• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TressFX 2.0 by AMD - Now with hair, fur and grass physics

MilkBeard

Using this technology for more than just hair is a good idea, and makes me imagine what grass, fur and hair would look like if it were implemented well throughout a game.

I'd like to see it, but I don't think our new gen consoles are up to the challenge of rendering that seriously with everything else involved as well. But if we see lesser implementations of that, it would still be cool.

KKRT00

A-Buffer Fill is expensive in very close proximity on my 560Ti, up to 7-8ms.
Sorting and drawing is managable, only up to 2ms.
Scene and shadow rendering and simulation is almost free.

In typical Lara distance from camera whole scene cost less than 5ms, so its manageable.

---
Any info what A-Buffer Fill is?

Yeah, the cloth simulation and hair effects in Alice being PhysX-based is a common misconception.

A CDPR dev said that the effect may make it into the console versions depending on the resources available once the rest of the game is up and running, but considering the ridiculous performance penalty PhysX typically imposes, I think he was just being diplomatic.

Well, I think it was just a simple case of They didn't know end specs of the consoles yet and couldn't say yes or no to anything, so they left it open.

FLAguy954

Please tell me they learned how to make hair look natural and not always moving even with no wind wasting precious GPU cycles. The first implementation was literally broken and looked like crap most of the time.

Why don't you download the demo in the OP and see the improvements for yourself?

Luthos

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Goddamn I love that .gif. It's amazing the difference it makes.

A-Buffer Fill is expensive in very close proximity on my 560Ti, up to 7-8ms.
Sorting and drawing is managable, only up to 2ms.
Scene and shadow rendering and simulation is almost free.

In typical Lara distance from camera whole scene cost less than 5ms, so its manageable.

---
Any info what A-Buffer Fill is?

Accumulation buffer for the strand of hair?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, I think it was just a simple case of They didn't know end specs of the consoles yet and couldn't say yes or no to anything, so they left it open.

The comment is only a few months old (this year's Gamescom). Even if MS/Sony weren't already manufacturing retail units at that point, the specs certainly would have been more or less set in stone as Microsoft confirmed the slight increase in GPU core clockspeed just a few weeks earlier.

FACE

Banned
I mean more, how it depend really. Bandwidth, raw power etc.

I found more info in TressFX.pdf
It relays on pixel and vertex shader performance. It is also responsible for their AA solution for strains.

-----

Star Citizen.

Man, Star Citizen is using everything!

I hope they implement it on many PS4 games like The Witcher 3 which has good fur tech on wolves, but I think TressFX 2.0 may surpass it with less rerssources. I would have fur on wolves with 30 FPS or even 900p rather than 1080p with old gen wolves, I mean

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

Doge has comptetition

Top Bottom