physx-coming-to-amd/0_100#post_19374275
It sounds like this won't be a proprietary technology.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I like that the ad is somewhat tongue in cheek, as a press event on virtual hair rendering is pushing it a bit. Hopefully it's part of something a bit larger in scope.

AMD: "This is *my* laboratoire!"

Nice one. Quoting because I got the reference.

RiverBed

Banned
Seeing AMD's connection with next-gen system, could we see this feature or something like it in the coming consoles? I am soooo tired of bald space marines. Good hair and cloth animation goes a long way.

Seeing AMD's connection with next-gen system, could we see this feature or something like it in the coming consoles? I am soooo tired of bald space marines. Good hair and cloth animation goes a long way.

My guess is that this is going to be an extention of OpenCL versus new dedicated hardware functions which would make it compatible (but not necessarily intended) for any existing DX10/11 hardware.

I could be wrong though and this could be all part of DX11.1's enhanced Direct Compute spec... Everyone ready for Windows 8!?!? (/sarcasm)

teh_pwn

I thought the 8000 series was going be delayed until 2014? I know the AMD guy kind of walked it back. But all he said was he didn't say that, but he also didn't deny it.

I would be kind of surprised if the 8000 series was announced this soon. Just me though.

It actually wouldn't be that unusual. They typically do annual releases. 7000 series was January 2012. If they announced new GPUs, it wouldn't be widely available until May-June.

I'm just assuming that it's tied to a physics processor, which means new hardware. AMD is also packing in 3 free games with GPUs and the AMD guy dancing around the question suggests they are trying to clear inventory. Also hopeful because I have 6950x2. Totally not worth it to pay $750 to get 2x that with 7970x2. Rather wait for 8970.

Mononoke

Banned
It actually wouldn't be that unusual. They typically do annual releases. 7000 series was January 2012. If they announced new GPUs, it wouldn't be widely available until May-June.

I'm just assuming that it's tied to a physics processor, which means new hardware. AMD is also packing in 3 free games with GPUs and the AMD guy dancing around the question suggests they are trying to clear inventory. Also hopeful because I have 6950x2. Totally not worth it to pay $750 to get 2x that with 7970x2. Rather wait for 8970.

I know it's not unusual, but word on the street was that they were delaying these series to Q4 this year vs Q2 (which is when they usually come out).

What will be the difference between 7970 and 8970. Has there been any rumors? I thought the 8000 series was just going to be a re-release of the 7000 series, slightly tweaked. Could have sworn I read that somewhere.

teh_pwn

I know it's not unusual, but word on the street was that they were delaying these series to Q4 this year vs Q2 (which is when they usually come out).

What will be the difference between 7970 and 8970. Has there been any rumors? I thought the 8000 series was just going to be a re-release of the 7000 series, slightly tweaked. Could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Nah, you're thinking of the OEM release which really are 7000 series rebranded.

GPUs usually are good about keeping up with Moore's law, so for 1 year I expect 50% faster.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

funny thing is that Alice 2 hair was done by one person(yes only one guy) at spicy horse.

there is a post about how the dude do it the Alice OT iirc.

elohel

And I bet my nVidia card wont be able to activate the features.

Great. Now I know how AMD users feel.

how many years did it take to have empathy? lol

feel our pain bro

feel it

jk

this actually only recently affected someone I know because of how much card you get for your buck with AMD and physX was in the way of the decision(he's leaning more towards AMD though)

eastmen

Banned
windows blue is rumored for late summer with ie11 , dx 12 and battery / speed increases to the OS along with a reduction in the OS foot print.

My guess is that Durango will run Windows Blue.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm tired of this exclusive bullshit, I'm not buying a gimped game, period.

bitter former AMD owner here

Top Bottom